hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Arch Stanton's Avatar

Talent and or Experience

And yes, this is inspired by the Points and or Performance thread - I just wondered if anyone agreed with me that we should stop looking for experience - talent does perfectly well on its own.

And I know that there are talented players that have long and productive careers in the SPL, but for some reason, rarely with Hibs - never figured that one out to be honest.

Anyway, surely after what Mowbray achieved and given how we have been managing with our young players recently (Hanlon as captain for one!!) we should just forget about getting experienced players in and field the up-and-comings as much as possible. I'd be happy to pay see that.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I'd prefer both, a great talent with bags of experience.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by crabit View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And yes, this is inspired by the Points and or Performance thread - I just wondered if anyone agreed with me that we should stop looking for experience - talent does perfectly well on its own.

And I know that there are talented players that have long and productive careers in the SPL, but for some reason, rarely with Hibs - never figured that one out to be honest.

Anyway, surely after what Mowbray achieved and given how we have been managing with our young players recently (Hanlon as captain for one!!) we should just forget about getting experienced players in and field the up-and-comings as much as possible. I'd be happy to pay see that.
    What did Mowbray achieve?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post

Managed one of the most entertaining Hibs teams in years, brought through talent that made Millions of £'s for Hibernian.

Booby Williamson wanted rid of Deek !!!!

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    His team won the League Cup.

It has to be talent,

Deek had talent now he has experience

Joking aside Talent is all hibs can go for we cant afford experience.
    Last edited by Sammy7nil; 21-02-2011 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by simply the best View Post
    It has to be talent,

Deek had talent ow he has experience

Joking aside Talent is all hibs can go for we cant afford experience.
    Generally, I think we can afford one or the other. Players with both cost an awful lot.

Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    Generally, I think we can afford one or the other. Players with both cost an awful lot.
    Good point

Still talent for me.

Good point

Still talent for me.
    Me too.

3rd top and 4th top in league and decent domestic cup runs as well.

Mind you I suppose John Hughes might well have equalled that had he been kept on.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Liam Miller has both and yet has been unbelievably disappointing for us - there is no formula. Sometimes just the right player in the right place at the right time works - the opposite can be true also.

I would always go for talent over experience regardless of age but with that comes a real lack of consistency too.

Only under JC in the last few years did we have the tenacity to dig out a result when we weren't playing well.

Under Mowbray we really had to be on form to win and our away results & performances were generally pretty bad.

Under Mixu & Yogi the results seemed to come from individual plays rather than all round good team performances.

Calderwood with his most recent signings has managed to encourage a team ethic again with most players working for each other for the whole 90 minutes. Probably not the prettiest to watch right now but as the confidence in each other grows the football should get better.

Very much looking forward to the summer when the rest of the squad changes take place, very impressed with his eye for a player so far and that was in a transfer window that rarely produces good signings.

Coaching Staff
    3rd top and 4th top in league and decent domestic cup runs as well.

Mind you I suppose John Hughes might well have equalled that had he been kept on.
    Maybe, aye. He did get 4th in his only full year with by all accounts one of our worst set of players ever.

Perhaps with a bit more experience Mowbrays team could have won at St mirren, or Inverness, or wouldn't have got pumped off Hearts regularly, or bottled the bigger cup games?

I was just interested in the word achieved. We had some great young players but little was actually achieved.

Maybe, aye. He did get 4th in his only full year with by all accounts one of our worst set of players ever.

Perhaps with a bit more experience Mowbrays team could have won at St mirren, or Inverness, or wouldn't have got pumped off Hearts regularly, or bottled the bigger cup games?

I was just interested in the word achieved. We had some great young players but little was actually achieved.
    How did Yogi do in Paisley, Inverness, v the Yams and the cups?

i agree re the cups (Mogga always always took off his best players at 1-0 in key cup games. Cue inevitable late equaliser and subsequent defeat, frequently vs DUFC)

but not the jambos. sure there were some baddies, but i remember spanking them with glorious football a few times, 2-1 at Tynie, the unbeatables game, etc.

but to answer the original post: talent

Talent eg Yogi was experienced but talentless despite what his apologists say.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Managed one of the most entertaining Hibs teams in years, brought through talent that made Millions of £'s for Hibernian.

