hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Coaching Staff scott7_0(Prague)'s Avatar

John Rankin told he can leave!

http://www.hibernian-mad.co.uk/news/...32/index.shtml

Former ICT man won't recieve contract offer in the summer

According to press reports in today’s tabloids, Hibs manager Colin Calderwood has told John Rankin his contract will not be renewed at the end of the season.

Rankin is one of 14 players still at the club, with their contract up at the end of this campaign, and like fellow midfielder Kevin McBride, he has been told he can find a new club.

The 27-year-old joined the Hibees in 2008 from Inverness Caledonian Thistle, when then manager Mixu Paatelainen paid £150,000 for the player.

He has gone on to make over 100 appearances for the Hibees scoring 8 goals.

Rankin started his career with Manchester United, but failed to make the grade at Old Trafford, he then moved to Ross County in 2003, where he played over 100 games for the 1st division club. He was also capped at Scotland B level while playing for the Staggies.

He then moved to Highland rivals Inverness Caley in 2006, and made over 50 appearances for them.

The highlight of his time at Easter Road was the famous “Squiggler” goal against Celtic in 2008, when he beat keeper Artur Boruc from 45 yards out, with an intentionally sliced shot, that dips and swerves on it’s way to goal

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    It's worse than that, Ian's a gonner too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9419537.stm

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Cod Flanders
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Brilliant

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    £150k Another that wont be missed, CC seems to have the same eye as me regarding the dross and who should be punted.

TBH after he retired Rebus i just don't feel he was offering the fans the same quality anymore.

It will give him more time to concentrate on his books

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    TBH after he retired Rebus i just don't feel he was offering the fans the same quality anymore.
    He didn't tackle anything worthwhile after that.

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar

Adlai Stevenson, John Wilkes Booth and JK Galbraith have also been given the heave-ho.

If he's not careful, Delia Smith could be next.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Cod Flanders
    Despite having great ability to hit the net, Andy Murray is also being booted I have been informed.

Coaching Staff
    Terry McCann was also told he could leave.....he was last heard leaving East Mains saying "I could be so good for you......" with some older geezer in a sheepskin coat with a cigar

Left by mutual consent!
    Brilliant

Coaching Staff
    I feel bad for the guy.

Not really a fans' favourite I know, but I don't think anyone could ever accuse him of not trying. I just think perhaps his ability/confidence has been surpassed by new additions to the team and with that in mind, he's best off somewhere else.

Hope he gets a regular game in the future because on top form, he has been shown to have a bit of an eye for goal. The squiggler versus Celtic and his goal in the 3-0 win at Ibrox being particularly memorable.

Good Luck, Ian.... I mean, John.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    £150k Another that wont be missed, CC seems to have the same eye as me regarding the dross and who should be punted.
    Is this the bit when Blackpoolhibs tries to rebuild his "messageboard credibilty" after it was obliterated at the point of, and leading up to Yogi's departure?

Here's my point about John Rankin. He's an OK player. He's not going to take Hibs to a higher level. He's not going to drag a decent side down either. He's a hard working professional. The sort of guy who could come in if the likes of Scott is injured, run about a bit, without the midfield as a whole taking a hammering. He'll more than likely get another SPL team. Rumours were that Dundee Utd were sniffing about him when Yogi arrived, in case he was surplus.

I'm not gutted that he's gone. I wouldn't be gutted if he stayed. A reliable squad player, but someone who I would hope we can improve on.

His hard work for Hibernian FC should be commended, and his goals against the Old Firm well remembered. Never deserved to be the scapegoat.

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    Is this the bit when Blackpoolhibs tries to rebuild his "messageboard credibilty" after it was obliterated at the point of, and leading up to Yogi's departure?

Here's my point about John Rankin. He's an OK player. He's not going to take Hibs to a higher level. He's not going to drag a decent side down either. He's a hard working professional. The sort of guy who could come in if the likes of Scott is injured, run about a bit, without the midfield as a whole taking a hammering. He'll more than likely get another SPL team. Rumours were that Dundee Utd were sniffing about him when Yogi arrived, in case he was surplus.

