hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hibs Shopping List

Tha last few weeks have proved just how little quality we have in the squad to work with. The party line is that we will build a new team in the close season. However the noises being made from CC seem to suggest only a little tinkering will be done. I hope not. We need serious investment.

Today we lost to a very poor Aberdeen side at home in a tribute match to our most famous manager. We also failed to get the packed house many would have expected for this match (despite ticket prices being more than halved). In terms of warning signs for the clubs future it doesnt get more obvious. We need a good few players and we need players who will make an impact and have track records of cutting it at this level. I would be letting Vaz Te go (and Deeks is clearly away) and looking at:

Barry Nicolson - quality midfielder who has bagged a few goals this year with Preston. An eye for a pass and plenty energy. A bit injury prone though.
    Lee Miller - Good scoring record in Scotland and takes up good positions. Was on loan at Notts County and assume he is still under contract at boro.
    Michael Stewart - I know I will be on my own with this one but today we cried out for someone with his energy and directness. He is out of contract and I am positive he would do a job for us. Obvious drawbacks in terms of his temper etc, but a bit of passion would not go a miss out there.
    Lee Griffiths - Sure Wolves will be thinking of sticking him out on loan. May be a good move all round.
    Garry O Connor - Strength, good positional play and makes great runs a Liam Miller or Stewart would pick out.
    Murray Davidson - Fast strong and with a bit of dig. Would cost money from St J but he has obvious sell on benefits
    Michael Dewbury - 1 year deal to bring on Hanlon and Stephens. He has shown he can still stroll it in this league.

7 players. All should be managable - if we have ambition. There should also be a good bit a freed up wages if we are freeing so many players and (and this is a real issue) are able to move on contracted big earliers like De Graffe, Hart (cheers for that one Yogi) and Murray.

Thoughts?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Cammy Bell
    Darren McGregor/Big Center Half
    Ivan Sproule
    Danny Swanson
    Sone Aluko
    3 Strikers
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Sol Campbell
    Alan Smith
    Ivan Sproule
    Garry O'Connor
    Danny Swanson
    Willo Flood
    John Sutton
    Leigh Griffiths (loan)
    Murray Davidson
    Kenny McLean
    Chris Zebroski

Ivan Sproule
    Michael Duberrry
    Murray Davidson
    Kevin Mcdonald
    Darren O Dea
    Morgaro Gomis
    Barry Robson
    Ross Mccormack
    John Sutton

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Lord Nelson
    Lord Beaverbrook
    Sir Winston Churchill
    Sir Anthony Eden
    Clement Attlee
    Henry Cooper
    Lady Diana
    Maggie Thatcher

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maggie Thatcher
    not hibs class

Left by mutual consent! PC Stamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    not hibs class
    But has mair baws than half our team!

Quote Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
    Tha last few weeks have proved just how little quality we have in the squad to work with. The party line is that we will build a new team in the close season. However the noises being made from CC seem to suggest only a little tinkering will be done. I hope not. We need serious investment.

Today we lost to a very poor Aberdeen side at home in a tribute match to our most famous manager. We also failed to get the packed house many would have expected for this match (despite ticket prices being more than halved). In terms of warning signs for the clubs future it doesnt get more obvious. We need a good few players and we need players who will make an impact and have track records of cutting it at this level. I would be letting Vaz Te go (and Deeks is clearly away) and looking at:

Barry Nicolson - quality midfielder who has bagged a few goals this year with Preston. An eye for a pass and plenty energy. A bit injury prone though.
    Lee Miller - Good scoring record in Scotland and takes up good positions. Was on loan at Notts County and assume he is still under contract at boro.
    Michael Stewart - I know I will be on my own with this one but today we cried out for someone with his energy and directness. He is out of contract and I am positive he would do a job for us. Obvious drawbacks in terms of his temper etc, but a bit of passion would not go a miss out there.
    Lee Griffiths - Sure Wolves will be thinking of sticking him out on loan. May be a good move all round.
    Garry O Connor - Strength, good positional play and makes great runs a Liam Miller or Stewart would pick out.
    Murray Davidson - Fast strong and with a bit of dig. Would cost money from St J but he has obvious sell on benefits
    Michael Dewbury - 1 year deal to bring on Hanlon and Stephens. He has shown he can still stroll it in this league.

