hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

10 team SPL breakaway

New tactic from Doncaster....... presumably supported by Petrie

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/D...SPL.6763364.jp

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I got excited reading the thread title, that perhaps the 10 non-OF clubs were musing over breaking away from them.

Bah.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna_Asylum View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Pathetic stuff from the SPL
    all UTD and the other clubs not supporting this are doing is sticking up for what we want.

I dont think a break away will happen, I think the SPL will eventually get their way. But IF it does come to a break away i will never attend another SPL game again.

I'm ashamed if we are part of that.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    I wish everyone would stop posturing and that includes the fans. by and large people would return to watch on tv or otherwise whether 10 or 12.
    Unfortunately they have us by the short and curlies.

Breakaway or very poor business tactics from the Half-wits running the game?

Secret phone calls to put pressure on chairmen according to Steve Thomson at Dundee Utd. If this is how the chairmen of the supposed bigger clubs think is anacceptable way to "sway" the rebelious clubs then clearly the goalposts are being moved/toys out of pram etc etc.

The Dundee Utd chairman should now start naming and shaming the people who are calling him to put the pressure on. It's the only way fans will get to know what their club stands for.

Just say NO to a ten team league. Not Posturing.....Just fed up with the whole system and determined not to give in. No season ticket renewal is THE ONLY WAY TO GET THE MESSAGE THROUGH.

Testimonial Due one day maybe...'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loko View Post
    I wish everyone would stop posturing and that includes the fans. by and large people would return to watch on tv or otherwise whether 10 or 12.
    Unfortunately they have us by the short and curlies.
    I hardly go to the football these days as its gash and I mean GASH. 10 or12 or even a 16 team league doesnt matter for me right know, as for watching Scottish football on TV, aye right! Its murder, empty stadiums, no atmosphere.
    I wish there was no live football, apart from major tournaments (World, European) and European & Domestic Cup finals, then maybe people would go back to football and it wouldn't be about the fat cats and their greed, but it will never happen I know that.

I pick and choose matches that I feel I may get value for money for or entertainment, and throw in the added value of a day out with old mates (probably the best part of the day).
    I loved going to the games in the mid eighties, yes there was bother, yes we had not beat Hearts for years (but I still went with hope), we had standing at the games and somehow the crowd seemed to generate an atmosphere, on occassions a hostile one, though I would not like to return to the days of darts and golfballs being thrown by sections of the home and away supports. The last time I felt really good at the football was the game in Essen, beer, a good crack and standing, it was a day out and a terrific day at that, we could learn a lot from the way the Germans do things at the football, it wasn't just about the football it was about the whole day. Unfortunately in Scotland we seem to have lost sight of the most important thing, us the customer
    I get hardly any enjoyment out of folowing Hibs these days, on the odd occasion yes. Maybe its an age thing, family committements who knows. What I do know is that I will always be a Hibby and will always want them to win even if they are playing tiiddlywinks, but what the current SPL set up gives us is a predictable outcome every season, I for one am totally fed up of it. Who cares which part of the OF are going to win the league, we all know for sure that one of them will and will continue to do so for the very foreseeable future.
    I wish that it wasn't that way, but until the powers that be try to level the playing field, all we are ever going to have is OF dominance and dwindling attendances.
    Last edited by one day maybe...; 06-05-2011 at 09:47 AM.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Thomson says "I have not been cornered in a boardroom so far but there has been a few threats to those who haven't agreed to this package that has been put in front of us.

That explains why I saw Rod and his heavies hanging about Tannadice armed with baseball bats. I remember thinking at the time that Rod had never mentioned he played baseball.

They will stop at nothing to get their way.
    Let's balloon this west-coast mob into orbit and go for a 10-team East of Scotland Premier League - the ESPL.
    Following teams to start; Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee, Dundee United, St Johnstone, Dunfermline, Raith Rovers, Livingston & Inverness.
    Play-offs versus West Scotland Sectarian League - the WSSL for euro places at season-end. Atmospheres, attendances would increase if the above clubs thought they might win silverware - no doubt about that.
    There are thousands of non OF supporters who don't go any more because of sectarianism, bias and constant benefits aimed at OF.

Quote Originally Posted by alexedwards View Post
    They will stop at nothing to get their way.
    Let's balloon this west-coast mob into orbit and go for a 10-team East of Scotland Premier League - the ESPL.
    Following teams to start; Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee, Dundee United, St Johnstone, Dunfermline, Raith Rovers, Livingston & Inverness.
    Play-offs versus West Scotland Sectarian League - the WSSL for euro places at season-end. Atmospheres, attendances would increase if the above clubs thought they might win silverware - no doubt about that.
    There are thousands of non OF supporters who don't go any more because of sectarianism, bias and constant benefits aimed at OF.
    So you are against a ten team league and your alternative proposal is a weakened ten team league?
    Is it just the Old Firm you are against then rather than the concept of a ten team SPL?
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

That would be total madness. It's not even a convincing bluff.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Until the SFA listen to the fans and stop worrying about lining their already bulging pockets then we will always have to play 2nd fiddle to what the old firm want. Sad but true.

