hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McCarthy

McCarthy

Says he might switch his country again sorry if posted already. But how is this different to Fletcher he said no to Scotland?

Story here no direct quotes however http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9393158.stm

2. Log in to remove the advert

Jim Traynor on Radio Scotland tonught said that He WONT be vhanging his mind and still wants to play for Ireland .
    take out of that what you like though personally I wouldent want to take him as there is so many in the Scotland team ahead of him in the Pecking order .
    but will say he scored a very clever goal last week for Wigan showing a lot of skill

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Dave1875
    disgrace its even being talked about imo he chose ireland let him have ireland, potter has managed to ailenate fletch for whatever reason and turn it round that its his own fault whilst begging mcgregor ferguson boyd and mcculloch to coming back in (all except the crab) singling out deek for harsh words on his behaviour off feild whilst capping goodwillie and mcgregor and begging andy carrol to switch to scotland for months he has obviously no shame and the biggest brass neck known to man......he is a fool

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: MrHibs
    As much as his original decision angered and disappointed me I'm praying he'll switch back.

Has the potential to be our best midfielder. The lad is only 20 and starting to stamp his mark over the premiership and was recently linked with Chelsea

I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole to be honest, he chose Ireland to appease his celtic loving family and mates but the move to darkhied didn't happen, another McGeady situation where silly tic mentality ruled instead of common sense and the obvious.

I actually sympathise with the lad. He's copped a lot of flak for this already and probably the last thing he wants is to get it coming his way all over again. Totally up to him which International team he feels an affinity for most.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty_Jack04 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    disgrace its even being talked about imo he chose ireland let him have ireland, potter has managed to ailenate fletch for whatever reason and turn it round that its his own fault whilst begging mcgregor ferguson boyd and mcculloch to coming back in (all except the crab) singling out deek for harsh words on his behaviour off feild whilst capping goodwillie and mcgregor and begging andy carrol to switch to scotland for months he has obviously no shame and the biggest brass neck known to man......he is a fool
    He also constantly talks about how well Danny Wilson is doing at Liverpool. Yeah right, 2 games, no victories & a home defeat by Northampton the highlight of his Merseyside career to date. HP's no fool however, he's adopted the Craig Brown management style, just make things up, our journos are either too lazy, too craven or too stupid to check the facts.

First Team Breakthrough Harpandcastle's Avatar
    I think Scotland should welcome him if he wishes that to happen. He made his decision as a very young guy and if with hindsight he feels he has made the wrong one and it can be rectified then why not? I think the the fact he would be choosing to represent his country of birth rather than one he is linked to through a single grandparent should be encouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    I actually sympathise with the lad. He's copped a lot of flak for this already and probably the last thing he wants is to get it coming his way all over again. Totally up to him which International team he feels an affinity for most.
    agree completely. He feels irish, he plays for ireland. His decision.

Is this not more of a case of Ireland came calling first?
    Without knowing any of the ins and outs of McCarthy's family history I'd assumed the reason he'd chosen to play for Ireland and not Scotland is because they asked him and we never.

I think he's a great prospect and it perhaps wouldn't be too bad an idea to attempt to call him up for the next game and actually give him a decision to make.

If he chooses Scotland then give him 5 minutes at the end to make sure he can't change his mind again

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    agree completely. He feels irish, he plays for ireland. His decision.
    Feels Irish my erse. He took the hump because Scotland didn't pick him at youth level.

In the Irish newspapers yesterday Trapatoni was quoted to have said that he was unsure of which international team McCarthy would choose, and he plans to name him in the Eire squad for next month's qualifier,and wether he accepts that or not was up to him.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I don't think he'll change his mind but I'd be happy if he did. I was annoyed he'd decided to play for Ireland but he was a young lad and we all make poor decisions when we're young.

He's Scottish and I'd much rather him in the squad than the English players we have playing for us already.

McCarthy is a quality player. Looks so comfortable playing in the EPL, and at his age that's impressive. He could easily end up at a big EPL team.
    Last edited by easty; 11-02-2011 at 08:40 AM.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I don't think he'll change his mind but I'd be happy if he did. I was annoyed he'd decided to play for Ireland but he was a young lad and we all make poor decisions when we're young.

He's Scottish and I'd much rather him in the squad than the English players we have playing for us already.

McCarthy is a quality player. Looks so comfortable playing in the EPL, and at his age that's impressive. He could easily end up at a big EPL team.
    I have been impressed with him whenever i have seen him on match of the day. We cant have enough quality Scottish players imo.

@hibs.net private member Manxhibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: purehibee
    Dont quote me on this but I heard the reason McCarthy chose ireland was because his grandad requested it on his death bed.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I heard from Manxhibs that he only decided to play for Ireland cos his grandad requested it from his deathbed.

It's possible that now he's away from home he's realised that he is in fact Scottish. I'd be prepared to accept him back.

If we can accept a childish hun sticking 2 fingers up the nation live on TV, then what's the problem with a (then) young kid making what he may now think is a wrong choice?

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengeich View Post
    It's possible that now he's away from home he's realised that he is in fact Scottish. I'd be prepared to accept him back.
    Nationality, for me, is always an emotional issue. It doesn't matter what your passport says; it's how you feel that matters. If JM has, like you say (and like a lot of ex-pats), realised just how "Scottish" he is, then fair play to him if he puts his hand up now.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Feels Irish my erse. He took the hump because Scotland didn't pick him at youth level.
    do you know him personally?

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    I always thought he picked them as they were actually not too bad at that time and we were ******, it's a wee bit more even now with us actually having the potential to be better than them, I think he is hedging his bets and playing a clever game.

Great wee player and would be a bonus to us, but you shouldnt be able to change nationality at the drop of a hat so **** him

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Cut him some slack, he was a kid, no doubt influenced by the family. Both my boys were born in the South, with an Irish mother, but if ever they were good enough, I'd do what I could to get them to pick the land of my birth & to be fair, that is where their loyalties are at the moment.

Should that ever change, even although they have only been up a few times, all I can do is disown them

Cruelty to children or what? I've already given them Hibs to get depressed about

@hibs.net private member Manxhibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: purehibee

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I heard from Manxhibs that he only decided to play for Ireland cos his grandad requested it from his deathbed.
    I asked for that

Quote Originally Posted by Hibstrooper View Post
    As much as his original decision angered and disappointed me I'm praying he'll switch back.

Has the potential to be our best midfielder. The lad is only 20 and starting to stamp his mark over the premiership and was recently linked with Chelsea

He's probably got away from his weegy Celtic pals and realised he's actually Scottish. Would love him to play for Scotland.

To those who complain about people who are either born outside Scotland or qualify through Scottish Grannies.
    France 98 world cup winning team
    Fabien Barthez
    Lilian Thuram born in Guadeloupe
    Marcel Desailly born in Ghana
    Frank Leboeuf
    Bixente Lizarazu (French Basque)
    Didier Deschamps
    Emmanuel Petit
    Christian Karembeu born in New Caledonia
    Zinedine Zidane parents are Algerian
    Youri Djorkaeff parents are Polish and Armenian
    Stephane Guivarc'h
    Used Subs
    Patrick Vieira born Senegal
    Alain Boghossian
    Christophe Dugarry

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Manxhibs View Post
    Dont quote me on this but I heard the reason McCarthy chose ireland was because his grandad requested it on his death bed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manxhibs View Post
    I asked for that

That story went the rounds about McGeady as well, didn't it? Maybe the FA of Ireland have a hit-squad targetting promising footballers' grandads...

Why don't FIFA just change the rules AGAIN and let the FAs offer contracts and transfer deals for players in internationals? We're half-way there already.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Dave1875
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    He also constantly talks about how well Danny Wilson is doing at Liverpool. Yeah right, 2 games, no victories & a home defeat by Northampton the highlight of his Merseyside career to date. HP's no fool however, he's adopted the Craig Brown management style, just make things up, our journos are either too lazy, too craven or too stupid to check the facts.
    also reminds me of uncle walter the way he manages to escape a tanning in the papers, lets not forget his mastermind tactics of 4-6-0 how he was never slaughtered for that is unreal, he is phenomanal at picking players who are'nt getting games even though he was quoted as saying quite the opposite when he first took charge. Fool

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty_Jack04 View Post
    You're showing a disgraceful anti-Hearts bias there. Full-blown rant about Potter and nowhere even a mention of Driver.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    You're showing a disgraceful anti-Hearts bias there. Full-blown rant about Potter and nowhere even a mention of Driver.

HARREEPOTTERZTARTANBARMEEARMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@hibs.net private member
    Cant believe the anti-Irish undertones on a HIBERNIAN FC fans website. Some people seem to take their dislike of Celtic to extremes when this has nothing to do with them.

