hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flamini, what a fud

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...pe/9418672.stm

I hope someone cuts this fud in half tomorrow with a similar challenge that he did then come out in the press and say he won the ball

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNhSt...eature=related

2. Log in to remove the advert

Terrible tackle and should have been off but he did actualy win the ball.

If Flamini leaves White Hart Lane tonight without the aid of crutches, I'll be bitterly disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by KiddA View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...pe/9418672.stm

I hope someone cuts this fud in half tomorrow with a similar challenge that he did then come out in the press and say he won the ball

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNhSt...eature=related
    C'mon Flamini! Defoe next!

Left by mutual consent!
    He did win the ball no?

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    I've a lot of time for Spurs and the way they play anyway, but I've never wanted an English team to destroy their opponents as much as I do tonight.

Testimonial Due one day maybe...'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    I've a lot of time for Spurs and the way they play anyway, but I've never wanted an English team to destroy their opponents as much as I do tonight.
    I can see Spurs ripping Milan a new one tonight, just hope that the job is done and dusted before someone nails Flamini, gonna be a great game at the Lane, c'mon the Yids.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by one day maybe... View Post
    I can see Spurs ripping Milan a new one tonight, just hope that the job is done and dusted before someone nails Flamini, gonna be a great game at the Lane, c'mon the Yids.

I can see Milan winning tonight in all honesty, And Flamini will be at the heartbeat of everything key.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    It was a bad tackle but I don't think his comments were that bad.

"People can say what they want but I went for the ball," Flamini told BBC Sport ahead of Wednesday's second leg.

"I'm sorry he got injured, but I don't have any regrets."

"Football is a physical game and sometimes things like that can happen," the 25-year-old stated. "I went to the dressing room after and apologised, what more can I do?

Quote Originally Posted by deano88 View Post
    It was a bad tackle but I don't think his comments were that bad.

"People can say what they want but I went for the ball," Flamini told BBC Sport ahead of Wednesday's second leg.

"I'm sorry he got injured, but I don't have any regrets."

"Football is a physical game and sometimes things like that can happen," the 25-year-old stated. "I went to the dressing room after and apologised, what more can I do?
    Nothing wrong with what he said

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ????? PSN ID: Nae ID. Wii Code: 69
    Quote Originally Posted by deano88 View Post
    I hope the ball is next to his tonight and somebody goes in with both feet, studs showing, in a good, solid attempt to get the ball.

It was a foul and a red card.

Winning the ball is irrelevant, it doesn't matter, a foul is a foul, whether you happen to win the ball or not. (Ledley got sent off for the same thing, v Hertz - he won the ball too.)

This is another one of those things that lazy summarisers, pundits and ex players say on the TV and radio and people then think it's the rule.

Souness said the other day that Hutton should have been sent off v Wolves, as he was the 'last man' - you don't go sent off for being the 'last man' you get sent off for denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity. And because of this people think this is the rule, last man = off; when it ain't necessarily so.

FYI

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be
    careless, reckless or using excessive force:

• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
    • trips or attempts to trip an opponent
    • jumps at an opponent
    • charges an opponent
    • strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
    • pushes an opponent
    • tackles an opponent

Winning the ball is not part of the Laws of the Game.

A. Pedant :greenfrin:
    Last edited by Cropley10; 09-03-2011 at 02:54 PM.

SPURS TEAM NEWS:

Rafa van der Vaart is available to face AC Milan in the Champions League tonight.

However, Harry Redknapp reported that Gareth Bale was 'touch and go' to start the last 16, second leg at the Lane.

Dutch maestro Rafa, 12 goals in 24 appearances this season, played an hour of our 1-0 first leg win in the San Siro on February 15 but a calf problem has ruled him out of our last two matches at Blackpool and Wolves.

"Rafa's okay," said Harry. "He trained this morning and yesterday, and worked particularly hard yesterday. He came through with no problems and he's available."

Gareth returned to action with a 20-minute stint off the bench in Sunday's draw at Wolves.

That was the Welsh flyer's first action since departing early at Newcastle with a back problem that subsequently kept him out for six weeks.

