hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Embarrassment

Embarrassment

I was just wondering how many of our lauded superstars will look at the league table and cringe. Probably only the Hibbys in the squad. 17 points behind after 15 games what an absolute f****n disgrace. Roll on the clear out.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Superstars?? ...don't think anyone believes we have any of those on the books.

Coaching Staff
    I only ever worry or concern myself with Hibernian. What other clubs do, or where Hearts are in the league never really concerns me greatly. Seems to me far too many Hibs fans spend their time worrying about them than our club.......bizarre.

With humility and a wee touch good grace, Hearts are a good team this season and deserve their position in the league. We deserve our place. All thanks to Mr John Hughes IMHO.

Next season my friend we will be in a far far healthier position and you can get back to worrying all things Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Hearts are in the same position as we were last season at this time. That's all - stop getting your knickers in a twist.

Quote Originally Posted by Toaods View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Superstars?? ...don't think anyone believes we have any of those on the books.

And certainly not lauded ones.

I only care about where Hibs are in the league, I certainly don't feel any sense of embarrassment when comparing our club to that classless institution.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post

I only care about where Hibs are in the league, I certainly don't feel any sense of embarrassment when comparing our club to that classless institution.

What I find way more embarrassing is all these posts where folk are saying they are embarrassed.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    I only ever worry or concern myself with Hibernian. What other clubs do, or where Hearts are in the league never really concerns me greatly. Seems to me far too many Hibs fans spend their time worrying about them than our club.......bizarre.

With humility and a wee touch good grace, Hearts are a good team this season and deserve their position in the league. We deserve our place. All thanks to Mr John Hughes IMHO.

Next season my friend we will be in a far far healthier position and you can get back to worrying all things Hibs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Hearts are in the same position as we were last season at this time. That's all - stop getting your knickers in a twist.
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post

Indeed ..

I think we have to win on ne'erday to save our season or it will be embarassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage East View Post
    I think we have to win on ne'erday to save our season or it will be embarassing.
    Thats an uphill task ..not impossible by any means but with this current team & lack of goalscorers then i wouldnae have my confident hat on ..

Coaching Staff
    We went to Ibrox and beat the league leaders 3-0 after a run of four defeats........anything is possible in football. Of course we can go there and win.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    We've a game in hand mind ;)

We went to Ibrox and beat the league leaders 3-0 after a run of four defeats........anything is possible in football. Of course we can go there and win.
    Im no saying we cant ..im saying i aint confident ..how many were confident o pulling off a win at Ibrox ..?

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    No need to be embarrassed.

We are a team in transition. Results will improve once our new team is in place and is given time to settle.

Hearts went through this last season.

Despite what people would have you believe, Celtic and Rangers have actually improved on last season when Rangers ended up 24 points clear of third place.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

I suppose though its games like the one ahead at Ramshackle that upset the form books ...just like the yams "unbeatable" run was rammed right up their asses by Garry O ...

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar

Hopefully. But while I'm not obsessed with hearts like some on here I do find it extremely depressing that they are 3 points behind celtc and all these points ahead of us. Especially when some experts on here have been continually telling us for the last 5 years that they're going out of business.

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Hopefully. But while I'm not obsessed with hearts like some on here I do find it extremely depressing that they are 3 points behind celtc and all these points ahead of us. Especially when some experts on here have been continually telling us for the last 5 years that they're going out of business.
    Myth

they pretty much always finish higher than us, so nothing new this season.

we're generally a tippy tappy spineless shower of crap, with the odd high.
    and a complete myth that we are a club that play flair football.

still 100% happy I'm a hibby though !!!

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig_in_Prague View Post
    they pretty much always finish higher than us, so nothing new this season.

we're generally a tippy tappy spineless shower of crap, with the odd high.
    and a complete myth that we are a club that play flair football.

still 100% happy I'm a hibby though !!!
    Except 2 out of the last 3 seasons when they didn't.

Why do Hibs fans always ***** themselves silly whenever Hearts win a few games? The same happened last year when they ate into the massive lead that Hibs had built up. Its not a pretty sight.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post
    Except 2 out of the last 3 seasons when they didn't.

Why do Hibs fans always ***** themselves silly whenever Hearts win a few games? The same happened last year when they ate into the massive lead that Hibs had built up. Its not a pretty sight.
    Very true.

Hearts are still heavily speculating to accumulate. They continue to pay high salaries......better money means better players. They have better players. It's that simple. Nothing to get worked up about or excited about. If that's the way they want to go, it's their strategy.....let them get on with it.

I think in Templeton in particular they have a £2 million pound youngster on their hands.......the impact he has made is superb. Wallace is in the same bracket, and you have to say that they have value all over the pitch at present. But again, it all boils down to money.

Our policy and strategy is to not overspend and to break even season in, season out. We will never ever match their capability salary wise......that is a given. Therefore we will never be able to get the players that both sides are keen on.

