hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who was Hibs best Goal Keeper Ever?

I was having a discussion with a mate of mine, we thought it had to be Jim Leighton, but can any one think of any others that are worth a mention?

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    I certainly think he's best I have seen. I did see Goram a couple of times but was very young and most people who are a little older than me say he was just good at hibs before being great over the at the dark side!! IIRC Colgan was cracking for 1-2 seasons, really liked him for a while!

@hibs.net private member
    Goram is the best keeper I have seen. Far better than Leighton, IMO.

Trying to think who I've seen. McArthur, McDonald, Rough, Goram, Reid, Burridge, Leighton, Ollie, Colgan, Caig, Andersson, Brown, Zibbi, Maka, Stack, Smith, Brown. Missed out some for lack of games, probably forgotten 1 or 2.

The 3 in bold stand head and shoulders above the rest IMHO. For me Goram tops the lot.

Has to be Goram.

Was IMHO without question the best but he's not my favourite.

@hibs.net private member cocopops1875's Avatar
    I'd go for leighton at Hibs no doubt goram ended up being a better keeper some would say Europes best. But I think we got the best of big Jim saved us a huge amount of points, still felt he let himself down leaving us as I thought he owed us but guess the package on offer and the pull of going home was too much

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    My old man always said Younger was the best he'd seen but whilst it was an indian summer for him I thought that for outstanding keeping in the time he was with us, Jim Leighton. Then Alan Rough.

It was Alan Rough back in the early 80's when my Dad first took me to Easter Road. Jim Leighton was certainly the best in Hibs colours.

I would go as far as to say that Budgie was better for Hibs than Goram was.

I go for:

1. Leighton 2. Burridge 3. Goram 4. Andersson 5. Colgan

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: stevenl049 PSN ID: stevenl049
    Goram, Leighton or Andersen for me.

Defo has to be Goram.

Remember the time when he was playing against us for Rangers, some numpty ran onto the pitch from the hibs end and attacked him.

Remember Goram was on top of the guy and if he didn't hold himself back would probably have knocked 10 bells oot the guy.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by macca70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Defo has to be Goram.

Remember the time when he was playing against us for Rangers, some numpty ran onto the pitch from the hibs end and attacked him.

Remember Goram was on top of the guy and if he didn't hold himself back would probably have knocked 10 bells oot the guy.
    If paggering is a factor then the outright winner is Stack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXxChycLh3k

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Goram is the best keeper I've seen play for Hibs. Some of the saves he used to pull off were unbelievably good.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Andy Goram for me, absolutely world class goalkeeper and twice the keeper that Craig Gordon is. If he had his head screwed on then he would've been recognised as one of the best ever.

I can still see his save in Liege to this day but I believe there was another one from Crabbe at Tynecastle which was even better in a 3-1 loss where Torto scored for us.

Tommy Younger or Ronnie Simpson for me.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Was too young to appreciate Goram so best i've seen was Jim Leighton, although the pass back rule coming in certainly didn't help him, if that is the reason CC doesn't like Brown then Leighton wouldnt have lasted 2 minutes with him as gaffer

Goram was best, though I liked Szamatulski (sp?).

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Goram for me.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Goram for me.
    Leighton. Easily.

Goram IMO
    Budgie is up there to
    Last edited by cad; 19-02-2011 at 09:10 AM.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulSmith View Post
    Andy Goram for me, absolutely world class goalkeeper and twice the keeper that Craig Gordon is. If he had his head screwed on then he would've been recognised as one of the best ever.

I can still see his save in Liege to this day but I believe there was another one from Crabbe at Tynecastle which was even better in a 3-1 loss where Torto scored for us.
    i remember him making a save at tannadice[when the hibs fans were behind the other goals] utd player hit a shot,goram dived,then the shot took a deflection and how he managed to twist his body and make the save ill never no [ we won 2 1 i think] best keeper ive seen at hibs by a country mile.[ i remember going down to walsaw for a pre season freindly and hit our first boozer , as we were all standing at the bar we heard someone singing hibs songs in pool bit of the pub, as we went through to get a game ,the person singing the hibs songs was andy goram !
    no playing the day andy we asked him[we already knew the answer as he were drunker than us ] am i **** he replied im being a fan the day [ unprofesional i no but what a scream we had ] the walsaw reserve keeper played in goals for us and we still won 3 1

@hibs.net private member hibsfan7's Avatar

Cool who was the best ever hibs goalie?

i think the best hibs goalkeeper i have ever seen is andy goram i still remember the save he had in the cup at tannadice on the same day scotland won the grand slam in 1990

budgie, just for what he said to the huns in the tunnel prior to the semifinal in 91

legend !

Whilst i'd say Goram was the better keeper overall i think he was still young and learning his trade at Hibs. He really excelled and became truly world class at the huns. Thats not to say he wasn't very good for Hibs, he was.

Leighton came to us as a washed up has been who could barely get a game for a 1st division reserve side. He was outstanding for us. Was a major factor in the decent seasons we had in the early-mid 90s (3rd place finish, League Cup final etc) and in his later seasons he almost single handedly kept us up in a couple of bad seasons, was easily worth 12-15 points a seasn minimum. I don't believe it's any coincedence we were relegated the season after Jim left us, the goalkeeping delights of Gottskalkson and Gunn till give me nightmares.

Goram was the better keeper but i think Leighton was the better Hibs keeper if that makes sense.

Also Goram was one of these guys in the Nacho Novo style who despite having no obvious connection with Rangers embraced hunnery just a bit too enthusiastically, black armband for a dead UVF terrorist anyone? Fud of a man.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Goram stood out in a very poor Hibs team however was an outstanding keeper.

Leighton was also excellent for Hibs and his time at ER was a real success story considering the crap he had to endure at Dundee.

In saying that I am going to go for Zibi.

Mike McDonald or maybe Goram.

We've had some great keepers at Hibs during my lifetime. Rough, Leighton, Burridge and Goram just to mention my favourites. Daniel Andersson was also a good keeper for us during Bobby Williamson's time. For me, Goram was the best keeper I've seen (so far). But Budgie is my favourite! The Keeper from The Team That Wouldn't Die and Skol Cup Winner! Braw!

The Flying Pig. Greatest of all time IMO

First Team Breakthrough Jim_in_Canada's Avatar
    As an old timer, I think for me it is Ronnie Simpson.

The guy was amazing, especially when it came to saving penalties.

Jim

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    The two best goalkeepers i have seen playing for Hibs were Andy Goram and Andy Goram
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn