hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Question Reasonable expectation level for coming season

What are your expectations for season 2011/12?

I don't mean what you think will happen, rather what you think would be a reasonable level of expectation for Hibs this season, e.g. final league positions, etc, that would make you feel come the end of the season, "yep, that was a decent season".

Mine relates to derby games but I'll leave that till later.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    It is reasonable to hope that Hibs with the finances at their desposal and their facilities should be in the hunt along with the Yams for 3rd place every single season.

For whatever reason, we seem unable to do this except every 5 years or so, it's not good enough really in my opinion.

Getting into the top six should be the bare minimum, finishing in the bottom six for the second year in a row would just be totally unacceptable.

I'd also like to see us getting to Hampden in at least one of the cups.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Getting into the top six should be the bare minimum, finishing in the bottom six for the second year in a row would just be totally unacceptable.

I'd also like to see us getting to Hampden in at least one of the cups.
    After the shocker we've had and the uncertainty about who's going and who might come in, I'd say a 'best of the bottom 6' would be a reasonable expectation.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Bottom of the top six, and no cup exits to teams that are not in the SPL.

top six and hampden once (starting to forget what the place looks like).

Avoiding relegation is a reasonable expectation.
    Last edited by SkintHibby; 20-05-2011 at 08:15 PM.

@hibs.net private member R'Albin's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Razza96
    Top six and. Hampden for me, pretty much same as everyone else. Or I would go as far as finishing 11th and winning the Scottish cup

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Need to see who we sign...At the moment just top 6

Coaching Staff
    We got 4th with crap players and a crap manager. I expect third now we have the right manager and his choice of new players.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Leith Sansiro
    more the 37 points

Anything better than this season and a better standard of entertainment because without the crowds returning we will struggle.

However we do resultwise , it`d be good to see a big improvement in play and level of entertainment but unless there are several big signings I can`t see that happening - more likely a safe but boring top 6 and little else . If we don`t finish in top 4 and entertain I`ll consider it another bad year though a cup final or two would help .

@hibs.net private member
    If Riordan and Miller leave a reasonable expectation would be at least 8 good signings -not all from SFL - will accept 1 poss 2 from there!! - 2 experienced no nonsense CHs, RB, another winger, creative midfielder and 3 strikers

If and that is a massive if that were to happen I would expect minimum of top six but no reason why third should be outwith our reach.

If we go down the route of the names suggested - IE Raith and Ross Co boys - as being targets expectation will be to avoid relegation.

Expectation in reality - Rod not to loosen strings and we are hanging on for dear life - especially if it ends up 3 teams being relegated.

ROD PROVE ME WRONG

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    I'll answer this without looking at other people's threads so I don't get biased.

For me, a very reasonable expectation for next season is definitely Top Six. I know that seems like a low target but it's an improvement over this year and whether you like it or now, it's undeniably progress. It's difficult to say much more since we have no idea who the team is, but I will continue anyway....

The following are what I consider reasonable expectations from top to bottom.

The Board : The board gives the management team a nice wedge of cash for new players. How much is a nice wedge though?

Scouting : 80% of all new blood make a positive impact on the team, excluding players brought in for long-term development.

Management : Consistency. It's good to rotate players now and again but once the core is found, stick with it!

Results : Wins/Draws/Losses for 2010 = 10/7/21 (10th, 37 points). Let's try and win at least half our games e.g., 19/7/12 (3rd, 64 points). (based on 2010's final standings).

Goals : -22 goal difference. That's appalling. We need to get that back into the black.

So while I think that finishing Top Six is realistic, I hope for much more and I honestly don't think I'm being that unrealistic given the changes that are coming. My hope is that these changes will be for the good and that we catch other teams sleeping. Last season should be confined to the archives, never to be repeated for the foreseeable future.

2012/2013 - Splitting the Old Firm.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lofarl
    I expect a treble at the very least. Anything else is a bonus.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofarl View Post
    I expect a treble at the very least. Anything else is a bonus.
    vodka? whisky? tequila?

We could finish anywhere from 3rd ~ 10th. Motherwell, Dun utd, Kilmarnock and Aberdeen are in exactly the same boat . The teams other than Celtic and Rangers are so inconsistant from one season to the next that very few times over the years has a club regularly improved their league position yearly for any period of time. I think one of the main reasons for this is if Motherwell for example were to have a good season and finish 3/4 they would probably have to sell the players who had got them there like Dun utd and kilmarnock this year or indeed ourselves in previous years. With our budget/crowds I think the expectation should be top 6 every year challenging for europe and competing in the later stages of the cup competitions . Even with the season we have just had due to the standard of the league we should be expecting to do this imo.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Top four with a trip to hampden and a couple of wins against the pink mob
    ggtth

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    After this season my expectations arent very high.

Rather than focusing on a certain postion, Id rather see actually improvement in areas of the team, that would allow us to then go for a certain target eg top 6.

Would like to see us have some stability, where we know our best 11 and things arent getting changed drastically nearly every week (especially the keeper, is ridiculous). Would like us to stop conceding daft goals through shocking defending, and feel confident that if we are maybe 1-0 up we can see the game out. Id like to see players who actually have some passion and fight, who arent going to get outplayed by teams who lets face it, we should be beating more often than not. Id like to see some real leadership in the team, someone who is going to organise and get in players faces if they arent pulling their weight.

Im also sick of seeing us getting put out of cups in the first round so thats something that needs to be looked at!

Finishing Top

Of the bottom 3

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar
    I think we will finish third from bottom this season. We lack any creativity and any real goal threat. Will be just about better than st mirren and better than dunfy who will go down for me. Wouldn't surprise me if we didn't beat the old firm all season with the current crop!!

Every season should be top 4 and quarters of the cup for the size of club Hibs are.

We always underachieve though!

@hibs.net private member Don Giovanni's Avatar
    With the 4th largest budget in the league we should be aiming for top 6 minimum & see how we go from there. Anything less is failure.

Calderwood has the enviable position of being able to dump most of the deadwood from previous regimes & trim a bloated squad. The majority of the squad going into next season should be his signings (plus youth team players). Over to you Colin...

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SKIPSTER07
    top 6 but mostly a bit better football and actually looking like a team, not being rolled over by every opponent we meet.2 derby wins as well.

Coaching Staff
    I'm thinking people don't rate CC. His team, no excuses though hardly anyone sees things changing. Interesting!

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    I expect at least 4th place next season. I will be starting the season looking to win it but i could settle for 4th if i could see we could push on from there.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    Top four with a trip to hampden and a couple of wins against the pink mob
    ggtth

Make one of those wins in the SC Final and you're on!

Realistically, it sounds like I'm pretty much in line with everyone else. Top Six, don't get put out the Cup by a lower league team, couple of wins against Hearts and not too much eye bleeding football. Maybe even looking like we're at least challenging for a cup/europe in the latter stages of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    It is reasonable to hope that Hibs with the finances at their desposal and their facilities should be in the hunt along with the Yams for 3rd place every single season.

For whatever reason, we seem unable to do this except every 5 years or so, it's not good enough really in my opinion.
    What finances is that? Hearts spend double what we do so how does that equate?

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We appear to be on a downward spiral so hopefully 11th and not 12th.