hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: What SPL would you prefer?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 teams

1 4.76%
  • 12 teams

3 14.29%
  • 14 teams

17 80.95%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar

League Reconstruction

I'm picking up that despite what we are hearing in the press, the vote on 10 team set up will be going ahead. Nothing too dramatic there since I'm also told the proposal will fail to achieve the required 11-1.

What I did find interesting was the (apparent) claim that under the proposal (supported by Rod Petrie) the ugly sisters share of TV revenue would increase from 32.5% to 35% each, with the remander shared by the other 18 clubs in the 2 tier set up.

Apart from the nonsense of the proposal itself, why would our man be supporting any kind of proposal that increased their revenue, and presumably diminished ours? As a non footballing person I can see why he'd be oblivious to the damage the new set up would do to Scottish Football.....

...but as a business man????
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

2. Log in to remove the advert

Rod must have a "cunning plan" , remember what happened to Baldricks ?,

@hibs.net private member thebakerboy's Avatar
    Think that last nights crowd of 13000 at Ibrox (their lowest for 25 years) may be proof that more games between premier league clubs not at 3pm on a Saturday is not what the fans want even the bigot bros. If Rangers cannot get a bigger crowd than that against Kilmarnock currently on a good run of form what chance is there for more games at odd times and I do understand cup matches are generally not being attended in great numbers but I do think fans are fed up of this.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rich Tea12
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudds_1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm picking up that despite what we are hearing in the press, the vote on 10 team set up will be going ahead. Nothing too dramatic there since I'm also told the proposal will fail to achieve the required 11-1.

What I did find interesting was the (apparent) claim that under the proposal (supported by Rod Petrie) the ugly sisters share of TV revenue would increase from 32.5% to 35% each, with the remander shared by the other 18 clubs in the 2 tier set up.

Apart from the nonsense of the proposal itself, why would our man be supporting any kind of proposal that increased their revenue, and presumably diminished ours? As a non footballing person I can see why he'd be oblivious to the damage the new set up would do to Scottish Football.....

seriously, i cant believe this is still allowed to happen!

its daylight robbery!

how can anybody expect to compete??

R.I.P Scottish Football

Quote Originally Posted by Ritchie View Post
    seriously, i cant believe this is still allowed to happen!

its daylight robbery!

how can anybody expect to compete??

R.I.P Scottish Football

Very much my view also... the belief that Scottish Football delivers equitable treatment to all it's member clubs seems hollow when you find that 18 clubs have to share 65% revenue whilst the other two, who are already able to generate cash via their fanbase , marketing, brand etc continue to get the lions share.

Maybe we're not expected to compete. How could I have been so blind

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Very much my view also... the belief that Scottish Football delivers equitable treatment to all it's member clubs seems hollow when you find that 18 clubs have to share 65% revenue whilst the other two, who are already able to generate cash via their fanbase , marketing, brand etc continue to get the lions share.

And remember the other clubs actually voted in favour of this.

First Team Breakthrough paxtonhibby's Avatar
    I assume the reason RP is backing the 10 team proposal is to get the bigots as much as possible at ER.Worringly if it does go through it will backfire on him due to fed up fans sick of the monotony.

My reading of the OP was that "The 18" get 30% between them while Celtic and Rangers 35% get each...

32.5% to each of Rangers and Celtic? So, at the moment, the other 10 SPL clubs share 35% of the TV revenue?

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    32.5% to each of Rangers and Celtic? So, at the moment, the other 10 SPL clubs share 35% of the TV revenue?
    ATM, the teams finishing in the top 2 places get around 33% of the pot, IIRC.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Maybe RP should push for a system where the TV revenue is split as follows,

goals scored by a club divided by the total number of goals at the end of the league season times 100 = the percentage of the TV revenue each club gets.

Yes the bigots would still get most, but it would also encourage attacking football
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

From the SPL handbook

“The Basic Facility Fee Pool”, 48% of the Net Commercial Revenues, which shall be shared equally amongst the Clubs participating in the League during the Season in question; and “The Supplementary Facility Fee Pool”, 52% of the Net Commercial Revenues, which shall be paid to the Clubs participating in the League during the Season in question in accordance with their respective league positions at the end of that Season.

