hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Totally agree. i thought he was ****in shockin. He shoots like someone has amputated his feet
    Whilst I agree his shooting was poor, Akpo does what the likes of Nish and others don't. He ocupies centre halves fully, out-muscles, makes them think, wins most of his one-to-one headers, and in general leads the line and takes the sting out of games at crucial times.

If he holds the ball up, the team gets the chance to regroup and get back into position better. When Nish played the role, far far too often we would lose the ball, not win the header, and that would mean the opposition coming at our midfield and defence a lot quicker.

We need a wee penalty box striker IMHO, but there can be no debate regards the contribution Akpo has made to the overall team performance. If others see him competing and winning possession and tackles, then they too try that extra bit to do the same.

The workrate all over the pitch has increased tenfold since CC has managed to bring in his players. They play as a team......you see that when we score now......9 players jumping on the goalscorer with happiness and joy. Compare and contrast to before January and more importantly under Hughes. They are not playing like little lost souls anymore. There is (sorry to borrow from the Yams) a togetherness and a "we shall not lose" mentality. Akpo has that in shed loads.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Stack-8

Booth-9
    Hanlon-7
    Dickoh-6
    Towell-6

Palsson-6
    Miller-8
    Wotherspoon-4
    Scott-8

Sodje-5
    Riordan 5

Great win today and a few outstanding performances (Miller, Booth, Scott and Stack stood out for me) but I dont get the Dickoh love at all. He is a bombscare in my view and we would be well advised to get a replacement in the summer.

I'm delighted for CC though, his own team now and it is starting to show in both results and performances.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sahib View Post
    No way was he ****in shockin. He makes a lot of difference to the team compared to Nish or Trakys.
    That's not really a measure of quality is it?

He is here purely because he was all that was available on deadline day. I accept he can hold the ball up but positionally and his final ball & shooting are abysmal.

He looks like a reserve league 1 striker from what I've seen so far

Stack 8 - Big saves at crucial times
    Towell 7 - Would like to see this player signed FT
    Dickoh 7 - Solid performance - won everything
    Hanlon 8 - Brilliant captain performance - how old is Hanlon again!!
    Booth 8 - Was outstanding in teh 1st half/good second half. What a player!
    Wotherspoon 5 - Not at his best- nothing came off today
    Palsson 7- Looks another cracking young lad
    Miller 8 - Some class touches - worth a new deal if he can keep this up
    Scott 6 - Battling performance

Riordan 7 - Like Miller was involved in some cracking build up play. Worked hard
    Sodje 6 - Battled all the way - decent performance
    Subs

Thornhill 5 - Didn't do too much when he came on
    Stevenson 6 - Great goal!
    Nish 5 - Not on for long enough so average 5 rating

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Whilst I agree his shooting was poor, Akpo does what the likes of Nish and others don't. He ocupies centre halves fully, out-muscles, makes them think, wins most of his one-to-one headers, and in general leads the line and takes the sting out of games at crucial times.

If he holds the ball up, the team gets the chance to regroup and get back into position better. When Nish played the role, far far too often we would lose the ball, not win the header, and that would mean the opposition coming at our midfield and defence a lot quicker.

We need a wee penalty box striker IMHO, but there can be no debate regards the contribution Akpo has made to the overall team performance. If others see him competing and winning possession and tackles, then they too try that extra bit to do the same.

The workrate all over the pitch has increased tenfold since CC has managed to bring in his players. They play as a team......you see that when we score now......9 players jumping on the goalscorer with happiness and joy. Compare and contrast to before January and more importantly under Hughes. They are not playing like little lost souls anymore. There is (sorry to borrow from the Yams) a togetherness and a "we shall not lose" mentality. Akpo has that in shed loads.
    Great post I didnt think any of the 11 today let themselves down, Sodje included.

Blog Entries

I agree he hold the ball up but I don't think he occupies the CB's fully as you say. He seems to like to drop deep and wander out to the touchline. when he does he does he isn't productive and leaves us without a target in the box. For his size he should be bullying CB's. He was getting nudged out the way and going to ground too easily today for my liking

Stack 9 - several excellent blocks and saves. Quickly off his line to make a brilliant diving punch to save a certain tap in.
    Towell 7 - tidy and secure.
    Dickoh 9 - dominant. First class performance.
    Hanlon 8 - likewise, but had to be bailed out by Stack when he made his one slip.
    Booth 10 - immense. Great goal takes his MOM mark from 9 to 10.
    Scott 7 - great work rate. I like this guy a lot.
    Palsson 6 - a bit disappointing, but he worked hard. He is very young and clearly talented.
    Miller 8 - best game for yonks. Can he keep it up?
    Wotherspoon 5 - Should have buried his first half chance. Needs to do more in the attacking third.
    Sodje 6 - excellent target man display, but laughable shooting.
    Riordan 5 - not his best day, but still prepared to drive the ball goalwards.

