hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough Hibhibhooray's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibhibhooray PSN ID: Hibhibhooray

2. Log in to remove the advert

Is it just me or is it slightly depressing that we may be relying on a League One reserve to sort out our problem left-back position? It hardly indicates 'full, committed backing of the manager'.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it just me or is it slightly depressing that we may be relying on a League One reserve to sort out our problem left-back position? It hardly indicates 'full, committed backing of the manager'.
    If we even sign him, IF, can we watch him play before we castigate the guy?

The reality is that this is the market we are in. And look on the bright side, at least he's not a midget

Testimonial Due bighairyfaeleith's Avatar
    Well he sounds foreign to me, so I'm sold

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Anyone remember him at the Bairns?

Yip. Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Falcon View Post
    If we even sign him, IF, can we watch him play before we castigate the guy?

The reality is that this is the market we are in. And look on the bright side, at least he's not a midget
    Who's castigating the guy? I know nothing about him other than he was at Falkirk for a short spell, couldn't get a contract at Aberdeen and is a reserve at Swindon now.

I still stand by the comment that a League One reserve, in our situation, isn't good enough, I'm afraid. This isn't a Sproule, who just hasn't had a chance at a bigger club, or a Murphy who just can't break into the team at a Premiership club or even a Hart who has proven himself in the SPL at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by smurf View Post
    Yip. Agreed.
    So who should he be targeting thats affordable, available and willing to come here?

So who should he be targeting thats affordable, available and willing to come here?
    We have a scouting network, right? I even read that we have a Scouting Co-ordinator last week.

I give up. You tell us?

And in any case it's not our job to do the suggesting or hiring.

But I think it's fair to say that now is not the time to be 'gambling' the Club immediate future on more players no-one else wants.

Who's castigating the guy? I know nothing about him other than he was at Falkirk for a short spell, couldn't get a contract at Aberdeen and is a reserve at Swindon now.

I still stand by the comment that a League One reserve, in our situation, isn't good enough, I'm afraid. This isn't a Sproule, who just hasn't had a chance at a bigger club, or a Murphy who just can't break into the team at a Premiership club or even a Hart who has proven himself in the SPL at some point.
    Thats fair comment but perhaps this a short term deal in a position where we are weak. Perhaps, having made approaches and been knocked back, CC believes he is better than what we have and feels he can get something out of him.

We are operating in a market where Scunthorpe, on crowds of under 5k, can offer our club captain a significantly better deal than we can and outbid all SPL clubs (outside the OF and even then, just now thats a maybe) on the SPL's current leading scorer.

It sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cropley10 View Post
    I give up. You tell us?

And in any case it's not our job to do the suggesting or hiring.

But I think it's fair to say that now is not the time to be 'gambling' the Club immediate future on more players no-one else wants.
    We dont even know if we're signing this guy? No-one wanted Murphy when we signed him. Perhaps we have seen something that we can use. I am not particularly thrilled either but I do think, if he is a target and we sign him, he should be given a chance.

We have a scouting network, right? I even read that we have a Scouting Co-ordinator last week.
    We do! Christ....give me a minute here

has this rumour been posted anywhere else? whats the reliability of Hibees Mad? Im not convinced this is true but if it is then I'll give the guy a chance - CC has obviously seen something in him that he thinks would add to the squad.

Are you at all confident to suggest that he appears to be potentially better than we have?

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    has this rumour been posted anywhere else? whats the reliability of Hibees Mad? Im not convinced this is true but if it is then I'll give the guy a chance - CC has obviously seen something in him that he thinks would add to the squad.
    Not a dig at the reported target, but CC see's something in Rankin, Nish & Smith, that's why he plays them!

We need signings. Calderwood has to get his own guys in and get this team sorted. We should give him the benefit of the doubt over his targets - it is his job to find hibs class players on the cheap after all.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Are you at all confident to suggest that he appears to be potentially better than we have?
    Our manager clearly does.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

No I'm not and would much rather it was someone who was perhaps more familiar to us. But as Beefster pointed out Michael Hart was and Yogi chased him for months. This is perhaps the other side of that argument that just because he's known, or unknown, dosent mean its gonna work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Our manager clearly does.
    Maybe it's another one of Rod's signings

Quote Originally Posted by Ray-in-ireland View Post
    Not a dig at the reported target, but CC see's something in Rankin, Nish & Smith, that's why he plays them!
    True enough....

