hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Underwhelmed

@hibs.net private member

Underwhelmed

For those that are disappointed in the calibre of our signings would you have felt the same if we'd brought a Dunfermline CH, a Boro reserve on loan to Barnsley, Grimsby Town player freed by Stockport or would we be similarly "underwhelmed"?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    Eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser1962 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For those that are disappointed in the calibre of our signings would you have felt the same if we'd brought a Dunfermline CH, a Boro reserve on loan to Barnsley, Grimsby Town player freed by Stockport or would we be similarly "underwhelmed"?
    None of them are Hibs class.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser1962 View Post
    Go on surprise us.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar Hibee View Post
    Eh?
    Do our current crop of signings have any worse a CV than these three guys?

Bamba, Murphy and Jones?

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    And the part-timer from Institute? Let's not forget that no-mark.

@hibs.net private member
    I forgot the guy who couldnt get a game in the French 2nd division and was loaned to a 3rd division outfit? Bloody useless he was.

There's also the one who we signed from the wee team, and who has just signed for a Premiership team.

Name escapes me....

A few low-key signings turned out to be diamonds. Way more turned out to be cubic zirconia (i.e. Konde, Sowumni, Konte, Donaldson, O'Brien, Canning, Morais, Zarabi, Gathuessi, Kerr, Noubissie, Van Zanten, Keenan, Pinau, Trakys, Dickoh and many more).

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    A few low-key signings turned out to be diamonds. Way more turned out to be cubic zirconia (i.e. Konde, Sowumni, Konte, Donaldson, O'Brien, Canning, Morais, Zarabi, Gathuessi, Kerr, Noubissie, Van Zanten, Keenan, Pinau, Trakys, Dickoh and many more).
    Probably add to that list quite a bit

I dont think O'Brien, in particular, was low key by Hibs standards post Bosman but thats the level we're at now.

Blog Entries
    Worth pointing out that Trakys and Dickoh are both into double figures caps for Lithuania and Ghana respectively, so not really dramatically low key on the face of it.

Trakys played well in the one (almost) full game he's had (is he injured?) and Dickoh is no better or worse than many a CH we've had over the years, despite Saturdays howlers.

The thing that really annoys me is that we suddenly seem to have changed from a club that feels it should always be top 4, (or at least top six on a bad year) and challenging for Europe, to one that accepts a bottom six status.

The signings reflect this; OUT: Moroccan international, Irish International and Ivory Coast International. IN: Charlton reserve, Liverpool reserve, Forest reserve and Ross County midfielder.

We've had no lift-off from CC at all.

There seems to be only two conclusions:

1) Calderwood is crap;

2) The squad really was so full of demotivated imposters that it really has to torn down and built back up.

We're operating on now on this backwards-to-go-forwards mentality.

The big nightmare is if both of these are true.

February will tell, if we can battle for points and stay up to give us a basis for going forward next season.

Something strange and utterly unique in it's shabbiness has been happening behind the scenes at Hibs for the last few years. We've been allowed to accumulate an undisciplined, leaderless squad. I hope this is the start of us stopping the rot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    The thing that really annoys me is that we suddenly seem to have changed from a club that feels it should always be top 4, (or at least top six on a bad year) and challenging for Europe, to one that accepts a bottom six status.

The signings reflect this; OUT: Moroccan international, Irish International and Ivory Coast International. IN: Charlton reserve, Liverpool reserve, Forest reserve and Ross County midfielder.

1) Calderwood is crap;

2) The squad really was so full of demotivated imposters that it really has to torn down and built back up.

February will tell, if we can battle for points and stay up to give us a basis for going forward next season.

Something strange and utterly unique in it's shabbiness has been happening behind the scenes at Hibs for the last few years. We've been allowed to accumulate an undisciplined, leaderless squad. I hope this is the start of us stopping the rot.
    Oh beggar off (or should it be sodje?) with your rational, well thought-out posts. I prefer you when you post about your fashion sense. Have we really sunk this low??

;0p

The gems have been extremely rare with the majority of signings living down to their Ratners sale price tags. You could add a raft of goalkeepers to that list plus various others. The Murfs and Ivans have been the exception to the rule.

Hopefully CCs signings can save us from relegation and if so job done. It is however a huge gamble imo to rely on younsters on loan , a First Division signing and a journeyman centre forward who's drifted from club to club to dig us out of the current mess. I would have thought that the financial implications of possible relegation would have been so great to have STF sanctioning the purchase of some players with proven SPL experience. Altho who would want to come to Hibs at present is debatable
    Last edited by Brizo; 01-02-2011 at 07:18 PM.

I think, or is that hope, its option 2 Bob.

As to the signings we cannot buy diamonds so we have to buy lumps of coal and polish them. Sometimes it works but more often it dosent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post

1) Calderwood is crap;