In a bizarre sense, we are in a very strong position bargaining wise given most of our current squad are out of contract. Hibs now do not actively need to get rid of, or sell, or force out of the club (not that we would). The players have put themselves in the unenviable position where their very livelihoods are on the line because of their poor form. We are not a charitable organisation.....many will now find out the ruthless nature of football. And that is what Hibernian must become to succeed. Ruthless.

We now have the chance, in summer, to put together and develop a football club with more desire, skill, pace and energy. We also have a management team who have a fantastic approach to fitness, discipline and man management. There will be no slackers at the club IMHO.

So rather than worry about opposition teams and their form, I honestly think we are in for some exciting times with CC at the helm, and a far stronger club on and off the pitch.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
    I was just wondering how many of our lauded superstars will look at the league table and cringe.
    Maybe you've been (on the) laudin 'em. Mostly on here they've been berated, abused, vilified, traduced, scapegoated, etc.

@hibs.net private member

What other clubs are doing should be concerning, and should be looked at. If we are improving next season but all the other clubs are improving faster then we arent doing enough. If we are not as good as our rivals we may become a less attractive club to play football for.

People always come out with the line about not caring about how hearts are doing and only focussing on how hibs are doing when Hearts are better than us. When we are better than them hardly anyone comes out with 'lets just concern ourselves with what we are doing' You need to know how the opposition is doing to be better than them.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs13681 View Post
    What other clubs are doing should be concerning, and should be looked at. If we are improving next season but all the other clubs are improving faster then we arent doing enough. If we are not as good as our rivals we may become a less attractive club to play football for.

People always come out with the line about not caring about how hearts are doing and only focussing on how hibs are doing when Hearts are better than us. When we are better than them hardly anyone comes out with 'lets just concern ourselves with what we are doing' You need to know how the opposition is doing to be better than them.
    I don't think for one minute that Colin Calderwood gets anxious or concerned about what Hearts or any other club are doing on or off the pitch.......only when we are to play them will he concern himself of what's required to beat them and get 3 points.

I think you are over complicating a game which is really quite simple.

Should we be looking at Hearts and modelling our financial structure or infrastructure on their's ?

Should we be doing what Rangers have done and overspent, been at the brink of administration (or at least at the beck and call of Lloyds) ?

Should we be like Celtic and go against the SFA and SPL ?

Should we be like Motherwell and have no real infrastructure and be solely dependant on one man's money/financial input to survive (Craig Brown's recent commenst very very enlightening) ?

Hibernian should only ever concentrate on themselves and our collective responsibility. Having a well run football club and a good football team on the pitch for us all to enjoy and support. When we start looking around us at others, other than when we are about to play them, the focus is lost, the mind wanders, and uncertainty and negativity sets in. Every single team knows what is required to have a chance of success.....it is not rocket science. It's just a difficult climate to do it in both financially and within Scottish football and society. I don't mean to sound condescending to your point/opinion.....I just think you are wrong in what you say. There is nothing wrong with visiting the likes of Man Utd, Ajax, etc to look at training techniques and innovative coaching ideas though.

Hibs have to be ruthless and dynamic. CC has the opportunity to do that, unlike the previous managers. I am 100% confident he will succeed.

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Maybe you've been (on the) laudin 'em. Mostly on here they've been berated, abused, vilified, traduced, scapegoated, etc.
    I saw what you did there.

Hibs attacking options are worse this year than they were last year and that is having a bad affect. At the beginning of last season we had Zemmama and Stokes, both valuable attacking players. We have neither and that alone can count for the difference in league positions. Had Duffy not gotten injured even that small difference would likely have had some affect on our current position. The other side have much improved their attacking options this season and all of that accounts for switch in fortunes.

@hibs.net private member
    I don't think for one minute that Colin Calderwood gets anxious or concerned about what Hearts or any other club are doing on or off the pitch.......only when we are to play them will he concern himself of what's required to beat them and get 3 points.

Should we be looking at Hearts and modelling our financial structure or infrastructure on their's ?

Should we be doing what Rangers have done and overspent, been at the brink of administration (or at least at the beck and call of Lloyds) ?

Should we be like Motherwell and have no real infrastructure and be solely dependant on one man's money/financial input to survive (Craig Brown's recent commenst very very enlightening) ?

Hibernian should only ever concentrate on themselves and our collective responsibility. Having a well run football club and a good football team on the pitch for us all to enjoy and support. When we start looking around us at others, other than when we are about to play them, the focus is lost, the mind wanders, and uncertainty and negativity sets in. Every single team knows what is required to have a chance of success.....it is not rocket science. It's just a difficult climate to do it in both financially and within Scottish football and society. I don't mean to sound condescending to your point/opinion.....I just think you are wrong in what you say. There is nothing wrong with visiting the likes of Man Utd, Ajax, etc to look at training techniques and innovative coaching ideas though.

