hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar

does anyone else harbour resentment towards the training ground and the new stand?

i know it's completely irrational, but it seems like these, rather than the team, are rod petrie's babies - but they're no use to us if the team is this pish.

a good set up and solid financial situation unfortunately isn't an end in its self.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Regular Haggis Hibby's Avatar
    NO.... thats there for the long term...no we can concentrate on managing debt and improving the playing squad......

Players come and go..... the infrastructure at Hibs is sound for the next 30 years at least...... we can and will get better...

I would say that we are only half way thru the bigger plan....

@hibs.net private member BoltonHibee's Avatar
    His priorities were completely wrong!!

No, not at all. Both are class and now up and running won't be burdens on running costs. Worthwhile investments that will still be going strong when this set of players is long gone.

The poor investments are the majority of the playing squad.

To be fair, we weren't actually doing too badly when he was prioritising the infrastructure.
    Every effort can be put into the team now, but first priority is to stay up!
    I'd rather be in our position than sitting 6 or 7th with a **** stadium and local park/college campus training facility.

All we have to do is stay up, and things will improve dramatically I reckon. Have faith.

Testimonial Due one day maybe...'s Avatar
    We will improve and we will be stronger in the future for it. We have everything in place to be a successful football team.
    The playing staff will improve in time
    It hurts right now, but it only hurts because we care, we will always care and I have no doubt that Hibernain as a football club will give me some wonderful highs before I die. I will take a few heartaches along the way.

The training ground looks as if it was the biggest waste of 4.5 million pound ever. With no proper indoor facilities we have been training at ER during the winter and the pitch looks very poor quality. If we are going to spend 4.5 million on a training ground what is another 20k or so for a full size indoor pitch.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    NO.... thats there for the long term...no we can concentrate on managing debt and improving the playing squad......

Players come and go..... the infrastructure at Hibs is sound for the next 30 years at least...... we can and will get better...

I would say that we are only half way thru the bigger plan....
    Indeed.

The advantage of investing in the infrastructure is that it doesn't get pilfered by the OF or leave for greener pastures! It lasts! I think the facts are:
    1. Hibs cannot afford to build a team AND the infrastructure at the same time.
    2. Hibs cannot hold onto the really good talent. This has been shown time and time again.

Now that we have the business side of things taken care of we can afford to start investing in the team and will be able to do so for the considerable future. We might also stand a better chance of holding onto these players without having any other (future) expenses to worry about.

Left by mutual consent!
    I stated on here at time the training centre was a bit OTT, yes we required it but it is too much, the stand I think/hope in longrun that will be of value.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsberg View Post
    I stated on here at time the training centre was a bit OTT, yes we required it but it is too much, the stand I think/hope in longrun that will be of value.
    So which part of it would you not have built?
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    i know it's completely irrational, but it seems like these, rather than the team, are rod petrie's babies - but they're no use to us if the team is this pish.

a good set up and solid financial situation unfortunately isn't an end in its self.
    none at all, just look whats it`s done for us

It's not as if the money spent on them would otherwise have been ploughed into players, as wasn't much of it mortgages and the like? i.e. not cash that could have been spent on players.

But then of course we could be sat here complaining we'd spent cash on a load of duds and that forcing them to train on muddy fields was ruining our season!

Ultimately, yes, our team is currently shocking. Doesn't mean that East Mains is no longer a good thing, and in the long term, there is likely to be no cheaper time to have built the stand than when we did.

[QUOTE=Haggis Hibby;2710854]NO.... thats there for the long term...no we can concentrate on managing debt and improving the playing squad......

I would say that we are only half way thru the bigger plan....[/QUOTE]

I would agree with this. Not nice just now but I think this is the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by BoltonHibee View Post
    His priorities were completely wrong!!

i am happy we got the training ground and new east stand.

if the 3million reportedly spent on the playing stff is true its more a fault of our managers signing crap players than anything else.

It is not the stands fault. I blame that jambo shirt buried underneath it.

.. solid financial situation unfortunately isn't an end in its self.
    Operating losses of £2m, no cash and no playing assets to sell - so we're in a mess! Not as bad as some but we are in a mess.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    Surely the very fact that the Hibs support is split on this shows that the decision of where to invest the money is a highly contentious topic? Some people think we did the right thing, others disagree. Neither side is likely to jump ranks - I know I won't.

We HAD to invest in the infrastructure at some point in time and if not then, when? And when we did get around to it we would again be in the same position i.e., not being able to invest in players in at the same time. Should that have happened at some point in the future then the board would still take pelters for ignoring the playing staff....if performances were poor. The fact of the matter is, if Hibs were playing decent football nobody would have been questioning this business decision. We're hurt and looking for excuses, someone to blame. It's human nature.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar

No. its hurting now but I think they are probably in our longer term interests, mind you this is Hibs we are talking about so we will probably crack on and go for another training centre and double tier, or 8 stands to store all our spare seats in.

Somebody on this thread has quoted 4.5 million for the training facility, there is absolutely no way that cost 4.5 million...

The training ground was necessary (rather than rotating around public parks which is embarassing) but I think we jumped in too quickly on the stand. Rod saw the price of steel drop and couldn't resist a bargain.

Priorities wrong for me......plus I miss the old east.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    The stand and training centre were vital for the long term future of the club, with the right manager in place he will get more out the players in that training centre , and in doing so fill that stadium. Getting the right man is just as important as the infrastructure, thats where we have failed again

Yes to both, the training complex seems to have been a complete waste of time as our fitness has been terrible since the day we moved in, pampering football players (if thats what you can call us) isn't a very good idea in my book, then again I'm old school training and it wouldn't be a bad idea to get their lazy ***** up Arthurs Seat a couple of times a week.

The new east looks superb but was a bad move by the board, STF is looking at the bigger picture i.e. semi finals, Scotland under 21's etc but it was more than obvious team investment was needed long before they took the option to build it.

Result?, the worst Hibs team in living memory for me, so go figure
    Last edited by HIBERNIAN-0762; 27-01-2011 at 05:35 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Quiet_Man View Post
    Operating losses of £2m, no cash and no playing assets to sell - so we're in a mess! Not as bad as some but we are in a mess.
    So do you think we're spending too much on wages then since that's the biggest expenditure?

First Team Breakthrough woodyloon's Avatar

No

Just because we are no better than a Junior Club just now, hopefully sometime in the future we will regain our status.
    Last edited by woodyloon; 26-01-2011 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Just totally Shellshocked and numb.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    So which part of it would you not have built?
    A facilty half the size would have done the job IMO.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 7Hero View Post
    Somebody on this thread has quoted 4.5 million for the training facility, there is absolutely no way that cost 4.5 million...

http://www.hibernian-mad.co.uk/news/...92/index.shtml

The new state of the art building cost a final sum of over £4.9m and the players will use it immediately.

Left by mutual consent!
    if and when we improve the stadium and training centre will help us hold onto the players that we do get in future that might consider leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody1985 View Post
    So do you think we're spending too much on wages then since that's the biggest expenditure?
    Our income has fallen dramatically .. on account of poor players, poor football, poor results, poor cup runs .. so presently our wages:income ratio looks too high. Of course there is the dis-proportionate Boardroom wages spend also.