hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar

10 Team SPL Looking Dead In The Water (Merged re-construction threads)

Radio Scotland news reporting the 10 team idea looking like it's been scuppered. seemingly the 8 'rebel' clubs had a meeting at tynecastle today and the preference is 14.
    The only once left preferring 10 are Hibs, huns, celtic & Aberdeen.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member R'Albin's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Razza96
    Good.

Left by mutual consent!
    Well done tae those clubs (apart fae h****s) opposing this

too bad my own isnae amongst that number
    Last edited by Saorsa; 31-05-2011 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Dan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well done tae those clubs (part fae h****s) opposing this

too bad my own isnae amongst that number
    On the contrary, guv'nor...Hearts should be applauded as well for taking a stand.

Only one small clap for them though.
    0-7

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie Reed View Post
    On the contrary, guv'nor...Hearts should be applauded as well for taking a stand.

Only one small clap for them though.
    that'll be the only stand they are having

Maybe I missed this but why do hibs want a 10 man league?

Also if it goes to 10 teams is there still a split?

Will play offs come into play?

Will the TV / sponsorship money get split equally?

@hibs.net private member SneakersO'Toole's Avatar
    Maybe now all the Hibs fans on here who refused to buy season tickets because of the proposed 10 team league will dip into their pockets and cough up...

Our chairman is a tit. Could not care less about fans. Its all money, money, money for him.

A 14 team league sounds better than 10 but ideally if they go for that it should be with the longer term view of increasing it to 16 then 18 and do away with the daft split. It is ambitious to have 18 top flight teams in Scotland but for as long as I can remember everything about Scottish football has been negative so why not think positive for a change?

Quote Originally Posted by cwilliamson85 View Post
    Maybe I missed this but why do hibs want a 10 man league?
    Same amount of TV money spread over 2 fewer teams= more money for Hibs

More games against the old firm=more away fans and potential net gain in home fans=more money for Hibs

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NYHibby View Post
    Same amount of TV money spread over 2 fewer teams= more money for Hibs

More games against the old firm=more away fans and potential net gain in home fans=more money for Hibs
    bigger penalty for finishing tenth though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@hibs.net private member
    I still don't really know why people are so keen on seeing us playing the 11th-14th best teams in Scotland rather than more games against the better teams. A dilution of the quality isnt going to make for better games

Quote Originally Posted by allezsauzee View Post
    I still don't really know why people are so keen on seeing us playing the 11th-14th best teams in Scotland rather than more games against the better teams. A dilution of the quality isnt going to make for better games
    Going one further, I don't understand why people want us to play the 16th or 18th team. Qos would be the 16th team. They finished 21 pts behind Dunfermline. Their stadium has only 3,500 seats

Great idea 14 teams -spread all the sponsorship and media money over more teams so we'll get less -its got no chance.Fewer home games also.
    Last edited by ancient hibee; 31-05-2011 at 07:24 PM.

Going one further, I don't understand why people want us to play the 16th or 18th team. Qos would be the 16th team. They finished 21 pts behind Dunfermline. Their stadium has only 3,500 seats
    Variety and freshness are the reasons I would give for a 16 team league although I wonder about the depth of quality being strong enough. You only have to look at the cup results to see there are teams out there who can beat SPL teams including our own from the lower leagues on a one off basis.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    With 14 teams there would still be a split surely? Presuming the split is an even number it will be top 8/bottom 6 or top 6/bottom 8. How can you be expected to buy an ST not knowing how many games you're paying for?

I really can't see how this improves the existing 12 team set up apart from making it virtually certain we won't ever get relegated.

A 16 team league only gives us 30 games a season and there is zero chance ST prices would come down.

Can anyone give me a reason why Hibs, the OF and Aberdeen should accept this as better than the existing format?
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Great idea 14 teams -spread all the sponsorship and media money over more teams so we'll get less -its got no chance.Fewer home games also.
    It has every chance , i know you love the idea of seeing the OF more often but many more would like to see things freshened up , as for less money get the winners and runners up to take less(the OF) and distribute the cash equally. Bigger league cup or scottish cup home and away-sorted.

A 14 team league means we retain the split or play each other three times a season. We would be as well sticking with twelve teams. This has to include a plan to get us to an 18 team league eventually, I will be interested to see if this is even being considered.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

First Team Breakthrough Hibeesb0unc3's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DILL0N TAYL0R
    Having a bigger league would freshen the league up and hopefully bring some competitiveness back.

Plus if there was a 10 team this year if you take away the points we got from hamilton and stmirren then the bottom of the table would have look like this

hibs 26 points
    aberdeen 25 points
    st johnstone 26 points

we would have been in the relgation play off due to us having a worse goal difference than st johnstone and with our form you could well have lost and would have been playing the 13th- 22nd teams in scotland

Quote Originally Posted by down the slope View Post
    It has every chance , i know you love the idea of seeing the OF more often but many more would like to see things freshened up , as for less money get the winners and runners up to take less(the OF) and distribute the cash equally. Bigger league cup or scottish cup home and away-sorted.
    I disagree. People want the Scottish game to improve/be a better quality. That is not the same as fresher.

If you want to "freshen" up the game, you would propose making the SPL amateur. That would result in dramatic different outcomes than a 14 or 16 team league.

