hibs.net Messageboard

ex player Svein Mathisen dies

sad news today from Norway,Svein Mathisen passed away.He was a popular football pundut here and will be sadly missed by all.

RIP

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by norhfc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    sad news today from Norway,Svein Mathisen passed away.He was a popular football pundut here and will be sadly missed by all.

RIP
    Sad news. He can't have been that old. Any idea of his age ?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by norhfc View Post

RIP
    Saw his debut along with Isaac Revjik against Morton at Easter Road. Was a class player - was sad when he went back to Norway. RIP

I remember him well, a really good player

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svein_Mathisen

hes was only 58 , was at his debut too,I even remember talking to the Norwegian camara crew who had set up in the old main terrace. Never thought I,d end up over here then...but thats another story.
    Hopefully the club will get to hear about his death and have the black arm bands on this weekend.

Left by mutual consent!
    Very sorry to hear this. Remember him & wee Isaak in their short spell at Hibs & the big row it caused at the time with Tom Hart taking on all-comers. Had the pleasure of meeting & talking with him a couple of times in the mid-1990's in the Press area at the Ulevaal Stadium in Oslo when Liverpool played in pre-season fixtures there. I was covering the matches for a publication called Xtra Time & Sven was working for a Norwegian TV company - TV2 seems to ring a bell at the back of my mind. The first time, he was totally shocked to be recognised from his Hibs days & was absolutely delighted to talk about his short spell in Edinburgh. RIP

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johncrobertson@ View Post
    Saw his debut along with Isaac Revjik against Morton at Easter Road. Was a class player - was sad when he went back to Norway. RIP
    Likewise. He was a cultured player who had that wee bit extra class about him.

@hibs.net private member Aubenas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sad to hear - he and wee Isaak were a breath of fresh air and I enjoyed watching them. He seemed a really nice guy and a good player. Sad news indeed - armbands at Tannadice would be a nice gesture - wasn't with us long but the stooshie caused by the arrival of these two moved on transfer arrangements IIRC
    Philly McGuinness, Leitrim GAA, died playing in a club match for Mohill. He epitomised all that is best about sport, making a 6 hour round trip to training three times a week from his workplace in Mayo, and was never late. His motto was 'Give it all, or give nothing'. One for all sportsmen to consider.

R.I.P Sven ..

Wasnt there a signing problem with Sven & Issac that they both got punted back to Norway ..some silly foreigner rule ..?

only played three games which was a pity. sad to hear this news.

RIP Svein

Those of you that recall his debut (which I also attended) might enjoy this wee read

The Vikings
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    RIP Svein

Those of you that recall his debut (which I also attended) might enjoy this wee read

The Vikings
    Good read JC ..cheers ..

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xoROOSKYox
    RIP Svein, Good player too...

Very silky player, sad loss.

Remember him being good in the tackle as well as his obvious skills on the ball. Wasn't too keen on Scottish style 50-50's but he was in there enough to make him look like Terry Horlock compared to todays lot.

@hibs.net private member norwayhibs's Avatar

Ex Hibee Svein Mathiesen

It was with great sorrow that I was told this morning that a great player who wore the green and white of Hibernian FC passed way late last night . Norwegian internationalist Svein "Matta" Mathiesen lost his battle against cancer. Svein played for the Hibees during the 1978-79 season and although he played only five games for the club he remembered his time at the club fondly.

I spoke to Svein in November and showed a picture of himself and Isak Refvik taken at Easter Road , he had never seen it and he wanted a copy

http://www.hibs.net/attachment.php?a...1&d=1296152858

Svein was 58 years old. R.I.P
    Attached Images Attached Images

How sad is that? I have fond memories of these two guys at ER and the hassle we had trying to get them, Refik was the most prosperous of the two and Mathiesen spent a lot of time in the reserves.

RIP Sven gone but not forgotten

Sad news - I remember well a wet League Cup quarter final second leg at Easter Road, standing on the main terracing by a thin line of police segregating the Hibs support from a couple of hundred Morton fans. 1-0 down from game at Cappielow & then Isak Refvik scored twice & we won 2-1 on aggregate.

The following Saturday Mathiesen played a blinder in a 2-2 home draw with Celtic

A brief stay at the Hi-bees but I remember him well

RIP

Always sad to hear of any ex Hibees passing away but at that age it is far too young. I remember the excitement when Sven Matheson was signed with Isak Refvik. The grand old days of the Bukta strip. I hope his family can take comfort in seeing the many tributes that will duly follow this one. RIP.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    That Morton game. Afterwards I was among a mob of delighted young Hibbies gathered at the players entrance behind the stand waiting on the players to emerge.
    Wee Isak ended up with my scarf around his neck.
    I don't believe either of the two of them could believe what they were seeing that night and hardened Hibbies of the time like Jackie Mac and Des Bremner (smilingly) shook their heads in disbelief at the adulation the pair of them were receiving.

This is terrible news about Sven Mathisen and I hope the club does something to pay respect.
    As someone posted earlier, this was ground-breaking at the time and Hibs were all over the national news in their bid to keep the players working here.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Handling View Post
    That Morton game. Afterwards I was among a mob of delighted young Hibbies gathered at the players entrance behind the stand waiting on the players to emerge.
    Wee Isak ended up with my scarf around his neck.
    I don't believe either of the two of them could believe what they were seeing that night and hardened Hibbies of the time like Jackie Mac and Des Bremner (smilingly) shook their heads in disbelief at the adulation the pair of them were receiving.

This is terrible news about Sven Mathisen and I hope the club does something to pay respect.
    As someone posted earlier, this was ground-breaking at the time and Hibs were all over the national news in their bid to keep the players working here.

I'll never forget these few weeks. Wee Refvik was obviously the main attraction but Svein was a class act too and we really thought that they were going to bring us a bit of much needed success as that team was on the wane. The Morton game is still fresh in my mind, standing in the old North Enclosure, great memories.

RIP Svein

Remember that Morton game well. RIP Sven. And a message to Isaak too,you are also still fondly recalled at ER.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    Very sorry to hear this. Remember him & wee Isaak in their short spell at Hibs & the big row it caused at the time with Tom Hart taking on all-comers. Had the pleasure of meeting & talking with him a couple of times in the mid-1990's in the Press area at the Ulevaal Stadium in Oslo when Liverpool played in pre-season fixtures there. I was covering the matches for a publication called Xtra Time & Sven was working for a Norwegian TV company - TV2 seems to ring a bell at the back of my mind. The first time, he was totally shocked to be recognised from his Hibs days & was absolutely delighted to talk about his short spell in Edinburgh. RIP
    He wasn't shy in coming forward.

I was at the Morton game and could see what Sven and Isak could bring to the Hibs. Sven had the class, and Isak had the goals. Great lads.

Rip Sven

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheBull1875
    Remember them well. Can be very few players who played such a short time at ER who are so fondly remembered.

RIP Sven.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Likewise. He was a cultured player who had that wee bit extra class about him.
    Shame to read of his passing.

RIP Svein.

RIP Svien. All the best to his family and friends in Norway.