hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jambo mates?

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar

Jambo mates?

Keep reading about 'My Jambo mate this and my Jambo mate that'. Am I the only one not to have any Jambo mates or do any other good clean Hibbies refuse to fraternise with the enemy? I've got a family member who's a Yam but I try and pretend he's adopted.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TamHibs PSN ID: tamhibs22
    Do you also not have any Celtic or Rangers supporting mates either? I have quite a few Jambo mates who apart from when it comes to their team are good guys. Quite petty if someone wouldnt be mates with someone else just because of the colour of the team they support (even if it is a turd colour )

My wifes side of the family are all Jambo's and a mate from years ago who I played American football with a Rangers man, from ayrshire originally. Mates are mates no matter who they support, they can be from work,school socially, it matters not a jot as it's only football after all.

Maybe it's because I live in Germany and the infestation isn't quite as bad here. Still strange that my whole family are hibbies considering they have a protestant heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberlin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe it's because I live in Germany and the infestation isn't quite as bad here. Still strange that my whole family are hibbies considering they have a protestant heritage.
    Remember Hibs haven't been a catholic club for many a long year, it's a community club now, yes it's roots were catholic but that changed long, long ago. I and many many more supporters are non catholics( I'm athiest ) it's where the club is ( Leith), I'm a leither and went to the games as a laddie with all my mates from the Links area,used to get lifted over the turnstyles when I was wee.

Never trust a yam.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    2 of my best mates are Jambos. Another close mate is Celtic daft. Got a Cowdenbeath supporting mate and my best pal is a Motherwell fan. The rest are either Hibs or Huns.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

****! Just remembered that my old dear is a closet Jambo. Does that make me a mudblood?

My brother-in-law and his son are both Yams. The rest of my family and relations are Hibbys. We outnumber them by about 10 to 1.

First Team Breakthrough HibeeDave's Avatar
    I have no jambo mates, my best mate is a dons fan, down here you're either spurs or a gooner.

we have absolutely no jambos in the family.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: whereswilbur
    My mates are split 50/50 hibees & jambos, most of whom I have known since primary school. We hate each other on derby day, but it's always good banter.

Best mates a jambo.

Keep reading about 'My Jambo mate this and my Jambo mate that'. Am I the only one not to have any Jambo mates or do any other good clean Hibbies refuse to fraternise with the enemy? I've got a family member who's a Yam but I try and pretend he's adopted.

Who's the Blacksheep then

Must be on yer otherside

[QUOTE=Hiberlin;2811990]Maybe it's because I live in Germany and the infestation isn't quite as bad here. Still strange that my whole family are hibbies considering they have a protestant heritage.[/QUOTE]

Not all of us

Im married to one, she was born in Leith but became a jambo because her dad would not take her to ER with him. He liked a bevy with his brothers to much god bless him. I have a good few jambo mates that I feel lucky to have known, dont ever hate anyone because of the team they support, good friends are hard to find.

Honestly, the folk who refuse to be friends with nobody but folk who support the club they do are pathetic.

Got plenty mates / family that support Hearts, work with Rangers, Celtic, Motherwell and Partick Thistle fans. All of em top guys.

Couldn't care less what clubs anybody supports, it's not the be all and end all of how I define myself or anyone else. Unless of course they are your atypical asshole football fan, they I aint mates with them, and include a few Hibs fans I know on that score.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JC50 View Post
    Remember Hibs haven't been a catholic club for many a long year, it's a community club now, yes it's roots were catholic but that changed long, long ago. I and many many more supporters are non catholics( I'm athiest ) it's where the club is ( Leith), I'm a leither and went to the games as a laddie with all my mates from the Links area,used to get lifted over the turnstyles when I was wee.
    Please don't forget there are a lot of us who are descended from the 19th century Irish from the Cowgate who gave birth to the Club. Supporting the Hibs has been handed down through the generations and will continue be.
    I agree the Club has evolved and has become a much loved part of the Edinburgh/Leith community, but roots don't change.

****! Just remembered that my old dear is a closet Jambo. Does that make me a mudblood?

My mates are all sorts, it makes things a bit more interesting - nothing like a good debate over a pint or two In fact I'd say probably the majority are Jambos, I'm from Dalkeith originally and they have a quite a big support there. High school was always an absolute nightmare after a derby game, we almost always lost, and not only was I the only Hibee in my class I'm also a lassie... got the p*ss ripped out of me for weeks!!!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SWYD1875
    Everyone I know or speak to are either Aberdeen, Celtic or Rangers fans (most of the Celtic and Rangers fans are true glory hunters, never been to the grounds and only know the likes of Hooper, Weir and , although I do have a few mates who support Dundee United, Motherwell and even St. Johnstone.

No Jambo or Hibby mates, have seen a few walking about in Ellon & Aberdeen though.

Don't see any problem with having Jambo mates, as long as they can take as well as they give. I'm sure they're good people, deluded yes, but good people non-the-less. Then again, every football fan is slightly deluded in their own way.

You sound like a total sad act.

Yes I have plenty of jambo mates, as well as Hibs, Rangers, Celtic and many others. I don't often agree with a lot of their opinions on football, but it makes things more interesting. If I didn't have jambo mates to slag off after a derby win (or the more frequent occurance of them slagging me off after a derby defeat ) I honestly don't think I'd care nearly as much about the result. It's all about bragging rights, if that didn't exist football would just be like cricket.

I can't stand Hearts and the attitude of many of their supporters, but I think you need to leave the house occasionally and realise that most of them are alright really. If everyone agreed on everything the world would be a boring place, it would basically be hibs.net.

I know quite a few Jambos, have some in my family, and I think of them a bit like house pets. You can have a certain affection for them, but you know that they are never going to be on the same level as you.

My stepdad is a Jambo - wouldn't take me to ER, never tried to take me to Tynecastle either, my mum's side are all Hibby's, so they took me.
    At least he never tried to change me, hit me, yes, but never change me.

He now has no teeth and can be found on brokenman.net.
    Last edited by TrickyNicky; 25-05-2011 at 04:25 AM. Reason: forgot an apostrophe ( and like the word apostrophe ) )

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp View Post
    Please don't forget there are a lot of us who are descended from the 19th century Irish from the Cowgate who gave birth to the Club. Supporting the Hibs has been handed down through the generations and will continue be.
    I agree the Club has evolved and has become a much loved part of the Edinburgh/Leith community, but roots don't change.

I never said not to forget,both my grandads were Irish, was pointing out that religion isn't a factor any more about being a Hibs supporter.

Testimonial Due bighairyfaeleith's Avatar
    I have no jambo mates, not really by design I just don't know any that I would call friends.

Living and working in leith you don't come across that many day to day so it's not that surprising really, I'm sure there are jambos in gorgie/harthill in the same position.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    I don't have any mates.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rich Tea12
    All my dads side of the family are jambos due to willie bauld being a relation.

All my mums side are celtic fans due to them being originally from parkhead

I'm the only hibee in my whole family..... Don't know how that happened!! Glad I didn't follow my families lead though

No Jambo mates here.

@hibs.net private member Hibby Kay-Yay's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ps3 - hibby kay-yay
    Been Best Man at two weddings for jambo's! Always made me smile when I reminded them of this after the tied the knot :)

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    My dad is a jambo and most of my mates are jambos, mums side are all hibs fans. Only have a couple of mates who support hibs

I've got loads of jambo mates....erm about 400,000