hibs.net Messageboard

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Good! I suspect if the official has to actually recount the " foul & abusive language " Adams is stated to have used, he ( the official ) will be found to have made it up.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good! I suspect if the official has to actually recount the " foul & abusive language " Adams is stated to have used, he ( the official ) will be found to have made it up.
    We can all use foul and abusive language without resorting to the use of sweerie words though!

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    We can all use foul and abusive language without resorting to the use of sweerie words though!
    Abusive, yes; foul, no. Foul language = swearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post
    Abusive, yes; foul, no. Foul language = swearing.
    I beg to differ but I'll refrain from quoting a few choice examples.

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar

May'be it was using FOWL language he's accused of. Did he call him DUCKY or something ?

The offence of 'foul and abusive language' no longer exists. The actual wording of the offence now is using' offensive, insulting and/or abusive language', so for instance a player can easily be sent off without swearing, calling a referee a cheat for instance would call into question his integrity, and I would imagine immediately have a referee reaching for a red card.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by delbert View Post
    The offence of 'foul and abusive language' no longer exists. The actual wording of the offence now is using' offensive, insulting and/or abusive language', so for instance a player can easily be sent off without swearing, calling a referee a cheat for instance would call into question his integrity, and I would imagine immediately have a referee reaching for a red card.
    I'm not doubting what you're saying but I was quoting the BBC when I used the term " foul & abusive " hence the parenthesis.

The former Motherwell and Aberdeen midfielder, 35, was ordered to the stand by Alan Muir on the advice of fourth official Kevin Clancy for what was described as foul and abusive language towards the referee.

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenginger View Post
    May'be it was using FOWL language he's accused of. Did he call him DUCKY or something ?
    or a cock

I'm not doubting what you're saying but I was quoting the BBC when I used the term " foul & abusive " hence the parenthesis.

The former Motherwell and Aberdeen midfielder, 35, was ordered to the stand by Alan Muir on the advice of fourth official Kevin Clancy for what was described as foul and abusive language towards the referee.
    I hate to be a pedant (I don't really) but " are not parenthesis, () are.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Hibs should come out and tell us the words Adams used so we can decide for ourselves whether the SFA is right or wrong. Same with the SFA re the Lennon/McCoist incident.

Petrie doesn't undertake appeals lightly so here's hoping.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Left by mutual consent! PC Stamp's Avatar
    There's a school of thought which says Adams would be as well serving the six games now and be ban free at the start of next season. That scenario of course means that should he transgress again he'll get at least 8 games next time round.

On that basis I expect the club have put together a strong basis for appeal otherwise they woudn't do so.

If we post the appeal in a blue envelope then that should certainly help to strengthen the case.

First Team Breakthrough hibee1994's Avatar
    Is it just me or have referees have it in for Derek Adams? Sounds like whatever he does, the ref sends him to the stands. He must be beginning to feel like a supporter rather than the assistant manager.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    If we post the appeal in a blue envelope then that should certainly help to strengthen the case.
    lol. Superb.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    It's absolutely fine to be a pedant but much better to be a an accurate pedant!

Parentheses (singular, parenthesis) – also called simply brackets (UK), or round brackets, curved brackets, oval brackets, or, colloquially, parens – contain material that could be omitted without destroying or altering the meaning of a sentence. In most writing, overuse of parentheses is usually a sign of a badly structured text. A milder effect may be obtained by using a pair of commas as the delimiter, though if the sentence contains commas for other purposes visual confusion may result.

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    I hate to be a pedant but 'parenthesis' is singular so you should have used 'parentheses'.

It's absolutely fine to be a pedant but much better to be a an accurate pedant!

Parentheses (singular, parenthesis) – also called simply brackets (UK), or round brackets, curved brackets, oval brackets, or, colloquially, parens – contain material that could be omitted without destroying or altering the meaning of a sentence. In most writing, overuse of parentheses is usually a sign of a badly structured text. A milder effect may be obtained by using a pair of commas as the delimiter, though if the sentence contains commas for other purposes visual confusion may result.
    You didn't use commas though......

Sorry.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    You didn't use commas though......

Sorry.
    It was only illustrative, the term parentheses can be used to describe anything set aside from the regular text whether it is by brackets, commas, inverted commas or dashes. Now I'm being a pedant!!