League Position Total % of Net Commercial Revenues

1 ...........................................17.0%
    2 ...........................................15.0%
    3 .............................................9.5%
    4 .............................................8.5%
    5 .............................................8.0%
    6 .............................................7.5%
    7..............................................7.0 %
    8 .............................................6.5%
    9 .............................................6.0%
    10 ...........................................5.5%
    11 ...........................................5.0%
    12 ...........................................4.5%

I think the OP has her info mixed up.

I see the Daily Record are championing 14 teams, splits into 2 x 7 half way, then top 7 play each other twice and bottom play each other twice....

My fear through all of this is, when the 14 teams and split half way (I think it was top 6, bottom 8) was first aired, and was rightly greeted with dismay, that the whole 10 team thing was going to be a bluff to make opting for the 14 suddenly seem like a better option....

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post

No...badly written by me.

As I understand it the proposal sees the uglies get 35% of tv revenue with the other 18 sharing the remaining 65%.

Do you think our board had a meeting about voting for a new set up or is do you think Rod just tells the rest to tag along ?. However it was decided they never even have the sense to keep us informed of how and why they decided to go the way they have , the board/ Petrie must think that we are a bunch of mugs that will turn up to watch any old nonsense , they should never take us for granted.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Disc O'Dave View Post
    I see the Daily Record are championing 14 teams, splits into 2 x 7 half way, then top 7 play each other twice and bottom play each other twice....

My fear through all of this is, when the 14 teams and split half way (I think it was top 6, bottom 8) was first aired, and was rightly greeted with dismay, that the whole 10 team thing was going to be a bluff to make opting for the 14 suddenly seem like a better option....
    I don't like that 14 team format at all, I'd prefer the 10 team league to that.

We're miserable enough without being stuck with the last 12 games of the season being home and away games with the rest of the dregs of the league. Attendances would be shocking.

As things stand there will be no change. The SPL leadership have tried to 'bounce' this one through despite the fact that only six or seven of the 12 are prepared to vote for it.

I would support the move to 14 teams to pave the way for a transition to 16 or 18 teams in the future. It is far from perfect but a move in the right direction.

The naive faith that extra matches against the OF will bail out the SPL is not bourne out by reality. 13,000 at Ibrox for an all-SPL cup tie (2nd v 4th) last night says it all.

The OF fans are not travelling to away matches in the same numbers as in years gone past. The silly kick off times for such matches does not help. Take away the visiting support and the attendance at ER for OF matches is probably no more than average. I can't even raise the enthusiasm to go to the Celtic match on Saturday even though I have a season ticket.

A move to 10 team SPL (or even a retention of 12 teams) would probably finish things off for me. Starting the season in June and shutting down in January will not help either.

Blog Entries
    i'm assuming that the idea with 10 / 10 set up is to increase the total pot of cash by having 20 teams featured as being 'SPL' on a sliding scale of position....

People should realise that quoting what the OF get is spurious as it based on then finishing 1/2...if Hearts were to finish 2nd one of them would only get 3rd place cash

Quote Originally Posted by WindyMiller View Post
    ATM, the teams finishing in the top 2 places get around 33% of the pot, IIRC.
    From the SPL handbook

“The Basic Facility Fee Pool”, 48% of the Net Commercial Revenues, which shall be shared equally amongst the Clubs participating in the League during the Season in question; and “The Supplementary Facility Fee Pool”, 52% of the Net Commercial Revenues, which shall be paid to the Clubs participating in the League during the Season in question in accordance with their respective league positions at the end of that Season.

No...badly written by me.

As I understand it the proposal sees the uglies get 35% of tv revenue with the other 18 sharing the remaining 65%.
    Cheers guys. 30 odd percent is bad enough!

Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    As things stand there will be no change. The SPL leadership have tried to 'bounce' this one through despite the fact that only six or seven of the 12 are prepared to vote for it.o

I would support the move to 14 teams to pave the way for a transition to 16 or 18 teams in the future. It is far from perfect but a move in the right direction.

The naive faith that extra matches against the OF will bail out the SPL is not bourne out by reality. 13,000 at Ibrox for an all-SPL cup tie (2nd v 4th) last night says it all.

