hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Do you 'support' another team?

Following on from the Barcelona thread yesterday, does anyone else on here 'support' or follow the results of another team habitually?

For me i would say i'm only really a Hibs supporter but i do have a pretty strong interest in the goings on at Barcelona, i go over to see them at least twice a season and check the website and a few fans sites every day. In general i find football more enjoyable if you are supporting a team, i tend to have a favourite team in each of the big leagues around Europe. Fiorentina in Italy, Marseille in France, Barca in Spain, Werder Bremen in Germany, Sporting Lisbon in Portugal and i used to enjoy watching Man Utd in England but find i know longer enjoy the way they play a lot of the time. Even in other sports i tend to pick favourites; My American football teams is the Miami Dolphins, i always want the New Zealand cricket team to win and i like Leicester when it comes to egg chasing.

I know there are a few people quite vocal about their 'support' for Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal on here but surely i can't be the only one who still picks teams and wants them to win.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Other football team - Newcastle

Baseball team - Toronto Blue Jays

First Team Breakthrough supershotmo's Avatar
    Hibs are obviously my team but for TV viewing here are my following.

EPL - Chelsea
    German - Werder Bremen
    Spanish - Seville
    Italian - Inter

@hibs.net private member _hucks_'s Avatar
    Can't help but keep an eye out for Liverpool given that I have quite a few red mates who follow the cabbage now.
    I've also got some family down in Oxford, been along to a few Oxford Utd games so they're my lower league team so to speak.

The Hibees I would walk along the M8 on broken glass to see (that rings a bell). On TV I like watching Arsenal for the way they play (although they were pretty poor last night) but my "other team" are Nottingham Forest.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Support - Liverpool

I look out for results for Nottingham Forest.
    Last edited by SteveHFC; 14-12-2010 at 10:06 AM.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Leeds Utd are about the only other team follow
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Football is probably my 5th favourite sport, so any connections I have with teams are loose.

The only teams I "support" are mostly based in American sports (New England, Michigan, Detroit Tigers, Redwings...)

In terms of football, I enjoy watching Hibs, I keep my eyes open for the Livingston scores (went with my dad since I was around 10) and love watching Barcelona on the tele-box
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Hibs for me. Couldn't give a toss about 'supporting' an EPL side. In my opinion, folk up here who 'follow' Man U, Chelsea or Liverpool are pretty sad. There are plenty other, more local clubs who you could actively follow. There are exceptions of course, as you do get people up here who do go and watch their English team - I know a few guys from Haddy with season tickets for Newcastle, my uncle is a Hibs ST holder but attends West Ham games when he can and HibeeMcGinn pops down to Old Trafford a couple times a season.

I think it's pointless attatching yourself to a massive English club if you're never gonna watch them play. It's nearly as bad as the hundreds of thousands of OF gloryhunters in this country who have no intention of going to a game.

Yes, actively supporting Wellington Phoenix, well they are my local team these days, and when so far away from Easter Road I need my football fix

I keep an eye out for Florida Marlins scores as I've seen them live a couple of times and like to see Arsenal win purely because the missus is a life-long supporter and ex-ST holder so I've been to see them a few times and it makes my life easier if they win.

England...Man Utd and Torquay Utd (don't ask!)

France....St Etienne

Italy....Inter

Spain....Barca

Germany....Werder Bremem

Brazil.....Palmerias

I support Arsenal.

because its like watching Hibs if i was blind, deaf and so on....

Last edited by mikey1875; 14-12-2010 at 10:42 AM.

West Ham for me, footy hasnae been much fun recently!

Football is a funny thing. I suppose like others I’ve chosen clubs and stuck with them.

My family were never into football, I chose Hibs.

Through Spanish connections in the late 80s I had to make the choice between Deportivo La Coruna (2nd Division), Atletico Madrid or Real Madrid. I chose Real, who weren’t particularly brilliant at the time.

I don’t much care for any other club in any league.

My other following is Formula 1. In the early 80s I became a friend of an Irish driver, David Kennedy, who at the time was driving in a European GP series [Aurora GP series]. I went to the races held in the UK. He went on to drive in 6 full blown GPs and then back to various forms of racing around the world.

Perhaps because of this I follow drivers in F1 rather than teams. Of course every F1 follower has something to say about Ferrari and although I like/respect the personnel throughout Ferrari I just dinny like the team, thankfully none of my drivers have ever driven for them so ‘that’ choice has yet to present itself.
    Space to let

I keep an eye out for the Dynamo Dresden score, because that's where the missus is from and I've been to see them. I can't say I actually 'support' them though.

Having been to see a few other teams abroad, I don't really get the feeling of actually caring too much if they lose. Not like when I go to watch Hibs.

Only one team for me and thats Hibs.

