hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar

Adam Rooney on a Pre-Contract?

About a half an hour after the Celtic game in January I got a text from a mate to say he had just been on Hibs official website and there was a headline about us having signed Adam Rooney on a pre-contract. Minutes later the headline had apparently disappeared.

Thought it was a load of cr@p at the time and not thought much more about it since then but is there a chance that AR has signed for us on a pre-contract and it is being kept quiet for obvious reasons?

Here's the most recent artcle I can find on the 'net:

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/2120846

Hibs are mentioned and the comment about us not having made a bid could well mean that no bid was made to make him a Hibs player in January.

Maybe I'm hopeposting but fingers crossed
    Last edited by HNA8; 05-02-2011 at 07:45 AM. Reason: +greggs

2. Log in to remove the advert

would like to see him ply his trade at ER, just cant see it happening TBH, shame

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    He'll go to the Championship or perhaps abroad if the guy has any ambition.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by The Story So Far... View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He'll go to the Championship or perhaps abroad if the guy has any ambition.
    So players coming to Hibs lack ambition what a strange statement to make.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by H18sry View Post
    Aye. He's at a club higher up the league, challanging for European football, and we are in a relegation battle.

The only reason he would sign for us right now would be a comparitively minor (when compared with what the championship could offer) increase in wage.

So aye, it would indicate a lack of ambition, especially with his options.

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    Aye. He's at a club higher up the league, challanging for European football, and we are in a relegation battle.

The only reason he would sign for us right now would be a comparitively minor (when compared with what the championship could offer) increase in wage.

We're a bigger club than ICT with more potential and resources and are likely to perform better than ICT over a longer period than to the end of the season. There may be better options for him than Hibs but coming to Hibs wouldn't show lack of ambition.

Gamer IDs

In my eyes, any player moving from one SPL club to another, particularly one with potential, does lack ambition.

I can't see any reason for him to sign a pre-contract unless it would be to force ICT into negotiating a fee with hibs for an early release.

If it had got to the pre-contract stage I don't imagine ICT would have been that difficult to do a deal with.

I expect Rooney will be doing the smart thing and weighing up the offers for his services come the summer.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar

pehaps he thinks hibs are in a false position in the league and by next season with cc own signings and the deadwood cleared out he will be joining a club challenging at the top of the league and maybe winning a cup .
    so id say he had plenty of ambition if he does sign for us as were a massive club with a great tradition and history . maybe you should do a bit research about our great club before you start righting us of .
    ggtth

In my eyes, any player moving from one SPL club to another, particularly one with potential, does lack ambition.
    If that's the case what does Palsson,Riordan,Stokes and the likes who have joined Hibs to further there careers rather than just going through the motions which is how your "lacks ambition statement" comes across.
    And do you really think in the long run ICT have more potential than Hibs
    Last edited by H18sry; 05-02-2011 at 08:47 AM.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Or opportunity.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Altough ICT are having a decent season, I think it is abit of a reach to say that they are an established SPL side. Not that they are a yo-yo team by any means but there is a level between them and the OF and us and that is where we fit in. The fact that many of our players just now are not up to scratch, will hugely annoying, doesn't make it not true.

If that's the case what does Polsson,Riordan,Stokes and the likes who have joined Hibs to further there careers rather than just going through the motions which is how your "lacks ambition statement" comes across.
    How much potential do you think there is in the small pond that is the SPL?
    You can either chase the money and go to one of the OF, or head down south to try and prove yourself on a much greater stage.

We're on the same stage as ICT, and our aspiration is limited to a UEFA cup run and a cup every now and then. Both more likely to be achieved if you can find a bit of success in England or abroad.

If that's the case what does Polsson,Riordan,Stokes and the likes who have joined Hibs to further there careers rather than just going through the motions which is how your "lacks ambition statement" comes across.
    The likes of Polsson and Stokes are/were at Hibs to catch the eye of bigger clubs.

Although yeah, Derek Riordan is an example of a player who lacks the ambition to go further in the game. And to say otherwise that is either naivety, or down right denial.

Gamer IDs

Where did I say that? His contract is up at the end of this season and sticking around at a high flying ICT will get him more noticed than scrapping out at the bottom of the league. Plus, if he does decide to stick around after this season at Caley, there's a good chance he'll get European Football - he'll need to weigh up whether that's worth signing such a long contract renewal though.

Players like Stokes come in and use clubs like us or Hearts as either a stepping stone into the OF or back down to England. Young players like Poulsson will undoubtedly use Hibs as a stepping stone to gain match experience.

The SPL is a pretty good league for acting as a "stepping stone", but let's not kid ourselves that it can compete with many other leagues in Europe, including the lure of the Championship, where the money is better and the chance of Premiership beckons some day.

And beside, my initial point was, that if the guy has offers outwith the SPL, I wouldn't understand the motivation in taking a side-step to another SPL club.

Now take your golf clubs, piss off out the house and quite goading me

How much potential do you think there is in the small pond that is the SPL?
    You can either chase the money and go to one of the OF, or head down south to try and prove yourself on a much greater stage.

We're on the same stage as ICT, and our aspiration is limited to a UEFA cup run and a cup every now and then. Both more likely to be achieved if you can find a bit of success in England or abroad.
    How many players leave the likes of ICT and have won anything in England or abroad, none spring to mind, ICT's ambition is avoiding relegation,Hibs ambition is top 4 UEFA cup and success in cup competitions, so who are the more ambitious club? This season has been a massive blip for us but come next season we will be back fighting for a top 4 place and ICT will be hoping to avoid the drop.

The likes of Polsson and Stokes are/were at Hibs to catch the eye of bigger clubs.

