hibs.net Messageboard

Now For The Top Four

Seems like a poor game but we've now got traction, and are playing with organisation, power and commitment. Sadly, that's about all you need in a joke of a league.

We should be looking to climb this table of deadbeats, make the top six at the split and finish 4th.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seems like a poor game but we've now got traction, and are playing with organisation, power and commitment. Sadly, that's about all you need in a joke of a league.

We should be looking to climb this table of deadbeats, make the top six at the split and finish 4th.

What exactly HAVE you been drinking?

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    What exactly HAVE you been drinking?

Okay...let's set our sights on staying in the bottom four. It's the SPL, not La Liga!

@hibs.net private member Liam89's Avatar
    I'll be secretly be gutted if we make the top six as I didn't put a bet on it when the odds were 80/1!

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    I'd be gobsmacked if we finished 4th.

We should be aiming for at least 3rd.

@hibs.net private member Aubenas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    When we were playing crap we were saying that it was frustrating that you didn't have to be very good to do well in this league, but we couldn't even manage that. Today we had shape, commitment, some skill and determination. And it got us a result. It wasn't pretty, but it worked - which is what, I think, CC promised when he came. Third away win of the season, first in Paisley since 99. No reason not to be optimistic - especially when teams above us have horrendous backlogs and some have yet to have their dip GGTH
    PS free beans with pies today - how much better does it get????
    Philly McGuinness, Leitrim GAA, died playing in a club match for Mohill. He epitomised all that is best about sport, making a 6 hour round trip to training three times a week from his workplace in Mayo, and was never late. His motto was 'Give it all, or give nothing'. One for all sportsmen to consider.

@hibs.net private member woodythehibee's Avatar
    only 9 points off 5th

Quote Originally Posted by Aubenas View Post
    When we were playing crap we were saying that it was frustrating that you didn't have to be very good to do well in this league, but we couldn't even manage that. Today we had shape, commitment, some skill and determination. And it got us a result. It wasn't pretty, but it worked - which is what, I think, CC promised when he came. Third away win of the season, first in Paisley since 99. No reason not to be optimistic - especially when teams above us have horrendous backlogs and some have yet to have their dip GGTH
    PS free beans with pies today - how much better does it get????
    The fact we haven't won there since '99, and places like ICT ever, shows the reality. Much 'prettier' Hibs sides have went to these places and got kicked off the park.

I'd rather we went those places and did what was necessary to get the 3 points, than go, try and play it on the deck and get booted out of the match.

Can we get into the top 6? It's hard to say, not because I don't think we can get the points, but because we will be reliant on others slipping up, of our remaining games, only ICT, Hearts and Celtic are top 6 opposition, so we can't even take points of our rivals directly, so we will have to hope results go our way elsewhere. Obviously ICT are on a slide, but there's Dundee United and all their games in hand to take into account.

At the least we probably need to take maximum points from the home match with ICT and the two games against Hamilton, that leaves I think games against St Johnstone, Hearts and Celtic. I reckon to reach the top 6 we are probably gonna need another 12 - 15 points to be sure.

@hibs.net private member Arch Stanton's Avatar
    Okay...let's set our sights on staying in the bottom four. It's the SPL, not La Liga!
    On the other hand we could consider it a job well done if we make the middle four - given the circumstances I mean.

Maybe even hope to make the top six - but anyone putting money on that is daft in my book.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: The Reaper
    We should definitely be looking up the way now but I'd settle for 7th.

That will do for starters. Next week's Green Day initiative should see our fan base reach that all important 400K mark. Throw some asbestos about the West Stand and offer free Lobotomys to everybody purchasing a season ticket next year and we will be right up there with the big boys.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    I am content to watch us playing that way to get us out of trouble and as a plan b it would be ok, but even in the SPL, grunt and punt will only get you so far. What I would say though, is that there are teams in and around the top six that have not had their sticky bit yet and I would expect ICT and Killie to be heading south sometime soon.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    I am content to watch us playing that way to get us out of trouble and as a plan b it would be ok, but even in the SPL, grunt and punt will only get you so far. What I would say though, is that there are teams in and around the top six that have not had their sticky bit yet and I would expect ICT and Killie to be heading south sometime soon.

Starting next week, I understand...

What the result of the match will be, of course, I have no idea...

First Team Breakthrough billbee's Avatar
    Must be worrying the Killie - Mixu there the day! told him to sit in the stand

Keep taking the tablets.

NURSE!

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    I say if we manage to win our next 3 games (Inverness, Hamilton and St Johnstone) and hope that the teams above us start to have their dip in form then we do have a good chance for the top 6. But having said that, we need to make sure that when the teams above do slip up, then we have to take full advantage of it and win. Failure to do so will just be a waste of time when you aren't taking advantage of favours from elsewhere. Anyways I would be happy with a 7th-8th place finish considering the terrible poor run we had been on prior to the home victory against St Mirren. But anyways here's hoping we go one better and finish in 5th-6th. It is possible but it's up to the team to keep up this good consistent run and get favours from elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    That will do for starters. Next week's Green Day initiative should see our fan base reach that all important 400K mark. Throw some asbestos about the West Stand and offer free Lobotomys to everybody purchasing a season ticket next year and we will be right up there with the big boys.
    Fair enough, but I'd be much happier if we could also twirl our scarves above our heads like daft wee bairns, and perhaps think about taking a registered sex offender or two of the unemployment list.