hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Riordan's Contract

Does anybody know if he has a "Must Be In Starting Eleven" in his contract?
    The reason I ask is, the one game he did not start or even play in, was at Ibrox when we saw a performance from a team that can't pass or even tackle when he is playing, look like the were at the top of the league and playing with confidence

2. Log in to remove the advert

I have read the contract and the answer is No.

However he has scored over 100 goals for Hibs the options if had not played were Trakys and Nish I hope this helps resolve the matter.

@hibs.net private member Big90inOz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhosYourDaddy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The reason I ask is, the one game he did not start or even play in, was at Ibrox when we saw a performance from a team that can't pass or even tackle when he is playing, look like the were at the top of the league and playing with confidence

I agree to a certain extent.

He can produce a goal out of nothing but offers very little else. Good player to have in a good side, however we are not a good side and he isn't offering enough.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence,therefore, is not an act but a habit.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I cannot for the life of me understand how he's in the team at the moment. Yesterday he was just appalling. Which to be fair is just slightly below most of his performances this season

I wish people would stop talking about the huns game. From the look of this whole team and not just DR that night was a fluke. One player does not make or ruin a team if the team has any passion and grit in it.

I'm not defending Deek's performances but you can't be serious if you think his inclusion is at the root of our problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    I cannot for the life of me understand how he's in the team at the moment. Yesterday he was just appalling. Which to be fair is just slightly below most of his performances this season
    On his current form, he's lucky we don't have any other real striking options, or he wouldn't be starting.

First Team Breakthrough
    Give the guy a break..he is the only talented striker at the club, the only goalscorer, who has banged in so many crackers for us over the years and has consistently been top scorer or second top each season....he worked his socks off yesterday, and maybe things didn't come off for him, but this is the worst hibs team he has played in. I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to leave. Too many fans now making him the scapegoat....get a grip
    Last edited by HNA6; 16-01-2011 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Bypassing swear filter

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djs69 View Post
    Give the guy a break..he is the only talented striker at the club, the only goalscorer, who has banged in so many crackers for us over the years and has consistently been top scorer or second top each season....he worked his socks off yesterday, and maybe things didn't come off for him, but this is the worst hibs team he has played in. I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to leave. Too many fans now making him the scapegoat....get a grip
    it must of been in a brian kerr style cause i sure as hell didn't notice it
    Last edited by HNA6; 16-01-2011 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Quote edited

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    It would be a pity, but if Hibs receive an offer for him, they'd be mental not to accept it as long as we can get a replacement in.

I'm convinced he'll walk away for nothing again at the end of the season anyway and frankly, he's not the type of player we need in a relegation battle.

He used to be able to score goals out of "nothing", maybe he still can, but at the moment we need players to create the "nothing", to scrap for every ball and to put themselves in when the odds are against them.

An incident in the first half summed it up for me. The ball was half cleared just outside the box to our left and it needed attacked and heading back across goal.

Instead of challenging for the ball in the air, Derek bottled out and tried some sort of girly high kick to control it, failed, and gave away a foul. Woeful and embarrassing.

Having said all of that, I think we started to get a better contribution from him when Byrne came on to partner Duffy up front and Deek moved to the left.

If we start using him like that again, maybe a new contract offer would be worth considering, but not at the moment.

In my opinion.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Barney McGrew View Post
    On his current form, he's lucky we don't have any other real striking options, or he wouldn't be starting.
    Look at his last 3 games, done the square root of the centre of a doughnut.....

He is lucky to be starting but as you say we have nothing else.... After Duffy scoring 2 at Newcastle, and you would think confidence high, why was he not in starting 11 yesterday, beats me?

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post

He is lucky to be starting but as you say we have nothing else.... After Duffy scoring 2 at Newcastle, and you would think confidence high, why was he not in starting 11 yesterday, beats me?

IMO Deek is not the problem, he is never a lone striker/target man & our midfield has no one in it who can create a chance for our forwards.
    I would drop him back into wide left & start with DD & KB up front against Ayr where he can either create chances for the 2 forwards or even get one of his trademark shots from the edge of the box where he has more room to do his thing

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by djs69 View Post

I'd love to see his Opta stats yesterday. I doubt he clocked up more yards than either of the keepers
    Last edited by HNA6; 16-01-2011 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Quote edited

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Vini1875 View Post
    I wish people would stop talking about the huns game. From the look of this whole team and not just DR that night was a fluke. One player does not make or ruin a team if the team has any passion and grit in it.

I'm not defending Deek's performances but you can't be serious if you think his inclusion is at the root of our problems.

I agree. If you go with Ibrox argument then Rankin should be playing every week (he was our best player that night) and we know how highly regarded he is on here.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    Im not the biggest fan of Riordan, never have been really. He is capable of some top class goals, but when things arent going our way, I just dont see what he offers; yes he has improved his work rate recently, but still isnt anywhere near enough.

Dont think yesterday was his fault though, CC got it all wrong, playing him and Zemmama up top and then hoofing it up to them was nonsense, was never, ever going to work. If thats the sort of football he wants to play then hes going to have to use a target man (Trakys) or someone whos going to chase down every ball.

