hibs.net Messageboard

When the managers time is up. (David James article)

Apologies if this has been posted. But some interesting point made by David James re when the managers time is up:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/b...ed-david-james

2. Log in to remove the advert

Good article. ive got a lot of time for David James.

The comment about likeability is quite revealing. It should be that players just do what they are told by the boss, the same way as most people do in their jobs. Football isnt like that anymore, players hold so much more power than they used to and managers need to play a diplomatic game. Thats what did for Collins of course.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good article. ive got a lot of time for David James.

The comment about likeability is quite revealing. It should be that players just do what they are told by the boss, the same way as most people do in their jobs. Football isnt like that anymore, players hold so much more power than they used to and managers need to play a diplomatic game. Thats what did for Collins of course.
    I think a workplace functions much better if there is at least a positive relationship between boss and staff however, if everyone hates the guy I doubt things would ever be as productive, staff retention drops etc.

But yeah, I think it's maybe gone a little too far in football.

This bit interested me...

To most of us, though, winning is the most important thing, no matter your feelings about the manager. Where that principle comes into conflict is when you are given a set of orders to follow and you know that they are completely inept. Do you disobey your chain of command, or follow orders that lead to disaster?
    Wonder how much of that we've had at ER over the recent years...

Testimonial Due
    I think any manager in any work situation need to have his team sold on the mission play. Very much so in a sport where 2 or 3 elements can play havoc with performance.

The current bunch bar a few got a lucky fourth spot and showed they could play on their day. Trouble is they are probably not good enought to maintain performance levels and to some degree losing our other 20 goal potential striker did not help for this year. Its possibly not worth debating why we are where we are because its too late. Rodders had a lot of fans when he was cashing in but like anything when you do something like that without a good plan B you end up with egg on your face. I would agree that CC could be lucky long term. lets hope he has a plan .......

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    In context though talking about the premiership of course the players wield power the decent ones it will be VERY interesting to see what happens to the dynamic in the next couple of years as the cost cutting bites will Joe public be as supportive of the players when they are struggling to pay the bills. Even if they are supportive might not mean they can afford to attend the matches which tv aside pays the wages