hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any thoughts on our who might be our next captian?

Any thoughts on our who might be our next captian?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Aubenas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have a wee feeling he might go for Thornhill or even Palsson. I quite like the idea teams used to use - a Club Captain (good pro, committed to club, respected by players) who is the symbol of the club, but may not play every week;(Obviously Nid) and a team captain who will be a first pick and lead by example on the pitch. That arrangement may have helped Hoggy in the past year.
    Philly McGuinness, Leitrim GAA, died playing in a club match for Mohill. He epitomised all that is best about sport, making a 6 hour round trip to training three times a week from his workplace in Mayo, and was never late. His motto was 'Give it all, or give nothing'. One for all sportsmen to consider.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    If Martin Scott can give us his first half showing over ninety minutes week in week out he would need to be a candidate.

First Team Regular holyrood hibbie's Avatar
    Ian Murray since he is the most senior there and have Matin Scott as his vice captain.

Left by mutual consent!
    Paul Hanlon

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    Scott seemed quite vocal and was shouting at players all the time so possibly him. Was also willing to get stuck in so could hopefully lead by example. If Hanlon was a little bit older I would have gone with him, but think he needs to concentrate on developing as a CB without the pressure of being captain as well.

Quote Originally Posted by too_many_djs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Scott seemed quite vocal and was shouting at players all the time so possibly him. Was also willing to get stuck in so could hopefully lead by example. If Hanlon was a little bit older I would have gone with him, but think he needs to concentrate on developing as a CB without the pressure of being captain as well.
    I 've heard he can get a bit too heated sometimes...and used to get sent off a bit...but if he proves himself in the next few games, I don't see why he shouldn't be captain

First Team Breakthrough Ernie Cobra's Avatar
    Ian Mureray is not going to play every week, which means its going to be a younger lad anyway, unless you give it to Liam Miller, who in my opinion is not the way forward. badd attitude and hides too often, on the other hand it might make him step up his game and be involved for a full 90 mins.

My opinion - Hanlon, he will be in the future anyway so give it to him now

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Unless its one of the new lads, i have no idea who will be captain? We don't have any leaders amongst the other players, and i'd prefer Hanlon to concentrate on playing at the moment. Thornhill might get it from how CC has described him?

You could say this is a captian competition! ;-)

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Kinda sums up our season perfectly imo. Contemplating a new guy who has not kicked a ball for us as captain is utterly bizarre but I agree that one of the new guys probably is the best bet. Strange old season down Easter Rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Aubenas View Post
    I have a wee feeling he might go for Thornhill or even Palsson. I quite like the idea teams used to use - a Club Captain (good pro, committed to club, respected by players) who is the symbol of the club, but may not play every week;(Obviously Nid) and a team captain who will be a first pick and lead by example on the pitch. That arrangement may have helped Hoggy in the past year.

Spot on Aubenas.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    'THE CAPTAIN FACTOR'...

Simon Cowell watches all our potential captains/folk who have already worn the armband this season(if he's got enough time to see them all) sing and perform a few dance routines and then he eventually picks who he thinks will be the best leader

Quote Originally Posted by NadeAteMyLunch! View Post
    'THE CAPTAIN FACTOR'...

Simon Cowell watches all our potential captains/folk who have already worn the armband this season(if he's got enough time to see them all) sing and perform a few dance routines and then he eventually picks who he thinks will be the best leader
    Wonder what he would make of Graeme Smith's impression of a goalkeeper

Andy Webster

Quote Originally Posted by 1two View Post
    Andy Webster
    More chance of Rosie Webster being made Hibs' captain!

Given that Palsson was captain of the Liverpool reserve team for a while, might not be a bad shout

Vic Pallson used to be Liverpool's reserve captain......

@hibs.net private member Manxhibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: purehibee
    Hopefully we now have 4/5 leaders in the squad. I don't think we can hang about for too long making the decision but I dont see the harm in waiting till after tonights game to name the club captain, though can he take the arm band off hanlon for tonight? Out of all the contenders I think I'd give it to Scott. Murray won't play enough to be made captain in my opinion.

Anyway let's get stuck in tonight!!! GGTTH!

Coaching Staff
    Am I the only one who doesn't give a toss on this one? It's a bit overplayed on here in terms of how it affects people's games or otherwise.

Derek Riordan - Now that he should have good players around him

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    In the absence of Murry in the team i think Hanlon might carry on short term although i'd rather he concentrated on his defending. Long term i think he'll asses the new players and it'll come from either Pallson, Thornhill or the new 'experienced CH' he brings in.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't give a toss on this one? It's a bit overplayed on here in terms of how it affects people's games or otherwise.

No you’re not. The captain in football is basically there to toss the coin pre-match.

Some folk seem to think a good captain is someone who does a lot of shouting and that but it’s not it’s about being a leader and you need more than 1 leader to be a successful team.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    IMO Paul Hanlon is the best candidate, giving him the captaincy, at least until the end of the season could be reward for being one of the few players this season to actually improve themselves as a player, show a bit commitment and try and drive the team forward.

There are areas of his game he needs to improve, however i've been pleased with his attituds in games so far so hopefully giving him the added responsibility of being captain might actually improve him as a player.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    No you’re not. The captain in football is basically there to toss the coin pre-match.

Some folk seem to think a good captain is someone who does a lot of shouting and that but it’s not it’s about being a leader and you need more than 1 leader to be a successful team.

Despite my previous post saying Hanlon should get i'm not really arsed either.

Read pele's book in the summer and he said he was never captain of any of his sides as he commanded respect anyway cos he was the best player so if someone else in the team was made captain there'd be two players in the team they would look to for help if things were going against them instead of just the captain.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bourne Yesterday View Post
    More chance of Rosie Webster being made Hibs' captain!
    I'd give it to her.

Stack ?

Hanlon ?

Miller ?

Murray ? (on bench though?)

Coming to a T.V near you soon..

"Team Selection Bingo " , " Goalie Factor" and "So you think you can be a Captain "

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: MrHibs
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

Despite my previous post saying Hanlon should get i'm not really arsed either.

Read pele's book in the summer and he said he was never captain of any of his sides as he commanded respect anyway cos he was the best player so if someone else in the team was made captain there'd be two players in the team they would look to for help if things were going against them instead of just the captain.
    Is that him saying that the players do look to the captain though?

I think the captain can make a difference to a team if he is the right type of character it's just we've not had one for a while (and it's showing).

I think Hanlon will continue as captain tonight and for the rest of the season unless Murray is starting.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I'd give it to her.

What about the captaincy though?

Edward John Smith