"Gareth trained this morning, his back is fine but he still felt a bit stiff in the the legs," said Harry.

"We will wait until today to see how he is. It's touch and go as to whether or not he's fit enough to start the game.

"I would love to start him and if he's fit, he's a fantastic player for us. If he's not quite right, I won't take a chance with him.

"I'm sure he's desperate to play but he won't play if he doesn't feel quite 100 per cent. It's his decision as to whether or not he feels ready. We'll have to wait and see."

Vedran 'Charlie' Corluka is also available after recovering from an ankle injury sustained in the first leg.

"Charlie is fit," added Harry. "He's fine. He's worked hard in training for the last week or two and he's available.

"I've now got to make a decision between him and Alan Hutton. We'll look at that one today.

"Charlie has worked hard with the physio and fitness coaches, he's made a good recovery and wants to play. Everyone wants to play in this game."

Ledley King (groin), Tom Huddlestone (ankle), Jonathan Woodgate (groin) and Younes Kaboul (knee) remain out.

I'd expect Harry to line-up his Spurs team tonight like this...

Gomes

Corluka - Dawson - Gallas - Assou-Ekotto

Sandro - Modric

Lennon - Van der Vaart - Bale

Crouch

Subs: Cudicini (GK), Hutton, Bassong, Jenas, Kranjcar, Defoe, Pavlyuchenko

Last edited by THFC6061; 09-03-2011 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cropley10 View Post
    It was a foul and a red card.

Winning the ball is irrelevant, it doesn't matter, a foul is a foul, whether you happen to win the ball or not. (Ledley got sent off for the same thing, v Hertz - he won the ball too.)

This is another one of those things that lazy summarisers, pundits and ex players say on the TV and radio and people then think it's the rule.
    From the previous thread about this, apparently the rule (according to FIFA) is:

"Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the
    front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force
    and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."

If that definition was strictly applied there would be 4 or more red cards per game. I agree winning the ball isn't the most relevant issue (although clearly it's not irrelevant) but I think it's all about the referee's interpretation.

But anyway, let's not let reasoned debate get in the way of some of the idiots on this thread having a pop at Flamini and hoping he suffers a serious injury.

Quote Originally Posted by THFC6061 View Post
    I'd expect Harry to line-up his Spurs team tonight like this...

Gomes

Corluka - Dawson - Gallas - Assou-Ekotto

Sandro - Modric

Lennon - Van der Vaart - Bale

Crouch

Subs: Cudicini (GK), Hutton, Bassong, Jenas, Kranjcar, Defoe, Pavlyuchenko

I don't think Bale will start. Much better to have him coming on fresh as a substitute against a tiring, aged Milan team.

Not sure about Corluka ahead of Hutton considering Milan will likely target the wide areas. Also think Spurs will go 442 with Defoe starting.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    I can see Milan winning tonight in all honesty, And Flamini will be at the heartbeat of everything key.
    I agree. Cant abide Spurs and 'Arry so hope they get horsed.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Gattuso's a bit weird as well:

"Italian football journalist Gabriele Marcotti added: "Gattuso is an emotional player but after getting angry he calmed down enough to hug and kiss William Gallas and Harry Redknapp. You think he is going to calm down then he goes after Joe Jordan. Absolutely incredible."

Hugging and kissing Harry Redknapp?

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    From the previous thread about this, apparently the rule (according to FIFA) is:

"Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the
    front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force
    and endangering the safety of an opponent
    is guilty of serious foul play."

If that definition was strictly applied there would be 4 or more red cards per game. I agree winning the ball isn't the most relevant issue (although clearly it's not irrelevant) but I think it's all about the referee's interpretation.

But anyway, let's not let reasoned debate get in the way of some of the idiots on this thread having a pop at Flamini and hoping he suffers a serious injury.
    This is the definition of serious foul play. As I said winning the ball is irrelevant, the laws of the game offer no mitigation for players 'winning the ball'.

Thankfully you don't see players do what Flamini did very often, I'm not sure what you mean by 4 times a game - what he did was dangerous, he endangered the boy and used excessive force IMHO. Key here is endangered and excessive.