7 players. All should be managable - if we have ambition. There should also be a good bit a freed up wages if we are freeing so many players and (and this is a real issue) are able to move on contracted big earliers like De Graffe, Hart (cheers for that one Yogi) and Murray.

Thoughts?
    3 players from Scottish 1st Division, 2 brought through from the squad/loan deals, possibly Ivan and Vas Te will be the 7. Maybe's.

@hibs.net private member R'Albin's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Razza96

Thoughts?
    Please no!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralbin View Post
    Please no!
    Personally i would rather rooney but I suspect he will get bigger offers eksewhere. Miller is a proven goalscorer up here though and would be a decent option.

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar
    Carl cort? Free agent maybe worth a punt

Lord Nelson
    Lord Beaverbrook
    Sir Winston Churchill
    Sir Anthony Eden
    Clement Attlee
    Henry Cooper
    Lady Diana
    Maggie Thatcher
    Happy
    Grumpy
    Sleepy
    Dopey
    Doc
    Bashful
    Sproule

Jamie Langfield
    Ryan Jack
    Nikola Vujadinovic
    Joe Shaughnessy
    Steven Smith
    Robert Milsom
    Fraser Fyvie
    Sone Aluko
    Josh Magennis
    Nick Blackman
    Chris Maguire

Personally i would rather rooney but I suspect he will get bigger offers eksewhere. Miller is a proven goalscorer up here though and would be a decent option.
    I doubt Sir Alex will sell him in the close season!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainboy View Post
    Cammy Bell
    Darren McGregor/Big Center Half
    Ivan Sproule
    Danny Swanson
    Sone Aluko
    3 Strikers

McGregor is a decent shout. Done extremely well stepping up from Cowdenbeath to play in the SPL. And he's a Hibby (or is that a bad thing?)

Aluko - yes, if we could guarantee he would play 20/25
    times a season they way he did yesterday. Think that may be a problem.

Swanson - haven't seen enough of him

Ivan - see Aluko.

Bell - see Swanson

I reckon we will see 3, possibly 4 coming in. Given Calderwood's coaching background I reckon perhaps a couple will be English based players.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee92 View Post
    Jamie Langfield
    Ryan Jack
    Nikola Vujadinovic
    Joe Shaughnessy
    Steven Smith
    Robert Milsom
    Fraser Fyvie
    Sone Aluko
    Josh Magennis
    Nick Blackman
    Chris Maguire

Looks a good player

We need serious investment but, unfortuantely, our 'visionary' board will see us have to settle for out of contract duds and players nobody else wants. And that's the route of the problem.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

First Team Breakthrough SmokieJoe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralbin View Post
    Please no!
    Amen to that.

First Team Breakthrough SmokieJoe's Avatar
    Miller the ex-sheep sha**er/ex yam fud? the one that tried to kick Ian Murry up the ring in one of our last games pre-demolition of the auld east stand?

No thank you.

The problem with our shopping list is that we'll be shopping in the fitba equivalent of Lidl

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by .sean. View Post
    Looks a good player

We need serious investment but, unfortuantely, our 'visionary' board will see us have to settle for out of contract duds and players nobody else wants. And that's the route of the problem.
    Just signed a long term deal for the sheep,is q good player though, so is Ryan jack

Quote Originally Posted by hibee92 View Post
    Jamie Langfield
    Ryan Jack
    Nikola Vujadinovic
    Joe Shaughnessy
    Steven Smith
    Robert Milsom
    Fraser Fyvie
    Sone Aluko
    Josh Magennis
    Nick Blackman
    Chris Maguire

I've hardly heard of any of these players but I think it would be unrealistic to expect any 'big' name signings.

