hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

The Board Have To Back Their Appointment

I've no idea whether CC is the right man or not. Results since his appointment have been dreadful. I thought and expected that out of that shower he would have got better out of them. However, its obvious that there are REAL attitude problems from the MAJORITY of our players. So what hope has any Manager when the majority are soon out of contract?

One things for sure and that's that the Board of our club thought Colin Calderwood was the right man for the job. Having dismissed John Hughes because of our dreadful run of results and form they knew it was a very important appointment. Apparently they were flooded with applications. They took their time apparently paid Newcastle United a six figure sum and appointed CC.

So why did they appoint him? Was it that they expected him to be some kind of miracle worker turning around a horrendous sequence of results and performances with the same bunch of soon to be out of contract players?

If they did they are bonkers. And my pro board friends will be pleased to learn that no i don't think that they are actually 'bonkers'.

So they MUST have appointed him knowing and with a view to HUGE turnover in personnel. They MUST have appointed him having been sold his idea and vision in how he would undertake this process. The contacts and targets he would have in mind etc etc.

Now of course with the majority of this SHOWER they are unfortunately under contract until the summer.

So the plan was probably 'Make do best you can with what you've got' until the summer.

IF it was then it's seriously time to tear up that plan.

Things have changed. We are far worse than what we thought that we were when sacking Hughes (Though some of us were pointing out in the summer that there had been a trend of Jan-May results of RELEGATION). The gravity of our position must not and can not be underestimated.

Yesterday's performance was proof that we are better than nobody in the SPL.

We can't just say "Well thankfully St Mirren and Hamilton are equally as bad". Yes they probably are.

But i doubt they have a mentality of our lot. They knew before a ball was kicked what their season was likely to be. They have a squad equipped and shaped around it....

Think about it. If you are Danny Lennon or Billy Reid do you want a Hibs or Inverness in the mix? Hibs every time. Because the pressure is all on Hibs. They are NOT prepared for it. The fans can't cope with it. The pressure becomes unbearable. And with our SHOWER of half hearted so and so's soon out of contract they'll certainly not cope with it.

And it's time to accept that we are where we are. We ARE in the RELEGATION mix. We have a shower with the wrong mentality. All looking beyond the summer. We are frail and exposed at the back. Particularly at full back.

In midfield we have slow players pulling out of balls 60:40 in OUR favour. No creativity.

Up front we are impotent. Unless Derek does something amazing we never look like scoring a goal.

So Plan B needs to come into play NOW. We can't take the risk on waiting for the summer because we simply can't trust this SHOWER.

Yesterday i concluded that we have a small group of players we can have any faith with. They are in no particular order;

Brown
    Wotherspoon
    Hanlon
    Dickoh
    Murray (however, sadly his legs are fast going..)
    Zouma
    Riordan
    Duffy (though to early to tell)

Won't be easy but we need to fast find a left back (a kid isn't the solution where we are) and a couple of midfielders minimum. One with real ball winning abilities and hopefully a bit of presence. The other a bit more creative.

And up front a goalscorer in a Killen type mould.

Should the Board not adapt and change their course they might get away with it. One hell of a gamble though and at the end of it there will still be huge discontent within the support unprepared to renew season tickets.

And their latest managerial appointment lingering on. Just...

The board must back their appointment. Now. Pay off those that need to go if we can or tell them they are finished until the summer. No training with the first team and no games.

And bring in players wanted by their appointment.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    This might surprise you

Great post.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

What position does Plan B play? will he give up his rapping career?

Excellent post Smurf. Well thought out points.

Best thing I've read on here in ages

Left by mutual consent!
    If the players are happy with their lot and have no ambition about them, then there's no need for them to try very hard.

All that happens at Hibs is the manager gets sacked. New manager comes in, he can't do much other than mess about with the playing staff already on board. Results don't improve, the fans get restless, the only target available where things might change if they complain enough is the manager, before too long the manager gets sacked. New manager comes in, he can't do much other than mess about with the playing staff already on board. Results don't improve, the fans get restless, the only target available where things might change if they complain enough is the manager, before too long the manager gets sacked. New manager comes in, he can't do much other than mess about with the playing staff already on board. Results don't improve, the fans get restless, the only target available where things might change if they complain enough is the manager, before too long the manager gets sacked.

A pattern does emerge

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by smurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've no idea whether CC is the right man or not. Results since his appointment have been dreadful. I thought and expected that out of that shower he would have got better out of them. However, its obvious that there are REAL attitude problems from the MAJORITY of our players. So what hope has any Manager when the majority are soon out of contract?