The OF fans are not travelling to away matches in the same numbers as in years gone past. The silly kick off times for such matches does not help. Take away the visiting support and the attendance at ER for OF matches is probably no more than average. I can't even raise the enthusiasm to go to the Celtic match on Saturday even though I have a season ticket.

A move to 10 team SPL (or even a retention of 12 teams) would probably finish things off for me. Starting the season in June and shutting down in January will not help either.

Agree with what you write.
    Have had enough of this playing each other four times a season lark
    Re the attendance last night : to be fair it was an atrocious night , game was on telly and nearly 40% of Rankers ST holders live outwith Scotland and wouldn't travel for a Monday game .
    Once again " TV money rules "

@hibs.net private member greenginger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I don't like that 14 team format at all, I'd prefer the 10 team league to that.

We're miserable enough without being stuck with the last 12 games of the season being home and away games with the rest of the dregs of the league. Attendances would be shocking.

A " Best of the rest " shield with some decent money as a prize for the top of the bottom tier might just make it a little bit interesting.

The 10 team league will definitely go ahead-this is all about hammering out a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by jdships View Post
    Agree with what you write.
    Have had enough of this playing each other four times a season lark
    Re the attendance last night : to be fair it was an atrocious night , game was on telly and nearly 40% of Rankers ST holders live outwith Scotland and wouldn't travel for a Monday game .
    Once again " TV money rules "
    For some clubs the prize pool money makes up half the total revenue so it's not surprising they want to keep TVon side.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    The 10 team league will definitely go ahead-this is all about hammering out a deal.
    Disagree. The 14 team compromise will win the day. TV Old Firm games remain and there is breathing space in the relegation stakes to blood youngsters.
    Also fans looking to reduce gate income by an even larger league and not playing a possible times are not really thinking this through and not living in the real harsh economic world IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Disagree. The 14 team compromise will win the day. TV Old Firm games remain and there is breathing space in the relegation stakes to blood youngsters.
    Also fans looking to reduce gate income by an even larger league and not playing a possible times are not really thinking this through and not living in the real harsh economic world IMO.
    A 14 team league with some sort of split will lead to -either 1 team missing a game each week-or a bottom 8 with plenty of meaningless games I'm afraid.Get back to 10 and have someone else winning the league for a change-like last time.

From the SPL handbook

Having trouble finding the SPL Handbook online - can anyone point me in the right direction.
    I would be interested to know how "net commercial revenues" are calculated. If payments for number of TV appearances are deducted to arrive at the "net", then the Old Firm will get a far bigger overall % than the 32% above because they are on TV all the time. The same applies if TV companies pay money direct to clubs appearing on TV that doesnt go into the SPL pot.

Non OF club strategy seems to be to pick up what cash dregs they can from TV deals that include the OF.......knowing the OF will of course leave the SPL first chance they get. Doesnt seem like a good plan to me.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    A 14 team league with some sort of split will lead to -either 1 team missing a game each week-or a bottom 8 with plenty of meaningless games I'm afraid.Get back to 10 and have someone else winning the league for a change-like last time.
    There are Clubs who are in the SPL who are regularly in the bottom six fihting relegation and Clubs who have been down the 1st division. They won't vote for a ten team set up as it would be financial suicide for them as we would lose two places in the SPL. Some have already said they wont vote for it. It wont happen there needs to be an 11-1 vote. The bigger 14 team set up ticks the boxes and allows two clubs from the 1st division to make the step up.

Quote Originally Posted by PolmontHibby View Post
    Having trouble finding the SPL Handbook online - can anyone point me in the right direction.
    I would be interested to know how "net commercial revenues" are calculated. If payments for number of TV appearances are deducted to arrive at the "net", then the Old Firm will get a far bigger overall % than the 32% above because they are on TV all the time. The same applies if TV companies pay money direct to clubs appearing on TV that doesnt go into the SPL pot.

Non OF club strategy seems to be to pick up what cash dregs they can from TV deals that include the OF.......knowing the OF will of course leave the SPL first chance they get. Doesnt seem like a good plan to me.
    The number of times teams are on the box in an SPL game has nothing to do with the amount of a payment.There are payments for cup games to individual teams.

Left by mutual consent!
    From the SPL handbook

Anyone know what the % split in the English Premier League is? Or the Championship?

Quote Originally Posted by PolmontHibby View Post

Found it - was getting blocked by work filter.