hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Player Ratings

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar

Player Ratings

Marks out of ten :

Brown (7) - Looked steady enough and was better with his kicking. Great save in first half from close range. Think he is a decent enough replacement for Stack.
    Booth (7) - Really like the look of this lad. Good going forward and decent enough at defending aswell. Some crosses a bit wayward today.
    Dickho (6) - Still doesnt look comfortable at times and should have scored right at the end of the first half. This position needs to be looked at.
    Hanlon (6) - Thought he was ok today but always seems to never play aswell as he can in derby games. Should have had a penalty against him in the first half.
    Towell (6) - He looked decent going forward but still made a number of poor crosses that were overhit. Regardless really hope we can somehow hold on to him.
    Scott (7) - Real fighter and I think hes movement and range of passing today was good. Nasty challenge on Black but we will let him off.
    Thornhill (5) - Never really affected the game apart from one through ball while on the ground right at the death where Riordan should have scored.
    Palsson (7) - Thought he looked comfortable and assured on the ball. No idea why he was substitued? Unlucky with his miss looked like it bobbled up.
    Miller (7) - Great penalty. Calm as you like and he showed real emotion with the celebration. Think he played well today with some classy touches. Was angry to see him have to go off injured.
    Sodje (4) - Was he playing today? Beaten in the air time and time again by Webster and Zaliukas and apart from getting the penalty was anonymous. Poor performance from him and yet to be convinced - one shot he had was embarrassing.
    Riordan (3) - Derek Derek Derek. Plays for himself and no-one but himself and had a number of opportunities to score or put players in for which he failed to do every time. Even nicked the ball off of Vaz Te at the end.

Subs :

Vaz Te (For Scott) (6) - Thought he looked OK when he came on. Great skill shown for the goal and great celebration to go with it. Unlucky at the end when Mr Riordan decided to go for all the glory (yet again) when he had the better body position for the shot.
    Murray (For Miller) (2) - Rubbish. Shocking defending for their equaliser. Hes finished.
    Wotherspoon (For Palsson) (6) - Thought he had a good few crosses and one-on-one situations down the right hand side when he came on.
    ​​
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016 - The Immortals

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by essexhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Marks out of ten :

Brown (7) - Looked steady enough and was better with his kicking. Great save in first half from close range. Think he is a decent enough replacement for Stack.
    Booth (7) - Really like the look of this lad. Good going forward and decent enough at defending aswell. Some crosses a bit wayward today.
    Dickho (6) - Still doesnt look comfortable at times and should have scored right at the end of the first half. This position needs to be looked at.
    Hanlon (6) - Thought he was ok today but always seems to never play aswell as he can in derby games. Should have had a penalty against him in the first half.
    Towell (6) - He looked decent going forward but still made a number of poor crosses that were overhit. Regardless really hope we can somehow hold on to him.
    Scott (7) - Real fighter and I think hes movement and range of passing today was good. Nasty challenge on Black but we will let him off.
    Thornhill (5) - Never really affected the game apart from one through ball while on the ground right at the death where Riordan should have scored.
    Palsson (7) - Thought he looked comfortable and assured on the ball. No idea why he was substitued? Unlucky with his miss looked like it bobbled up.
    Miller (7) - Great penalty. Calm as you like and he showed real emotion with the celebration. Think he played well today with some classy touches. Was angry to see him have to go off injured.
    Sodje (4) - Was he playing today? Beaten in the air time and time again by Webster and Zaliukas and apart from getting the penalty was anonymous. Poor performance from him and yet to be convinced - one shot he had was embarrassing.
    Riordan (3) - Derek Derek Derek. Plays for himself and no-one but himself and had a number of opportunities to score or put players in for which he failed to do every time. Even nicked the ball off of Vaz Te at the end.