I am a Hibs fan born and raised in Edinburgh but as luck has it my Dad is 100% Irish while my mum is an Edinburgh-born Scot. Anyone who has seen me playing football will understand the improbability of this happening but try to imagine a situation where at 15-16 I am a generally accepted as an outstanding young footballer at my Scottish club side (hopefully Hibs). I have been a star player at schools and boys club level and my rapid advance through the youth team, reserves and into the first team at my club side is just a formality provided I stick at it and let my talent do the rest - I'm that good.

Like most aspiring footballers, I have a strong desire to play international football. I naturally feel attached to Scotland the country of my birth, where 75% of my family live and where all my friends are. I speak with an ostensibly Scottish accent (Edinburgh "jakey" patois if we're being specific) but I have ginger hair and an obvious Irish name - the sort of name Rangers would never sign if you get my drift. I also feel a strong bond, not for sectarian reasons (I'm not religious or political at all) with the Republic of Ireland, the country where my Dad was born and about 25% of my known family still live. I visit there for 3 weeks at a time as a youngster say every year or two between the ages of 4 and 15. I've spent more time in Ireland than Glasgow and naturally I a feel a strong affinity for the place.

So International football - the FAI who obviously have a tiptop scouting network to source any promising players with an Irish connection come calling and ask me to play for them at under-16 level. Knowing my Irish family will be thrilled I am obviously interested but politely tell them I would like to see if I get any similar offers from the SFA before coming to a decision. Surely the Scotland set-up will make me an offer bearing in mind I am THE most highly thought of young player in the country and I am on their doorstep as it were? I wait.........and wait........and wait........and wait........and wait...and basically in the end have to go with the FAI as the SFA clearly aren't interested..

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by greenlad View Post
    Cant believe the anti-Irish undertones on a HIBERNIAN FC fans website. Some people seem to take their dislike of Celtic to extremes when this has nothing to do with them.

I am a Hibs fan born and raised in Edinburgh but as luck has it my Dad is 100% Irish while my mum is an Edinburgh-born Scot. Anyone who has seen me playing football will understand the improbability of this happening but try to imagine a situation where at 15-16 I am a generally accepted as an outstanding young footballer at my Scottish club side (hopefully Hibs). I have been a star player at schools and boys club level and my rapid advance through the youth team, reserves and into the first team at my club side is just a formality provided I stick at it and let my talent do the rest - I'm that good.

Like most aspiring footballers, I have a strong desire to play international football. I naturally feel attached to Scotland the country of my birth, where 75% of my family live and where all my friends are. I speak with an ostensibly Scottish accent (Edinburgh "jakey" patois if we're being specific) but I have ginger hair and an obvious Irish name - the sort of name Rangers would never sign if you get my drift. I also feel a strong bond, not for sectarian reasons (I'm not religious or political at all) with the Republic of Ireland, the country where my Dad was born and about 25% of my known family still live. I visit there for 3 weeks at a time as a youngster say every year or two between the ages of 4 and 15. I've spent more time in Ireland than Glasgow and naturally I a feel a strong affinity for the place.

So International football - the FAI who obviously have a tiptop scouting network to source any promising players with an Irish connection come calling and ask me to play for them at under-16 level. Knowing my Irish family will be thrilled I am obviously interested but politely tell them I would like to see if I get any similar offers from the SFA before coming to a decision. Surely the Scotland set-up will make me an offer bearing in mind I am THE most highly thought of young player in the country and I am on their doorstep as it were? I wait.........and wait........and wait........and wait........and wait...and basically in the end have to go with the FAI as the SFA clearly aren't interested..

Fine, no problem with THAT.

So you play at U-16 level, then at U-21 level, and then you pull the green jersey over your head at a first-team friendly international in Dublin.

At that point, IMHO, you are now a fully-fledged RoI international footballer and good luck to you. You've played for the country of your father's birth and your choice. I have no problem with you.

But if the RoI then don't pick you for a year or so, and it looks as though they may have lost interest, I don't see why you should be allowed to come touting yourself at Scotland once again. One minute it's "I promised my grandad on his death-bed I'd play for the Ould Country", the next it's, "O flower of Scotland, when will we see ..." THAT's what irritates me. The next thing will be a rule regarding residential qualification like there is in Rugby Union. It stinks.

Trappatoni's absolutely right to say that he's picking him for the next squad, and it's up to McCarthy to make his mind up.

(TBF to McCarthy, the death-bed gut-churner wasn't McCarthy, it was that emetic wee weasel McGeady put that one around.)

BTW - when you say, red-haired with a name Rangers would never sign - do you mean like Chris Burke?
    Last edited by --------; 11-02-2011 at 09:23 PM.