Someone to replace Dickov should be a priority.

We really need another 1 or 2 creative midfielders who will be first team regulars. We rely too much on Miller to create things which he does better than anyone else but its still not enough.

Another 1/2/3 strikers to replace Riordan/Sodge/VaTez depending on who stays.

For once we don't need a new goalkeeper.

Thoughts?
    Absolutely no chance I would let Murray go and bring in Stewart or Nicholson.

Apart from the fact he's not good enough, Stewart has proven time and time again that he is a trouble maker and that's the last thing we need.

Dewbury - not bothered, GOC - yes if we can get him, Lee Miller - no, Griffiths - why not if we can get him.

@hibs.net private member Bad Habits's Avatar
    Coming from far(ish) away I dont get up much to see games, pretty much relying on bbc sport hightlights to watch hibs. But with this limited and vague view (Which is why I think im going to get told for saying this) I would say only two players are needed to get to the team to a decent standard:

1. It's been said quite a lot already on here but a big, shouty, experienced preferably rough looking centre half to kick some life into a back four full of young players, I remember reading an article about when Rio Ferdinand went to Manchester United and Roy Keane burned him for passing backwards in his first training session, we need someone like that but obviously cheaper.

2. What other teams would describe as 'a wee b*****d', a decent goal-poacher in the mould of a Kris Boyd (I know) or as people have mentioned on here an Adam Le Fondre before his dip in form near the end of the season. Not the most gifted players IMO but people who can finish off the decent build up play that I have seen on the highlights.

Admittedly I have not seen the full spectrum but this is my first post so yeahhhhh :)

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Foot-The-Ball View Post
    Coming from far(ish) away I dont get up much to see games, pretty much relying on bbc sport hightlights to watch hibs. But with this limited and vague view (Which is why I think im going to get told for saying this) I would say only two players are needed to get to the team to a decent standard:

1. It's been said quite a lot already on here but a big, shouty, experienced preferably rough looking centre half to kick some life into a back four full of young players, I remember reading an article about when Rio Ferdinand went to Manchester United and Roy Keane burned him for passing backwards in his first training session, we need someone like that but obviously cheaper.

2. What other teams would describe as 'a wee b*****d', a decent goal-poacher in the mould of a Kris Boyd (I know) or as people have mentioned on here an Adam Le Fondre before his dip in form near the end of the season. Not the most gifted players IMO but people who can finish off the decent build up play that I have seen on the highlights.

Admittedly I have not seen the full spectrum but this is my first post so yeahhhhh :)
    Point 1-exactly what we need
    Point-2 We don't create many chances for our strikers, so we would need 1 that does a lot of running, sad but true, hence why a quality player like Deeks gets hounded by some

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Foot-The-Ball View Post

And a good first post, at that. Welcome!

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Maggie Thatcher
    James Traynor ran with the headline the most hated man in Scotland - maybe he got the wrong person in Lennon And BTW we always knew Maggie wore the trousers

@hibs.net private member Bookkeeper's Avatar
    Pace
    Physical Strength
    Fitness
    Mental Strength
    Winning Mentality
    Passing Ability
    Pace
    Defensive Capability
    Goalscorer
    Movement off the Ball
    ...did I mention Pace?

Couldny care less what names they go under!

First Team Breakthrough hibee1994's Avatar
    Any chance of us getting Maguire on a free? Maybe Petrie might pull out the stops after that display yesterday?

Left by mutual consent!
    Johnny Hayes - ICT
    John Sutton - Motherwell
    Mike Duberry - St Johnstone
    Nigel Hasselbaink - Hamilton

Get these guys signed up...
    Last edited by PISTOL1875; 15-05-2011 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee1994 View Post
    Any chance of us getting Maguire on a free? Maybe Petrie might pull out the stops after that display yesterday?
    Petrie woulodn't know a player if he kicked hm in the derriere. That's part of the problem...