hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Testimonial Due

Ok - 31 points five to play before split...

...can we sneak the last place in the top 6?

Does anyone have the stats for the usual number of points won by 6th at the split? My gut feeling is that 40 would be neccessary meaning three more wins would see us there.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Motherwell beating Celtic has probably done for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberal Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Does anyone have the stats for the usual number of points won by 6th at the split? My gut feeling is that 40 would be neccessary meaning three more wins would see us there.
    40 won't be enough, imho

Dundee Utd have 34 points now, with 8 games to the split.
    Motherwell have 37 points with 5 games to the split
    Killie have 39 points with 6 games to the split.

I can't see us catching any of these teams unless we win all of our remaining games.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberal Hibby View Post

motherwell on 37pts,were on 31pts , so cant see 40pts being enough tbh .
    utd on 34pts with 3 games in hand , so id say we have to win 4 or maybe even 5 out of our last 5 to get there . big big ask but you never no .
    ggtth

First Team Regular
    With Motherwell on 37points and Dundee Utd on 34(8games left ) I think it will take more than 40points. For us to be in with a shout. I think we need to pick up 12points.

If we beat Celtic I'll believe we can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by purehibee1875 View Post
    If we beat Celtic I'll believe we can do it!
    We need to take care of the Perth Saints first

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    I think we need to win our next five games and hope that Motherwell, Dundee United and Inverness drop points. However can the likes of Dundee United and cope with so many games and it will just be a matter of time before fatigue kicks kicks in. Lets not forget they are still in the Scottish Cup so therefore are going to get even more shattered.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Motherwell's last 5 games are,
    Inverness away
    Kilmarnock away
    Aberdeen Home
    Dundee Utd Home
    Hearts away

We really need to take each game as it comes!

Sadly I think we will run out of games. Pity because the extra finance would have been handy. I hope the board have a contingency plan and come up with some more initiative's to offset this a little.

If I am right then our aim should be to have a strong finish to the season whilst building towards next season and perhaps seeing if the Likes of the borderline squad members such as McCann, Byrne, Stevenson and others have a future at Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Just going to fall short. Motherwell beating the wee greens probably sealed our fate. I think 43 /44 points is going to be required. Which means beating the PBS dwellers and getting a draw at darkheid. But you just never know

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mim View Post
    40 won't be enough, imho

I can't see us catching any of these teams unless we win all of our remaining games.
    BUT it goes only on the games played before the split SO if Dundee utd dont play all there games before it and we're above them we get in....

And i have a bet on hibs to finish in top six worth three hundred and sixty four pounds fifty
    Last edited by Alex Trager; 01-03-2011 at 10:36 PM.

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevvy1875 View Post
    Sadly I think we will run out of games. Pity because the extra finance would have been handy. I hope the board have a contingency plan and come up with some more initiative's to offset this a little.
    The increase in ST prices for the disabled and kids 12 and over will help there

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanduff View Post
    BUT it goes only on the games played before the split SO if Dundee utd dont play all there games before it and we're above them we get in....

And i have a bet on hibs to finish in top six worth three hundred and sixty four pounds fifty
    if Utd haven't played all their games and aren't guaranteed top six then the split may well be put back.

No chance they will miss the split because they haven't played enough games.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    if Utd haven't played all their games and aren't guaranteed top six then the split may well be put back.

No chance they will miss the split because they haven't played enough games.
    Rangers once played st mirren away after the split....

Maybe I'm picking you up wrong but as far as I know, the split can't happen unless all requisite fixtures are fulfilled. Its not like you can carry games in hand over indefinately as that would kinda defeat the object.
    At least that's how I understand it.

That cannot be right surely .. Pee masel' if it happened but I don't see it 'appening.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Rangers once played st mirren away after the split....
    Correct but it had no bearing on the split.

Rangers were guaranteed to be top six and St.Mirren couldn't make it.

Trust me if we are above Dundee Utd after we have played 33 games and they have say only played 31 then they will be allowed to play the games.

It could be interesting though, I'll give you that.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenhibby View Post
    Motherwell's last 5 games are,
    Inverness away
    Kilmarnock away
    Aberdeen Home
    Dundee Utd Home
    Hearts away

We really need to take each game as it comes!
    If Motherwell get any more than 7 points from that lot then Hibs will need to win all 5 games to have any chance of overtaking them.

Going on their points average this season 7 points may be exactly what they get - in which case we'd maybe squeak through on 4 wins and a draw, but would likely need to dish out a couple of tankings to make up the goal difference.

The only other hope is that any one of Motherwell/Dundee Utd/Killie go on an almighty turkey of a run in which case we might just squeeze through by a baw hair on 42 or 43 points - only 11 points out of 15 needed to have a hope in hell then - surely no problem at all for......