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Great news, I hope that Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Edinburgh's representative now resign from the SPL and join the English and Welsh counterparts in a newly created UK League sponsored by the SKY millions.

Income will go through the roof, season tickets will rocket, players will flock to play at the East Coast's finest stadium and with East Mains only a stones throw from Newcastle we will attract top notch players that we couldn't before and hit the Championship in no time. Fill in the corners to accommodate the extra thousands when Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal come calling as part of the UKPL.

I see Aberdeen also have the same ambition by representing the north of Scotland in their own fully finished stadium which will be sponsored by some oil conglomerate based in Aberdeen when the 4 top Scottish teams eventually leave this footballing backwater.

Hearts meanwhile will play Ayr United for the right to call themselves Scottish Regional Champions and enter the Champions League 1st qualifier before their season actually finishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesb0unc3 View Post
    Having a bigger league would freshen the league up and hopefully bring some competitiveness back.
    Disagree again. A larger league would be less competitive at the top. Celtic and Rangers would still have their European money while the rest of the teams would be worse off. The odds that a Hibs or Hearts could get the quality of players needed to win the league would decrease.

Other than for first and second, is the league really that uncompetitive? Is competition for the middle of the table really a pressing issue right now?

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post
    Our chairman is a tit. Could not care less about fans. Its all money, money, money for him.
    WTF does he do with all this money? The man is clueless.

@hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    With 14 teams there would still be a split surely? Presuming the split is an even number it will be top 8/bottom 6 or top 6/bottom 8. How can you be expected to buy an ST not knowing how many games your going to play?
    I would think it would be top 6 bottom 8 given the potential for cup games etc for top teams by the time of the split. The season ticket issue would probably be resolved on the basis of of an extra Cat B game due to missing out on a Cat A game.
    But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

Lay off the doonhammers! They may only have 3500 seats but they also have a terrace and I'd love to see grounds with terraces in the top league (they play SC games against SPL teams there so I don't see why it should be a problem). The whole idea in theory is that a bigger league with the money spread more evenly would improve the standards of the likes of QOS and in turn this would improve the likes of Hibs, Aberdeen, UTD etc.as there would be a better level of footballer in the SPL meaning we (and the other larger clubs) would be in position to attract some of the better players in the league, thus performing better in Europe and beginning an upward spiral.

The key words there though are "in theory"! Who knows if it would improve the game? One things for sure, the game's being going downhill for a long time now so something has to be done.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    John Yorkston claims a 14 represents the wishes of the fans. Ehhhhhhh when exactly?

Any time a poll was taken a 16 or 18 were always miles in front of other options. What we have with a 14 is change for changes sake and clubs saving their own skin ensuring they still have the chance of 4 games against the top clubs or extra games if they miss out on the top 6.

Scottish football chairmen are pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    John Yorkston claims a 14 represents the wishes of the fans. Ehhhhhhh when exactly?

Any time a poll was taken a 16 or 18 were always miles in front of other options. What we have with a 14 is change for changes sake and clubs saving their own skin ensuring they still have the chance of 4 games against the top clubs or extra games if they miss out on the top 6.

Scottish football chairmen are pathetic.
    Some of the chairman may be pathetic but the ones who met yesterday would seem to have the fans wishes at heart rather more than the ones who didn't.

You are correct the fans preference as polled was miles in favour of 16/18 team league. The response to that from the SPL was the status quo was not an option. What they told us was we would get a 10 team league. Any other option we were told would cut in half the games income. That was a lie of such staggering proportion it would have made FIFA blush.

The fans who voted for a 16/18 league clearly want a bigger league. If the only choice they are given is 10 or 14 they will pick 14. It looks to me that all but two of the non OF clubs chairman are trying to give their fans what they want. Sadly but predictably we are not one of them. Our chairman knows whats good for us better than we know for ourselves.

I think this is great news as i'm completely opposed to a ten team spl, after all, it's cause that wasn't working that we moved to the current setup.

However on the topic of Hibs as a club being in favour of a 10 team spl, to me its no wonder Petrie wants a league which provides the most income given the routine abuse he gets for "not investing" in the side. Or as i see it, not burdening the club with more debt it has strived for 20 years to reduce.

Quote Originally Posted by pentlando View Post
    I think this is great news as i'm completely opposed to a ten team spl, after all, it's cause that wasn't working that we moved to the current setup.

However on the topic of Hibs as a club being in favour of a 10 team spl, to me its no wonder Petrie wants a league which provides the most income given the routine abuse he gets for "not investing" in the side. Or as i see it, not burdening the club with more debt it has strived for 20 years to reduce.
    The loss of income (if any) from dividing the pot 14 ways rather than 10 could be compenstated if the pot was shared fairly among the clubs - like it is in most leagues - rather than the lions share going to the huns/tims who need it least.
    That would require standing up to the OF which needs unity and Petrie is not willing to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna_Asylum View Post
    The loss of income (if any) from dividing the pot 14 ways rather than 10 could be compenstated if the pot was shared fairly among the clubs - like it is in most leagues - rather than the lions share going to the huns/tims who need it least.
    That would require standing up to the OF which needs unity and Petrie is not willing to do that.
    However with it requiring a 11-1 majority in any voting process, i think we're all being naive if we think either side of the old firm will vote in favour of reducing their share.