hibs.net Messageboard

The Pink Newspaper (SHC)

Does anyone have a copy of the old Pink newspaper that they could scan the front page of and post on here or PM to me please?

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Regular steviecarnie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tory Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does anyone have a copy of the old Pink newspaper that they could scan the front page of and post on here or PM to me please?
    does it matter what date? i have an old copy from when i was a lad i featured in

or u could maybe email the guys and see if they have an digital copy

http://www.thepink.org.uk/index.htm
    Last edited by steviecarnie; 11-01-2011 at 12:21 PM.

What ever happened to the Pink anyway? Any ideas why it was stopped?

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M11BMO View Post
    Newspaper sales have been falling for years, mainly due to the interweb. I think it was no longer viable.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 11-01-2011 at 01:22 PM.

The national library of scotland

Would be your best bet mate, they have a copy of every paper ever printed. all you would need is an uptodate Library card. They will copy for you, they are very helpfull.

The headlines were great.

"Jinky Jimmy Jinxes Gers". "Dinky Derek Dumps Dons". See a pattern there?

The best though was: "Hibs Are Munro-Spun".

Is this any use?
    Last edited by Bobo; 11-01-2011 at 03:44 PM.
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M11BMO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Newspaper sales have been falling for years, mainly due to the interweb. I think it was no longer viable.
    That makes sense. At the time it was pretty much the only way of getting a report of the games straight away. Now you can go on the internet 5 minutes after the games have finished and get a report of whatever you like.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    All true Hibees used to buy "The Green" on a Saturday night.

Never mind aw' that pink rubbish.

I can remember my mum going into a shop in Edinburgh on our way home from Easter Road and buying a Pink for me to read with reports from the Hibs game about half an hour after the game had ended.

I thought it was amazing at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Is this any use?
    Perfect...thanks Bobo.

I take it that it wasn't actually called "The Pink" until the 90's then? Before that it was the Saturday Evening News but on pink paper?

Perfect...thanks Bobo.

I take it that it wasn't actually called "The Pink" until the 90's then? Before that it was the Saturday Evening News but on pink paper?
    The Pink was one of two versions of the sports section produced for supporters on a Saturday night. The pink was more suited to our scruffy neighbours and a green "Dispatch" was most commonly used by people of the more sensible Hibernian persuasion.

I remember my Dad talking about it so it must have been in use in the mid to late Fifties before merging into the pink in the early Sixties. Some of the older posters may be able to fully confirm for you.
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Perfect...thanks Bobo.

There were 2 sports newspapers printed and published on a Saturday night. From memory, "The Pink" was the Evening News and "The Green" was the Despatch.

Both were in circulation not long after the final whistle, which looking back, was no mean achievement. They both gave a fairly comprehensive coverage of local sport and were very popular.

The Pink survived a bit longer than the Green unfortunately!!

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Fitba' Daft was my favourite bit of it... a cartoon strip featuring Boab and Eck.

IIRC, the former was a Hibby, the other a Jambo. As was the fashion with a lot of folk at the time, they would take it in turns to do ER one week and Tynie the other. The strip was always related to that day's "home" game, and normally took the form of taking the P out of a stereotype of the visiting support.

In the summer, it was replaced by the same two guys in "Bowling Grin". Never got that.

In the fifties and into the sixties the weekday evening papers had five or six editions.People used to get them in the days before betting shops because the STOP PRESS use to carry updated racing results and the bookies runners would pay out on those.Now the News is printed in Gla***w -it would bring a tear to a glass eye.

I used to have a collection of old papers including both Pink and Green. I'm kicking myself that I threw them out.

As stated these publications gave a great coverage of other local sports and schools sport, which is something we don't get now. So much for the internet.

I remember reading reports of Hibs "A" team matches on the inside page - usually two paragraphs only describing the first half!

I mind as a young laddie standing in the paper shop in a huge queue waiting on the delivery of the pink.

Good times...

Quote Originally Posted by LeithBoozy View Post
    Would be your best bet mate, they have a copy of every paper ever printed. all you would need is an uptodate Library card. They will copy for you, they are very helpfull.
    The newspaper archive in the Edinburgh Room in the library on George IV bridge only has copies of Scotsman and EEN but don't have copies of the the Pink unfortunately. It would have been handy for checking results when I have been compiling my record of all games played by Hibs.

As a laddie in the late 50's/early 60's my Grandad used to send me down for a Green, then later I'd leave ER, get the 4 bus to the shops at Colinton Mains, pick up the Pink and read the match report as I walked home, then sell it to my Dad.