One things for sure and that's that the Board of our club thought Colin Calderwood was the right man for the job. Having dismissed John Hughes because of our dreadful run of results and form they knew it was a very important appointment. Apparently they were flooded with applications. They took their time apparently paid Newcastle United a six figure sum and appointed CC.

So why did they appoint him? Was it that they expected him to be some kind of miracle worker turning around a horrendous sequence of results and performances with the same bunch of soon to be out of contract players?

If they did they are bonkers. And my pro board friends will be pleased to learn that no i don't think that they are actually 'bonkers'.

So they MUST have appointed him knowing and with a view to HUGE turnover in personnel. They MUST have appointed him having been sold his idea and vision in how he would undertake this process. The contacts and targets he would have in mind etc etc.

Now of course with the majority of this SHOWER they are unfortunately under contract until the summer.

So the plan was probably 'Make do best you can with what you've got' until the summer.

Things have changed. We are far worse than what we thought that we were when sacking Hughes (Though some of us were pointing out in the summer that there had been a trend of Jan-May results of RELEGATION). The gravity of our position must not and can not be underestimated.

We can't just say "Well thankfully St Mirren and Hamilton are equally as bad". Yes they probably are.

But i doubt they have a mentality of our lot. They knew before a ball was kicked what their season was likely to be. They have a squad equipped and shaped around it....

Think about it. If you are Danny Lennon or Billy Reid do you want a Hibs or Inverness in the mix? Hibs every time. Because the pressure is all on Hibs. They are NOT prepared for it. The fans can't cope with it. The pressure becomes unbearable. And with our SHOWER of half hearted so and so's soon out of contract they'll certainly not cope with it.

And it's time to accept that we are where we are. We ARE in the RELEGATION mix. We have a shower with the wrong mentality. All looking beyond the summer. We are frail and exposed at the back. Particularly at full back.

In midfield we have slow players pulling out of balls 60:40 in OUR favour. No creativity.

Up front we are impotent. Unless Derek does something amazing we never look like scoring a goal.

So Plan B needs to come into play NOW. We can't take the risk on waiting for the summer because we simply can't trust this SHOWER.

Yesterday i concluded that we have a small group of players we can have any faith with. They are in no particular order;

Brown
    Wotherspoon
    Hanlon
    Dickoh
    Zouma
    Riordan

Won't be easy but we need to fast find a left back (a kid isn't the solution where we are) and a couple of midfielders minimum. One with real ball winning abilities and hopefully a bit of presence. The other a bit more creative.

Should the Board not adapt and change their course they might get away with it. One hell of a gamble though and at the end of it there will still be huge discontent within the support unprepared to renew season tickets.

The board must back their appointment. Now. Pay off those that need to go if we can or tell them they are finished until the summer. No training with the first team and no games.

Correct they were flooded with applications,103/105 I think,however none came from CC, so why did he not apply for the Hibs job?

And why was there noone suitable from the 100+ ?

Was DA foisted upon CC, a man he didnt know and had never worked with?

Not sure when he sold them his "vision" maybe it was when he failed to get the job last time!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

Brown
    Wotherspoon
    Hanlon
    Dickoh
    Zouma
    Riordan

Agree with that.

Well thus far we are a week into the window, so lets see what happens this month.

The Board backed the last two managers with significant funds, I have little doubt CC will receive the same.

However, I don't want to see us sign players for the hell of it, that sort of situation is why we are where we are now. If we have to wait to get the right player then I'd rather wait, than give deals to lesser options.

I'd be perfectly happy with a few loans in this month to be honest, ahead of the big job in the summer.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    I have just said similar myself on another thread but with a pretty harsh critique of CC's performance thus far: -

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    I am a level headed supporter who has backed every manager we have ever had, and supported the board's business plan until now - however...

We need to face up to reality, and fast - if we carry on the way we are going, and there is not a dramatic improvement, we will be relegated. We have not beaten a bottom 6 team all season, and the only way to get out of our position is to beat the teams around us. The other teams surrounding us know how to pick up points to survive, and our only other hope - Aberdeen - will not look back after doing what we should've done and appointed Brown and Knox. Let's see how many points they finish above us at the end of the season.