Clubs need to grow a pair and stand up to them. Weve been dictated to for years by the OF and it has to stop. Maybe a mass boycott is the answer as a poster above points out.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    So you are against a ten team league and your alternative proposal is a weakened ten team league?
    Is it just the Old Firm you are against then rather than the concept of a ten team SPL?
    I bet you must love repeats on the telly ?, why not make it a six team league and play each other eight times then you could see all your "better teams" as much as you like. Why do you have this love affair with the OF ?, if you want to see them so much why don't you just toddle along the M8 every week and stop being their mouthpiece on here.

Quote Originally Posted by down the slope View Post
    I bet you must love repeats on the telly ?, why not make it a six team league and play each other eight times then you could see all your "better teams" as much as you like. Why do you have this love affair with the OF ?, if you want to see them so much why don't you just toddle along the M8 every week and stop being their mouthpiece on here.

It's the poster I quoted who proposed a ten team league. I favour an 18 team league but don't think we can go straight to that.
    What love afair with the Old firm? I think I can safely say they are the two strongest teams in the league without claiming any affection for them. Can't I?
    Mouthpiece for the Old Firm? If you are so sure of your ground then why not stick to the issues rather than getting personal?

It's the poster I quoted who proposed a ten team league. I favour an 18 team league but don't think we can go straight to that.
    What love afair with the Old firm? I think I can safely say they are the two strongest teams in the league without claiming any affection for them. Can't I?
    Mouthpiece for the Old Firm? If you are so sure of your ground then why not stick to the issues rather than getting personal?
    Ok maybe i went over the top there but myself and a good few others on here want to see less of the OF rather than more. Football in this country is dying on it's feet and by making the league smaller and more repetitive is not the answer. I think fans in general across the country are fed up with being cannon fodder for the OF and we need to see a much more level playing field in respect of finances than we have at the moment-remember the OF are nothing without the likes of us who provide a platform to showcase their "talents" nearly every week !.
    As for the threat of a breakaway league i think that is nonsense and i hope Thompson names and shames the people who were involved in this , i hope that no one from our club would ever do such a thing !.

Testimonial Due
    I am unsure as to whether I am in favour of a 10 team league or not. I am confused in some ways though;

People complain about the crowds - yet the only games we get a decent crowd for are Rangers, Celtic and hearts, surely playing them more times in a season will achieve the goal of better crowds?

There has also been a lot of chat recently about investing heavily in the playing squad, again surely the better attendances we have the more money we get, alas the more we can invest in the team, this would again therefore seem to achieve the goal of a better 11 for Hibs?

I understand the debate around variety, however, I dont think variety is what drives a Hibs support, I cant see fans queuing up to get in to see us play Raith Rovers, Dunfermline and Falkirk like they would Rangers, Celtic and hearts.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Ok maybe i went over the top there but myself and a good few others on here want to see less of the OF rather than more. Football in this country is dying on it's feet and by making the league smaller and more repetitive is not the answer. I think fans in general across the country are fed up with being cannon fodder for the OF and we need to see a much more level playing field in respect of finances than we have at the moment-remember the OF are nothing without the likes of us who provide a platform to showcase their "talents" nearly every week !.
    As for the threat of a breakaway league i think that is nonsense and i hope Thompson names and shames the people who were involved in this , i hope that no one from our club would ever do such a thing !.
    Your post referred to the fact that a smaller league was suggested, and inferred that it was boring idea. But now you're saying you wouldn't mind a smaller league, just not one containing the Old Firm? Well, you must be a fan of repeats then, eh...?

Seriously though, I'd much rather we played Celtic 4 times a season than a team like Dunfermline, to be quite honest. And is anyone really surprised that we're siding with the Old Firm on this thing? We all know that we're run as a business, and that Rod Petrie loves to maximise any potential profits. It's no different here...

presumably supported by Petrie
    Why's that then?

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    But IF it does come to a break away i will never attend another SPL game again.
    I still don't get why Hibs fans are willing to turn their back on their own club because they don't like the size of the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Purehibee View Post
    Your post referred to the fact that a smaller league was suggested, and inferred that it was boring idea. But now you're saying you wouldn't mind a smaller league, just not one containing the Old Firm? Well, you must be a fan of repeats then, eh...?

