hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar

Hibs Scouting co-ordinator - David Woodison

I'm just curious as to whether anyone knows about the guy with a fairly senior position within Hibs.

I'm presuming this is the one and the same guy here but not sure of credentials gained since?

http://www.killiefc.com/DoYouRemember/DavidWoodison.htm

Also it would appear he run the Killie Supporters Club in Edinburgh as recently as 3 years ago.

Generally just interested in the guy as can't recall any official announcement or comment

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    Sure he used to post on here - thedoomed?

I emailed the club over a year back with a suggestion to try for a young german right back on loan and think it was this guy who replied.

No doubt this thread will be brought to his attention. Sebastian Jung was the players name and he will likely be sold for between £3-£5m this summer. He was third choice at the time though..... altho the response was that there wouldnt be enough time in the window to check him out.

Matty Jack would be a good contact for Hibs re German players as he himself mentioned in Holland in the summer.

Here to help.
    Last edited by DC_Hibs; 31-05-2011 at 09:49 PM.

head from a number of sources that the guy in Question (Woodison) is Scott Lindsay's brother in law and that he was brought in to be "chief scout" without Yogi's agreement and totally against his wishes, Calderwood also did not wish him to be in that position but was told he would be the guy to scout players.

Wasn't sure how much of that was correct especially after the board said on Tuesday at the AGM that they always did what the "manager wanted" with regards the football side of things.

however I have been told that the Sunday mail has a piece on this today.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    head from a number of sources that the guy in Question (Woodison) is Scott Lindsay's brother in law and that he was brought in to be "chief scout" without Yogi's agreement and totally against his wishes, Calderwood also did not wish him to be in that position but was told he would be the guy to scout players.

Wasn't sure how much of that was correct especially after the board said on Tuesday at the AGM that they always did what the "manager wanted" with regards the football side of things.

Would be interesting tae find out if there's any truth in that. Wouldnae exactly fit in with the boards nae interference in fitba matters statements. Then there was Derek Adams thing, who's idea was his appointment?
    Last edited by Saorsa; 13-11-2011 at 01:37 PM.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    "If he guides us to Europe, I’d do my best to be there, pissed, the right way to follow Killie. "

Former Player in drinking claim shocker!

"i don't recognise that characterisation" :)

Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Dan View Post
    Would be interesting tae find out if there's any truth in that. Wouldnae exactly fit in with the boards nae interference in fitba matters statements.
    I was told this a few times before the AGM but to be honest I didnt really know how much of it was true but I have heard it from another 2 people since Tuesday,

the other thing that worries me is that this lad is very very young to be in, what is the "chief scout" role, how does he have the trusted contacts at that age, surely a network of contacts takes many years to get?

@hibs.net private member
    I was told this a few times before the AGM but to be honest I didnt really know how much of it was true but I have heard it from another 2 people since Tuesday,

the other thing that worries me is that this lad is very very young to be in, what is the "chief scout" role, how does he have the trusted contacts at that age, surely a network of contacts takes many years to get?

You sure you got the right guy?

If true, would concern me. What are his qualifications and credentials for the job?

Is this for sure? Would lead me to seriously question the club's approach to scouting players, if so.

I would advocate the club looking at how Lyon built their success in France and the club's approach to scouting players and the transfer market. Somebody will say 'ah, but they are a Champions League club who have won the French title loads of times recently. We don't have the resources'. Well, they started from the French second division in the late 1980s and worked their way up from there.

@hibs.net private member

How old do you think Woodison is?

@hibs.net private member
    One of the columnist, cant remember which one, in the Sunday mail made references to Hibs backroom team and made reference that someone got a job on the back of being a relation to a director. When I read it I did not have a clue but it now makes a bit more sense. What is clear whoever comes in must be given control of all footballing appointments.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser1962 View Post
    You sure you got the right guy?

yep, maybe its the old fashioned football way, but I would imagine that the position of chief scout would be a guy in his late 40's to 50's with around 20 years of experience of scouting players and gaining reliable contacts.