I almost bored myself arguing the case for appointing Brown before Calderwood arrived, but unless we were the team that Brown turned down (which I find almost impossible to believe), we have made a HUGE error. Appointing CB and AK was as close to a no brainer as you can get for a managerial appointment, which are almost always a risk. The experience and knowledge that they would have brought, along with great contacts, an appealing style of football, and a phenomenal win rate at Motherwell, would have had us climbing up the league way before now, I'm positive of that. CB has won more games in his first 4 than Calderwood has managed as yet. And if we did pay compensation for CC and DA when Brown and Knox were working without contracts, that's even harder to swallow.

As a realistic, level headed supporter I do not expect miracles from Calderwood, but I would hope by now to see some tangible improvement in results (most importantly) and performances - but there is absolutely no doubt that we are getting worse. We know the players aren't great, but we do NOT have the worst squad in the league, or even come close to it - so keeping this group of players in the league until the mass clearout in the summer should not be too difficult a task. Alas it is looking beyond Calderwood at the moment. We are not good enough to go and beat teams, we are not even good enough to shut a game down and try to nick points - it's unbelievable to think that CC managed a team to 25 clean sheets in a season. To start his tenure with 3 defeats against Aberdeen, Utd and Hearts, and then to begin the next round of fixtures with 1 point out of the 9 (against a Utd team who had barely kicked a ball in weeks), shows how little positive impact he has had (never mind the fact that Aberdeen were in shocking form before their first win, then had 7 defeats in a row prior to beating us again).

Yes the board must accept responsibility too. This transfer window is the ONLY chance we have to save our season, and we cannot afford to wait until the last hours of January 31st to do business - in the first week we have brought in no one and another 2 games have passed, with no win and no goals. The fact that we have sold one of our most important players during that time is absurd. We need 2 or 3 players who can come straight into our first team now, and if that means paying over the odds to get them, so be it. Our new stand (which I still support the building of) will look really stupid when we are in the first division.

In conclusion, action must be taken immediately to bring players in. If that is done and there is still no improvement, drastic steps MUST be taken. Would we look stupid if we sacked Calderwood after such a small length of time? Yes. Would it matter a **** if it kept us in the SPL? No ****ing way.

Reality is kicking our door in and we must respond.
    We MUST allow him to bring in 3 players who will come in the first team immediately and help us pick up points and win games - not just for our survival this season, but also so we know who we are entrusting the biggest ever rebuilding job at Hibs to. We need to know that CC has an eye for a player before he brings in around 16 in the summer. I need to see some signs from him this season that he is the man for the job.

We are in a financial position to do so, it must happen, and happen now - not in the later hours of Jan 31.

Quote Originally Posted by clerriehibs View Post
    If the players are happy with their lot and have no ambition about them, then there's no need for them to try very hard.

All that happens at Hibs is the manager gets sacked. New manager comes in, he can't do much other than mess about with the playing staff already on board. Results don't improve, the fans get restless, the only target available where things might change if they complain enough is the manager, before too long the manager gets sacked. New manager comes in, he can't do much other than mess about with the playing staff already on board. Results don't improve, the fans get restless, the only target available where things might change if they complain enough is the manager, before too long the manager gets sacked. New manager comes in, he can't do much other than mess about with the playing staff already on board. Results don't improve, the fans get restless, the only target available where things might change if they complain enough is the manager, before too long the manager gets sacked.

A pattern does emerge
    Bang on Correct.

Yogi took us to 4th and Europe - FACT, results/form was very poor - FACT, yogi said from very early in his reign that he wanted to change things around and that the summer of 2011 was the time that that could happen becuase of the contractual status of thhis group of under performers - FACT

the board has no balls, have not properly supported any of our managers and when the fans start to get restless they crumble.

PETRIE AND LINDSAY OUT

Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    Well thus far we are a week into the window, so lets see what happens this month.

The Board backed the last two managers with significant funds, I have little doubt CC will receive the same.

However, I don't want to see us sign players for the hell of it, that sort of situation is why we are where we are now. If we have to wait to get the right player then I'd rather wait, than give deals to lesser options.

I'd be perfectly happy with a few loans in this month to be honest, ahead of the big job in the summer.
    But what interest do loans have in keeping Hibs up? We have Grounds on loan for example - not good enough, not interested IMHO.

Surely it would be better to buy two players now, minimum, who will form the nucleus of our team for next season, and who will help keep us up.

No time left for fiddling while Rome burns.

The extensive backing previous managers have been given has given us this team that's now at rock bottom. Everyone agrees it's quality not quantity. Where is this 'quality??

Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Hibee View Post
    Bang on Correct.