Could not even contemplate supporting anyone else

Not that I go out of my way to see the results but I do have a favourite teams from foreign leagues.

French team is Monaco - John Collins connection.
    Italian team is Inter
    Spanish team is Real
    English team is Man Utd due to my Grandads love for Sir Alex. Although I do have a soft spot for Newcastle due to going to a few of their games over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Following on from the Barcelona thread yesterday, does anyone else on here 'support' or follow the results of another team habitually?

For me i would say i'm only really a Hibs supporter but i do have a pretty strong interest in the goings on at Barcelona, i go over to see them at least twice a season and check the website and a few fans sites every day. In general i find football more enjoyable if you are supporting a team, i tend to have a favourite team in each of the big leagues around Europe. Fiorentina in Italy, Marseille in France, Barca in Spain, Werder Bremen in Germany, Sporting Lisbon in Portugal and i used to enjoy watching Man Utd in England but find i know longer enjoy the way they play a lot of the time. Even in other sports i tend to pick favourites; My American football teams is the Miami Dolphins, i always want the New Zealand cricket team to win and i like Leicester when it comes to egg chasing.

I know there are a few people quite vocal about their 'support' for Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal on here but surely i can't be the only one who still picks teams and wants them to win.
    Disappointing any Hibs fan has any time for this club. Barcelona are the club in Europe I hate above all others (except possibly Chelsea): hypocrites in wallowing in a history of repression (though I do not dispute this happened in Catalonia) at the same time that they were members of the G14 and therefore played leading role in making European Cup later stages the virtually exclusive preserve of the bigger European leagues. Not mad on Real Madrid either but at least they do not have the same sanctimonious hypocrisy of Barcelona fans.

And a bunch of sore losers against Hibs in 1961! But as per above they got revenge by doing their best to prevent clubs like Hibs having any chance of doing the same again

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by darwenhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Only one team for me and thats Hibs.

Could not even contemplate supporting anyone else

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: yekim evol
    club football hibs will allways be number one.
    but somehow when i was a kid i ended up having a two other teams, man city (still trying to figure out how that one came about but did). also whist my friends were watching the english and spanish leagues i for no known reason prefered to watch the italian leagues and supported juventus.

I'm a board member at Leigh Genesis in the Evo-Stik (formerly UniBond) League, so I guess you could say I support them.

I used to have a season ticket at Bolton and even when I gave that up I'd go to 15-20 games a season, but I'm more of an armchair fan these days and actually go to Hibs games more than I do BWFC (6 Hibs games last year, two Bolton - three Hibs games so far this season and no BWFC!)

Probably prefer to watch rugby league over football though and only missed two Leigh Centurions games in the three past seasons, one because of work and the other because of the volcanic ash cloud when we had a game in the south of France (only two weeks after I'd been to see us play a league game in Toulouse)

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    I "support' Cologne. Lived not too far from there for a year and got given a season ticket by a mate for half a season. Went back recently and really enjoyed it despite them getting humped. Awlays watch them on telly when I can and am also helped by having a good friend who took a shine to Hibs when visiting Edinburgh who's a Cologne fan. We used to watch Hibs games in an Irish pub in Cologne and got on from then.

Only room for one team in my life.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    "Supporting" a club requires you to "support" them. Like giving them money for example!

You aren't supporting a club simply by "looking out for their results".

For me... I also support Dunfermline, as I go to their home games when Hibs aren't playing at home.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Other team - everton. Try to see them couple of times a season, watch all their tv games.

Keep an eye out for Crewe Alex results as I used to live there.

Same with borussia Dortmund as we had a lads trip over to see them a couple of years ago, so bought the scarves, pendants, etc

Look out for Man U results at HT/FT, and thats just to ensure Chelsea and City aren't top of the league. Couldn't give a **** about their results, wouldn't go to a game or buy any of their merch.

Losing interest in English fitba by the week. Taking a more keen interest in the Bundesliga these days

As I asked in another thread, is someone in Edinburgh wearing a Man U and Liverpool strip any better or worse than some**** wearing a OF top?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lofarl

Wink

Not one of you said Hibernians from Malta. Call yourself Hibees eh?

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    I look out for Luton Town results due to family in Milton Keynes. Been down there since the Dons moved in, and their stadium and facilities are superb but can't get behind them at all.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Like a few others, I have favourite teams in other countries. I've travelled a lot in Europe and tend to buy a t-shirt/scarf/strip etc for the local team from the towns I visit and usually take a trip to see their stadium if there's no game on or try to get to the game if there is.

The one team I have a lot of respect for is St Pauli in Hamburg. The ethos of the club and fans is an example to everyone. It's just a pity they have such strong links with the lesser greens. When they play, I'd estimate around 10% of their fans have Celtc tops/scarfs/hats on. They even sell Celtc merch in the club shop. Gives me the boak!!!