Left by mutual consent! Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz_hibee View Post
    IMO Deek is not the problem, he is never a lone striker/target man & our midfield has no one in it who can create a chance for our forwards.
    I would drop him back into wide left & start with DD & KB up front against Ayr where he can either create chances for the 2 forwards or even get one of his trademark shots from the edge of the box where he has more room to do his thing
    Yeah' deffo

Promising Youngster GreenGiant1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Reid1875
    Not the sort of player who needs to (or should) be running all over the pitch, and is not a lone striker! Has to be playing off another striker.

Quote Originally Posted by Vini1875 View Post

And to come to that conclusion....it was a FLUKE?
    Have you seen that same team play together again?

If you look at the current set-up in the hibs team, all the play revolves around DR, now that is fine if he was a play maker, but that he is certainly not!

I get fed up coming on here and hearing how DR is a Hibby and has scored 100 goals for hibs...so what!
    Right now I would like to see 11 team players on the pitch, giving there all and fighting for each other, plus giving each other so encouragement when a misplaced pass goes astray , and not moan and bitch every time you don't get a ball at your feet.
    Playing DR as an attacking LM is probably his best position, but he has to learn to come back to help the LB, who he need to come forward to draw players away from him! Now the down side of him playing in that position.....he is so predictable!

If you look at the current set-up in the hibs team, all the play revolves around DR, now that is fine if he was a play maker, but that he is certainly not!

I get fed up coming on here and hearing how DR is a Hibby and has scored 100 goals for hibs...so what!
    Right now I would like to see 11 team players on the pitch, giving there all and fighting for each other, plus giving each other so encouragement when a misplaced pass goes astray , and not moan and bitch every time you don't get a ball at your feet.
    Playing DR as an attacking LM is probably his best position, but he has to learn to come back to help the LB, who he need to come forward to draw players away from him! Now the down side of him playing in that position.....he is so predictable!
    Where exactly are we going to get those 11 players, as they sure as hell aint at the club at this moment in time?

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Where exactly are we going to get those 11 players, as they sure as hell aint at the club at this moment in time?
    That my friend is very true and that is why (like many more Hibs fans) can't understand how we went to Ibrox and played like a real football team. Ok rangers did not play well, but that was down to us making them look bad with our movement off the ball and getting stuck in.

That my friend is very true and that is why (like many more Hibs fans) can't understand how we went to Ibrox and played like a real football team. Ok rangers did not play well, but that was down to us making them look bad with our movement off the ball and getting stuck in.
    It was a complete fluke imo. I'd take another on Tuesday night as well please.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by too_many_djs View Post
    Im not the biggest fan of Riordan, never have been really. He is capable of some top class goals, but when things arent going our way, I just dont see what he offers; yes he has improved his work rate recently, but still isnt anywhere near enough.

Dont think yesterday was his fault though, CC got it all wrong, playing him and Zemmama up top and then hoofing it up to them was nonsense, was never, ever going to work. If thats the sort of football he wants to play then hes going to have to use a target man (Trakys) or someone whos going to chase down every ball.
    What is happening with Trakys, is he fit or injured, wasn't even on the bench yesterday, it was so obvious that wee needed some height upfront yesterday, why do wee have Nish on the bench and dont use him.

Perhaps the constant changing of the side hasn't helped? After that result I'd have seen that 11 as worthy of being given a constant run, regardless of DR's absence.

Quote Originally Posted by simply the best View Post
    I have read the contract and the answer is No.

However he has scored over 100 goals for Hibs the options if had not played were Trakys and Nish I hope this helps resolve the matter.
    So you must be a close family friend or a relation to him then, or does he just show off his contract to anybody!
    And you forgot about Byrne & Duffy

@hibs.net private member Eaststand's Avatar

We all agree that Riordan has lots of ability. I reckon it's a crime that he has all that ability but puts zero effort into anything that he thinks isn't for him. He's defo not a team player, and despite his undoubted talent, he's a luxury that we cannot afford.
    We all have our opinions about who is a player and who aint, that's fitba...but try watching the petulant attitude that Riordan dishes out when he doesn't get the ball EXACTLY as he would have liked...it pathetic at times, and is very bad for team moral.
    We would miss some of his goals, but lots of other teams seem to have no problem scoring goals without him in their team, so I've every confidence that if he does leave ER we would find a replacement who knows how to play the team game

GGTTH

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    It would be a pity, but if Hibs receive an offer for him, they'd be mental not to accept it as long as we can get a replacement in.

I'm convinced he'll walk away for nothing again at the end of the season anyway and frankly, he's not the type of player we need in a relegation battle.

He used to be able to score goals out of "nothing", maybe he still can, but at the moment we need players to create the "nothing", to scrap for every ball and to put themselves in when the odds are against them.

An incident in the first half summed it up for me. The ball was half cleared just outside the box to our left and it needed attacked and heading back across goal.

Instead of challenging for the ball in the air, Derek bottled out and tried some sort of girly high kick to control it, failed, and gave away a foul. Woeful and embarrassing.

Having said all of that, I think we started to get a better contribution from him when Byrne came on to partner Duffy up front and Deek moved to the left.

If we start using him like that again, maybe a new contract offer would be worth considering, but not at the moment.

In my opinion.
    Tend to agree although the player needs to want to go if an offer come in.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar

Do you mean humping high balls down the middle like yesterday?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney McGrew View Post
    If Colin Nish put in a performance liked that he would have been lynched

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    If Colin Nish put in a performance liked that he would have been lynched
    He does, almost every time he pulls a strip on.