hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Would it be worth sacrificing the National side for a British League?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES. The sooner the better

33 30.84%
  • NO. We cannot just throw away our heritage.

74 69.16%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member johnrebus's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh ? Wii Code: What ?

British League V Demise of International Side

Given the direct choice of entry to a British League for Scottish clubs but with the likely demise of the Scottish national football team, I think a fair few people - myself included - would delighted to go along with that.

Our international side has been an embarrassment for years , so what would be the big deal?

Watching a crap National side every six months or so, or playing in a British League with a financially level playing field, every week?

You decide.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    No
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnrebus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Given the direct choice of entry to a British League for Scottish clubs but with the likely demise of the Scottish national football team, I think a fair few people - myself included - would delighted to go along with that.

Our international side has been an embarrassment for years , so what would be the big deal?

Watching a crap National side every six months or so, or playing in a British League with a financially level playing field, every week?

You decide.
    Yeh, great plan.

Sink into oblivion in the equivalent of the Championship, with maybe the occasional dip up or down, playing in a set up with clubs who are financially in a completely different league. Level playing field my erky.

Fair salivating a the prospect of menaingless end of season games v Peterborough and Doncaster.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoCarpets View Post
    Yeh, great plan.

Sink into oblivion in the equivalent of the Championship, with maybe the occasional dip up or down, playing in a set up with clubs who are financially in a completely different league. Level playing field my erky.

Fair salivating a the prospect of menaingless end of season games v Peterborough and Doncaster.
    Why wouldn't we be in the same league, in a financial sense, as those clubs in the Championship if we were in their league and receiving the same income from TV etc?

What happens, though, if we eventually become independent? Presumably we would then need to withdraw from the British league and set up the SPL again.

There's no way the English would go for that anyway. What would be in it for them?

No way. We are a nation in our own right and as such we should sort our own affairs.
    What is needed is for the suits in the SFA to stop pandering to the unfirm and a more even split of the revenue from TV rights etc for starters. And how about restricting a no more than 2 non-Scottish players in each team. That way we would be forced to bring on our youngsters and as such make Scottish footnball a force again.

@hibs.net private member
    UK every day of the week.

Left by mutual consent!
    I'll never ever support a team in a British league or a British national team

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Dan View Post
    I'll never ever support a team in a British league or a British national team
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

I cannot believe the amount of people who are for a British team at the expense of our league.

Yes, our league is rubbish and a move to the English leagues would generate more money for us in the long run but we cannot even consider losing our footballing history because of it.

At the time of voting, I did not for one second believe I would be the casting vote from 27 people. Some people should be ashamed!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    I would love a British league. From a Hibs perspective, the only negative is that we would probably never play in Europe again which is a shame for a club like us, but I would happily sacrifice two games every five years for a much more enjoyable season playing more varied teams in a more interesting league.

As far as losing our national team, that would also be a shame but our league situation up here is that poor that I think it is worth it. It's easy for me to say though as I'm not particularly bothered about our national team currently. Why would a British league even affect our agreement with Fifa?

Name a team that generates a better feeling/atmosphere at any stadium they play in that our national side, we don't need a trumpet for it and England have never produced a good atmosphere. Just sit tight in the SPL and when the football gets better in our league we will be happy. I would LOVE to see Manchester United 8-0 hibs instead of an almost expected good performance against one of the two old firm sides.

You decide.
    Na, get a grip!!!!

@hibs.net private member Gettin' Auld's Avatar
    No chance...........

Quote Originally Posted by Gettin' Auld View Post
    No chance...........
    Yes for me. The only drawback is the high and always rising cost of transport. The Scottish team is not worth considering, in my opinion, but it's demise would be by no means certain. A tartan shortbread tin and grannies heilan hame mentallity should not be allowed to hold us back.

@hibs.net private member Gettin' Auld's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sahib View Post
    Yes for me. The only drawback is the high and always rising cost of transport. The Scottish team is not worth considering, in my opinion, but it's demise would be by no means certain. A tartan shortbread tin and grannies heilan hame mentallity should not be allowed to hold us back.
    Do you think the engurlanders will feel the same about possibly losing their national team too, for the sake of a British league?

@hibs.net private member
    I've been saying for ages that a British league would be the best way forward (for us, not the English). The Scottish Leagues are boring and getting worse every year.

The demise of the International side would be a little bit of a shame for those who still watch them. However, Scotland are not going to a major tournament anytime soon, so it would hardly be a terrible loss.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rich Tea12
    i'd sacrifice my own mother if it meant hibs would be a part of something other than the rank rotten SPL.