Seriously though, I'd much rather we played Celtic 4 times a season than a team like Dunfermline, to be quite honest. And is anyone really surprised that we're siding with the Old Firm on this thing? We all know that we're run as a business, and that Rod Petrie loves to maximise any potential profits. It's no different here...
    I never said i wanted a smaller league 16 would be my preference but i would rather stay with what we have than go to a ten. Maximising profits is not why i go to watch the Hibs for , as i have said on here before most fans do not buy a ST drooling at the thought of who our opponents might be , most fans want us to win playing attractive football against whoever it be it Dunfermline or Celtic. I noticed you said WE are siding with the OF on this thing , i think the likes of you and the board are in the minority when it comes to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Why's that then?

I still don't get why Hibs fans are willing to turn their back on their own club because they don't like the size of the league.
    horrid nasty accusation retracted

Please keep up with the game told you before it was not about the size of the league. You're getting there though - it might just be about the OF.

@hibs.net private member bawheid's Avatar
    Think it's to do with the standard of the product Mikey, and what we're asked to pay for it. It's becoming poorer value for money each year.

The SPL is rubbish. The old ten team Premier League was even worse.

Some are saying they'd rather watch Celtic twice at home than Raith Rovers once. That's fair enough. It's also fair to say that an attendance for a game versus Partick Thistle would be poor if we were having a dodgy season.

For me though, a 16 or 18 team league with more evenly distributed wealth would be much more entertaining were Hibs to get it right on the park. We'd have a fair chance of beating most of the teams bar the OF, which would make those games against Rangers and Celtic far more exciting, because we'd likely be within striking distance of them rather than 15 points back.

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar

Me neither, as if by magic having a 16 team with less revenue will make the product on the park better overnight.

@hibs.net private member bawheid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulSmith View Post
    Me neither, as if by magic having a 16 team with less revenue will make the product on the park better overnight.
    Suppose it depends on what you define as "the product". I personally think the product would be better if we weren't watching St Mirren 4/5 times a season.

The way forward for clubs like Hibs is bringing through youth players, whether that's in a 10 team league or an 18 team league. If we don't have the revenue to sign guys like Vaz Te and Dickoh then I wouldn't be too fussed.

Quote Originally Posted by alexedwards View Post
    Please keep up with the game told you before it was not about the size of the league. You're getting there though - it might just be about the OF.
    Sorry , I forgot. You were the conspiracy theorist weren't you.

Gamer IDs

I never said i wanted a smaller league 16 would be my preference but i would rather stay with what we have than go to a ten. Maximising profits is not why i go to watch the Hibs for , as i have said on here before most fans do not buy a ST drooling at the thought of who our opponents might be , most fans want us to win playing attractive football against whoever it be it Dunfermline or Celtic. I noticed you said WE are siding with the OF on this thing , i think the likes of you and the board are in the minority when it comes to this.
    By 'we', I meant Hibs.

As for the 16 team league, well, I just don't see it working. We don't have enough to play for to make it viable. If we had more European places, then maybe, but we could end up with nothing to play for halfway through the season. Attendances would plummet, which, when coupled with the fact that we'd be playing less games - as well as halving the amount of lucrative games we play - it just wouldn't be good for the club.

I think most of us are seeking a better standard of football in the division. A 16 team league is not the way to go about achieving this IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Albion Hibs View Post
    I am unsure as to whether I am in favour of a 10 team league or not. I am confused in some ways though;

People complain about the crowds - yet the only games we get a decent crowd for are Rangers, Celtic and hearts, surely playing them more times in a season will achieve the goal of better crowds?

There has also been a lot of chat recently about investing heavily in the playing squad, again surely the better attendances we have the more money we get, alas the more we can invest in the team, this would again therefore seem to achieve the goal of a better 11 for Hibs?

I understand the debate around variety, however, I dont think variety is what drives a Hibs support, I cant see fans queuing up to get in to see us play Raith Rovers, Dunfermline and Falkirk like they would Rangers, Celtic and hearts.
    Not sure when we develeloped this arrogance that we are above playing against such minnows. Like we are so much better than them?

Not sure when we develeloped this arrogance that we are above playing against such minnows. Like we are so much better than them?
    Has somebody said that? That would be totally different from suggesting that they would not be the most attractive looking fixtures on any list.

Gamer IDs

How did you take that as arrogance? He was simply saying that compared to the Hearts, Celtic and Rangers games, those fixtures just aren't anywhere near as lucrative - which is true, no? We are a bigger club than the 3 mentioned anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Thompson, Dundee Utd Chairman
    Also, we need to start talking up Scottish football and stop knocking what we have up here.
    Can you tell that to the fans too Stephen?