How old do you think Woodison is?
    if its the same guy that used to play for Killie then he is 26

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    One of the columnist, cant remember which one, in the Sunday mail made references to Hibs backroom team andmade reference that someone got a job on the back of being a relation to a director. When I read it I did not have a clue but it now makes a bit more sense. What is clear whoever comes in must be given control of all footballing appointments.
    Not only interference then but nepotism as well

@hibs.net private member
    if its the same guy that used to play for Killie then he is 26
    I dont think it is. Either that or he has had a really hard paper round.

@hibs.net private member
    Not only interference then but nepotism as well

You're not sure though.

It's Gordon Waddell

http://blogs.dailyrecord.co.uk/gordo...eith.html#more

And the answer is: Control.

Petrie will defend his record and say every manager has been given the resources to change the team, but he'd be being disingenuous.

He doesn't give them control. Never says: "Your playing budget is £x, spend it as you see fit."

He asks for their list and says he'll do his best to negotiate. So when personnel DO come in, they're rarely the guys at the top of the "wants".

That has to change. As does his reticence to allow a boss to bring his own staff. Dressing rooms are built on trust and no manager wants to feel like he has guys around him who aren't loyal.

So that means if the new guy wants to clean out the physios' room, wants his own chief scout instead of someone's relative, give him it.

Left by mutual consent!
    You're not sure though.
    You're right that's why I said in my 1st post it would be interesting if there was any truth in it. And even if he's nae relation who ever he is, it seems he was appointed against the manager's wishes. That's interference in fitba matters IMO.

But that disnae happen, right?
    Last edited by Saorsa; 13-11-2011 at 02:09 PM.

I dont think it is. Either that or he has had a really hard paper round.
    just had it confirmed on the phone and it is the same guy who played for Killie

he has had the same problem as me, ate too many pies over last few years

@hibs.net private member
    just had it confirmed on the phone and it is the same guy who played for Killie

he has had the same problem as me, ate too many pies over last few years
    Me too.

He's in this photo then apparently, judge for yourself.

http://www.justgiving.com/Hibernian-Runners/3

@hibs.net private member
    You're right that's why I said in my 1st post it would be interesting if there was any truth in it. And even if he's nae relation who ever he is, it seems he was appointed against the manager's wishes. That's interference in fitba matters IMO.

But that disnae happen, right?
    Do you have proof that it does?

If Yogi didnt appoint David Woodison (if he's the current chief scout) then he has every right to come out and say so as Rod would have been clearly lying. After all he has plenty to say at other times.

There may also be legal issues involved about deliberately lying to shareholders.

Left by mutual consent!

That's interesting again. I was looking back over the AGM thread about who is responsible for the chief scout and the answer tae the question was
    The chief scout can be changed if the manager chooses. The current chief scout was employed by John Hughes.

@hibs.net private member
    That's interesting again. I was looking back over the AGM thread about who is responsible for the chief scout and the answer tae the question was

My point exactly.

Whether he's related to SL, or anybody else for that matter, I dont give a hoot. If it so happens he's sleeping with FH I really couldnt care less.

If, however, he is not qualified to do the job then thats a different matter entirely.

Left by mutual consent!
    Do you have proof that it does?

If Yogi didnt appoint David Woodison (if he's the current chief scout) then he has every right to come out and say so as Rod would have been clearly lying. After all he has plenty to say at other times.

There may also be legal issues involved about deliberately lying to shareholders.
    Where did I say I had any proof of anything. I'm just comparing the 3rd post tae the answer given at the AGM.

Maybe it's just a coincidence and Yogi did appointed Lindsay's brother in law as chief scout.

@hibs.net private member
    Where did I say I had any proof of anything. I'm just comparing the 3rd post tae the answer given at the AGM.

Maybe it's just a coincidence and Yogi did appointed Lindsay's brother in law as chief scout.
    We dont know thats what happened though.

As prevous posts have said, and been confirmed, the guy is 26. Check the link below and tell me which of these guys you think is 26.

As i said in my previous post I don't really care who he's related to but if he's not qualified to be in post then theres a huge problem.
    Last edited by Kaiser1962; 13-11-2011 at 02:53 PM.

Left by mutual consent!

As prevous posts have said, and been confirmed, the guy is 26. Check the link below and tell me which of these guys you think is 26.