To an extent I can understand the inclusions of Rankin and Nish - basically because we have very little options in their positions. On the other hand I have no idea what the man is thinking when he picks Smith, once is fair enough, he wants to see him in a competitive match but after his clangers against Ayr, particularly the moment when the ball was slowly bouncing towards him to catch and he managed to chest it out for a corner, it is beyond me why he'd select him again - surely after his mistakes in the Well game he'll be dropped for good.

Despite what he's saying in interviews, he's obviously not happy with the performances and thats why he keeps changing the team.

Im still onside with him at the moment and think he'll keep us up, which all things considered would be a success this season.

I still think that the rumour is not true - Hibs tend to conduct all transfer business very quietly (the Rooney thing was made public by ICT) and Id be surprised to learn that Hibs Mad had insider information that no-one else does.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/John...?articlepage=3

They seem pretty sure he'll be signing for us.

Agree with the concerns about this guy TBH, i'm normally pretty positive about any new signings and convinced they'll be the next big thing but i'm strugglint to even find any straws i can clutch on to hear.

True enough....

To an extent I can understand the inclusions of Rankin and Nish - basically because we have very little options in their positions. On the other hand I have no idea what the man is thinking when he picks Smith, once is fair enough, he wants to see him in a competitive match but after his clangers against Ayr, particularly the moment when the ball was slowly bouncing towards him to catch and he managed to chest it out for a corner, it is beyond me why he'd select him again - surely after his mistakes in the Well game he'll be dropped for good.

Despite what he's saying in interviews, he's obviously not happy with the performances and thats why he keeps changing the team.

Im still onside with him at the moment and think he'll keep us up, which all things considered would be a success this season.
    Agree with all of that.

I've been backing him and am sure he'll get it right next season as long as we stay up, however i'd be lying if i didn't admit the alarm bells are starting to ring with the lack of transfer activity and his decision to drop Brown for Smith.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar

On that criteria, we would never have touched Rob Jones then?

Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    On that criteria, we would never have touched Rob Jones then?
    Rob Jones was player of the year at Grimsby before we signed him so the fact he was playing well attracted our interest.

This guy appears to be out the picture at Swindon after being rejected at aberdeen and only managing a handfull of appearances for Falkirk so i don't think there's any comparison to the Jones signing.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Rob Jones was player of the year at Grimsby before we signed him so the fact he was playing well attracted our interest.

This guy appears to be out the picture at Swindon after being rejected at aberdeen and only managing a handfull of appearances for Falkirk so i don't think there's any comparison to the Jones signing.
    Did he not knock back aberdeen in favour of swindon?

Quote Originally Posted by matty_fairnie View Post
    Did he not knock back aberdeen in favour of swindon?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Francois_Lescinel

not according to the ever reliable wikipedia

If he can clear a ball and has the right attitude he's just what we need right now.

Does the article say that he was rejected by Aberdeen? From reading that I got the impression that he chose Swindon instead of them!

Bamba was slated by many when he first arrived too

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/John...?articlepage=3

They seem pretty sure he'll be signing for us.
    I cant see anything about the Swindon bloke on your link mate. 1 Of the comments refers to us signing an injured player but I think that means Thornhill.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    If he can clear a ball and has the right attitude he's just what we need right now.

Does the article say that he was rejected by Aberdeen? From reading that I got the impression that he chose Swindon instead of them!

Bamba was slated by many when he first arrived too
    I hope your right, i'm not going to go out my way to provide too much of an argument against him signing as i've obviously never seen the guy play and pressumably CC has but tbh my thougths are leaning more to being concerned than excited at the prospect of him coming in.

Had a quick peak at a Swindon town forum to see if there was any news, the general concensus was that they appeared to be disapointed to be losing a squad player although he wasnae that good but he did have a good attitude so who knows, he may be the next Jimmy Boco

I cant see anything about the Swindon bloke on your link mate. 1 Of the comments refers to us signing an injured player but I think that means Thornhill.
    Calderwood is believed to be considering a move for Swindon Town defender Lecsinel Jean-Francois. Only Aberdeen had conceded more goals than Hibs before Saturday's matches and Calderwood is ready to make the 6ft 2 in Haiti international one of several new signings in the next eight days.

Jean-Francois can play at left-back or in the heart of the defence. He made ten appearances for Falkirk in 2006-07 before leaving to join French club Guingamp. He also played in a trial for Aberdeen against Brechin City in 2008 but opted to join Swindon instead
    page one

in fairness i did miss the bit about him opting for swindon instead of aberdeen and not failing to win a deal like it says in his wiki page so hopefully thats the correct version.