hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar

Huns in trouble with UEFA again (merged)

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2011/04/07/rangers-to-be-hit-with-three-match-european-ban-over-sectarian-chanting-86908-23043583/

RANGERS fans are set to be hammered with a three-match Euro ban for singing sectarian songs.

Last night Ibrox chiefs were also bracing themselves for a "heavy" fine which could be as much as s100,000.

And there are now also fears that UEFA's determination to clamp down on Rangers' bigots could further delay, if not derail entirely, Craig Whyte's s25 million buy-out.

UEFA have told Rangers to expect the penalties because of sectarian songs and chants which the governing body claim were belted out during the Europa League match against PSV in Eindhoven on March 10.

The Ibrox club have until next Thursday to submit their defence - the hearing will be held in Nyon two weeks later - if they are to have any chance of avoiding a FOURTH European sanction.

But a UEFA source, who confirmed Gers had been pulled up again, also said it was unlikely the club could escape punishment.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    superb news are you watching SFA

Let's hope UEFA follow this through and don't suspend any punishment.

It's the only way these numbskulls will learn.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    superb news are you watching SFA
    Personally think it is a good thing as this nonsense has gone on too long and come back with a vengeance recently. Time for SFA to take on the baton that UEFA have given them.

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Let's hope UEFA follow this through and don't suspend any punishment.

It's the only way these numbskulls will learn.
    and why some of ours need to wise up. We can't have it both ways. The "they're worse than us" defence won't wash once bans start being handed out

First Team Breakthrough
    I love you UEFA. I want to have your children... seriously I want to see more decisions taken out of the SFA hands now. If the sfa can't police the game in Scotland, time to see how it really should be done. Come on Uefa maybe a decent 5 year ban from all European competitions in future will send a message to them. On a slightly different note, who at the sfa decided to play an O.F. Game on Easter Sunday??? Are you mental... I am seeing the scene now.

Quote Originally Posted by 65bd View Post
    and why some of ours need to wise up. We can't have it both ways. The "they're worse than us" defence won't wash once bans start being handed out
    Petrie's cunning plan to provide us with a bottom six team in order to avoid UEFA sanctions next year has paid off then. Only a true genius could have such foresight.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Personally think it is a good thing as this nonsense has gone on too long and come back with a vengeance recently. Time for SFA to take on the baton that UEFA have given them.
    most likely because the spineless/gutless SFA took no action as soon as the party songs started up again several weeks ago, all ordinary/normal fans seem to have heard the songs but not the SFA.

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Huns trying to wind-up the "Original Orangemen" by singing pro- King Billy songs !

Jeeze I knew they were thick but,

Quote Originally Posted by 65bd View Post
    I think it will have a knock-on effect. The Huns cut out some of the dodgy songs when they were in trouble with UEFA before, but they've crept back in this season at times. Given that, I don't think it's a coincidence that there was a full-fat version of the Billy Boys on Sunday.

Surely the songs aren't sectarian or the SFA/SPL/SFL would have fined them before now.

What does this say about the SFA. In my eyes its a damning indictment of their total unwillingness to see what everyone else can. They are gutless and spineless when it comes to dealing with the old firm and should also be held accountable in my opinion. The media also turn a blind eye most of the time to their antics.
    Well done Uefa

@hibs.net private member
    Its not just the SFA who should hang their heads in shame. The police and politicians should hang their heads in shame as well rather than having another discussion group and dragging it out until they retire and pass the problems on to the next generation.

If these songs were directed against a colour or any other religions it would be rooted out immediately and the culprits banned/jailed or fined.

What can we expect from a country where sectarianism is written in law stating that only one religion cannot become King/Queen? Until simple matters like that are sorted we cannot expect anything other than this behaviour to be tolerated. In summary Rangers get fine, SFA do SFA, Police do SFA and politicians talk a good game until Uefa do something next time.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Its not just the SFA who should hang their heads in shame. The police and politicians should hang their heads in shame as well rather than having another discussion group and dragging it out until they retire and pass the problems on to the next generation.

If these songs were directed against a colour or any other religions it would be rooted out immediately and the culprits banned/jailed or fined.

