hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: dublin

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar

dublin

taking the wife to dublin in jan but never been before, is there a decent bus service from the airport to the city centre or am i best hiring a car? any suggestions on things to do when we get there. only ever been to Shannon in the south so looking forward to seeing dublin

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by superhibi1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    taking the wife to dublin in jan but never been before, is there a decent bus service from the airport to the city centre or am i best hiring a car? any suggestions on things to do when we get there. only ever been to Shannon in the south so looking forward to seeing dublin
    Should be a decent bus service to the centre ..the twice we were there we just got a taxi from the airport ..the centre is a bit congested wi traffic so prob best avoid driving ..

Things to do ..?

Apart from the obvious drinking & eating ..the Guinness tour is good ..seeing how the black stuff is made & of course sampling it ..

Bus tours ..we went on them ..some of the guides are a hoot ..really funny & know their stuff ..

The place (like Edinburgh) is steeped in history ...we stayed in the Jury's Christchurch ..a visit to Christchurch cathedral is a must ..an absolutley stunning place ..

Night life ..we didnt hit the night spots but enjoyed a pub called the Turks Head & the kebab shop over the road ..we also enjoyed great entertainment (live music) in the Arlington hotel ..

Let yer hair doon ..whatever you do im sure you & the missus will enjoy ..

Was there a couple of years ago with my wife.

IIRC the bus into the city was about as good as the Edinburgh one.

Do a bus tour, a must, it’s a pretty decent one.

Temple Bar area, just because!

A Boxty lunch at Gallaghers (Temple Bar area), Yum yum! Actually if you look around for leaflets for the place we were able to get a free pint with our lunch.

FXB Restaurant – steakhouse I’d make a point of going back to if/when I go back there. If the waiter from Edinburgh is still there tell him you're from somewhere else if/when he asks. I see you're from Alva so you may be safe!

Guinness brewery is very interesting

The Porter House in Temple Bar (see what I mean! Temple Bar Temple Bar Temple Bar).

The bus trip will give you ideas for other places.

TAKE PLENTY MONEY!!
    Space to let

cheers guys, yip i heard it was quite expensive but we dont get away without the wee boy very often so looking forward to it, guiness tour sounds good to me

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was there a couple of years ago with my wife.

IIRC the bus into the city was about as good as the Edinburgh one.

Do a bus tour, a must, it’s a pretty decent one.

Temple Bar area, just because!

A Boxty lunch at Gallaghers (Temple Bar area), Yum yum! Actually if you look around for leaflets for the place we were able to get a free pint with our lunch.

FXB Restaurant – steakhouse I’d make a point of going back to if/when I go back there. If the waiter from Edinburgh is still there tell him you're from somewhere else if/when he asks. I see you're from Alva so you may be safe!

Guinness brewery is very interesting

The Porter House in Temple Bar (see what I mean! Temple Bar Temple Bar Temple Bar).

The bus trip will give you ideas for other places.

TAKE PLENTY MONEY!!
    Got to agree with all that (even the bit about being away there with the wife a couple of years ago )

For the best pint of Guinness ever (even better than the Guinness factory) the Oliver St John Gogarty in Temple Bar. There's music in all the bars, but as Jack said, it's not a cheap place, especially for food!

Jump on one of those hop on hop off 24hour bus tours (the same as the annoying ones that go round edinburgh).
    As much as I despise the edinburgh ones, theyre actually good value for money as they take you to all the hotspots

Great town. Bus fom the airport to city centre (O Connell st or St Stephens Gree) will cost 5 Euro each, a cab about 25 Euro. Buses run about every 15 mins and take about 30 mins.

Best pubs: the lot of them. Keep out of Temple Bar, overrated, overpriced. Try the Long Haul, Grogans or McDaids.

well thats us back from dublin and had a good time, although i couldnt believe how expensive it was, done the bus tour which was pretty good. The bus driver was quite funny. I quite like my history so was interesting for me going to the castle and prison etc. Enjoyed the guiness factory and was fun watching the wife trying to pour a pint. I couldnt manage the shamrock on the pint and i work in a pub so she enjoyed that. Gallaghers and O'neills were the pubs we enjoyed even though it cost 6 euros for a vodka and lemonade and 5 euros for a pint