hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: 6 nations

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

6 nations

Whats everyones thoughts on the six nations this year, thinking of having a few wee flutters but no really got a clue who to back, from my limited knowledge this is my impressions of the teams but TBH i'm probably way out.......

Scotland- good run recently but can't help but think our luck will run out recently plus away to England and France this year so can't see us making much of an impact

England- My favourites (would never back them though) looks like they could be on there way back to form and can see them being the team to beat.

France- Probably the best team but think they've been on a poor run recently so may be vulnrable.

Wales/Ireland- linked the two of them together as my impression of the both of them is that while they've got good players, neither of them are the forces they were a few years ago, guessing they could be ageing sides but just guessing at that

Italy- Know absolutely nothing about them but from previous years guessing they'll have good forwards and be tough to beat at home but most teams would fancy beating them when they leave italy.

Thoughts myuch appreciated as could really do with winning some cash

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RAFFERTY X
    I'm really not a Rugby fan i only usually watch Scotland games and i went to my first Rugby game a few years ago at Murrayfield against South Africa, i'll not be returning, i just hated the whole experience, it's not my thing.

Although i don't mind watching Scotland on the TV but i'm going to try and watch the game tonight and see if i can stay interested, i think a main reason why i lose interest is cause theres so many rules to it and i hardly know any of them.

So anyway sorry i couldn't help with your bet but if i had to pick i'd say England or France, with Ireland an outside bet.

Coaching Staff
    Its an impenetrable game. I don't get it. The other thing is that I just dont like the rugby crowd. Begloved hands clapping various things that I cannot understand. Morningside accents cheering on Scotland. And to be honest, rugby blokes tend to be twats.

- my 4000th post and it's a moan about the egg chasers. Get in!!

Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its an impenetrable game. I don't get it. The other thing is that I just dont like the rugby crowd. Begloved hands clapping various things that I cannot understand. Morningside accents cheering on Scotland. And to be honest, rugby blokes tend to be twats.

- my 4000th post and it's a moan about the egg chasers. Get in!!
    ooft, you'll get dogs abuse for that

I was brought up playing rugby when i was young and my family are all rugby people so i think i understand most of the rules but TBH i'm probably closer to your way of thinking, i've certainly not got any intention of watching a club game any point soon, i do enjoy the 6 nations though, think it's a terrific event and i look forward to it every year.

Normally a great atmosphere in pubs when a games going on if it's a tight game, just don't stay too long to watch the drunk rugby twats tie there school ties (wtf is that all about ) round there heads and dance on tables.

Although in fairness, footballs got more than its fair share of twats that are fans as well, you only need to read these boards to know that

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    ooft, you'll get dogs abuse for that

I was brought up playing rugby when i was young and my family are all rugby people so i think i understand most of the rules but TBH i'm probably closer to your way of thinking, i've certainly not got any intention of watching a club game any point soon, i do enjoy the 6 nations though, think it's a terrific event and i look forward to it every year.

Normally a great atmosphere in pubs when a games going on if it's a tight game, just don't stay too long to watch the drunk rugby twats tie there school ties (wtf is that all about ) round there heads and dance on tables.

Although in fairness, footballs got more than its fair share of twats that are fans as well, you only need to read these boards to know that
    Very true. Lots of armchair managers. Me included. Here on dotnet.

But yes, the faint whiff of the old school tie is what puts me off. In Wales and Ireland, it's not the same kind of sport but there is something about Scottish rugby in particular.

I expect pelters!!

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    France will win the 6 nations and Wales will beat England tonight.

One thing thats always puzzled me...why have the Germans never taken to rugby?

Massive population fond of sport, but despite the Italians and Spanish giving it a bash you never hear about the Germans playing it

Try for the English.

Successful conversion so it's 7-0 for England after 15 minutes.

Whats everyones thoughts on the six nations this year
    It's about as watchable as submarine racing. I've told you before - it's for farmers, public schoolboys and people who are too fat to play with a round ball.

Stick to the fitba you

Quote Originally Posted by Barney McGrew View Post
    It's about as watchable as submarine racing. I've told you before - it's for farmers, public schoolboys and people who are too fat to play with a round ball.

Stick to the fitba you

Whats wrong mate, did you no get picked for the school team?

Whats wrong mate, did you no get picked for the school team?

Nae rugby nonsense played at my school. Fitba or nae baw

Where you watching the match this afternoon?

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    I sometimes wonder that if the ball was replaced by a haggis then would it really make that much difference?

The scrums play far too big a part in the game and there seems to be numerous technical rules relating to rucking and mauling techniques. It all seems very complicated - even to those who are devoted fans of the oval ball game.

I watched last night's match but could not agree with the pundits opinions that it was a fantastic game. It was often boring and failed to spark the crowd and the crowd's reaction is as good an indicator as any.

The six nations championship is now suffering from the same fate as football -------- little thought is paid to the fans and the kick off times are arranged purely for the benefit of the TV coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post

Massive population fond of sport, but despite the Italians and Spanish giving it a bash you never hear about the Germans playing it
    Always asked about that as well, as a game it seems perfect for the german mentality, think i was told that when the english started moving all over the world telling people of the game there wasn't many people moving to Germany, that could be pish, think thats what someone said to me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    I sometimes wonder that if the ball was replaced by a haggis then would it really make that much difference?

The scrums play far too big a part in the game and there seems to be numerous technical rules relating to rucking and mauling techniques. It all seems very complicated - even to those who are devoted fans of the oval ball game.

I watched last night's match but could not agree with the pundits opinions that it was a fantastic game. It was often boring and failed to spark the crowd and the crowd's reaction is as good an indicator as any.

The six nations championship is now suffering from the same fate as football -------- little thought is paid to the fans and the kick off times are arranged purely for the benefit of the TV coverage.
    My brother played a few games professional as a prop and he's adament that scrums are just a complete waste of time now, the players are just too powerful and if you watch the games today you'll see almost every scrum ends up in a penalty or free kick and most of the time it's to the wrong team as even the ref doesn't know the pressure thats being put on the props and what there penalising them for. I think it may end up going the same way as rugby league and uncontested scrums.

Completely agree about TV coverage ruining it, the whole atmosphere was added to with the fans coming starting to arrive about thursday then staying for the whole weekend, now with games on friday night and sunday afternoons people are just getting in and out the city.

Another factor which could affect the crowds is the club game, in the past fans would only travel to each country for these games but with the heineken cup and celtic leagues travelling between countries happens numerous times for fans every season.

Still think it's a great event though, it's just something i think they should be wary of

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Down 7-0 within 3 minutes. ****ing Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Purehibee View Post
    Down 7-0 within 3 minutes. ****ing Scotland.
    What do you expect with players called 'Nikki' and 'Kelly' on the team? An utter disgrace.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post

I've been here 30 years don't know anyone interested in the sport. Wiki's got some interesting facts on it though - might be of interest.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_union_in_Germany

Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    I've been here 30 years don't know anyone interested in the sport. Wiki's got some interesting facts on it though - might be of interest.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_union_in_Germany
    Thanks for that. Clearly its been a sport there for ages but just never got out of the amateur culture. Which is probably a good thing.

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar
    Brave effort by Scotland at the Stade de Francais . The fact we scored three tries is promising. France were clinical when we they needed to be and had we not gifted them tries it could have been our game. Trust and like Robinson as a manager and with the players we have I think we have the potential to do alright this tournament. Hopefully anyway!