hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70

I hate rugby fans

Anyone else detest the "rugby humour". Or is it just me. The welsh are the worst too.

2. Log in to remove the advert

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Nah, but I do hate you.

You are a proper ****.

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Wait till i make up a really witty song that we can all belt out at high volume much to the annoyance of everyone else. Like having the chuckle brother clones on the train tonight.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone else detest the "rugby humour". Or is it just me. The welsh are the worst too.
    Totally, completely 100% agree.

A few years ago, while working in a bar in the city centre, we had to put up with that good-natured banter. How the female bar staff loved getting groped every time they walked past "Smile love its just a bit of fun". How we enjoyed the regular flashing of arse and dick, because, you know, it was just a real hoot. And oh the fun we had when we found the winner of "who can do the biggest jobby in a pint glass tourney".

Welsh by far the worst, English close second, Irish barely tolerable. Virtually none of their "good natured tomfoolery" would be tolerated if it was done by someone wearing a Hibs scarf or a football top.

Loathsome sport followed by a ludicrously large proportion of arrogant tools. (Not everyone, and not all the time, so no need to take it personally).

By the way, how easy it is to spot an egg-chaser. Big heads (both physically and metaphorically), round faces and for the most part in Scotland called Gavin or Gregor (emphasis for some reason on the last syallable).

Ive been to one rugby international (Wales v Scotland when it was played at Wembley). The most appalling sports event Ive been to in my life. A dull sport played by overgrown thugs who dont have the ability or brain to be able to play proper football.

Just as well I didn't have a gun last night.

Admins the lot of them
    Space to let

Quote Originally Posted by TwoCarpets View Post

A few years ago, while working in a bar in the city centre, we had to put up with that good-natured banter. How the female bar staff loved getting groped every time they walked past "Smile love its just a bit of fun". How we enjoyed the regular flashing of arse and dick, because, you know, it was just a real hoot. And oh the fun we had when we found the winner of "who can do the biggest jobby in a pint glass tourney".

Welsh by far the worst, English close second, Irish barely tolerable. Virtually none of their "good natured tomfoolery" would be tolerated if it was done by someone wearing a Hibs scarf or a football top.

Loathsome sport followed by a ludicrously large proportion of arrogant tools. (Not everyone, and not all the time, so no need to take it personally).

By the way, how easy it is to spot an egg-chaser. Big heads (both physically and metaphorically), round faces and for the most part in Scotland called Gavin or Gregor (emphasis for some reason on the last syallable).

Ive been to one rugby international (Wales v Scotland when it was played at Wembley). The most appalling sports event Ive been to in my life. A dull sport played by overgrown thugs who dont have the ability or brain to be able to play proper football.
    Hooliganism is only carried out by football fans, when its rugger its just laddish high jinks.

@hibs.net private member

Sure it wasn't the Tartan Army that were in the boozer?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RAFFERTY X
    Can't stand them, they seem so much 'better off' etc... they just do my head in, i'll watch Scotland in the 6 nations on TV thats it, i've been to one rugby game and shall never return... theres no atmosphere, no aggro, the place is just dead.

Football is and always will be the best sport in the world

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gringotodd
    Enjoy generalising much?

I know it's generalising massively but i find groups of guys who are rugby players/fans anywhere from their late teens to late 30s absolute twats.

There are plenty fine and decent rugby fans, kids with their parents, older guys etc etc but the 'rugger bugger' age group just annoy me. A lot of it is to do with their patronising attitude to football and football fans. 'Oh i just can't possibly watch football, it's just soooooo boring'.

As has been said above some of the behaviour they get away with just wouldn't be tolerated if it came from football fans. But it's just rugby chaps having a laugh, no hooligans hear what ho.

I also can't take to this 'great sportsmanship'. Applauding when the opposition score a try, WTF is that about? Commentators just about in tears because some big bad Welshmen dared to boo St Johnny Wilkinson last week. So what?He's an opposition player, get over it.

A sport i really, really dislike.

At least in Cardiff they will have the benefit of PROPER rugby fans this weekend for the start of the Super League season.

Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    At least in Cardiff they will have the benefit of PROPER rugby fans this weekend for the start of the Super League season.
    Well said that man.

The way that travelling Rugby Union 'fans' seem to have developed in the last 10 - 15 years; the Welsh, English and Irish are best avoided when in town.

