hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Breaking news on Reporting Scotland

Explosives have been sent to Neil Lennon and two high profile Celtic fans. Apparently the devices were viable and intended to kill or maim their targets.

Absolutely disgraceful.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CENNYDD
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Explosives have been sent to Neil Lennon and two high profile Celtic fans. Apparently the devices were viable and intended to kill or maim their targets.

Absolutely disgraceful.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-13129139

As much as I dislike Lennon its only a football thing and he does not deserve this. Agree total disgrace.

On the wires now - Lennon, Paul McBride, QC and a MSP (to be named)

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 666
    I wish someone would buy Lennon some lip balm. Those cracked lips do nout for his image. Must be sore as well.
    Last edited by ArabHibee; 19-04-2011 at 09:49 PM.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    **** **** **** **** ****. (The senders that is)

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Quiet_Man View Post
    Trish Godman

Lennon's a wind up but he doesn't deserve whats been going on with the threats lately.

Trish Godman apparently, Labour MSP.

Never heard of her.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I'd like to start off by saying I agree that this is disgraceful - he's been saying for a few months that he might not stick around in Glasgow, because of all the hassles (and who could blame him).

I do feel he brings a lot of the grief he receives on himself, but this is a whole other level of threat against his safety.

I wouldn't be surprised if he upped sticks and left after this season is up, which is a shame, as it means the bigots win.
    Last edited by Sylar; 19-04-2011 at 10:39 PM. Reason: My original point was being wrong interpreted, so for clarity...
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by HibeeSince85 View Post
    Lennon's a wind up but he doesn't deserve whats been going on with the threats lately.
    Yup - but I hope he's strong enough not to walk away. That would be the wrong conslusion to this. That said, you'd understand if - for the sake of his family/sanity - he did. I dislike him but this is disgarceful and further embarrassment for our game.

Red face

Really poor, no-one likes him but thats extreme!

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Trish Godman apparently, Labour MSP.

Never heard of her.
    No longer an MSP. She's stood down.

Mother of one of the Natwest 3

I dont know why that smiley came up

Quote Originally Posted by The Story So Far... View Post
    I'd like to start off by saying I agree that this is disgraceful - he's been saying for a few months that he might not stick around in Glasgow, because of all the hassles (and who could blame him).

However, he brings a lot of the grief (again, not deserving to THAT extent) on himself, by commenting on things which really don't concern him and stirring up ill feeling whenever he's in front of the press.

He really needs to learn to keep his head down and just focus on being the manager of Celtic Football Club, without involving himself in conspiratorial nonsense or making comment on matters surrounding their cousins across the road.
    I agree with that and I can't stand Lennon any more than most people. I find him to be extremely obnoxious.

However, it's one thing singing songs about him at a football match and something quite different to be making serious attempts to murder him.

This is completely and utterly unjustified and totally unacceptable.

If I was Lennon, I would be leaving Glasgow ASAP and going elsewhere to find employment. It's sad that it's come to this but I think my safety and that of my family would be of far greater importance than the Celtic manager's job.

Gamer IDs

I agree with that and I can't stand Lennon any more than most people. I find him to be extremely obnoxious.

However, it's one thing singing songs about him at a football match and something quite different to be making serious attempts to murder him.

This is completely and utterly unjustified and totally unacceptable.

If I was Lennon, I would be leaving Glasgow ASAP and going elsewhere to find employment. It's sad that it's come to this but I think my safety and that of my family would be of far greater importance than the Celtic manager's job.
    Agree 100% and I'm glad my post was read as intended - I was worried it would sound like a justification, when it really isn't.

Yup - but I hope he's strong enough not to walk away. That would be the wrong conslusion to this. That said, you'd understand if - for the sake of his family/sanity - he did. I dislike him but this is disgarceful and further embarrassment for our game.
    Does nothing but badly harm our games reputation.

As a human being I cant find the words to describe the pond life ( I apologise to Pond Life ) behind this, if true.

If it is anything to do with sectarianism ..... In what universe do they think that doing this will contribute ANYTHING to their cause.

If it was purely a football thing ...... Their view of the importance of football in society and their lives is so far out of step with its true place in the universe that they must truly be in need of phsyciatric help.

Neil Lennon is an odious wee turd. But this, or any other form of violence against him or anybody else for that matter, just coz they annoy you in a football context, is just unacceptable lunacy.

However, he brings a lot of the grief (again, not deserving to THAT extent) on himself, by commenting on things which really don't concern him and stirring up ill feeling whenever he's in front of the press.

He really needs to learn to keep his head down and just focus on being the manager of Celtic Football Club, without involving himself in conspiratorial nonsense or making comment on matters surrounding their cousins across the road.
    To be fair though- everything he talks about is FOOTBALL related, conspiracy stuff included.

He brings the FOOTBALL related stick he gets on himself but when we're talking about stuff in this
    context please don't suggest he is partly responsible. This is not 'grief' he's getting, it's someone trying to kill him.

As far as I know, despite suspicions of the bigots, Lennon has never said anything remotely political or given any inclination he has strong views on stuff like that. This is just getting ridiculous and everyone should be concerned that extremists see Scottish football, as somehow related to what they get upset about.
    Last edited by Shrekko; 19-04-2011 at 10:02 PM.

Shocking, truly shocking
    This is how it feels

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Finchster10 View Post
    To be fair though- everything he talks about is FOOTBALL related, conspiracy stuff included.

He bring the FOOTBALL related stick he gets on himself but when we're talking about stuff in this
    context please don't suggest he is partly responsible. This is not 'grief' he's getting, it's someone trying to kill him.