:cgwa:cgwa

Left by mutual consent!
    We'll be bottom 6 this year. Too many teams with games in hand and more points than us. It's a pity they didn't get some form pre Christmas as that would have helped us.

If we get top 6 I'll start a song from the West

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Correct but it had no bearing on the split.

Rangers were guaranteed to be top six and St.Mirren couldn't make it.

Trust me if we are above Dundee Utd after we have played 33 games and they have say only played 31 then they will be allowed to play the games.

It could be interesting though, I'll give you that.
    That’s what I thought – if teams are in different sides of the split the fixture can be carried forward but if United were 2 games short prior to the split they couldn’t just put the whole league on hold while they tried to play catch up. Could they? You'd have 10 teams sitting about waiting on the games being played?

They might make them play 3 games in 3 days or something which could be of benefit to us?!

There must be something in the rules?

Quote Originally Posted by mim View Post
    40 won't be enough, imho

Motherwells recent run has probably put an end to our top six hopes and few would have thought they would have got 6 points from pittodrie and against celtic.They desrve to be top six as do killie.For us to have any chance we will probably need 13 points from our last four games which is a big ask to say the least.The fixtures are tough apart from Hamilton at home and include the saintees away(where of course we dont have a good record),hertz at home(winnable)dons away which will be a tough game going by the hertz highlights.Also celtic away when the title race is so close means no decisions for us at parkhead.It is frustrating that we didnt start to pick up points a few games earlier but given where we have come form 5 games ago a much brighter future lies ahead.
    As some people have said it would probably be better to play bottom six and pick up a few wins to carry on into next season.The big loss of the top six is financial but with only one big home game probably left(celtic)then we arent going to lose as much as we would have done normally.Right now its good being a hibby again and if we dont make the top six thats not going to change that.

Left by mutual consent!
    This may be an odd thing for a Hibs supporter to say, but I am not bothered about the top six. In the last five games we have got a bit of momentum, but we are miles away from where we should be and I think CC knows this.

I would rather keep winning the games we should win St.J, Hertz and Hamilton and continue that after the split against the bottom six (three games at home) and get some of the young guys in. Build confidence for next season and get some reinforcements and hopefully start next season on the front foot.

A lot of points to be won and lost between the teams 4th to 10th who have a few games against each other. Who knows?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...es/default.stm

First Team Breakthrough Hibeesb0unc3's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DILL0N TAYL0R
    nah don't personally think it is possible, we have a slim chance if we win our 5 remaining games but even then that might not be enough. Plus our goal difference is -14 and most top six teams we can catch only have a goal difference of about -3. so this means we have to finish a point above the team as our goal difference is so bad
    Last edited by Hibeesb0unc3; 02-03-2011 at 08:38 AM.

Just need to win two more games than Motherwell.

Oh and hope they get beat the other games.

Oh and there's the goal difference...

Kinda talking myself out of this :) chance though

I know the split's crazy, but it's not quite THAT crazy!

The split's not a specific point in time, it's the point at which all teams have played 33 games.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    I am happy enough that this is still a live and credible discussion. Have a feeling though that in the coming weeks, the threads will be more about how to we approach the bottom six fixtures.

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine1875 View Post
    This may be an odd thing for a Hibs supporter to say, but I am not bothered about the top six. In the last five games we have got a bit of momentum, but we are miles away from where we should be and I think CC knows this.

I would rather keep winning the games we should win St.J, Hertz and Hamilton and continue that after the split against the bottom six (three games at home) and get some of the young guys in. Build confidence for next season and get some reinforcements and hopefully start next season on the front foot.
    Outside of the financial considerations, I see no benefit in squeezing into the top six. Even if, by some miracle, we squeezed into Europe, I'm not sure that would be very useful to us at this point of (I hope) major restructuring of the team.

Ultimately I think this debate will be a hypothetical one anyway, i.e. I doubt we'll make it.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjhibby View Post
    Motherwells recent run has probably put an end to our top six hopes and few would have thought they would have got 6 points from pittodrie and against celtic.They desrve to be top six as do killie.For us to have any chance we will probably need 13 points from our last four games which is a big ask to say the least.The fixtures are tough apart from Hamilton at home and include the saintees away(where of course we dont have a good record),hertz at home(winnable)dons away which will be a tough game going by the hertz highlights.Also celtic away when the title race is so close means no decisions for us at parkhead.It is frustrating that we didnt start to pick up points a few games earlier but given where we have come form 5 games ago a much brighter future lies ahead.
    As some people have said it would probably be better to play bottom six and pick up a few wins to carry on into next season.The big loss of the top six is financial but with only one big home game probably left(celtic)then we arent going to lose as much as we would have done normally.Right now its good being a hibby again and if we dont make the top six thats not going to change that.
    Certainly is...