Yogi took us to 4th and Europe - FACT, results/form was very poor - FACT, yogi said from very early in his reign that he wanted to change things around and that the summer of 2011 was the time that that could happen becuase of the contractual status of thhis group of under performers - FACT

the board has no balls, have not properly supported any of our managers and when the fans start to get restless they crumble.

PETRIE AND LINDSAY OUT
    But when people start staying away because they blame said manager, what are they supposed to do?

Secondly, our managers haven't been blameless, and there's been a huge turnover in players in recent years, must be the best part of 30 new guys coming in under Mixu and Hughes. Our players are lazy and seem to get worse the longer they are here, the constants in that are the coaches working with them, how long have Stevenson and co been in their positions? That hardly any of our players can string two bloody passes together leads me to seriously question their abilities.

Thirdly, your agreeing with someone who is blaming the players, and us for overreacting and pushing out managers by saying we should push out Petrie and Lindsay!

Quote Originally Posted by Cropley10 View Post
    But what interest do loans have in keeping Hibs up? We have Grounds on loan for example - not good enough, not interested IMHO.

Surely it would be better to buy two players now, minimum, who will form the nucleus of our team for next season, and who will help keep us up.

No time left for fiddling while Rome burns.

The extensive backing previous managers have been given has given us this team that's now at rock bottom. Everyone agrees it's quality not quantity. Where is this 'quality??
    What interest do players who could always bitch and moan till they get themselves sold have in keeping us up?

Given our record of signing players in the last few years, what makes you think buying two players now will make any difference? Obviously, should CC identify two players (or 3, or 1 or whatever) that would make the difference that could be bought, then fine, but it makes no difference to me.

My point was that we shouldn't simply throw cash around in a panic, then end up with more deadwood hoovering up cash for a few years that we can't get shot of.

Plenty other clubs loan players in with great success, so to say any loanee wouldn't be bothered and wouldn't try is a nonsense. Motherwell for example have done well out of it recently, and secondly, we may be able to secure a better quality of player on loan than we could afford to buy. It all depends on CC's contacts.

What interest do players who could always bitch and moan till they get themselves sold have in keeping us up?

Given our record of signing players in the last few years, what makes you think buying two players now will make any difference? Obviously, should CC identify two players (or 3, or 1 or whatever) that would make the difference that could be bought, then fine, but it makes no difference to me.

My point was that we shouldn't simply throw cash around in a panic, then end up with more deadwood hoovering up cash for a few years that we can't get shot of.

Plenty other clubs loan players in with great success, so to say any loanee wouldn't be bothered and wouldn't try is a nonsense. Motherwell for example have done well out of it recently, and secondly, we may be able to secure a better quality of player on loan than we could afford to buy. It all depends on CC's contacts.
    Players on loan have a job to go back to when it all goes Pete Tong.

Buy quality not quantity in this window, make them the nucleus of the team, or we only have do exactly the same thing in May/June. Surely it's a false economy to avoid putting the very same thing off till then - which seems to be what you're saying re not 'splashing the cash'.

Or record at loaning in is abysmal. Almost pointless.

Pretty much agree with all of the OP but January is a notoriously difficult time to get in the players you want/need. What kind of team is going to sell a player (of good enough quality to make a significant difference to Hibs) midway through the season, at a price we can realistically afford. Panic signings at this time of year tend to be of the Zarabi variety. I think it's a case of hoping CC can pull a rabbit out of the hat, while gambling that Duffy and Zemmama make a big difference when fit. Hopefully we survive and can rebuild properly in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cropley10 View Post
    Players on loan have a job to go back to when it all goes Pete Tong.

Buy quality not quantity in this window, make them the nucleus of the team, or we only have do exactly the same thing in May/June. Surely it's a false economy to avoid putting the very same thing off till then - which seems to be what you're saying re not 'splashing the cash'.

Or record at loaning in is abysmal. Almost pointless.
    Well I'd rather that if we were investing significant amounts of cash, we take as much time as possible to be sure it is done right.

I'd love us to bring in two top notch players, but can we? On paper Liam Miller should be our best player by a mile, and costs us a big wage, yet he is mince more often than not. That kind of situation is something we simply can't afford.

Yes, loan players have a job to go back to, but how they do here could well make or break their careers at the club they are at. Sure, ideally we bring in some great players of our own, but if we can't do that (because after all, just deciding we want to buy new players doesn't mean it will happen) then loaning in some strikes me as a much better option than taking a punt on signing guys who weren't our first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Hibee View Post
    Bang on Correct.