As i said in my previous post I don't really care who he's related to but if he's not qualified to be in post then theres a huge problem.
    Maybe he's had a hard life and taken tae the pies but the guy in the white T-Shirt - a stone (at least in the face) looks a bit like the guy in the link in the 1st post (or maybe it's just me).

pic

I dinnae really care who he's related tae either (though it'd be a mighty coincidence that he just happened tae be related tae a board member) I'm only really interested in the part of the rumour that he was appointed against the wishes of Hughes and wisnae wanted by Calderwood either, that would be interference. I'm no saying it's true one way or the other or accusing anybody of anything but I wouldnae find it hard tae believe.
    Last edited by Saorsa; 13-11-2011 at 05:17 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    It's Gordon Waddell

http://blogs.dailyrecord.co.uk/gordo...eith.html#more

And the answer is: Control.
    That may come from somebody at the daily record and I wouldnae normally give it the time of day but it fits perfectly, Petrie the control freak and interferer sounds right tae me, he's the common denominator.
    Last edited by Saorsa; 13-11-2011 at 03:14 PM.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    That may come from somebody at the daily record and I wouldnae normally give it the time of day but it fits perfectly, Petrie the control freak and interferer sounds right tae me, he's the common denominator.
    So you could believe that Petrie would appoint Lindsay's Brother in law to keep control?

Me too.

He's in this photo then apparently, judge for yourself.

I'm almost certain that the guy in the Hibs charity run photo is the same guy as in the Killie article (who was released in 2002/03). According to the Killie website, he turned 26 in February.

Considering that he gave up full-time football around the age of 17 before going on to do a Business and Economics degree at HW for four years, I'd love to know what he did in the two years after Uni to qualify him as a Chief Scout (let's assume that he did more than marry a sibling of Lindsay or his missus).

I might become a Chief Scout if you only need two years to become one!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    I'm almost certain that the guy in the Hibs charity run photo is the same guy as in the Killie article (who was released in 2002/03). According to the Killie website, he turned 26 in February.

Considering that he gave up full-time football around the age of 17 before going on to do a Business and Economics degree at HW for four years, I'd love to know what he did in the two years after Uni to qualify him as a Chief Scout (let's assume that he did more than marry a sibling of Lindsay or his missus).

I might become a Chief Scout if you only need two years to become one!
    The thing is beefster, I really wouldn't be worrying too much about his role or that of 'chief scout'.

I know two or three scouts and they pretty much act either independantly, or indeed at the bequest of a manager (and report to him informally, by-passing any scouting mechanism in place at the club). Many times it happens that it is an ex player who is friendly with the manager (as is in the case of one of the Oldham scouts I know.....he is best mates with Paul Dickov).

Add into the mix the 'scouts' that watch juvenile football and attract youth players, there are literally hundreds out there.

I would think the role of 'chief scout' is to collate and review many of the CV's, faxes, tip off's and updated Bosman's. Then report this back. A bit like a manager's PA. Saying that, if he didn't spot the flaws in Valdas Trakys' CV then deary me

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    The thing is beefster, I really wouldn't be worrying too much about his role or that of 'chief scout'.

I know two or three scouts and they pretty much act either independantly, or indeed at the bequest of a manager (and report to him informally, by-passing any scouting mechanism in place at the club). Many times it happens that it is an ex player who is friendly with the manager (as is in the case of one of the Oldham scouts I know.....he is best mates with Paul Dickov).

Add into the mix the 'scouts' that watch juvenile football and attract youth players, there are literally hundreds out there.

I would think the role of 'chief scout' is to collate and review many of the CV's, faxes, tip off's and updated Bosman's. Then report this back. A bit like a manager's PA. Saying that, if he didn't spot the flaws in Valdas Trakys' CV then deary me
    There are a few aspects of this that don't sit well if this is true:

1) Woodison's experience and aptitude for the post. Even a Chief Scout with the role of collating the reports of others has to be able to make a shrewd judgment himself before putting the player forward as an option for the Manager to consider. Otherwise even I could do the job!

2) Was Woodison chosen for what he could bring to the role or was it just convenient nepotism plus the benefit of a relatively cheap option in hiring someone who's not yet 30?

3) Given his close links with SL, does the Chief Scout report exclusively to the Manager as he should do or is there the 'risk of interference' from the Board?

Not a healthy arrangement, if truth be told. I'm sincerely hoping there are two David Woodisons and ours is not the former Killie player.