Booby Williamson wanted rid of Deek !!!!

And Whittaker. Supposedly was preparing a swap (Deeks & Whit) plus cash deal with Inverness for a 32 year old CB.

Anyways I would have both talent and experience. .

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Quiet_Man View Post
    How did Yogi do in Paisley, Inverness, v the Yams and the cups?
    Lost mostly. I was talking about Mowbray, didn't bring up Hughes.

Lost mostly. I was talking about Mowbray, didn't bring up Hughes.
    No, you didn't bring up Hughes, but you seemed to be unaware that Mowbray had achieved anything (or was there another point to that question?) and it was pointed out that he had achieved more than Hughes, someone you set a lot of store by.

And lets face it, if any two managers epitomised what the OP was about it is Mowbray and Hughes.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    You are having a laugh here Andy.

Ok he never won us a trophy however he has been the best manager we have had in the past 30 years and helped nurture all that young talent along.

People will still be talking about Mowbray's time at ER years from now.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    You are having a laugh here Andy.

Ok he never won us a trophy however he has been the best manager we have had in the past 30 years and helped nurture all that young talent along.

People will still be talking about Mowbray's time at ER years from now.
    I'm just struggling to gauge correctly the Hibs.net sucess or achievement monitor.

Sometimes it's all about playing nicely, but not winning anything, sometimes it's enough just to win, regardless of style, sometimes winning isn't good enough if you didn't play well.

This thread was about ability or experience. Mowbray had a talented team of kids and some shrewd additions but failed to add that bit of experience that would have turned us into a team that would have accomplished something. We came up short when the ral questions were asked of that team.

Around about him Bobby had taken us to a final and JC won the thing so in terms of achievement, what I seem to be hearing is that it is all about the stye that we win a few games in.

Hughes has been brought into it. On the face of it, 4th place stacks up not too badly against anything Mowbray ever achieved if looking at what you actually get at the end of the day.

And currently, well, a team winning games by just battling away a bit, that shouldn't really sit with us too well if Mowbray is what is being held up as achievement here.

I'm just struggling to gauge correctly the Hibs.net sucess or achievement monitor.

Sometimes it's all about playing nicely, but not winning anything, sometimes it's enough just to win, regardless of style, sometimes winning isn't good enough if you didn't play well.

This thread was about ability or experience. Mowbray had a talented team of kids and some shrewd additions but failed to add that bit of experience that would have turned us into a team that would have accomplished something. We came up short when the ral questions were asked of that team.

Around about him Bobby had taken us to a final and JC won the thing so in terms of achievement, what I seem to be hearing is that it is all about the stye that we win a few games in.

Hughes has been brought into it. On the face of it, 4th place stacks up not too badly against anything Mowbray ever achieved if looking at what you actually get at the end of the day.

And currently, well, a team winning games by just battling away a bit, that shouldn't really sit with us too well if Mowbray is what is being held up as achievement here.
    And now you ARE having a laugh. Both managers did indeed get to 4th place - but how do you measure TM's 3rd place with where Hughes had us this season?

Or, to put it another way, how do you measure up TM's 48% win ratio at Hibs with JH's 35%?

Can you really say that it stacks up too badly for Hughes and keep a straight face?

One had good football and crowds flooding back. One talked absolute deluded pish - I see how you empathise however - both of you are deluded to the end.

And now you ARE having a laugh. Both managers did indeed get to 4th place - but how do you measure TM's 3rd place with where Hughes had us this season?

Or, to put it another way, how do you measure up TM's 48% win ratio at Hibs with JH's 35%?

Can you really say that it stacks up too badly for Hughes and keep a straight face?
    Coupled with Hughes' poor signings, talking nonsense and the indefensible WORST home record ever.