I'd like to see that direct quote from when Yogi was manager; I don't recall it.

He has said it since leaving of course, by means of self-justification.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar

Brown
    Wotherspoon
    Hanlon
    Dickoh
    Zouma
    Riordan

Smurf you will get no argument from me on the basis of that post other than the players listed. Do not forget that all of them featured yesterday and were at best poor against a team two leauges lower. If Calderwood could get more out of most of them he would have done it. Rip it up and start again in the Summer for me after doing enough to stay up. If I thought telling every player that was out of contract in the summer to just go now and take the hit on their wages till their contract was up whilst replacing the lot of them then it would be a price worth paying. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on your point of view signing players on longer term contracts in the January window isn't the best. Two or three loans or short term deals to see us stay up and get on with the cull and rebuilding come June.

@hibs.net private member
    You might want to sit down Smurf but that is a good post. .

The only thing I would add is that we dont know the board are NOT backing him. We have no idea if we have tried to sign five players or none at all. And if we have been knocked back for whatever reason do we wait and try again or do we go for another target but not as good?

Brown
    Wotherspoon
    Hanlon
    Dickoh
    Zouma
    Riordan

CC was in the paper this week complaining that the spate of manager changes in England has thwarted some attempts at getting players in already...

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    CC was in the paper this week complaining that the spate of manager changes in England has thwarted some attempts at getting players in already...
    Now, if this had been posted earlier, it would have saved an awful lot of uninformed posting, half-truths, spleen-venting and attempted suicides.

Lest I get accused of being a Happy Slapper, or whatever it is these days.....SOURCE??

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Now, if this had been posted earlier, it would have saved an awful lot of uninformed posting, half-truths, spleen-venting and attempted suicides.

Lest I get accused of being a Happy Slapper, or whatever it is these days.....SOURCE??
    Read it in the Metro on the train one day this week, I forget which haha but either Wednesday, Thursday or Friday

Brown
    Wotherspoon
    Hanlon
    Dickoh
    Zouma
    Riordan

Good post

As a general rule, the quality players that Hibs need are simply not available in this window. Why would they be? If they are quality and not in their club's plans, then that club is probably playing at a much higher level than Hibs and the players in question would therefore command big salaries.

Loans are a good option, but Hibs have also got to start blooding our own youngsters. Spoony and Hanlon are two of our better players and there may be more like them waiting to be given a chance. The least that youngsters bring to the team is enthusiasm, which we are badly lacking at the moment.

The squad

Quote Originally Posted by BEEJ View Post
    I'd like to see that direct quote from when Yogi was manager; I don't recall it.

YOGI had stated in a number of times in the media that the job was a long term project.

THE FACT THE CLUB HAD ABOUT 16 PLAYERS OUT CONTRACT AND NO WORD FROM CLUB ABOUT CONTRACT TALKS SPEAKS VOLUMES.

PLAYERS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

We should supported YOGI and let built own team, yes we bad run but after 6 games or so is a disgrace.

Watching Hibs now kicking the ball up the park with no game plan is horrible.
    At least YOGI teams tried to play passing football.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Belter View Post
    YOGI had stated in a number of times in the media that the job was a long term project.

THE FACT THE CLUB HAD ABOUT 16 PLAYERS OUT CONTRACT AND NO WORD FROM CLUB ABOUT CONTRACT TALKS SPEAKS VOLUMES.

PLAYERS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

We should supported YOGI and let built own team, yes we bad run but after 6 games or so is a disgrace.

Watching Hibs now kicking the ball up the park with no game plan is horrible.
    At least YOGI teams tried to play passing football.
    Mr Belter I dont know what games you have taken in over the llast seson and a half but football rarely entered the minds of fans leaving the games. The odd flash but that was about it. Tactics mainly consisted of lumoing the ball up to Nish who even then fell on his erse. Very few execeptions to this during games.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BEEJ View Post

I'm pretty sure both him and Rod both said as much when questioned on the subject of contracts and short-ish term loans.

Yogi signed a fair few players in his time here, so lets not think of him having to struggle by with someone elses squad.

Hughes and Mixu spent more money than any Hibs manager since McLeish.

Not even gona attempt to read the op in full or any other but as far as im concerned the title of the post said all that needs to be said

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875

Brown
    Wotherspoon
    Hanlon
    Dickoh
    Zouma
    Riordan

well said