I'm not gutted that he's gone. I wouldn't be gutted if he stayed. A reliable squad player, but someone who I would hope we can improve on.

His hard work for Hibernian FC should be commended, and his goals against the Old Firm well remembered. Never deserved to be the scapegoat.
    Disagree, you've all but described him as ineffectual and that's why he deserves criticism.

A trier, but a headless chicken most of the time whose ability to pass a ball more than 5 yards was suspect at best, and who on many ocassions contributed the square root of heehaw whilst managing to look incredibly busy. Not a player who would take this club forward in any way, and just the type of dross which we need to get rid of to make way hopefully for better players. Please CC a few more to follow, at last a manager who it would appear has the balls to make the sweeping changes needed at Easter Road for about 2 seasons, and get this club moving in the right direction again.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    I bear no grudge, wish him well and thank him for his efforts - but I'm glad he's going.

That's Rankin and McBride. We were happy to let Nish and Thicot explore other options, so I'm guessing they'll be asked to smoke a fat one too.

Stack, Smith and Flynn have got to be worried. Moyes will do well to get a new deal, as will McCann. Towell will do a Rocastle. Stevenson is on a shoogly, Miller may try his luck elsewhere such as Bayern Munchen or AC Milan. EDG not even on the offical site anymore. Valdas will be asked to make Trakys and who knows about Deek.

14/15 oot the door,squad down to 19 and wage bill slashed. Rod'll like that.

Could be quite the summer sale in prospect.

Everything about him just annoyed me. Thanks for the goal and great performance in the 2-0 Celtic win under Mixu, by far your finest hour.

Coaching Staff
    That's Rankin and McBride. We were happy to let Nish and Thicot explore other options, so I'm guessing they'll be asked to smoke a fat one too.

Stack, Smith and Flynn have got to be worried. Moyes will do well to get a new deal, as will McCann. Towell will do a Rocastle. Stevenson is on a shoogly, Miller may try his luck elsewhere such as Bayern Munchen or AC Milan. EDG not even on the offical site anymore. Valdas will be asked to make Trakys and who knows about Deek.

I prefer to look upon summer as the season we became professional. I can't wait to see who comes in and the new look team. Really confident in the manner CC is doing things and I think we have a really bright future with him at the helm.

It was te expected was it not.....the ones that cant make the grade??

I would like to think that CC and DA have more than ample replacements lined up.... bear no grudge towards Rankin. Tries hard but not good enough IMHO. Great goals against the great unwashed but not much more than that.

More to follow me thinks.

Shame about Stacks injury cos he was looking the part big time and was becoming very consistent.

Disagree, you've all but described him as ineffectual and that's why he deserves criticism.
    Mediocre is the word I would use. Potentially ineffectual. In our current midfield, he'd look a much better player. I've not seen anything from Jimmy Scott which suggests that he is anything more than a tall John Rankin, with a "nasty ******* streak". Of course, those two attributes are key in taking advantage of the energy which he and Rankin possess.

Much like McBride, who looks good in a midfield who simply need him to keep possession by means of simple passes, and covering for the fullbacks when they get forward, Rankin could play well in a team who simply require someone who can make supporting runs (think Galbraith goal v Celtic), and is always available for the pass. He's not good enough to plug the gaps in physique and goals that we were looking for in midfield, but for a team - perhaps like dundee united at the time, looking for someone to keep up with the pace of Swanson and Goodwillie - he would be a greater asset.

Certain players play better in certain teams. Then you have teams in the bottom six who would play him in behind the strikers.

Theres every possibility that it's just not been for him at Hibs.

Whilst Rankon could never quite be described as one of the many "wage thieves", he just didn't have it and all the effort in the world didn't make up for the simple fact he wasn't good enough. So whilst it's not quite good riddance....I am also glad he's a goner!!!

I would hope that we would try to keep Towell, though not sure how easy Rantic will be to deal with and FWIW I reckon both Stevenson and Stacky may get another 12 months each...

