hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

4 - 1 - 4 - 1 Happy with that?

It's a system which gives the midfield much more responsibility offensively, but should help us at the back.

Since last season, it's been apparent that we needed more dig in the middle of the park, and with the inclusion of Nid in a holding role, we competed really well in that area last night.

Rangers have exploited that system pretty successfully under Walter Smith, but we don't have the pace of Miller up front and given our lack of strikers generally, I'm all for a bit of frugality in defence.

Making us hard to beat would be a great start.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

2. Log in to remove the advert

if this formation gets us results then great
    i just wonder if CC will change the team for the well game
    by all accounts yon trackays is finally finding his feet, ok he never scored
    but maybe his hold up play is what we are wanting for this formation
    does CC bring back deeks, or does he leave him on the bench

First Team Breakthrough
    It's all about the result first and foremost, sure we all want to see free-flowing passing football but that will come, firstly we need to start winning

Happy with a clean sheet, thank you very much.

With Murray in that position until Rocastle is signed, it allows Miller to go forward more, and hopefully we could see more of what we expected from him. It is a good formation as along as we get men forward on the wings along with Miller.

I was one who was taken in by the Calderwood hoofball reports but by seeing what happened against Rangers that is very wrong, and as shown it is entirely possible to play good football and get a result.

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    4-1-4-1 with a target man like Trakys up front is the best option for us IMO

Miller plays at his best when he is free to roam in the midfield and make himself available everywhere in the opposition half and that's what happened yesterday. Its no coincidence that our awful run of form and Millers poor performances came when we lost McBride anchoring the midfield and Miller has been forced into playing a stricter central midfield role which doesn't suit him.

Playing Riordan as a lone striker is never going to work either. Going forward we should use the 4-1-4-1 system with a target-man striker like Trakys upfront and Nid sitting in the holding midfield role. players like Riordan, Galbraith, Wotherspoon & Zemmama can play on the wings but with the fullbacks overlapping or the wingers cutting inside while the midfielders like Miller & Rankin support going forward or move out to cover the wings and provide options in attack without having to worry that we're being left short at the back.

4-1-4-1 can go to 5-4-1, 4-5-1, 4-3-3 or 3-4-3 very quickly and without the need for players to change their on-field positions other than to push forward more or sit back more depending on the situation and what is required.

Quote Originally Posted by MyJo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    4-1-4-1 with a target man like Trakys up front is the best option for us IMO

Miller plays at his best when he is free to roam in the midfield and make himself available everywhere in the opposition half and that's what happened yesterday. Its no coincidence that our awful run of form and Millers poor performances came when we lost McBride anchoring the midfield and Miller has been forced into playing a stricter central midfield role which doesn't suit him.

Playing Riordan as a lone striker is never going to work either. Going forward we should use the 4-1-4-1 system with a target-man striker like Trakys upfront and Nid sitting in the holding midfield role. players like Riordan, Galbraith, Wotherspoon & Zemmama can play on the wings but with the fullbacks overlapping or the wingers cutting inside while the midfielders like Miller & Rankin support going forward or move out to cover the wings and provide options in attack without having to worry that we're being left short at the back.

4-1-4-1 can go to 5-4-1, 4-5-1, 4-3-3 or 3-4-3 very quickly and without the need for players to change their on-field positions other than to push forward more or sit back more depending on the situation and what is required.
    It obviously worked well last night and would be useful in most situations but I don't see Deeks fitting in to that system.

Faxed Back to Kaunas
    With the right players it's a good system. Last night it was like we split in to two teams of five at times. The back 4 and Murray, the midfield 4 and Trakys. The back 4 pretty much stayed where they were with Murray covering wherever needed. The other 4 midfielders were all able to get up pretty much as the pleased, which they could do as we actually had someone who could keep the ball up at that end of the pitch in big Trakys. Most noticeable thing was that everyone was played in their proper position, makes some difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Hainan Hibs View Post
    With Murray in that position until Rocastle is signed, it allows Miller to go forward more, and hopefully we could see more of what we expected from him. It is a good formation as along as we get men forward on the wings along with Miller.

I was one who was taken in by the Calderwood hoofball reports but by seeing what happened against Rangers that is very wrong, and as shown it is entirely possible to play good football and get a result.
    I think you'll find this role is copyright, Herr M. Jack

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BT58 View Post
    if this formation gets us results then great
    i just wonder if CC will change the team for the well game
    by all accounts yon trackays is finally finding his feet, ok he never scored
    but maybe his hold up play is what we are wanting for this formation
    does CC bring back deeks, or does he leave him on the bench
    The 4-1-4-1 obviously worked a treat last night vs the huns at ipox - but would it be the right one to go for home vs 'well? I'm not so sure.

I think a 4-4-2 with Riordan up front with Trakys would be best. I'd keep the back 4 the same along with Murray and Miller in the centre of midfield with Rankin earning his place with his great goalscoring performance vs the huns.

That would mean dropping one of Wotherspoon or De Graff to the bench - youthful zest vs experience and guile - difficult call.

The system used last night looked really effective, especially in the first half, but I was only going on what I saw on Hibs TV

But it did look like the best Hibs have played this season

More of the same on Saturday

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    I think I will leave Satyurdays tactics to CC and DA.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheBull1875
    I know **** all about tactics and formations. I just want to see 11 players out there winning for our football team. Do not give a monkeys how they line up. :

As long as we've turned the corner I don't mind who plays where tbh.

