hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

SPL Plans Unveiled (merged)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...em/9279663.stm

We'll get nowhere fast in our country until we stop putting the cash before the product. So back to playing everyone 4 times a season.....what happened to it being boring????

Also refering to another thread, noone else will win the league if you are playing the old firm 4 times a year.

I agree with the winter break coming back and for the league to begin earlier but what about the idea of letting B teams playing in the next league down???? think that is another strange idea which will surely only benefit a handful of teams while being unfair to other teams who will be pushed out of their current league status.

to coin a phrase that big mixu loves: "time will tell!"

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    The leagues beneath the top two would be regionalised if the plans
    that bit i agree with, the rest is the same old boring pish we have put up with since i can remember

Hardly "radical" as the bbc put it

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin80 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

We'll get nowhere fast in our country until we stop putting the cash before the product. So back to playing everyone 4 times a season.....what happened to it being boring????

Also refering to another thread, noone else will win the league if you are playing the old firm 4 times a year.

I agree with the winter break coming back and for the league to begin earlier but what about the idea of letting B teams playing in the next league down???? think that is another strange idea which will surely only benefit a handful of teams while being unfair to other teams who will be pushed out of their current league status.

Think the idea of having b teams is a good idea, the teams it will benefit will be those with a good youth set up which is obviously what we need to encourage.

not a fan of playing each other 4 times a season and the problem with a winter break is when would you have it? weather can stop play anything between november and about march now, the weather here is too unpredictable, i'd rather we just went for a summer league.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Think the idea of having b teams is a good idea, the teams it will benefit will be those with a good youth set up which is obviously what we need to encourage.

not a fan of playing each other 4 times a season and the problem with a winter break is when would you have it? weather can stop play anything between november and about march now, the weather here is too unpredictable, i'd rather we just went for a summer league.
    Majority of punters in Scotland want a bigger league, so lets make it smaller. Getting fed up off these ****s running fitba.

Won't happen anyway. Nae chance Aberdeen and Hamilton are gonna vote for it this season.

The B team thing sounds a good idea. At these present times watching the B team at some of the old skool grounds seems more fun than going to Motherwell for the 546446 time in 5 seasons.
    Last edited by Antifa Hibs; 12-12-2010 at 11:59 AM.

SPL Plans Unveiled

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    same old rubbish really.

what this league needs is more teams with less fixtures against each other, are they too stupid to see this

@hibs.net private member
    A lot of thinking and talking still has to be done, but it appears Scottish football is closer to change than any time in the last decade.
    Interesting.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SKIPSTER07
    i cant believe one of the reasons qouted in a much needed league reconstruction was more time for the bigots to play money spinning friendlies
    FFS folk are bored sensless watching the same teams at least four times and we are crying out for a bit of novelty value.im convinced only playing teams once a season at home would add enough numbers to the gate to make up for umpteen Cat A games which dont exactly sell out anyway

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by degenerated View Post
    same old rubbish really.

what this league needs is more teams with less fixtures against each other, are they too stupid to see this
    I agree but suppose the logic is that if that was to happen you'd lose home games to rangers, celtic and hearts and they'd be replaced with games against the likes of dunfermline, dundee and partick, would that really be much more entertaining?

@hibs.net private member
    Backward step having a top league of 10 teams. Also unlikely that clubs are going to vote for 3 teams going down next season. That's 25% of the league getting relegated. But even higher when you take out the old firm. Can't see it happening

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Antifa Hibs View Post
    Majority of punters in Scotland want a bigger league, so lets make it smaller. Getting fed up off these ****s running fitba.

Won't happen anyway. Nae chance Aberdeen and Hamilton are gonna vote for it this season.

The B team thing sounds a good idea. At these present times watching the B team at some of the old skool grounds seems more fun than going to Motherwell for the 546446 time in 5 seasons.

Every poll I've seen on this subject suggest fans want a bigger league, will these people ever listen tae the fans or will they keep up this pish until enough fans are so bored with it they stop going.

10 teams boring

would that really be much more entertaining?
    It would make it a lot more competitive

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    "Among the other details still to be settled upon is how to revert from the current top 12 to a league of 10, with one possibility being the relegation of three teams at the end of the season prior to change, with just one coming up."

This bit will be interesting at the end of next season!!! We better get our act together soon.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SKIPSTER07
    I agree but suppose the logic is that if that was to happen you'd lose home games to rangers, celtic and hearts and they'd be replaced with games against the likes of dunfermline, dundee and partick, would that really be much more entertaining?
    i think it would.any team that are on a decent run (best of the rest)could actually mount a challenge without a fair chance of losing 24 points a season to the bigot bros

Not at all.

But Cat A games just now are 'big' games, in a larger league they would become 'massive' games.

For example, Hibs v Hearts could meet each other in August season 2011/2012, then might not meet each other until April in the 2012/2013, that would be over a year and a half for a Derby home match, dead cert to sell out, much larger TV audience etc.

Left by mutual consent!
    What a utter croc of shît..

The SPL is dead on it's feet as it is, do they really think this will improve it?!

Crowds will drop furthermore, I'd personally favour going back playing Saturday amatuer than having a season ticket..

Every club outwith the mank should vote against this..