We end up generalising about them because all too often they seem happy enough to fall into their stereotype.

A particularly unpleasant number seem to come up from Wales. I was in the Blue Blazer a few years ago on a Saturday night (I think Wales won the 6 nations at Murrayfield on the Sunday) and the attitude and behaviour, instantly recognisable in TwoCarpets post above, was like a cross between a bunch of Neds and the worst Stag party imaginable. And all with a lack of respect, bordering on aggression, towards anyone or anything local.

I've been picking up rugby fans for 8 years on the cabs and don't agree that they're any worse than football fans. I'd say that proportionally they are better behaved and more respectful than football fans.

Every time there is a six nations game on around 60,000 Welsh or Irish come into the one city. It's only really comparable with us when we take 20000 to Hampden for a semi or final. It's a big occasion and there are people coming out of the woodwork who are there for a good night out.
    It's tribal and they take over...as we do when we're in Glasgow. There's this "invading army" mentality that takes over...songs are sung and things happen that would only happen in such a situation.

It's uncomfortable because they come down with that mindset but they are here spending their money and if you spoke to every one of them sober they would have nothing but love for Edinburgh.

Football fans can't take the moral high ground. For every bit of Welsh or Irish high jinks I could name similar Hibs related stuff when we've been "out and about" in numbers.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    The Rugby lot the OP is alluding to are much the same as a group of football players - some are great guys wheras some are utter *****. The Haddington rugby team actually drink in the Railway on a Saturday, the majority are sound but like any group of lads, a few of them are dicks.

On a similar note, there was a load of Welsh in the pub last night - a more ignorant, rude, loud bunch of pricks I don't think i've ever encountered.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    When I used to drive a cab, I loved rugby weekends, everyone got on well with good banter. There are quite a few nob ends go to it, but on the whole it's good craic. The only time it got edgy was when Wales came up - great guys when they're winning, but they turn nasty when they get beaten.

Blog Entries

I always got the impression they had been scrubbed really clean, and then polished before they came out. What kind of man wears leather gloves?

Quote Originally Posted by peterdouglas View Post
    Football fans can't take the moral high ground..
    Thats exactly the point...its the rugby boys who constantly take the moral high ground about behaviour,sportsmanship and the rest. For those of us who have to endure hours of highjinks rugby twats in pubs as described above, the double standards can get a bit annoying.

(as it happens im meeting a few welsh pals in the pub later, they are not all the same of course)

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gringotodd
    Quote Originally Posted by .sean. View Post
    On a similar note, there was a load of Welsh in the pub last night - a more ignorant, rude, loud bunch of pricks I don't think i've ever encountered.
    I'll try not to take offence.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Todd View Post
    I'm with you on the generalising bit.

See they Hibs fans? They're always setting fire to folk, abusing black guys and refugees....

Quote Originally Posted by The_Todd View Post
    Unless you were one of the twats in the pub, then don't.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    plenty of welsh fans in bathgate(and a few in broxburn) yesterday for the biennial trip up here, behaved well enough, my engerlish brother inlaw had banter with them as well

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?

You aren't me in disguise, TC, are you?

Your experience is mine. I agree with everything you say here.

If football fans behaved the way rugby fans do, the police presence (and costs) at games would have put most clubs out of business years ago.

Having gone to a rugby-playing school (PE master's opinion of footballers - 'thugs and hooligans without a brain to share between them' - come on down, Lawrie Reilly and Gordon Smith) and having had to suffer the attentions of the heroes of the First Fifteen (they could have taught the SS and Ku Klux Klan a thing or two), I've never had any time for the good-natured tomfoolery' of the rugger-buggers. If they confined their nonsense to their own clubs, fair enough - what goes on between consenting morons is their own business - but international nights in the centre of Edinburgh, especially when the Welsh or English were in town? Anyone who has to deal with these people has my deepest sympathy.

BTW - you forgot Gavin and Gregor's mates Cameron, Fraser, Menzies, and Campbell. Why DO so many of them have surnames for first names?

And why do so many of the present Anglo-Scottish-Antipodean-Rejects XV have English/Australian/new Zealand accents if they're all supposed to be playing their hearts out for Scotland?

Left by mutual consent!
    Some rugby ***** came into the southern bar last night and were wrapping each other up in giant hand towel rolls of paper until one of the Dicks set fire to one of them.

