hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar

Sham 69 - 'That's Life'

Up there with the best albums of all. Yes? Tune after tune after tune, and you can't half relate to it. A certain 'must-listen'.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Might just be me, but I've always found Sham 69 a bit cringeworthy.

No its not just you.

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    tell us the truth is probably their best album imho, but they were never the most innovative of the bands of their era. would much rather listen to the likes of Angelic Upstarts,Partisans or Blitz than Sham i'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerated View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    tell us the truth is probably their best album imho, but they were never the most innovative of the bands of their era. would much rather listen to the likes of Angelic Upstarts,Partisans or Blitz than Sham i'm afraid.
    Ah ..my kinda music ...

Quote Originally Posted by degenerated View Post
    They got a mention over the tannoy at McDiarmid yesterday - playing somewhere in Perth in May IIRC.

'Thats Life' was a top album in its day but i expect its a bit dated now...i used to listen to it a lot as a teenager and i particulary enjoyed the daft wee bits of banter between the songs,''mary,'i'll have a bacardi and coca cola!''ect...this stuff was taken from a play made to accompany the album...i think it was part of an 'Arena' season...quite a good play as i remember and it gave the album the feel of a soundtrack...anyway,if you want more of the same, Sham 69 are playing at the calton studios on saturday march 26th...they're headlining an all dayer with 10 bands playing from the afternoon through to late in the evening...other bands on the bill are 'drongos for europe' and edinburghs very own 'gin goblins'

Quote Originally Posted by fat freddy View Post
    'Thats Life' was a top album in its day but i expect its a bit dated now...i used to listen to it a lot as a teenager and i particulary enjoyed the daft wee bits of banter between the songs,''mary,'i'll have a bacardi and coca cola!''ect...this stuff was taken from a play made to accompany the album...i think it was part of an 'Arena' season...quite a good play as i remember and it gave the album the feel of a soundtrack...anyway,if you want more of the same, Sham 69 are playing at the calton studios on saturday march 26th...they're headlining an all dayer with 10 bands playing from the afternoon through to late in the evening...other bands on the bill are 'drongos for europe' and edinburghs very own 'gin goblins'
    Its sham but without Jimmy Pursey as far as im aware

Runnin Riot from northern ireland are also on the bill and well worth seeing, as are Critikill from Livingston

i've just spoken to someone in the know who has told me none of the original sham 69 are playing at this gig!...whats the point then?...i once saw x ray spex without poly styrene and i've seen loads of bands without the main players and i always come away feeling cheated...unless you like karaoke punk i wouldn't bother..

Quote Originally Posted by fat freddy View Post
    i've just spoken to someone in the know who has told me none of the original sham 69 are playing at this gig!...whats the point then?...i once saw x ray spex without poly styrene and i've seen loads of bands without the main players and i always come away feeling cheated...unless you like karaoke punk i wouldn't bother..

i saw x ray spex without polystyrene, blackpool i think, and although they were still very good (and the replacement bird was quite tidy ) it wasn't really the same. on the other hand though the undertones without feargal sharkey are still superb and worth seeing so it works okay with some bands

to be honest, drongos for europe and runnn riot are worth going to that gig for but if sham were playing in my garden i'd probably shut the curtains. i've seen them loads of times over the years and can only think of one or two times they have been any good.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Was Jimmy Pursey not a bit of a fruit cake, who liked girls who were much younger than him? I always thought he was kiddie on punk, but good for a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    Was Jimmy Pursey not a bit of a fruit cake, who liked girls who were much younger than him? I always thought he was kiddie on punk, but good for a laugh.
    he was that punk rock he was doing modelling work for GAP about 10 years ago or so