What can we expect from a country where sectarianism is written in law stating that only one religion cannot become King/Queen? Until simple matters like that are sorted we cannot expect anything other than this behaviour to be tolerated. In summary Rangers get fine, SFA do SFA, Police do SFA and politicians talk a good game until Uefa do something next time.
    Although I agree with your opinion, I think that's a bit of a red herring (a bit like the separate schools argument). The reason the Act of Settlement has remained in place is more to do with Church of England politics (ie them wanting to retain the monarch as head of their church) rather than anything to do with the divisions in Scotland and Ireland.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    It'll be interesting to see how Rangers try to defend this. Bain's argument that Rangers are being picked on and other club's supporters do the same is pretty pathetic, albeit up to the standard of Bain's usual noise. He should realise that it's simple - if the songs weren't sung then there's no issue, and if they were sung then Rangers are pishing in the wind as far as trying to defend it is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by 2468 View Post
    It'll be interesting to see how Rangers try to defend this. Bain's argument that Rangers are being picked on and other club's supporters do the same is pretty pathetic, albeit up to the standard of Bain's usual noise. He should realise that it's simple - if the songs weren't sung then there's no issue, and if they were sung then Rangers are pishing in the wind as far as trying to defend it is concerned.
    Unless they can prove against the substance of the charge, I think they're screwed this time. UEFA have let them off with warnings and small fines in the recent past because they've been able to offer their anti-bigotry publicity campaigns in mitigation.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post
    I think it will have a knock-on effect. The Huns cut out some of the dodgy songs when they were in trouble with UEFA before, but they've crept back in this season at times. Given that, I don't think it's a coincidence that there was a full-fat version of the Billy Boys on Sunday.
    No coincidence at all.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I was just talking about this with a Hun at my work, he genuinly thinks it's a decent defence that "it's not just us doing it but".

@hibs.net private member BigKev's Avatar
    Thankfully UEFA are now stepping up to the plate and doing what our corrupt and weak Governing body should have done years ago.

The SFA have long hidden their head in the sand regarding sectarian chanting so lets hope UEFA now pressurize them into getting their own house in order and hitting all bigots with either points deductions or hefty fines. None of this £10-£15k malarky.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    The SFA are an absolute embarrassment. People in Europe must wonder why on earth Rangers are allowed to get away with this week in week out in our own league and the SFA should be absolutely ashamed of themselves in that it takes an organisation outwith our own league to actually put action to words.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    People in Europe must wonder why on earth Rangers are allowed to get away with this week in week out in our own league and the SFA should be absolutely ashamed of themselves in that it takes an organisation outwith our own league to actually put action to words.
    They probably don't know, and I doubt they'd be that bothered to be honest.

I think a fair, reasoned and proportionaite response from our European amigos would be the calling for a full, unfaltering nuclear strike against the huns...

..bring in the Yanks too, just to ensure there is no oil left and we're ****ing sorted.

It'd be like the scene from Robocop where ED209 gives the boy 5-4-3-2-1 seconds to comply..."I am now authorised to use physical force". KA-****IN-BOOM!

Sorted. Next.

ENDOF

The Rangers hierarchy claims to be opposed to sectarianism and yet in Martin Bain's statement, he basically admits that Rangers still have a problem with this.

OK he says that they're not the only club with this problem and he's right to say this. Celtic, in my opinion, have just as much of a problem where this kind of nonsense is concerned and, as we've been discussing on here recently, it is starting to creep back into the rivalry in Edinburgh as well, albeit on a far smaller scale.

However if Rangers were to do something serious about this then the focus would change onto another club and then the authorities would be dealing with them instead.

Clubs have to take responsibility for their own problems and not worry about anyone else.

Unfortunately, as far as Rangers and Celtic are concerned, I don't see there being an end to this any time soon. It has been a feature in the rivalry in Glasgow pretty much since both clubs were established in the 19th century and the fans aren't going to change their ways just because UEFA are handing out fines.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    They probably don't know, and I doubt they'd be that bothered to be honest.
    I highly doubt the people of Israel were fine with the Huns' one hand salutes when they were playing Hapoel Tel Aviv in the UEFA cup. I'd also have doubts that the people of Manchester would welcome them back with open arms.

I highly doubt the people of Israel were fine with the Huns' one hand salutes when they were playing Hapoel Tel Aviv in the UEFA cup. I'd also have doubts that the people of Manchester would welcome them back with open arms.

...no forgetting the rest of Scotland doesny want them either

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    If you fancy a giggle have a peek on followfollow, you'll be treated to beauties like this:

kirkieger
    1st Team Regular

Re: Time to have some 21st century thinking for our own good.
    It's nothing to do with songs or sectarianism, it's all to do with a concerted anti Rangers fenian agenda.

Guy on the news said that the maximum fine for this is £1m, though he said this level was unlikely.
    But we can always hope... come on UEFA

If you fancy a giggle have a peek on followfollow, you'll be treated to beauties like this:

kirkieger
    1st Team Regular

Re: Time to have some 21st century thinking for our own good.
    It's nothing to do with songs or sectarianism, it's all to do with a concerted anti Rangers fenian agenda.
    Oh the irony. He probably doesn't realise what he just wrote.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    Surely the songs aren't sectarian or the SFA/SPL/SFL would have fined them before now.

European bureaucrats with no genuine understanding of traditional British folk singing poking their conspiratorial noses in.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lofarl
    I hope UEFA are up for a fight on this. The mighty fans of the famous Glesga Raingurz will hit European football with a mighty bhoycott, sry boycott. That will bring the governing body to it's knees.

They did after all bully Lloyds bank into a humiliating climbdown. Lets not forget the way they told Her Majesty's custom & excise where to go, when they incorrectly made a error in tax calculations.

This is clearly a conspiracy ran by Italian cafflics that pure rule UEFA byer way min.