hibs.net Messageboard

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304

Thumbs Up Sir Alex Ferguson charged by English FA

Sir Alex Ferguson has been charged by the English FA for "improper conduct" following his comments in the wake of their defeat at Stamford Bridge, suggesting that "feared the worst as soon as the referee was confirmed" and that "for the third year in a row [a bad decision from a ref cost them the game]" at Stamford Bridge (the irony is astounding).

Edited with proper quotes from BBC website, instead of verbal quotes from BBC radio.
    Last edited by Sylar; 03-03-2011 at 03:50 PM.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Regular steviecarnie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Story So Far... View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sir Alex Ferguson has been charged by the English FA for "improper conduct" following his comments in the wake of their defeat at Stamford Bridge, suggesting that "the game was over as soon as the referee was confirmed" and that "they never get anything" at Stamford Bridge (the irony is astounding).
    why have you used qoutation marks when thats not what he actually said??

his actual words were - "You hope you get a really strong referee in games like this," said Ferguson afterwards. "It was a major game for both clubs and you want a fair referee. You want a strong referee anyway and we didn't get that. I don't know why he's got the game. I must say that when I saw who was refereeing it, I feared the worst."

all fair points imo, 13 games atkinson has referreed for chelsea since 2006 - 12 wins 1 draw

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by steviecarnie View Post

his actual words were - "You hope you get a really strong referee in games like this," said Ferguson afterwards. "It was a major game for both clubs and you want a fair referee. You want a strong referee anyway and we didn't get that. I don't know why he's got the game. I must say that when I saw who was refereeing it, I feared the worst."
    I was going on what Radio 1 said when reporting the story. They seemed to suggest those were his words. I did notice that wasn't quite the case when looking at the BBC website report on the incident mind you

Either way, they're quite right in taking action. I hope the SFA will also grow a pair and make an example of those who often go unpunished in Scotland, following last night

I was going on what Radio 1 said when reporting the story. They seemed to suggest those were his words. I did notice that wasn't quite the case when looking at the BBC website report on the incident mind you

Either way, they're quite right in taking action. I hope the SFA will also grow a pair and make an example of those who often go unpunished in Scotland, following last night
    Very funny. Regan's said his piece. Now I fully expect it to be forgotten about.

As for the original point, it's hardly worth mentioning.
    Referee makes mistakes
    Manager critices referee
    Manager gets punished.... Not even worth commenting on.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Wotherspiniesta View Post
    Very funny. Regan's said his piece. Now I fully expect it to be forgotten about.
    Regan spoke before they announced this "summit" though, did he not?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Wotherspiniesta View Post

As for the original point, it's hardly worth mentioning.
    Referee makes mistakes
    Manager critices referee
    Manager gets punished.... Not even worth commenting on.
    Well, it is and it isn't - you see, he's inferring that the referee is (and has in the past) cost them points/goals against Chelsea with a regularity at Stamford Bridge. That to me, suggests that he's suggesting Atkinson is less than honest, rather than just making mistakes.

Ferguson resorts to slamming officials quite regularly when United fail to win and evidently doesn't learn. The fines aren't enough to deter his comments though, so the action will no doubt be redundant.

Without a referee, there's no football, and the lack of respect the top clubs particularly show to referees is appalling (maybe as a result of extra pressure from expectations?)

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    I watched Fergusons interview after and i recall him saying that the chelsea boy with the heid of hair should have been sent off and the game would therefore have changed, Spot on IMO..But then if Rooney had been ( Which make no mistake he should have) been sent off against Wigan wouldnt the game have changed then too? He cant have his cake and eat it.

Man u may well have stil beat Wigan with 10 men, But no way would they have won 4-0 with ten men, Its quite feasible the League may go down to goal difference and that game where Rooney should have walked makes a real difference.

I hear what Ferguson is saying, I do..But he cant have it all his way which he does.

@hibs.net private member
    Well, it is and it isn't - you see, he's inferring that the referee is (and has in the past) cost them points/goals against Chelsea with a regularity at Stamford Bridge. That to me, suggests that he's suggesting Atkinson is less than honest, rather than just making mistakes.

Ferguson resorts to slamming officials quite regularly when United fail to win and evidently doesn't learn. The fines aren't enough to deter his comments though, so the action will no doubt be redundant.