Although yeah, Derek Riordan is an example of a player who lacks the ambition to go further in the game. And to say otherwise that is either naivety, or down right denial.
    So Riordan leaves Hibs to go to the league champions and that lack ambition Ok it never worked out for him for one of many reasons no doubt, So he has came back to rebuild his career he has 5 months left before he has to decide if he is ambitious or not

So Riordan leaves Hibs to go to the league champions and that lack ambition Ok it never worked out for him for one of many reasons no doubt, So he has came back to rebuild his career he has 5 months left before he has to decide if he is ambitious or not

Could it not be that he has other priorities that he considers more important than moving away from Edinburgh?

Pat Stanton is the best player Hibs player I ever saw & he choose to spend the best part his career at the club, he had ambitions, but they involved Hibs.
    Last edited by Ray_; 05-02-2011 at 08:32 AM.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Can we just get one thing straight here? It's Pallson!!!!! Not Pollson Not Poulson but Pallson. Likethe son of your Pal. Thank you.

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Where did I say that? His contract is up at the end of this season and sticking around at a high flying ICT will get him more noticed than scrapping out at the bottom of the league. Plus, if he does decide to stick around after this season at Caley, there's a good chance he'll get European Football - he'll need to weigh up whether that's worth signing such a long contract renewal though.

Players like Stokes come in and use clubs like us or Hearts as either a stepping stone into the OF or back down to England. Young players like Poulsson will undoubtedly use Hibs as a stepping stone to gain match experience.

The SPL is a pretty good league for acting as a "stepping stone", but let's not kid ourselves that it can compete with many other leagues in Europe, including the lure of the Championship, where the money is better and the chance of Premiership beckons some day.

And beside, my initial point was, that if the guy has offers outwith the SPL, I wouldn't understand the motivation in taking a side-step to another SPL club.

Now take your golf clubs, piss off out the house and quite goading me
    Who haven't won in 10 league games (their last win was against Hibs on 20 November). They're still 5th in the league as a result of their good start, but are only one point ahead of 8th placed Motherwell. All the teams immediately below them have games in hand.

I don't think "high-flying" would be the adjective used here if Hibs were having that kind of season.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Can we just get one thing straight here? It's Pallson!!!!! Not Pollson Not Poulson but Pallson. Likethe son of your Pal. Thank you.
    Erm .... no....

It's Palsson!! One 'l' and two 's's.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20...262950_2279290

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post

Actually it's Palsson.

Re Rooney, the story I heard was Butcher wanted him till the end of the season as he thinks he has a chance of sneaking into the European places, that's why he didn't want to sign him.
    Last edited by J-C; 05-02-2011 at 08:46 AM.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post
    Who haven't won in 10 league games (their last win was against Hibs on 20 November). They're still 5th in the league as a result of their good start, but are only one point ahead of 8th placed Motherwell. All the teams immediately below them have games in hand.

I don't think "high-flying" would be the adjective used here if Hibs were having that kind of season.

Perhaps it's just relative to us, but it certainly feels like they're high flying

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    That's what I meant to bloody type!!!!! Yer Pals son
    FFS it's gonna be one if those days.:(

Riordan had other offers on the table. He decided to stay in the goldfish bowl.

He failed and now he's back at Hibs because he knows he'll never have to really raise his game here. When he was leaving Celtic he had the oppertunity to prove himself at a higher level than Hibs, but would rather go with what was easy and safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray-in-ireland View Post
    Could it not be that he has other priorities that he considers more important than moving away from Edinburgh?

Pat Stanton is the best player Hibs player I ever saw & he choose to spend the best part his career at the club, he had ambitions, but they involved Hibs.
    As did Lawrie Reilly and in those days Hibs in particular, and Scottish Football in general, were vehicles with which they could realise their ambitions and achieve personal wealth comparable with elsewhere, to a degree at least. In the time of Tunrbull and Tom Hart Hibs paid very close to the highest wages in Scotland which compared reasonably well with other countries.

But the world is a very different place now and when you see Chelseas published accounts its gone mad. In todays market we would be lucky to hold on to Stanton for six months. Riordan has moved and didnt like it so I hope he stays. Alternatively I do believe, comparing his abilities to those of his peers, he is worth more than a lot of his fellow pro's employed elsewhere.
    Last edited by The Falcon; 05-02-2011 at 09:06 AM.

Red face

Riordan had other offers on the table. He decided to stay in the goldfish bowl.

He failed and now he's back at Hibs because he knows he'll never have to really raise his game here. When he was leaving Celtic he had the oppertunity to prove himself at a higher level than Hibs, but would rather go with what was easy and safe.
    What have you done in your life so that it makes you you feel that you can judge that DR failed at Celtic? I thought it was more to do with a clash with the manager than the lack of ability!! From what I saw, quite a number of the Tic support weren't too happy with the decision to let Riordan go.

Quote Originally Posted by The Falcon View Post
    As did Lawrie Reilly and in those days Hibs in particular, and Scottish Football in general, were vehicles with which they could realise their ambitions and achieve personal wealth comparable with elsewhere, to a degree at least. In the time of Tunrbull and Tom Hart Hibs paid very close to the highest wages in Scotland which compared reasonably well with other countries.

But the world is a very different place now and when you see Chelseas published accounts its gone mad. In todays market we would be lucky to hold on to Stanton for six months.
    For George Best, fair enough, but certainly not the rest of the squad. Stanton would have earned far more from his career if he had moved on from Hibs at a younger age.

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by JC50 View Post
    Actually it's Palsson.
    curse of the iphone again

Palsson is a hard one to spell like de graff

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: The Reaper
    Some interesting posts. Hope it's true, can't see it though.