hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Quiz Question

the mild mannered janitor Last Minute's Avatar

Quiz Question

Who played for celtic for 1 game and scored against hibs, then played 1 game for hibs and scored against celtic.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Minute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who played for celtic for 1 game and scored against hibs, then played 1 game for hibs and scored against celtic.
    Never heard this one before....gies a clue.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    It's doin' my nut in!

Were the games testimonials?

Chris Shevlane?

the mild mannered janitor Last Minute's Avatar
    My mate at work asked me this question this morning and I did'nt have a glue, so I put it on here to see if anybody knew who it was. well he has just told me it was a guy called willy temperley ? can't find anything on this to see if it's true.

My mate at work asked me this question this morning and I did'nt have a glue, so I put it on here to see if anybody knew who it was. well he has just told me it was a guy called willy temperley ? can't find anything on this to see if it's true.
    Its a bit sticky

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    I do remember the name. I think he signed for us straight from the junior ranks. I was at the game at Celtic Park when he scored a cracking goal for us.

He was a pacy forward with good dribbling skills but that's about all I can remember.

I just asked my old man this because he was on the Celtic ground staff at the same time as Willie Temperley. My dad was completely stumped especially when i said it was in '78 - he doesn't remember Willie playing for Celtic's first team. Does anyone know anymore info about the game the OP is referring to when WT scored against Hibs on his Celtic debut?

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I just asked my old man this because he was on the Celtic ground staff at the same time as Willie Temperley. My dad was completely stumped especially when i said it was in '78 - he doesn't remember Willie playing for Celtic's first team. Does anyone know anymore info about the game the OP is referring to when WT scored against Hibs on his Celtic debut?
    That's the bit I'm not sure about.

For some reason I'm thinking that Hibs signed Temperley from an Ayrshire junior team but my memory could be playing tricks (again!)

@hibs.net private member Aubenas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Remember Temperley - red headed left winger IIRC. He looked great, similar build to Gordon Durie. Turned out Celtc let him go cos he was a bit of a nutter - and we let him go quite quickly too, though I think he played four or five games for us. Ended up in a W Lothian Junior side I think.
    Philly McGuinness, Leitrim GAA, died playing in a club match for Mohill. He epitomised all that is best about sport, making a 6 hour round trip to training three times a week from his workplace in Mayo, and was never late. His motto was 'Give it all, or give nothing'. One for all sportsmen to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    That's the bit I'm not sure about.

For some reason I'm thinking that Hibs signed Temperley from an Ayrshire junior team but my memory could be playing tricks (again!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubenas View Post
    Remember Temperley - red headed left winger IIRC. He looked great, similar build to Gordon Durie. Turned out Celtc let him go cos he was a bit of a nutter - and we let him go quite quickly too, though I think he played four or five games for us. Ended up in a W Lothian Junior side I think.
    We might have signed him from Bo'ness Juniors perhaps Golden Bear? My dad mentioned that because he couldn't remember Temperley going straight from Celtic to Hibs

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    We might have signed him from Bo'ness Juniors perhaps Golden Bear? My dad mentioned that because he couldn't remember Temperley going straight from Celtic to Hibs
    Possibly.

Curiosity has got the better of me and he did have a connection with Boness although the information seems to suggest that it may have been after his short career with Hibs.

On Ihibs it says he played 10 games and scored twice.

First game against st mirren. Scored First in Europe.

http://www.ihibs.co.uk/player.php?playerid=807

Its certainly not Willie Temperley, because he played more than once for both the Celtic and Hibs first teams. As to being a nutter, a bit harsh, refereed Willie a few times in Junior football, and always got on ok with him, although he did always like to give you the benefit of his experience, but was usually happy enough if you told him thanks, now get back to doing your job and I'll do mine.

Remember the goal at Parkhead well though, I've posted before about that game which we won 1-0, we were under the cosh for virtually the full 90 mins, Celtc even missed their obligatory penalty, and Ally McLeod nearly caused a break in by the ****miest fans in the world when we got a free kick on the edge of their box, they lined up a defensive wall, and then Ally ran up to the ball, turned, and passed it back 80 yards to our keeper, think it was Mike McDonald that day, super Ally right enough

Was at Darkheid when he scored against the smellies. Cannot remember him playing for the mhanks never mind scoring against us. I may be wrong but do not think the second bit happened.

The League registration records have Willie's career as

29-5-1975 Celtic - Signed S Form
    1975-76 Bo'ness - provisional 28-10-1975
    1977-78 Celtic on 29-4-1977 then Hibs on 5-5-1978
    1978-79 Hibs
    1979-80 Bo'ness -- Alloa -- Meadowbank
    1980-81 Linlithgow Rose
    1982-83 Dumipace
    1983-84 Bo'ness

According to the records Willie never played for Celtic 1st team

I kent wee temps fi a boy, always a VERY good player, just never got the breaks with a VERY good Tic team. Scored for us against them at Darkheed but his palliness wi Alex Edwards "maybe" held him back at ER. Alex Edwards was at end of his ER days, but was and is 1 o' the greatest Hibees, so as I said wee Temps just never got the breaks.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbybrian View Post
    The League registration records have Willie's career as

29-5-1975 Celtic - Signed S Form
    1975-76 Bo'ness - provisional 28-10-1975
    1977-78 Celtic on 29-4-1977 then Hibs on 5-5-1978
    1978-79 Hibs
    1979-80 Bo'ness -- Alloa -- Meadowbank
    1980-81 Linlithgow Rose
    1982-83 Dumipace
    1983-84 Bo'ness

According to the records Willie never played for Celtic 1st team
    Thought this was an odd question....sure we would have heard that one before if it had been true