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    Mediocre is the word I would use. Potentially ineffectual. In our current midfield, he'd look a much better player. I've not seen anything from Jimmy Scott which suggests that he is anything more than a tall John Rankin, with a "nasty ******* streak". Of course, those two attributes are key in taking advantage of the energy which he and Rankin possess.

Much like McBride, who looks good in a midfield who simply need him to keep possession by means of simple passes, and covering for the fullbacks when they get forward, Rankin could play well in a team who simply require someone who can make supporting runs (think Galbraith goal v Celtic), and is always available for the pass. He's not good enough to plug the gaps in physique and goals that we were looking for in midfield, but for a team - perhaps like dundee united at the time, looking for someone to keep up with the pace of Swanson and Goodwillie - he would be a greater asset.

Certain players play better in certain teams. Then you have teams in the bottom six who would play him in behind the strikers.

Theres every possibility that it's just not been for him at Hibs.
    I think in Jimmy Scott (to compare against Rankin) you get a player who doesn't always play back to goal, can use both feet, can chase down and harry players, and more crucially win possession and bully. Both have similar energy levels, but far far prefer having someone like Scott in midfield.

If you analyse when Scott has played, look where he is positionally when Hibs attack and get into the box. He is more often than not in areas where he can score/penetrate or make defenders think/mark. Rankin is far too often on the outskirts of the box, not keen enought to get into the box and make an option.

What annoys me about Ranks is the constant need to cut inside onto his left foot, or taking possession with his back to the opposition. He constantly turned into trouble and put us on the back foot IMHO. Good pro, fit as a butchers dog, has had his time at Hibs. Wish him well, but we can get better in.

the mild mannered janitor Last Minute's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Everything about him just annoyed me. Thanks for the goal and great performance in the 2-0 Celtic win under Mixu, by far your finest hour.

And the cracker v the Huns in the 3-0 win

Everything about him depressed me.

He just wasn't Hibs class. His ability, his look, his name, everything about him, completely and utterly depressed me.

The atmosphere around him just screamed Bottom Six Dross.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rich Tea12
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    I bear no grudge, wish him well and thank him for his efforts - but I'm glad he's going.
    nail on the head!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

Agree with most of that.

I have mixed reactions about the news on Rankin. From the pure point of view of looking at the quality of the team and how Rankin fits into it, it's good news - I can count on the fingers of one.. erm.. finger the number of games where Rankin has been significant in winning the midfield in any games.

I always liked his attitude though, never (IMHO) hid in games and is one of the few players who you can actually see trying harder when games aren't going his way.

Ultimately though, he's not a top 6 midfielder IMHO, and for that reason - he's out.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WormyEel
    Quote Originally Posted by Hainan Hibs View Post
    Everything about him depressed me.

He just wasn't Hibs class. His ability, his look, his name, everything about him, completely and utterly depressed me.

The atmosphere around him just screamed Bottom Six Dross.
    couldnae agree more, got a feelin he will end up with Mixu again, he was the last gaffer to get a semi-decent performance from him

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    I think in Jimmy Scott (to compare against Rankin) you get a player who doesn't always play back to goal, can use both feet, can chase down and harry players, and more crucially win possession and bully. Both have similar energy levels, but far far prefer having someone like Scott in midfield.

If you analyse when Scott has played, look where he is positionally when Hibs attack and get into the box. He is more often than not in areas where he can score/penetrate or make defenders think/mark. Rankin is far too often on the outskirts of the box, not keen enought to get into the box and make an option.

What annoys me about Ranks is the constant need to cut inside onto his left foot, or taking possession with his back to the opposition. He constantly turned into trouble and put us on the back foot IMHO. Good pro, fit as a butchers dog, has had his time at Hibs. Wish him well, but we can get better in.
    Rankin DOES chase down players, he DOES harrass players. However, he doesn't fly into tackles - which Scott does - because he's not got that nasty streak.

Scott also makes runs INTO the box because he can get a ball stuck on his head. At 6ft, he's a decent target. Rankin hangs about on the edge for the cutback because he wants to take a dig.

I wouldn't say that Scott is more two footed that Rankin, who played some decent games for us at right mid, and his goal against Rangers was with his right foot.