hibs.net Messageboard

Palsson heartbreak - not going to the U21 euros

Victor Palsson has been left out of the 23 man Iceland squad which will be going to the european championship finals in Denmark next month.

Baffling decision imo because although Palsson would not have been in the starting lineup he would have been a good option on the bench.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Victor Palsson has been left out of the 23 man Iceland squad which will be going to the european championship finals in Denmark next month.

Baffling decision imo because although Palsson would not have been in the starting lineup he would have been a good option on the bench.
    Played himself out of it by only having a couple of good games for us since he arrived.

He's got the ability but he has produced nothing like the form he showed in first home game against St Mirren.

He looked like he could be a Sauzee type but since then his range of passing has disappeared and he's now just being rash in the tackle instrad of commanding.

Young lad though so hopefully he will learn what it takes to play to his level every week.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rich Tea12
    looked a great addition at first but then was brought down to our level by the ***** around him!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Played himself out of it by only having a couple of good games for us since he arrived.

He's got the ability but he has produced nothing like the form he showed in first home game against St Mirren.

He looked like he could be a Sauzee type but since then his range of passing has disappeared and he's now just being rash in the tackle instrad of commanding.

Young lad though so hopefully he will learn what it takes to play to his level every week.
    Hopefully this will be the kick in the arse he needs then.

That is a strange one because although his performances have not exactly been great, he has gone from having no first team football experience and being in the squad, to having half a season under his belt and then being dropped.

In all fairness though, I imagine competition for places in the Iceland u-21 team must be fierce. They seem to have a plethora of talent at the moment. Any ideas how this Golden Generation has come about out of nowhere, "Iceman"?

Beligium and Iceland will emerge as international teams to be reckoned with over the next decade IMO

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Personally think Palsson was carrying an injury near the end of the season as he didnt seem to be up with the pace in the last few games. May be one that requires him to rest thereby ruling him out of the u21 competition. I would imagine he will be gutted as that is a massive achievement for Iceland in qualifying and think they can do well in the competition also.

Quote Originally Posted by hibeemikey21 View Post
    That is a strange one because although his performances have not exactly been great, he has gone from having no first team football experience and being in the squad, to having half a season under his belt and then being dropped.

In all fairness though, I imagine competition for places in the Iceland u-21 team must be fierce. They seem to have a plethora of talent at the moment. Any ideas how this Golden Generation has come about out of nowhere, "Iceman"?

Beligium and Iceland will emerge as international teams to be reckoned with over the next decade IMO
    This article explains alot what is happening in Iceland:
    http://www.uefa.com/under21/news/newsid=1588276.html

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    From a very promising start at ER he seems to have just taken it for granted. To be honest the later part of the season he was nothing special. Hopefully this is the wake up call he needs to kick on next season.
    On the plus side he'll be available for the start of pre-season training.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    Kudos to him for his comments about Goodwin though - after the season was over he said he'd been a silly wee laddie regarding Goodwin, as he let his comments about 'getting him' affect his performances and he needed to grow up. I'm sure this was probably "suggested" to him by CC when he nearly decked him after the last St Mirren game but hopefully he'll grow up a bit and show more of his earlier form.

Still think Palsson will come good - once we've sorted out the midfield.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Leitrim Hibee View Post
    Kudos to him for his comments about Goodwin though - after the season was over he said he'd been a silly wee laddie regarding Goodwin, as he let his comments about 'getting him' affect his performances and he needed to grow up. I'm sure this was probably "suggested" to him by CC when he nearly decked him after the last St Mirren game but hopefully he'll grow up a bit and show more of his earlier form.

Still think Palsson will come good - once we've sorted out the midfield.
    I though him, Scott and Thornhill was the sorting out of the midfield?

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Maybe it's because he's nowhere near as good as many on here would have you believe and the Iceland coach realises this?
    Last edited by .Sean.; 31-05-2011 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by .sean. View Post
    Maybe it's because he's nowhere near as good as many on here would have you believe and the Finland coach realises this?
    The Finland coach might think that but dont think he would be in a position to influence the selection of the Iceland squad.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Maybe it's because he's nowhere near as good as many on here would have you believe and the Finland coach realises this?
    What difference does it make to the Finland coach?

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    What difference does it make to the Finland coach?
    <br />
    <br />
    Whoops.