Hibs have to be ruthless and dynamic. CC has the opportunity to do that, unlike the previous managers. I am 100% confident he will succeed.
    Who said anything about strategy and financial plans etc? I am talking about how good their team is and what we need to do to better that. If you just looked at bettering your own team without looking at the opposition you may not improve enough. Do you think CC will accept that hearts will be better than us because they spend more and that there time will come when they cant spend anymore?

Any decent manager will weigh up the opposition, see where they are going right and wrong. CC will definately be looking at opposition to see where their strengths are. We have a lot of re building work to be done in January and in the summer, to know how much is needed you need to understand how good the opposition are.

You tailor your team and build it to a level that you think it will succeed in the league you are playing. To achieve this you need to know what level your opposition is. Think about it, you need to know how your opposition is building for the future, what players they have that look to be becoming good. If you build a team that you think will succeed without looking at the rest of the league you may fall way short as the other manager may have been working harder.

This is the same for any sport and any business to suceed you must understand what level your peers are at and better them. If you dont you may feel that you have improved, which you have done, but everyone may have improved more.

The fact is, it is complicated. You need to weigh up everything from current players, players other teams have injured still to come back, players you still have to come back. Financial situations of other clubs, players out of contract etc. All these things stack up to how good a team will be.

First Team Breakthrough cockneymike's Avatar

I actually think you're missing the point here. This season we're rubbish, and they're better and just because you choose to take the 'moral high ground' because we're well run and in the position to make significant changes for next year, does not hide the fact that this year we're rubbish, and they're better than us where it matter most - on the pitch.

Prizes are given for where you finish in the league table, and for winning cups - on this season's evidence Hearts are closer to achieving this than we are, that is not something to ignore, even if we would like to. They are our closest rivals and we should always be aware of what they're doing, when bad - because its fun and we can take the p~ss, but also when its good - so that we don't forget what the minimum standard that we need to be looking to achieve is, which is what they get +1 point.

Quote Originally Posted by ahibby View Post
    Hibs attacking options are worse this year than they were last year and that is having a bad affect. At the beginning of last season we had Zemmama and Stokes, both valuable attacking players. We have neither and that alone can count for the difference in league positions. Had Duffy not gotten injured even that small difference would likely have had some affect on our current position. The other side have much improved their attacking options this season and all of that accounts for switch in fortunes.
    Excellent point, totally agree - last season we would score goals without playing well because of the players we had, this year, other than Riordan, we can't do that. And his goals were included in last years total anyway. Last they had Nade, this year they've got some people that do score - therein lies the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by hibs13681 View Post

Exactly - they love beating us, and similarly love rubbing our noses in it - and class the Derby as their biggest game of the season...an attitude that permeates their whole club, from their madcap owner down through their manager and onto the players.

Wish I could say the same about us to be honest - we might fare a bit better against them if that were the case. I also think we should offer the players a higher than normal bonus for beating them too. Sick of playing 2nd fiddle to that shower.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ahibby View Post
    That's true - although we left ourselves way short up front at the start of the season. We only had 3 strikers to choose from Riordan, Nish and Duffy. Even then Riordan wasn't really considered as a striker under Hughes, so we really had 2 CF's with Trakys only being signed after Duffy was injured!

I don't care what anyone says i do care when Hearts are above us in the league. I wouldn't go as far as to say i'm embarassed by it but it annoys me, it's not pleasant and put simply it hurts to see them doing fairly well. They may 'only' be in the same position as we were last year but people should remember how good that felt, how much we enjoyed lording it over them and rubbing their noses in it. The feeling now is pretty much the exact opposite of that.

Put simply the only teams in Scotland who realistically should be pushing for 3rd place are Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and probably Dundee United. Out of those teams the only one up there is Hearts. This is simply not good enough. Hibs shouldn't be behind teams like Motherwell and ICT in the league. We have no divine right to be up challenging for Europe but the fact we have a far higher average attendance, fan base, transfer budget and wage budget than the 2 teams i've quoted means we should be doing a hell of a lot better than we are.

Unfortunately i think we are going to have to get used to this boring mediocrity for a bit longer. Don't get me wrong i'm happy with the appointment of Calderwood and delighted we have a real chance to get shot of some of the dead wood in the summer. However that is going to mean a lot of new faces coming in and it takes a while for a team to gel, i'd say mid table next year is again likely.

Hearts pay more money for players and to players than we do. FACT.

Hearts spend money they don't have. They spend more on wages than their turnover. They afford this by adding to their debt. FACT.

Hibs don't spend money they don't have, or at least don't pursue the same policy. FACT.

Hearts are doing better than us on the field. FACT

In other leagues, Germany and France (I think) - you are not allowed to operate at a loss and/or get in to debt, as it creates an artificial competitive advantage.

That is what Hearts have done - created an artificial competitive advantage. Why should anyone be either surprised or embarrassed by their position versus ours?

I think of it this way - we've all probably worked with people or known neighbours who were always driving new cars, wearing flashy clothes, and going on nice holidays. Yet you knew they didn't have the disposable cash to do this so must have had access to credit.

That's Hertz - they get a few thousand extra on their gate, they're not a big club, but they think they are.