The whole place had to get emptied and we were all stinking of smoke. We were out for my mates send off, he's going to the tin pale, and he lost it and was on the verge of knocking them out but decided it wasn't in his best interest three days before court.

In hindsight it was funny watching the guy struggle to get stripped when on fire and the roll of paper burning like a bonfire in the middle of the pub.

I'll get slated for thinking it was funny him being on fire but they were Dicks!

johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    Why do Rugby fans have a tendency to get their dicks and ***** out to show each other? I was on a stag do a few years back an Easycruise boat, was a group of rugby fans on board who seemed to spend all their time in the tiny little jacuzzi pool stripping off and putting straws up each others *****.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    Why do Rugby fans have a tendency to get their dicks and ***** out to show each other? I was on a stag do a few years back an Easycruise boat, was a group of rugby fans on board who seemed to spend all their time in the tiny little jacuzzi pool stripping off and putting straws up each others *****.
    Probably something to do with the whole homo-erotic vibe surrounding rugby.

The Welsh rugger ***** were out in Haddington last night. Oh dear.

They were loud and crude to begin with. They seemed to really enjoy pulling off their manky tops and filling the pub with the scent of BO. Then there was the groping of the female barstaff and the downright vulgar remarks. The unmistakeable drone of Tom Jones on the jukebox is not a suitable soundtrack for a Saturday night either.

They were ignorant, too. They appeared to have a problem with folk politely asking them to let them through to the bar, so people were pushing their way through and they objected to this - A couple scuffles ensued and that was that. Needless scuffles, as they would have been avoided had they not been standing around the bar and being arsey when folk tried to get past.

Then there was the 'mooning' down the street - seriously, you're fat, bald and I don't want to see your backside. What's that about? One of them also spilled pretty much a full pint down my mate, and made no apologies. Fair to say, I wish they'd stayed in the valleys this weekend.

Are all Welsh rugby followers fannies?
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    The Welsh rugger ***** were out in Haddington last night. Oh dear.

They were loud and crude to begin with. They seemed to really enjoy pulling off their manky tops and filling the pub with the scent of BO. Then there was the groping of the female barstaff and the downright vulgar remarks. The unmistakeable drone of Tom Jones on the jukebox is not a suitable soundtrack for a Saturday night either.

They were ignorant, too. They appeared to have a problem with folk politely asking them to let them through to the bar, so people were pushing their way through and they objected to this - A couple scuffles ensued and that was that. Needless scuffles, as they would have been avoided had they not been standing around the bar and being arsey when folk tried to get past.

Then there was the 'mooning' down the street - seriously, you're fat, bald and I don't want to see your backside. What's that about? One of them also spilled pretty much a full pint down my mate, and made no apologies. Fair to say, I wish they'd stayed in the valleys this weekend.

What do you think?

Sure if Hibs played down in Wales there would be people saying the exact same about us.
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

It does seem to be the Welsh more so than the other fans for me aswell, they just annoy the hell out of me, can always tell when they're around, the town definately had a feel to it last night in the time I was there.

Blog Entries
    I remember once having to remonstrate with a cab full of taffs for making lewd catcalls to 12 year old girls. There seems to be a certain lack of self respect about them that tends to result in behaviour that is just wrong.

I've seen them help themselves to drinks behind a bar. But the thing that really gets me is the arrogant way they talk about sport, and the fact that they can't handle defeat like men.

In general, I don't like the Welsh. Trouble with a capital T.

Blog Entries
    Yes (or at least a statistically significant majority).

Women who appear to have no specific discernible shape and for whom the phrase "plain" appears to have been invented. Seriously, squeezing into a red top literally splatttered with Brains is not a good look if you have the figure (and in some cases luxuriant facial hair) of a sasquatch.

The men appear to fall entirely into one of three groups. Huge buffoon-like oafs, dull-witted yet threateningly malignant, Over muscled, arrogant prigs with a supremacy complex, and little wiry, shifty-looking ratlike creatures, often without a discernible chin for some reason.

But to take Wembley67's point, youre right, look at how Bolton reacted in 2009. To attack rugbyists is not to defend the less savoury element of our (or any other football teams) support. It is to have a pop at the double standards displayed on the basis of which particular sport you like.