Subs :

Vaz Te (For Scott) (6) - Thought he looked OK when he came on. Great skill shown for the goal and great celebration to go with it. Unlucky at the end when Mr Riordan decided to go for all the glory (yet again) when he had the better body position for the shot.
    Murray (For Miller) (2) - Rubbish. Shocking defending for their equaliser. Hes finished.
    Wotherspoon (For Palsson) (6) - Thought he had a good few crosses and one-on-one situations down the right hand side when he came on.
    I'd give Booth at least 8, Thornhill 7, Miller 8, Scott 5, Sodje 5, Deeks 4 and the rest I'd probably just about agree with

Quote Originally Posted by essexhibee View Post
    Marks out of ten :

[Dickho (6) - Still doesnt look comfortable at times and should have scored right at the end of the first half. This position needs to be looked at.
    I thought he was OK today, looked solid in the air and didn't try tp play fancy football just passed to one of his more talented full backs.
    Wasn't it Sodje who missed with the header just before half time ?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I thought thornhill was our best player today.

Quote Originally Posted by DannySugden View Post
    I thought he was OK today, looked solid in the air and didn't try tp play fancy football just passed to one of his more talented full backs.
    Wasn't it Sodje who missed with the header just before half time ?
    No, it was Dickoh.

I thought everyone played well enough to get pass marks except for Riordan and Sodje.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_fairnie View Post
    opinions and all that but i thought he was poor - looks off the pace and gave the ball away too often.

Have to say though he put in a great crunching tackle which Brines incorrectly penalised leading to their equaliser.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    He was hardly in the game imo

It certainly is all about opinions as i thought Thornhill played well and never stopped running. I also thought Riordan worked harder than he has in a long time but was very poor in his finishing.

Brown 7
    Towell 7
    Booth 8
    Hanlon 7
    Dickoh 7
    Palsson 8
    Scott 5
    Thornhill 8
    Miller 7
    Sodjie 5
    Riordan 5

Vaz te 5
    Wotherspoon 5
    Murray 3

Two pieces of slack defending done us today, as well as some poor finishing. i also felt we did not move the ball fast enough in the second half. I also felt CC should not have taken off Palsson. If Scott had not been booked in the first half he would have given us the energy we needed in the second half. We should have won and I am gutted, we are still moving in the right direction.

Left by mutual consent! PC Stamp's Avatar
    Interesting re Thornhill. General opinion round me was that he worked hard but couldn't tackle and his passing wasn't great. A marginally less fit version of John Rankin was how another sage described him.
    I'd tend to agree with that. He had little influence on the game for me.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar

I'd agree with that.

He had a couple of slack passes but his overall performance was first class.

Quote Originally Posted by PC Stamp View Post
    Interesting re Thornhill. General opinion round me was that he worked hard but couldn't tackle and his passing wasn't great. A marginally less fit version of John Rankin was how another sage described him.
    I'd tend to agree with that. He had little influence on the game for me.

At one point he didn't even look up and played a hit and hope pass straight to a Hearts player that reminded me of Rankin.

Cant believe he is getting an eight from some people - what exactly did he do to merit such a high score? Genuinely interested to know

Miller on the other hand had his best game for yonks.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post

At one point he didn't even look up and played a hit and hope pass straight to a Hearts player that reminded me of Rankin.

Cant believe he is getting an eight from some people - what exactly did he do to merit such a high score? Genuinely interested to know

Miller on the other hand had his best game for yonks.
    Opinions, eh? Until the penalty, I'd have said Miller was doiing his usual Derby Day Disappearing Act.

Quote Originally Posted by GloryGlory View Post
    Opinions, eh? Until the penalty, I'd have said Miller was doiing his usual Derby Day Disappearing Act.
    Agreed - but that doesn't mean today wasn't his best game for some time

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GloryGlory View Post
    In fact for the first half hour I didn't think he'd turned up at all.

Better performance in the second half it's got to be said.

Brown- 6 Dodgy with the ball at his feet.

Towell- 7 struggled early doors V Driver but came good.
    Hanlon- 5 Thought Paul looked shaky today.
    Dickoh- 6 Not bad.
    Booth- 8 Great game from the lad again. Templeton never got a kick while he was on.

