hibs.net Messageboard

Edinburgh Charities game v Newcastle United 1955

Plz plz help.......i am looking for details on the charities match against newcastle that was played at easter rd on 6th August 1955. I have managed to get the team list and the attentance, but the information i still need is the most important - the score. I hope someone can help. Thanks

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by lou42us View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plz plz help.......i am looking for details on the charities match against newcastle that was played at easter rd on 6th August 1955. I have managed to get the team list and the attentance, but the information i still need is the most important - the score. I hope someone can help. Thanks
    you could try the iHibs

http://ihibs.co.uk

I had a quick look and the only home game I found against Newcastle was on 16/11/55 and the score was 2-0. It may not be on that site or I may not have looked properly. Might be worth a try though.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Take a look here for the programme, you sometimes get the score written on it, but doesn't appear so here!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-8-55-Hiberni...item51985f275e
    Last edited by Bostonhibby; 23-03-2011 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lou42us View Post
    Score was 1-1

Willie Ormond scored for Edinburgh Select after 6 minutes and Keeble equalised for Newcastle in the second half. Lawrie Reilly had a goal chalked off and Newcastle missed a penalty. The Referee was none other than Bobby Davidson

thanks very much for all your help......Im also needing the score for the Aston Villa charities match that was played the summer of 1946. cheers

Would you like to post the teams?

First Team Breakthrough Conrad Gray's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Would you like to post the teams?
    I'm assuming its the 1946 game you are talking about....The teams from the programme are -

Edinburgh

Brown
    Howie
    Shaw
    Finnigan
    Brennan
    Kean
    Smith
    Walker
    Aitken
    Macrae
    Walker

Aston Villa

Rutherford
    Cummings Potts
    Lowe
    Callaghan
    Iverson
    Smith
    Starling
    Edwards
    Dixon
    Goffin

Does anyone have a definitive list of the Edinburgh Select games?? Also did they ever play any away fixtures?

1946/47 Edinburgh select v Derby County 4.5 to county, linwood 1, Ormond 2 and Pithie with a freekick.

1941/42 - Arsenal
    1942/43 - RAF select
    1943/44 - RAF select
    1944/45 - Aston Villa
    !945/46 - Huddersfield town
    1946/47 - Aston Villa
    1947/48 - Derby County
    1948/49 - Blackpool
    1949/50 - Wolves
    1950/51 - Newcastle Utd
    1951/52 - Liverpool
    !952/53 - Portsmouth
    1953/54 - Wolves
    1954/55 - Bolton Wanderers
    1955/56 - Newcastle Utd
    1956/57 - Birmingham City
    1957/58 - Preston North End
    1958/59 - Liverpool
    1959/60 - Newcastle Utd
    1960/61 - Chelsea

Im not sure if anymore games were played after the 1960 one. As far as i am aware all the games were played at either Tynecastle or Easter Rd with no away fixtures. Hope this helps

In the early 60s there were games against Burnley who were league champions at the time.

The games were always well attended especially as it was usually the first football seen for over 3 months.The team had 6 players from the club whose ground the game was being played at and there was always the interest in seeing combinations of players from the two clubs.The English teams weretop notch.