Good football, clean sheets, points and non-havering/non-delusional post match interviews please

Testimonial Due bighairyfaeleith's Avatar
    I too am going to leave it up to CC & DA, then I'll criticise them to death when they get it wrong

@hibs.net private member
    4-1-4-1 away from home against the old firm is fine but teams that sit in as well could see us struggle to break them down.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    The 4-1-4-1 obviously worked a treat last night vs the huns at ipox - but would it be the right one to go for home vs 'well? I'm not so sure.

I think a 4-4-2 with Riordan up front with Trakys would be best. I'd keep the back 4 the same along with Murray and Miller in the centre of midfield with Rankin earning his place with his great goalscoring performance vs the huns.

That would mean dropping one of Wotherspoon or De Graff to the bench - youthful zest vs experience and guile - difficult call.
    I might be splitting hairs here, but I don't think a strict 4-4-2 suits Deek either.

He's better playing off, or behind the front man, so I guess 4-4-1-1 would be better.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    4-1-4-1 away from home against the old firm is fine but teams that sit in as well could see us struggle to break them down.
    Why? You just have the wider 2 in midfeid as wingers or more forward type players such as Riordan, Wotherspoon or Galbraith and your two central players can be more attack minded such as Miller, de Graaf or Rankin with a sitting midfielder and the back four still in place behind them.

It's pretty flexible but makes the best use of the types of players we have.

First Team Breakthrough borstalboy's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BigJ_86
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    I can understand what you mean here....however, if that is the case and teams sit in, then you just play a bit further up the park. As someone mentioned previously, if teams are sitting in then it can easily become a 4-3-3 if required when attacking........Hopefully!

Left by mutual consent!
    4-1-4-1 is a good system to play but it all depends on the forward doing his job correctly.. Bit Trakys is playing up top now but if he can't hold the ball up then we nothing and the ball will come straight back..

I think if he can get him fit then he could play the role quite well..

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyMiller View Post
    It obviously worked well last night and would be useful in most situations but I don't see Deeks fitting in to that system.
    Why not? He did okay wide in a 442 scoring 15 goals or so last year and with a full back behind him trying to get forward and no sitting midfilder.

In this set up particulalry at home he'd be more of a wide forward in a 433 just like when Mowbray was around. I think it would suit him a lot better than a central position and we'd also have a full back staying in position and cover from the sitting midfilder.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Why not? He did okay wide in a 442 scoring 15 goals or so last year and with a full back behind him trying to get forward and no sitting midfilder.

In this set up particulalry at home he'd be more of a wide forward in a 433 just like when Mowbray was around. I think it would suit him a lot better than a central position and we'd also have a full back staying in position and cover from the sitting midfilder.
    Completely agree it should suit him better in giving him a bit licence to roam however with cover also.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post

We get one good result and we want to drop our best goalscorer. He scored at parkhead too in case some folk have forgotten. I'd put money on him scoring regularly all season. I wouldnt put money on Wednesday's team doing the same. If we'd listened to everyone on here after Sundays defeat, Bamba Miller and Trakys would have been dumped in the north sea, along with Rankin Hanlon and Hart. Yet one game later we are building our team round most of these players.

First Team Breakthrough cockneymike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Completely agree it should suit him better in giving him a bit licence to roam however with cover also.
    Also Murray knows Riordan's game well, so if he's the cover midfielder, he'll have a decent idea of what Riordan's movement is like and where and how to sit in.

First Team Breakthrough cockneymike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    We get one good result and we want to drop our best goalscorer. He scored at parkhead too in case some folk have forgotten. I'd put money on him scoring regularly all season. I wouldnt put money on Wednesday's team doing the same. If we'd listened to everyone on here after Sundays defeat, Bamba Miller and Trakys would have been dumped in the north sea, along with Rankin Hanlon and Hart. Yet one game later we are building our team round most of these players.
    To be fair, we were always going to be building a team around Bamba and Miller (this season at least), irrespective of people's opinions in the immediate aftermath of Sunday, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by cockneymike View Post
    To be fair, we were always going to be building a team around Bamba and Miller (this season at least), irrespective of people's opinions in the immediate aftermath of Sunday, don't you think?
    They would both be along with Riordan the first 3 names i'd pick.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    It is surely about the team rather than individuals and after one excellent result and performance against the Scottish champions and league leaders after months of mediocrity does it make any sense to be changing anything. It might not work and Deek or whoever can come on if needed.

@hibs.net private member Arch Stanton's Avatar
    It is surely about the team rather than individuals and after one excellent result and performance against the Scottish champions and league leaders after months of mediocrity does it make any sense to be changing anything. It might not work and Deek or whoever can come on if needed.
    I'd agree with that - trying to give Riordan a game is going to give CC more problems than he needs right now - it is more important to get the balance of the team right. If Riordan plays then Miller will need to try and fill gaps rather than be given a free role - it changes things quite a lot in my view.

I don't actually think we will score fewer goals by not playing Riordan. I didn't notice a surge in our goals scored column when he joined us after all.

Yes i agree it is all about the team, and if we won every game from now on in without Derek Riordan, nobody would be any happier than me. I just believe we should be playing Riordan. I will understand if he's not playing, but you can guess the title of the threads now should we lose on Saturday, without our most dangerous goalscorer in years.

I cant be bothered to look for the threads, but you will have seen them. Who would you keep out of that lot was the jist of them. Riordan was the only name on every one. And every list had 3 or 4 names at most.

Wanting Deek back in the side is just my opinion. If we had beaten the huns without Bamba and Miller, and they'd been replaced by Hogg and Stevenson. I'd be saying the same about them. I'd be wanting them straight back in next game.