@hibs.net private member
    I live down south and looked into something along the same lines several years back when the infirm were on about joining the Premiershipand basically.

Any team can join any league within the British Isles. However you would have to join at the lowest level and work your way up as it would cause unrest in the lower league that your team are allowed into a higher league position than them.

If these teams complained to Uefa and it was upheld that a breach of rules had been breached then the Host country in this case England could be removed from European compitions for anything up to 5 years.

It takes roughly 2 years to apply for the new country and roughly 2 years to put your notice in with the country you are registered in.

Not sure if its still the same but basically we would have to join the confrence North and work our way up.

I for one think this would be do able as we would be infront of the ugly sisters the manky mob and the rest of Scotland. But and this is a big But, would us as fans be happy with a low level of football that is lower than ours until we moved up.

GGTTH

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by HibeeMG View Post
    I cannot believe the amount of people who are for a British team at the expense of our league.

Yes, our league is rubbish and a move to the English leagues would generate more money for us in the long run but we cannot even consider losing our footballing history because of it.

At the time of voting, I did not for one second believe I would be the casting vote from 27 people. Some people should be ashamed!
    Wait a minute: the OP did not mention an "English" league - the OP asks about a British league: I voted yes for a British League and I wouldn't have any qualms/problems with a UK national team either. I don't think it would just benefit us (Scotland) BTW, it would (IMO) also benefit the English/NI and Welsh teams, surely? My understanding of the OP is a British league and (by inference) a UK national team - maybe I read it wrong through?

Ashamed - of what exactly? - Disagreeing with you??

Given that it's looking increasingly likely that we'll be independent by 2015, I think we're stuck with a Scottish National Team.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Purple & Green View Post
    Given that it's looking increasingly likely that we'll be independent by 2015, I think we're stuck with a Scottish National Team.
    Not so sure about that.

Within hours of the SNP landslide victory, President Soapy was playing down the full independence thing..........,

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    Wait a minute: the OP did not mention an "English" league - the OP asks about a British league: I voted yes for a British League and I wouldn't have any qualms/problems with a UK national team either. I don't think it would just benefit us (Scotland) BTW, it would (IMO) also benefit the English/NI and Welsh teams, surely? My understanding of the OP is a British league and (by inference) a UK national team - maybe I read it wrong through?

Ashamed - of what exactly? - Disagreeing with you??

No, you read it exactly right.

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Scotland team might be rubbish but at least its ours!

Sort our league first. We used to be able to compete with anyone in any league - this is what we need to return to!

I would never sacrifice Scotland, in all my years I dont think i have heard something as ludcrous as this? mind you the stuff they spout at the PBS IS worse, that there are already 22 folk voting for it is beyond belief, for Scotland bashing, this board has been a pain in the arse, but to bring it to this level is amazing. call yirsel Scots its folk(edited) like you that would have sold us oot tae the english 300 yrs ago.scottish fitba has only itself to blame for the mess its in and no moving to a british league will change that, folk forget that small clubs in england are actually pulling in more crowds than we do, we wouldnt survive 5 mins in england due to the fact we dont have a big fanbase to sustain it. Not even if after 10 -15 yrs of eventually getting into the top league would we stay there with all the TV revenue/advertising.
    Scotland may be pi5h but they are my pi5h.

Coaching Staff
    As I have said elsewhere, this isn't just an issue which might compromise Scotland's status. The existence of an English national team is as much a concession and quirk of history as the existence of a Scotland team.

If there was even the remotest risk of us losing our international status, I would be against it. People like to bump their gums about how terrible the national team is. I think we have a lot to look forward to, especially as the number of young Scottish players going down south is increasing.

Countries of a comparable size do not have particularly exciting leagues either and many of their international team are homegrown then exported. Denmark, Sweden etc.

Also not to be forgotten is the fact that as a footballing nation, we have a better than average record in qualifying for the World Cup.

It would mean that our annual quest for the Scottish Cup would be over.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    It would mean that our annual quest for the Scottish Cup would be over.
    And we'd never qualify for Europe, as opposed to just rarely.

Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    Also not to be forgotten is the fact that as a footballing nation, we have a better than average record in qualifying for the World Cup.
    That may be a fair point, but as my German wife says: we (Scotland) are always home before the postcards!

You decide.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    That may be a fair point, but as my German wife says: we (Scotland) are always home before the postcards!
    Psychologically, we're usually home before we've got on the plane.