Stevenson 5 - well taken goal. A good cameo appearance.
    Thornhill 3 - didn't see much from him
    Nish 1 - only time for one belly laugh.

Bit harsh on deeks perhaps?

Brilliant strike from corner of area on his left foot- great save prevented goal

couple of other good hits. Decent linking play. More than a 5 I reckon.

He is here purely because he was all that was available on deadline day. I accept he can hold the ball up but positionally and his final ball & shooting are abysmal.

So no connection between us winning the last 4 games that he has started in then ya miserable sod?

I agree he hold the ball up but I don't think he occupies the CB's fully as you say. He seems to like to drop deep and wander out to the touchline. when he does he does he isn't productive and leaves us without a target in the box. For his size he should be bullying CB's. He was getting nudged out the way and going to ground too easily today for my liking
    since he's been here it's the most I've seen a hibs striker put his weight around in a long time- who was the last striker that would have such a physical battle with cb's?

I can recall in 80mins or so him sheilding the ball, his back to two players and goal, dominating them both. And that's frequently the case. Don't recall him going to ground as often as you say.

I certainly wouldn't like to play against him

People should remember that we could not hold the ball up front for most of the season and that has been our downfall. When we beat the huns and Well we had Trakys up front. he couldnae score in a month of Sundays but held the ball up and allowed us to get further up the field as a team. Sodjie is the same he will not score many goals but he helps the team out in so many ways. being able to hold the ball up, means the midfielders will take more risks and make runs rather than just sitting as they know the ball will come straight back and therefore we invite more pressure on ourselves, Therefore though not my idle striker Sodjie is vital to the team at this time.

anyway I thought everybody contributed to a very good win and display today and if we had delivered a better final ball on numerous occasions we could have had a far more convincing win. It is the first time in ages I have come away from a game thinking we totally deserved the win.

Stack 9
    Towell 7
    Booth 9 MOM
    Hanlon 8
    Dickoh 8
    Scott 8
    Miller 8
    Palsson 7
    Wotherspoon 6
    Sodjie 7
    Riordan 6

Quote Originally Posted by RoYO! View Post

Brilliant strike from corner of area on his left foot- great save prevented goal

From my vantage point, the great save was only a good save (and one for the cameras).

I gave Deek a pass mark for his efforts on goal and a couple of decent passes, but generally his ball control was poor.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    So no connection between us winning the last 4 games that he has started in then ya miserable sod?
    Don't get me wrong, he's better than what we had. Calderwood obviously wanted a presence up front and he's definitely that but considering the main function of a striker is to score goals and even though he's got a goal I'd be stunned if he was a regular next year

@hibs.net private member NiallGR's Avatar
    Miller MOM by a mile for me! Very rarely lost a ball and everything he did going forward was excellent, I was suprised he got withdrawn, thought scott would get whipped and miller pushed out! Still love Scott's energy tho(always in my team).

Would love to keep LM on this form, playing like this reminds me of his first three months of his careeer at the mighty hibees!

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Hermie Hibby View Post
    Miller MOM by a mile for me! Very rarely lost a ball and everything he did going forward was excellent, I was suprised he got withdrawn, thought scott would get whipped and miller pushed out! Still love Scott's energy tho(always in my team).

Would love to keep LM on this form, playing like this reminds me of his first three months of his careeer at the mighty hibees!

GGTTH
    Miller had his best game in a long time, perhaps because he is not having to carry the whole midfield.
    Hanlon and Dickoh were good, having two nippy young fullbacks and a keeper on a decent run of form obviously helps. Dickhoh seems to be improving all the time, he showed good control and doesn't over elaborate, like Bamba did on occasion.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermie Hibby View Post

GGTTH
    Agree, I thought it was his best game for us, amazed to see some on here giving him a 6. Boothy not far behind, what a prospect.

Well done Caldo, what a difference compared to these dark depressing days under Yogi.

Quote Originally Posted by RoYO! View Post

as you say, his link up play was good,and was it not his response and quick thinking to release a throw in as he picked the ball up,that led to Booth's goal? or did i dream that? i admit to being a Riordan fan,to my shame

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

Spot on about Sodje, though the comment "he shoots like someone's amputated his feet" was brilliant!

Overall, thought we were good today. Never felt that we were in danger of losing, and on the few occasions that ICT did get through, Stack was immense and kept them out.