He's a grade a fud alright

Horrible challenge, he deserves all the stick he gets tonight.

When watching that video i totally forgot that Harry and Jamie are father and son, it was only when Jamie said "well done mate" that i remembered they were.

Fantastic result for Spurs and a personal triumph for Harry Redknapp, who has just become the first English manager to lead his team into the UEFA Champions League Quarter Finals.

Special mention for Gallas and Sandro, who were outstanding for us today.

Fantastic result for Spurs and a personal triumph for Harry Redknapp, who has just become the first English manager to lead his team into the UEFA Champions League Quarter Finals.

Special mention for Gallas and Sandro, who were outstanding for us today.
    Spurs did enough tonight and defended well - but Milan were the better team 1st half but showed no urgency 2nd half - Italian football has really gone down hill the last few years.

Don't forget Brian Clough and Venables who have been to European Finals before - just not the renamed Champions League.

Agree Gallas played well and Sandro impressive - Seedorf did well for Milan too - the guy is a legend.

Spurs won't win it but have done well to get so far - the problem you have is getting into it next year as I think you will come 5th this season

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Hibee View Post
    Spurs did enough tonight and defended well - but Milan were the better team 1st half but showed no urgency 2nd half - Italian football has really gone down hill the last few years.

Don't forget Brian Clough and Venables who have been to European Finals before - just not the renamed Champions League.

Agree Gallas played well and Sandro impressive - Seedorf did well for Milan too - the guy is a legend.

Spurs won't win it but have done well to get so far - the problem you have is getting into it next year as I think you will come 5th this season

It's been a very strange Premier League season, so I'd not rule anyone out just yet.

BTW, if a miracle happens and Spurs do win the UEFA Champions League but finish in fifth place or lower in the Premier League, the team who finish fourth in the Premier League will miss out.

England are only allowed four participants in the 2011-12 Champions League and the holders of the trophy take precidence.

Left by mutual consent!
    It's been a very strange Premier League season, so I'd not rule anyone out just yet.

BTW, if a miracle happens and Spurs do win the UEFA Champions League but finish in fifth place or lower in the Premier League, the team who finish fourth in the Premier League will miss out.

England are only allowed four participants in the 2011-12 Champions League and the holders of the trophy take precidence.
    Were the rules changed after the Liverpool farce or were they given one off dispensation?

Quote Originally Posted by Woody1985 View Post
    Were the rules changed after the Liverpool farce or were they given one off dispensation?
    Sure they said on the telly last night that the winners don't automatically qualify for the following seasons tournament.

@hibs.net private member MountcastleHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CBacke

I'm sure that after the Liverpool farce, UEFA clarified the rules and the winners do not get precedence. Therefore IF Spurs do win it, but finish 5th Premier League they only qualify for the Europa League, not the Champions League.

Quote Originally Posted by MountcastleHibs View Post
    I'm sure that after the Liverpool farce, UEFA clarified the rules and the winners do not get precedence. Therefore IF Spurs do win it, but finish 5th Premier League they only qualify for the Europa League, not the Champions League.
    Wrong way round - CL winners will always qualify - fourth place would get bumped.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_F.C._Champions_League_qualification_2005 %E2%80%9306#Repercussions

@hibs.net private member MountcastleHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CBacke
    Quote Originally Posted by HNA8 View Post
    Wrong way round - CL winners will always qualify - fourth place would get bumped.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_F.C._Champions_League_qualification_2005 %E2%80%9306#Repercussions
    My apologies. Memory obviously failing me..

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post

Me too, Hamish.

Always preferred Spurs to Arsenal, about time the nice guys got a wee bit to shout about.

Arsenal - BIG TEAM, Spurs - WEE TEAM.

No brainer, really.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    My in-laws down here are Yiddos, with my borther-in-law a season ticket holder at the Lane.

Been to a few games with him, my last game was the defeat win the FA Cup Semi-final at Wembley last season to Portsmouth.

Spurs are my English team, always like them to do well, however I do not share their hatred for Arsenal.

J