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin80 View Post

What a bunch f*****g idiots - is Scottish Football even the slightest bit capable of learning from it's mistakes?!? We had a ten team league for the majority of the two decades between 1975 and 1995 and it was NOT popluar with the fans, players OR managers IIRC - we've been trying to get away from that set up for the last 15 years FFS!

Now this bunch of so called experts dredge up the same old drudgerous formula and try to paint it as progress

@hibs.net private member BigKev's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Antifa Hibs View Post
    Not at all.

But Cat A games just now are 'big' games, in a larger league they would become 'massive' games.

For example, Hibs v Hearts could meet each other in August season 2011/2012, then might not meet each other until April in the 2012/2013, that would be over a year and a half for a Derby home match, dead cert to sell out, much larger TV audience etc.
    I agree with this. A 16 or 18 team league would give others a chance to build decent runs and games against Hearts, Celtic and Rangers would have ER rocking again. At the moment you play one or t'other a few weeks apart and they lose a lot of the big game appeal.

@hibs.net private member GordonHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Backward step having a top league of 10 teams. Also unlikely that clubs are going to vote for 3 teams going down next season. That's 25% of the league getting relegated. But even higher when you take out the old firm. Can't see it happening
    Completely agree with this. It didn't work then and it will be equally unpopular with supporters this time round. The fact that football this time round is a business rather than a sport it will get the go ahead because there is more chance of them signing a better TV etc deal than there would be if there were 16 or 18 teams.

Football is no longer a game for the supporters but a machine for screwing the public.

Dumping 3 SPL teams in one go? I'll wager one or two would immediately hit the wall.

And then you'll have SPL2, with 3 SPL clubs joining the remaining First Division clubs, 3 of which will get punted into the regional set up for their privilege, quite possibly also hitting the wall in the process.

Surely all this would need the approval of all SFL clubs? Who are the SPL working group to tear up the entire league set up just because Rangers fancy a 10 team league?

An utter joke, a 10 team league will make the non Old Firm clubs even weaker and I would think see a sizable number of clubs collapse, who is going to pay for TV rights to SPL2? Never mind the Scottish League: Highland Division?

Presumably this would also invalidate the TV deals currently in place too, so another potential drop in income ahead there then as well.

And it's made all the worse by our club being involved in this dumbass idea.

How will this ever be voted through?

Three teams to be relegated. That means that all bar he OF (and possibly Hearts) will consider themselves vulnerable.

Will turkeys vote for an early Christmas?

Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post

Three teams to be relegated. That means that all bar he OF (and possibly Hearts) will consider themselves vulnerable.

I think it may be down to the voting system, 97% agreement is required to facilitate any change. Rangers and Celtic have an increased percentage because they are a firm and they are old which means they miss out on many of the benefits available from the Scottish wastemoneyment.
    Rangers hold 65% as do celtic making it slightly easier for them to reach the 97% agreement mark.

If like me you think a ten team league is the worst thing ever then we have to lobby our chairman to make him aware of our feelings, get your letters and e-mails going now before these balloons that run our football make things even worse !.

Given our form this year, it would be criminal for our board to vote for it, we could easily be one of the three!

Quote Originally Posted by H18SVG View Post
    I think it may be down to the voting system, 97% agreement is required to facilitate any change. Rangers and Celtic have an increased percentage because they are a firm and they are old which means they miss out on many of the benefits available from the Scottish wastemoneyment.
    Rangers hold 65% as do celtic making it slightly easier for them to reach the 97% agreement mark.
    Each SPL club gets one vote.

I think that 9 votes are required to change things.

Any 4 clubs can veto the change if that is the case.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Didn't Wattie Smith say in the press this week that he favoured a SPL league of ten? Well, say nae mair - ten it is.

We'll have no rebellion from the majority, thank you, the Chosen One has spoken.

Does anyone know the e-mail address of E R ?.

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    What the hell are Hibs playing at here?

Its like they (and the other clubs on the working group) have just taken a bunch of half-baked OF proposals and passed them on as their collective thinking. I do not see what is in this proposal for any club outside the OF that is presently in the SPL.

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by H18SVG View Post
    Nonsense.

Each SPL club gets one vote.

I think that 9 votes are required to change things.

Any 4 clubs can veto the change if that is the case.
    You're correct to say it is one club one vote, but on fundamental reform like this it still requires 11-1 majority to pass. Effectively the OF have a veto on any major change.

@hibs.net private member SneakersO'Toole's Avatar
    Another joke proposal from a joke organisation run by clowns pandering to the infirm's wants and needs.

As long as these glasgow parasites have the final say, the Scottish game will never flourish, never develop and never give back to the people who support it from the ground up, the fans.

You have got to believe that this ludicrous idea won't get the go ahead due to the 3 teams getting relegated? Its absolutely laughable.

The most frustrating thing is that WE the fans have no voice. Nothing to fight back against this farse. Our own club chairmen are so used to years of bending over backwards to the Glasgow cretins that they are actually considering this dross.

Its an un-winnable war. Its the reason the Scottish game is rotten to the core and why we are light years behind our European counter-parts where in some instances they weren't even independent countries 30 years ago.

Depressing.