Aye Iceland but same applies. Nowhere near as good as plenty on here and he himself thinks he is.

I was criticised for saying this after his first few games but, much as I like his swagger and energy, I don't think Palsson is ever going to be the player hibs fans seem to think he will be. I don't want to knock the guy, I just don't think he's a particularly technically gifted player and I don't think CC signed him as such. He is extremely quick, strong and athletic, meaning he has the potential to be a relative success in the SPL, but I'd be surprised if he did much more than that. Again, never like to really have a go at players, it's just a subjective viewpoint.

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    I though him, Scott and Thornhill was the sorting out of the midfield?
    Thornhill was short of match-fitness and then got injured. So yes, steps were made in the right direction, but I wouldn't say it's completely fixed.

Plus, if you believe some people on here, Thornhill's crap and Scott runs about like a headless chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by patlowe View Post
    I was criticised for saying this after his first few games but, much as I like his swagger and energy, I don't think Palsson is ever going to be the player hibs fans seem to think he will be. I don't want to knock the guy, I just don't think he's a particularly technically gifted player and I don't think CC signed him as such. He is extremely quick, strong and athletic, meaning he has the potential to be a relative success in the SPL, but I'd be surprised if he did much more than that. Again, never like to really have a go at players, it's just a subjective viewpoint.
    Dont think he is that quick.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Dont think he is that quick.
    He gets around the park well so if he's not quick, he has a good athletic stride.

'S' Form
    Quote Originally Posted by patlowe View Post
    I think these are fair points and i understand the criticism of him. However i can't help but feel his career so far has led to many hibs fans expecting an instant impact from a 19 year old. He has obviously got plenty to learn and in terms of development there is plenty room. He is one of many young players in our team and until they are given a bit of time to prove themselves (success or not) i think we should give them time.

On a different note i am very pleased Welsh has been given a chance to prove himself as i think he has all the ability to play in that role that so far palsson has filled.

Left by mutual consent!
    Although Victor will be gutted to miss out, it will give us a chance to get him match fit, and a good pre-season under his belt. CC was saying he would have to take it easy with him if he made the Iceland squad for the championships, and rest him for the start of the season.

Let's hope he learns from this and starts the season fit and ready.

Good luck Victor

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Personally think Palsson was carrying an injury near the end of the season as he didnt seem to be up with the pace in the last few games. May be one that requires him to rest thereby ruling him out of the u21 competition. I would imagine he will be gutted as that is a massive achievement for Iceland in qualifying and think they can do well in the competition also.
    If he couldn`t keep up with the pace in this lot he really has problems.

Quote Originally Posted by hibeemikey21 View Post
    Yes, that's what I find curious.

Hope this isn't interpreted as the SPL equating to "out of sight, out of mind" for international honours. That wouldn't do us any favours in our efforts to attract to ER young players with aspirations to represent their country.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BEEJ View Post

Hope this isn't interpreted as the SPL equating to "out of sight, out of mind" for international honours. That wouldn't do us any favours in our efforts to attract to ER young players with aspirations to represent their country.
    Totally agree Beej.

We dont do ourselves any favours in this country and put our game down. Feel for the guy.

What strikes me is how good the Iceland U21s must be then. Knew they had a few good players but Victor is versatile so I'm surprised like.

Get rid of him. I am fed up hearing about him.
    Last edited by sahib; 01-06-2011 at 02:27 PM.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: Wiid

Lightbulb

<br />
    <br />
    Whoops.

Aye Iceland but same applies. Nowhere near as good as plenty on here and he himself thinks he is.
    Ah yes self-perception/awareness. Sometimes perhaps we should remember were all human and as you say same rules apply ?
    Good enOugh old enough perhaps but since we are brinin through youth and have a young team let's cast our mind back or forward to the lads age:cgwa
    Last edited by ScapeGoat; 01-06-2011 at 07:42 AM. Reason: I can't ! Blummin iPhone can't scroll down

Coaching Staff

Doesnt seem to have impacted Jonnson at Hearts? No excuses, you play well enough you get recognised. He hasn't been playing well.

Obsessed with the Hibees

I don't think it out of sight out of mind. Eggert got picked from Hearts and he's had a poor season by his own standards.Perhaps there more to his injury. As some have commented he appeared to be carrying an injury at tail end of season.

He is also younger than some so maybe they have gone for a bit more experience.