Ratings, then...

Stack 9 - about as good a performance from him today as he could have given.
    Towell - 7 I like him, and thought he did well today.
    Dickoh - 8 Did well, won most of his headers and got the foot in when needed.
    Hanlon - 9 I thought he was immense today, reads the game fantastically well, seems to be getting physically stronger by the game. A class act.
    Booth - 9 See comments for Hanlon, but chuck in a great goal as well. My MOTM.
    Wotherspoon - 5 did a lot right today, but final ball was frequently over-hit or misplaced.
    Miller - 7 Had a pretty good game, needs to be more consistent with his passes. Thought he covered loads of ground today and looks much closer to being the player we know he can be.
    Scott - 7 Very industrious, not short of a bit of skill as well, and gets wired in.
    Palsson - 6 I didn't think he had a great game against St Mirren, and thought he was a bit off the pace again today. Maybe works better with Murray in beside him in midfield, but overall did enough to get pass marks.
    Riordan - 5 One shot in the first half that forced a good save, but generally thought that things weren't working for him today, despite a good effort from him. Won a header, too.
    Sodje - 7 Shooting is laughably bad, however he makes up with it by a solid overall performance. Wins headers, holds the ball well, tackles, and causes all sorts of problems for the defenders. Got hee-haw from the ref today, as well.

Subs:
    Stevenson - 8 Scored the goal that clinched it. Doesn't matter that it was deflected, football games are defined by moments like the second goal, so all credit to Lewis for having a pop.
    Thornhill - 7 Looks a good, if unspectacular, player. Can see him being our midfield 'steady-eddie' for some time.
    Nish - not really on long enough to get a rating one way or the other. Wasn't offside and spent more time on his feet than on his erse, so no complaints from me!
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Stack - 9

Towell - 7
    Dickoh - 8
    Hanlon - 9
    Booth - 10

Wotherspoon - 6
    Palsson - 7
    Miller - 9
    Scott - 10

Sodje - 8
    Riordan - 7

Stevenson - 5
    Thornhill - 4
    Nish - 3

12th Man - >10

Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    Stack - 9

Towell - 7
    Dickoh - 8
    Hanlon - 9
    Booth - 10

Wotherspoon - 6
    Palsson - 7
    Miller - 9
    Scott - 10

Sodje - 8
    Riordan - 7

Stevenson - 5
    Thornhill - 4
    Nish - 3

12th Man - >10
    The ratings scoring seem to be increasing pro-rata with the length of time passed since full time. Probable multiplier being number of celebratory sherbets in the intervening period!!

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Stack - 8 (Been solid for us since his return)
    Towell - 6 (Done what needed to be done)
    Dickoh - 7 (Really got stuck in today, has more to offer though)
    Hanlon - 7 (Looked comfortable for the most part)
    Booth - 9 (Class act today, great goal)
    Spoony - 6 (Average performance. Needs to run at players more)
    Palsson - 7 (Looks very professional and will hopefully be a consitant player for us)
    Miller - 6 (Played well today, but got caught in posession a little too often)
    Scott - 8 (Looks to be a very tough player for the opposition to deal with, which is exactly what we need at the moment)
    Sodje - 6 (Gets himself into great positions. Needs to work on his shooting)
    Riordan - 5 (Thought he was pretty poor overall today. Needs to try and pick up the pace a little more)

Quote Originally Posted by Tory Hibby View Post
    The ratings scoring seem to be increasing pro-rata with the length of time passed since full time. Probable multiplier being number of celebratory sherbets in the intervening period!!
    ...or maybe the miserable torn faced disasters who like to identify a fall guy every week are in their beds :-)

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    ...or maybe the miserable torn faced disasters who like to identify a fall guy every week are in their beds :-)
    or maybe the fall guys removal from the first 11 has been significant in the turnaround in results...

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvino View Post
    ... bar one very good effort Riordan was again uninvolved...
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee92 View Post
    Riordan 7 - looked a lot more interested and involved
    I always enjoy this thread to see how differently people see the same game. I don't often get in to see the game, but I enjoyed the match yesterday thanks to free Green Day tickets, and one of the positives for me was Riordan's work rate and thinking. Among other things, he had a lovely shot on target in the first half, an intelligent pass up the line in the second, and his quick thinking led directly to our first goal, which was a vital breakthrough and enabled the team to relax and play for the last quarter. Well done, Deeks.