Without a referee, there's no football, and the lack of respect the top clubs particularly show to referees is appalling (maybe as a result of extra pressure from expectations?)
    No You're inferring that, Ferguson might be implying it though

It's not really worth a debate.

He's criticised the referee after he had a shocker and been charged for it.

End of.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar

all fair points imo, 13 games atkinson has referreed for chelsea since 2006 - 12 wins 1 draw
    Chelsea are a top team and win a lot of their games. You could probably find refs with a similar record in Man U (or Arsenal, or the OF) games. It doesn't prove anything.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    I watched Fergusons interview after and i recall him saying that the chelsea boy with the heid of hair should have been sent off and the game would therefore have changed, Spot on IMO..But then if Rooney had been ( Which make no mistake he should have) been sent off against Wigan wouldnt the game have changed then too? He cant have his cake and eat it.

Man u may well have stil beat Wigan with 10 men, But no way would they have won 4-0 with ten men, Its quite feasible the League may go down to goal difference and that game where Rooney should have walked makes a real difference.

I hear what Ferguson is saying, I do..But he cant have it all his way which he does.
    The last paragraph made me laugh given that it's a contradiction.

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody1985 View Post
    Read it 3 times and my heid is bursting now

Surely this can't be right. Man Utd had a player sent off, a dodgy penalty given against them and now the manager has been charged with misconduct or something.

I thought there was a big conspiracy to ensure nothing ever went against Man Utd?

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Surely this can't be right. Man Utd had a player sent off, a dodgy penalty given against them and now the manager has been charged with misconduct or something.

I thought there was a big conspiracy to ensure nothing ever went against Man Utd?
    let's hope the tide is changing. It would be about time too. 10 game ban please. Then again for it to change we might need another 10 decisions to go against them.
    Last edited by HH81; 03-03-2011 at 05:43 PM.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody1985 View Post
    He is right in what he saying Im merely stating that he cant have it both ways, I.E When decisions go Man united's way.

Ferguson is a genius, but also a drunken hypocrite. Remember it was his management team who, when asked about the Rooney incident on Saturday, said that we should'nt get into debates about refereeing decisions. 72 hours later and who initiates the next debate on refereeing decisions, as I said, genius, complete and utter twonk of the highest order, but stuff like this is comedy gold !

@hibs.net private member thebakerboy's Avatar
    Sir Alex Ferguson has been charged by the English FA for "improper conduct" following his comments in the wake of their defeat at Stamford Bridge, suggesting that "feared the worst as soon as the referee was confirmed" and that "for the third year in a row [a bad decision from a ref cost them the game]" at Stamford Bridge (the irony is astounding).

Edited with proper quotes from BBC website, instead of verbal quotes from BBC radio.
    As Alex Ferguson does not speak to the BBC I don't see how they could have verbal quotes on BBC Radio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but who gives a flying one anyway Hibees have won 5 on the trot:cgwa

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by delbert View Post
    Ferguson is a genius, but also a drunken hypocrite. Remember it was his management team who, when asked about the Rooney incident on Saturday, said that we should'nt get into debates about refereeing decisions. 72 hours later and who initiates the next debate on refereeing decisions, as I said, genius, complete and utter twonk of the highest order, but stuff like this is comedy gold !
    Too true

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Found guilty, and given a 5 match touchline ban - seems fair (if a little lenient)

Quote Originally Posted by 2468 View Post
    Found guilty, and given a 5 match touchline ban - seems fair (if a little lenient)
    will appeal and win

presidence* - Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger was given a 12-game ban from the dugout for pushing a fourth official in 2000 but that was reduced to one game on appeal

Gamer IDs

will appeal and win

presidence* - Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger was given a 12-game ban from the dugout for pushing a fourth official in 2000 but that was reduced to one game on appeal
    Would just show the FA to be utterly spineless, yet again.

They always back down on punishing managers from the so-called bigger clubs.

Would just show the FA to be utterly spineless, yet again.

They always back down on punishing managers from the so-called bigger clubs.
    scared of a lawsuit, until referees are held accountable or need to speak to the media like managers/assistants/players and explain there reasons for a decision, this will continue to happen. and same goes for spl/epl not so much champs league as different countries have different interpretations on what is a foul (high foot, shoulder to shoulder's etc)

Falkirk and Wotherspooniesta will be crying themself's to sleep