Scott- 5 Didnt do much. 5 for sything down Black.
    Miller- 7 Done well. Looks a new player of late. Kept nerve for the penalty.
    Palsson- 6 Should have buried his chance, but combative and good range of passing.
    Thornhill- 8 MOM for me. Still finding his feet in the SPL, but looks promising.

Riordan- 3 Nothing went right for him.
    Sodje- 5 Not great. But caused a couple of problems for their backline.

Vaz Te- 6 Lively player, always looking for the ball. Get him signed up longterm.
    Spoony- 3 No impact.
    Murray- 1 Only on for 5 minutes and lost Webster for their goal

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superhibi1 View Post
    He was hardly in the game imo
    I thought he was involved in all our good play today and looks a very good signing. Can't believe some are comparing him to Rankin!!!

I must have been at a different game. I thought booth wasnt up to his usual high standards, thornhill scott indifferent, sodje better than deek (who was dire throughout) and both hanlon and dickoh were good..my MOM was Miller.

Trying hard to look at the positives...at least we didnt lose.

Very poor day for the defence due to Brown's uncertainty-being a good shot stopper is no longer enough-he never organises his defence.

Midfield didn't appear until we were a man up and even then were far too slow in moving the ball.Persist in passing to front players with back to goal.When Wotherspoon came on he didn't seem to know what he was supposed to be doing.As he says in an interview today he's a couple of years older than Palsson so he should be standing up to be counted.

Front two should have won the game even allowing for a very good goalkeeping display.

Am I showing my age when I say we need an old fashioned "tanner ba' player" ala Micky Weir in midfield ?
    We had nobody with the skill to open up their defence by running at them which could have created space for others .
    Don't like giving "marks" to players after a game but must reluctantly say Deek is not doing enough to warrant a new contract on this showing

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Just watching the game again now, I'm a bit surprised at the amount of criticism the team's getting. For an hour we were by far the better team, and even when it was 11 v 11 the game could have gone either way (bear in mind that we won our penalty from which we equalised while it was 11 aside).

Yes, the Yams missed some great first half chances, but we weren't without our chances either.

The biggest disappointment was conceding at 2-1 from a very basic ball into the box. That said, the ball should never have been near our box because Thornhill's tackle on the Yam was perfect.

I think the comments about Brown are fair enough, good shot stopper but we missed Stack bossing folk. I think Stack would have been quick to charge down the ball for their equaliser as well, not that I'd blame Brown for not saving a point blank finish.

I thought we played exactly as we should against 10 men. Kept the ball and made the Yams chase it. We were far too wasteful in front of goal and there were a few times when we just needed someone to stick their foot through the ball around their box, rather than trying to walk it in.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Agree with that

Only two criticisms today. We should have scored at least one more with the chances we had and though we moved the ball well we could have done with doing it faster. But we did create enough to win the match.

@hibs.net private member
    I thought Browns' kicking was well better today. Don't think one ball went out. They were long and pretty straight.
    As for the ball at his feet, made me think of Maka at the Falkirk game at ER from last season (December 09) where the Falkirk striker ran at him and he just calmly moved the ball at his feet and then passed it out.

Quote Originally Posted by jdships View Post
    We had nobody with the skill to open up their defence by running at them which could have created space for others .
    I thought today was a game where we missed Zemmama. Our midfield is so much better with the extra muscle we get from Scott and Palsson, but we could do with some creativity in the final third as well. Hopefully this will get addressed in the summer.

We created enough chances it was the inability to take them that was the problem. I can think of at least 5 or 6 excellent chances that we failed to score from, so it was not the chance creating that was the problem, but the taking of them.

Quote Originally Posted by fife hfc View Post
    We created enough chances it was the inability to take them that was the problem. I can think of at least 5 or 6 excellent chances that we failed to score from, so it was not the chance creating that was the problem, but the taking of them.
    Agreed. Miller put in some cracking balls, as did Booth, but we couldn't get the right touch on the end of it.