As far as I know, despite suspicions of the bigots, Lennon has never said anything remotely political or given any inclination he has strong views on stuff like that. This is just getting ridiculous and everyone should be concerned that extremists see Scottish football, as somehow related to what they get upset about.
    But it's not - last week he was congratulating UEFA for coming down on Rangers for their fans' behaviour vs PSV Eindhoven. There was absolutely no need for him to say anything on the matter. It says more about the people who are likely to get wound up by it than him, but Lennon knows all too well the cauldron that is the Old Firm, and he would have known that his comments would have riled the most extreme element of the Rangers support. That shouldn't endanger his life though, I agree entirely!

As I've said (and tried to stress in my other posts) THIS level of threat/violence etc against him isn't justified in terms of his footballing antics or comments. It's a continuing theme and for his own sake, he should be packing up and leaving Scotland as his own safety is much more important than the cesspit of Glasgow Football. He shouldn't NEED to do this but these threats aren't going away and he's too resilient to walk because of someone else's prejudice. I guess it's a clash of 2 schools of thought, whereby he's safer if he leaves, but yielding to the threats of bigots if he does.

Ach - I'm struggling to not sound like an apologist here and it's not my intention.
    Last edited by Sylar; 19-04-2011 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    **** **** **** **** ****. (The senders that is)
    Muslim name? Ruddy terrorists.

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by BOVRIL View Post
    As a human being I cant find the words to describe the pond life ( I apologise to Pond Life ) behind this, if true.

If it is anything to do with sectarianism ..... In what universe do they think that doing this will contribute ANYTHING to their cause.

If it was purely a football thing ...... Their view of the importance of football in society and their lives is so far out of step with its true place in the universe that they must truly be in need of phsyciatric help.

Neil Lennon is an odious wee turd. But this, or any other form of violence against him or anybody else for that matter, just coz they annoy you in a football context, is just unacceptable lunacy.

And as well as wanting to hurt Lennon, the lawyer and the politician, they don't give one thought about some poor innocent person who may get seriously injured or killed sorting or delivering one of these parcels.

We live in a sick world.

@hibs.net private member gorgie_harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibeeSince85 View Post
    Does nothing but badly harm our games reputation.
    And country.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    The OF players and coaches like Lennon and McCoist have to have a word with themselves big time. These bombs show there are real psychos out there who will kill and their petty hard man acts at games and noising up of opposition fans and provoking their own is seriously fueling this sort of thing.
    If players and coaches continue in this way they should be charged by the police and what they do has a big bearing on how these nutters react. Whilst it's relatively rare for campaigns like this one again Lennon to take place, ordinary fans are more likely to get a doing as a result of the hatred provoked on and off the field.

But it's not - last week he was congratulating UEFA for coming down on Rangers for their fans' behaviour vs PSV Eindhoven. There was absolutely no need for him to say anything on the matter. It says more about the people who are likely to get wound up by it than him, but Lennon knows all too well the cauldron that is the Old Firm, and he would have known that his comments would have riled the most extreme element of the Rangers support. That shouldn't endanger his life though, I agree entirely!

As I've said (and tried to stress in my other posts) THIS level of threat/violence etc against him isn't justified in terms of his footballing antics or comments. It's a continuing theme and for his own sake, he should be packing up and leaving Scotland as his own safety is much more important than the cesspit of Glasgow Football. He shouldn't NEED to do this but these threats aren't going away and he's too resilient to walk because of someone else's prejudice. I guess it's a clash of 2
    schools of thought, whereby he's safer if he leaves, but yielding to the threats of bigots if he does.
    Perhaps its the journalists asking the questions that need to be more responsible?

Why shouldn't he comment on an anti-bigotry stance by UEFA anyway? Again put it in context- the SFA (and I'm not suggesting an anti Celtic bias) have just let Rangers off the hook yet again with Messrs McCoist, Diouf and Bougherra avoiding punishment for in 2 of the cases blatant offences, and he's been done with a 4 match ban from the same game. While this is going on the SFA continue to ignore the fact that Rangers fans have been loudly singing songs that were banned a couple of years ago where points docking was supposedly threatened as a punishment. I'm damn sure I'd want to pass comment on UEFA tackling an issue the SFA shy away from if I was asked under those circumstances. We continually complain about lack of honesty from football people- well Lennon gave the same opinion I have on the matter!!

Yes, perhaps this bomb threat will bring him to heal. And the MSP and the QC, I'm sure they have been guilty of involving themselves in matters that don't concern them.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by BryanV View Post
    Yes, perhaps this bomb threat will bring him to heal. And the MSP and the QC, I'm sure they have been guilty of involving themselves in matters that don't concern them.
    Aye, that was so obviously the point I was making right enough.

Bravo indeed

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Absolutely disgusting. It's attempted murder FFS. Lennon may be a hot head but when he speaks up regarding bigotry he should be applauded, as should McCoist for his comments today about arresting fans who sing sectarian songs at football games.

The SFA, SPL and SFL can no longer sweep this problem under the carpet. Zero tolerance in football stadia across Scotland regarding bigotry with arrests where necessary.

I hope whoever sent these packages will be brought to justice swiftly.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Aye, that was so obviously the point I was making right enough.

Bravo indeed
    You said he, to some extent ,brought it on himself by involving himself in matters that don't conern him. Just to be clear we are dealing with an actual bomb sent to him in the post. My natural response is disgust, not a desire to search for mitigation or provocation.

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanV View Post
    How does it not concern Lennon when he is from Northern Ireland and was threatened so much he stopped playing for his country?