Totally agree. i thought he was ****in shockin. He shoots like someone has amputated his feet
    He can't hit the side of a barn from 6 yards( I know he scored against Killie), and some of his attempts are comical. BUT, he wins some 90% of headers and can hold the ball up, something Nish cannot do, and has been a major factor in our 4 in a row along with the other signings and Booth. But he's definitely not long term material that's for sure. Did anyone clock his miss in the warm up from 2yards? he hit the bar, and his other misses?, he was screaming at himself, hopefully it was just a bad day at the office but I somehow don't think so.

Stack 7 - Competent. Did all that was asked of him
    Towell 6 - Not convinced he's a full back, (bit like Stevenson?) If it was me I would have Spoony at r/b and push him further forward
    Dickoh 6- Bullied a couple of times by Foran, but did ok overall
    Hanlon 6 - Couple of slips, but has good recovery powers. Needs to work on his physique in the close season
    Booth 8 - Reminds me of a young Shades. Can't get a bigger compliment than that
    Palsson 6 - Better second half I felt. Good composure
    Scott 7 - Energetic, closes down people really well, something we haven't really had since Matty
    Miller - 7 Some really nice passages from him, final ball lets him down
    Spoony -6 Worked hard and never hides
    Sodje -6 Same as Spoony. Holds the ball up well. No comment on his shooting
    Riordan - 6 Apart from his shot in the first half nothing really came off for him. Thought he worked harder than I have seen him though. Still moans constantly, nothing wrong with that though

Stevenson 6 -Did well in his 20 minutes. Looked hungrier than the last time I saw him
    Thornhill - 5 Worked hard, not enough time to really impose himself though
    Nish - Not enough time on to rate

Quote Originally Posted by matty_fairnie View Post
    Spot on about Sodje, though the comment "he shoots like someone's amputated his feet" was brilliant!

Overall, thought we were good today. Never felt that we were in danger of losing, and on the few occasions that ICT did get through, Stack was immense and kept them out.

Ratings, then...

Stack 9 - about as good a performance from him today as he could have given.
    Towell - 7 I like him, and thought he did well today.
    Dickoh - 8 Did well, won most of his headers and got the foot in when needed.
    Hanlon - 9 I thought he was immense today, reads the game fantastically well, seems to be getting physically stronger by the game. A class act.
    Booth - 9 See comments for Hanlon, but chuck in a great goal as well. My MOTM.
    Wotherspoon - 5 did a lot right today, but final ball was frequently over-hit or misplaced.
    Miller - 7 Had a pretty good game, needs to be more consistent with his passes. Thought he covered loads of ground today and looks much closer to being the player we know he can be.
    Scott - 7 Very industrious, not short of a bit of skill as well, and gets wired in.
    Palsson - 6 I didn't think he had a great game against St Mirren, and thought he was a bit off the pace again today. Maybe works better with Murray in beside him in midfield, but overall did enough to get pass marks.
    Riordan - 5 One shot in the first half that forced a good save, but generally thought that things weren't working for him today, despite a good effort from him. Won a header, too.
    Sodje - 7 Shooting is laughably bad, however he makes up with it by a solid overall performance. Wins headers, holds the ball well, tackles, and causes all sorts of problems for the defenders. Got hee-haw from the ref today, as well.

Subs:
    Stevenson - 8 Scored the goal that clinched it. Doesn't matter that it was deflected, football games are defined by moments like the second goal, so all credit to Lewis for having a pop.
    Thornhill - 7 Looks a good, if unspectacular, player. Can see him being our midfield 'steady-eddie' for some time.
    Nish - not really on long enough to get a rating one way or the other. Wasn't offside and spent more time on his feet than on his erse, so no complaints from me!
    OK it's all about opinions but how can you give Thornhill(who really did verylittle and never caught up with the pace of the game)a higher mark than Riordan who set up Wotherspoon with a chance he should have taken-forced a good save from the goalie and with his quick thinking gave Booth the opportunity to score a good goal which really was the game winner.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    OK it's all about opinions but how can you give Thornhill(who really did verylittle and never caught up with the pace of the game)a higher mark than Riordan who set up Wotherspoon with a chance he should have taken-forced a good save from the goalie and with his quick thinking gave Booth the opportunity to score a good goal which really was the game winner.
    Everyones entitled to an opinion...but it surprised me how many people didnt rate Riordan yesterday. I thought he was really sharp, worked hard and was unlucky not to score.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    I thought Riordan had a fairly poor game, to be honest. Although he was involved in some chances, there were many times that a move fell apart when Riordan got involved. In hindsight, probably a 6 or 7 would have better reflected the positives to his play.

He gets the assist for our 2nd goal and he has completely dominated every defender he has played against in the SPL thus far. If Riordan or another striker can learn how to play off him it would be very fruitful.

While his shooting may be somewhat erratic he did score his goal when he had a little time very well.