Testimonial Due
    Brown - 6 - A couple of decent saves and his kicking was far better than usual

Towell -6 - Poor concentration a fair few times.
    Hanlon- 5 - His worst game for a while, were the F was he for the 2nd goal, and perhaps the first.
    Dickoh - 5 - Unlucky not to score before half time, same comments as above re both the goals.
    Booth- 7 - Played well and looked very confident for his first derby.

Scott - 4 - Did not really do anything. CC was right to take him off.
    Miller - 8 - MOM for me, thought it was his best game by a distance for some time.
    Palsson- 5 - Should have scored / got things going far quicker in the second half, seemed to slow the play down, would question where he was for the first goal.
    Thornhill - 6 - undecieded, thought he was alright at times, very unlucky for the free kick that never was for there 2nd goal.

Riordan - 5 - was more involved than he has been for ages, was unfortunate that nothing came off for him.
    Sodje- 5 - Won the penatly but did not do as much in the air as he has done previously.

Vaz Te- 6 - Did well when he came on and took his goal well.
    Spoony- 4 - Did not really have a lot of time, enough of the ball but did well with what he had.
    Murray - 3 - Did not have enough time, cant agree with comments that he was responsible for 2nd, there was three hearts players lining up to score in the middle of the goal!!! Where are our CH's!!

All in all I cant decided whether to be happy or not with the result. If we got that two months ago I would have been buzzing. I think we needed to put much more pressure on them at the start of the 2nd half, no urgency and a lack of composure at times.

Suprisingly I thought our defense was poor from set plays and when playing 11 v 11.

@hibs.net private member MacBean's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: macbean8 PSN ID: paulmchfc
    Dont see how Vaz Te would get any less than Scott?

Had some brilliant touches and his goal was brilliant.
    no disrespect to Scott but they played the same amount of time and if anything Vaz Te had a more positive impact on the game than Scott
    Hibernian Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Albion Hibs View Post
    Brown - 6 - A couple of decent saves and his kicking was far better than usual

Towell -6 - Poor concentration a fair few times.
    Hanlon- 5 - His worst game for a while, were the F was he for the 2nd goal, and perhaps the first.
    Dickoh - 5 - Unlucky not to score before half time, same comments as above re both the goals.
    Booth- 7 - Played well and looked very confident for his first derby.

Scott - 4 - Did not really do anything. CC was right to take him off.
    Miller - 8 - MOM for me, thought it was his best game by a distance for some time.
    Palsson- 5 - Should have scored / got things going far quicker in the second half, seemed to slow the play down, would question where he was for the first goal.
    Thornhill - 6 - undecieded, thought he was alright at times, very unlucky for the free kick that never was for there 2nd goal.

Riordan - 5 - was more involved than he has been for ages, was unfortunate that nothing came off for him.
    Sodje- 5 - Won the penatly but did not do as much in the air as he has done previously.

Vaz Te- 6 - Did well when he came on and took his goal well.
    Spoony- 4 - Did not really have a lot of time, enough of the ball but did well with what he had.
    Murray - 3 - Did not have enough time, cant agree with comments that he was responsible for 2nd, there was three hearts players lining up to score in the middle of the goal!!! Where are our CH's!!

All in all I cant decided whether to be happy or not with the result. If we got that two months ago I would have been buzzing. I think we needed to put much more pressure on them at the start of the 2nd half, no urgency and a lack of composure at times.

Suprisingly I thought our defense was poor from set plays and when playing 11 v 11.
    agree with 99% of the above - but for the second goal it was towell that left elliott completely unmarked.

I wouldn't have blamed Brown for the 1st goal, that was just really poor defending by Hanlon and I think the other player was Dickoh, not closing the player down and allowing him virtually a free shot on goal. Riordan was awful throughout the game as well. I still really savour the brilliant goals he's scored for us, they will always live in my memories, but he doesn't look half the player these days.