hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Murray as captain

Excellent decision by CC.

What Ian lacks in pace or skill, he more than makes up for in fight and commitment.

Hopefully, he stays fit and I think we have a new captain for remainder of the season

2. Log in to remove the advert

Murray wears his heart on his sleeve, Prob the only player in this current squad you could say that about.

Would be a good choice. Always gives 100%

What position did Murray play tonight?

he was in midfield, set the tone for the performance then ran out of steam, keep the armband on him for saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by down the slope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    he was in midfield, set the tone for the performance then ran out of steam, keep the armband on him for saturday.
    derek's still out on saturday anyway so no reason to change it, but i agree, murray's far more suited to the captaincy than riordan, proven by the past couple games

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee92 View Post
    derek's still out on saturday anyway so no reason to change it, but i agree, murray's far more suited to the captaincy than riordan, proven by the past couple games
    I think you will find that Deek will play this weekend.
    And i think Deek will be the captain this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Do you think he will walk straight back in after tonight's performance?

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee92 View Post
    Nah he's available but banned for St J game

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    I wouldn't put money on it

Quote Originally Posted by 65bd View Post
    Nah he's available but banned for St J game

I wouldn't put money on it
    I would, cert imo

Quote Originally Posted by hibee4life1983 View Post
    I would, cert imo
    No player deserves to be dropped after a fantastic display and result, so why should deek get back in after his stupidity on Sunday?

When Edu was being treated/stretchered off CC and Ian had quite a long talk.

Interestingly (for me) he was talking with him not at him.

First Team Regular joejoefaemexico's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyMiller View Post
    When Edu was being treated/stretchered off CC and Ian had quite a long talk.

Interestingly (for me) he was talking with him not at him.
    Noticed that! very refreshing.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: aberhibsfc
    Quote Originally Posted by macca70 View Post
    Excellent decision by CC.

What Ian lacks in pace or skill, he more than makes up for in fight and commitment.

Hopefully, he stays fit and I think we have a new captain for remainder of the season
    We've been crying out for a player like Murray in this position for years since Matty Jack left. Roecastle then McBride until his injury. You need to have that kind of grit in midfield.

Murray is of far more use ability, influential and tactially wise in midfield than left back.

@hibs.net private member
    No player deserves to be dropped after a fantastic display and result, so why should deek get back in after his stupidity on Sunday?
    It's possible that CC will see Saturday's task differently from the one he set up the team for last night, though.

Quote Originally Posted by s.a.m View Post
    It's possible that CC will see Saturday's task differently from the one he set up the team for last night, though.
    Maybe yes, but unless Trakys has weary legs he should not be dropped IMO

With home game CC might fancy 4-4-2, but shame that someone from last night would have to drop out for DR, if this is the case
    Last edited by Baldy Foghorn; 11-11-2010 at 08:50 AM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    If last nights team are fully fit he shouldnt just walk back in. One of the best Hibs performances in quite a while, would be mad to change it. Good option to have on the bench though.

Quote Originally Posted by too_many_djs View Post
    If last nights team are fully fit he shouldnt just walk back in. One of the best Hibs performances in quite a while, would be mad to change it. Good option to have on the bench though.

Riordan is better suited as Vice Captain - pun intended.

Quote Originally Posted by s.a.m View Post
    He may and I think he's definitely the type to change it up for tactical reasons not personnel.

After watching the match on Setanta here in Oz, I felt Trakys didn't pose that much of a threat up front but seemed to hold the ball up for the likes of Liam Miller to play the type of game we always thought he could, using the width of the park, passing the ball forward, making runs to the box from the sideline allowing others to come through and attack.
    Hibs were a more complete side and did not look as one dimensional as when Riordan is on his own or even when partnered with Nish.

Trakys role allowed us to have what looked like an extra man in midfield at all times - and this seemed to be my take on the success of last night.

If we bring Deek back in at the expense of Trakys, does this change the whole dynamic of last nights successful formula?

I can't see either how you could leave a player of Riordan's calibre out.
    If you have both in, then who could you take out considering last nights performance.
    We defended in numbers and attacked in numbers with what appears to be non out and out striker and managed 3 goals.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Yes it was a silly challenge from Derek in the Derby game, i agree with that, but is it silly that Murray picks up so many points due to red and yellow cards that he ends up not playing at the start of the new season due to his bad disipline during the season, i have seen the red mist from IM several times during games that have ended in him getting red cards, he normally walks straight back in to the team when his ban is completed.
    Derek is our top goal scorer and a threat infront of goals, thats why i would want him starting against Motherwell at the weekend, he seems to do quite well against them too.

Left by mutual consent!
    To drop anyone from last night for Riordan would be a travesty.

It's not about dropping someone just to make way for Derek Riordan or for that matter any other player.

It's about who we are playing.

CC and now Derek Adams need to come up with a system to play Motherwell and then select the best personnel to play it.

Perhaps if we were say going to Celtc Park there would be a very strong arguement for playing the same 11 again.

But it's Motherwell at home.

Oh and Ian Murray as captain playing in front of the defence is perfect for me!!

If Deek was available last night, who's to say if he would have played.

and on Saturday i have no doubts he'll start.
    As others said, it's about picking the best team to win that particular match.

Motherwell are quite an open side; We'll start with Trakys and Deek IMO, and sacrafice someone in midfield. Would be surprised if not the case.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by smurf View Post
    It's not about dropping someone just to make way for Derek Riordan or for that matter any other player.

It's about who we are playing.

CC and now Derek Adams need to come up with a system to play Motherwell and then select the best personnel to play it.

Perhaps if we were say going to Celtc Park there would be a very strong arguement for playing the same 11 again.

But it's Motherwell at home.

Oh and Ian Murray as captain playing in front of the defence is perfect for me!!
    I think it's much more about rewarding players who take their opportunity when they manage to get into the first team. That happened in spades last night in a result that was gained, first and foremost, through sheer hard graft.

The same will be needed again this weekend, and I just can't see what Riordan has done right, and last nights team done wrong, to merit Riordan walking back into the team.

Murray should be the captain. Riordan is not a captain type.

He needs to be free to unleash his creative qualities.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs0666 View Post
    I think it's much more about rewarding players who take their opportunity when they manage to get into the first team. That happened in spades last night in a result that was gained, first and foremost, through sheer hard graft.

The same will be needed again this weekend, and I just can't see what Riordan has done right, and last nights team done wrong, to merit Riordan walking back into the team.
    Exactly, last night sounds as if it was one of the most complete Hibs performances weve seen in a long time. We got 3 goals and a clean sheet, and as someone mentioned, we attacked and defended in numbers.

For me, all 11 of them have earned their starting spot for Saturday, and its up to them to hold onto it. Riordan should be on the bench, if it isnt working then he can come on. I dont see why you would risk changing a winning team for one player.

Yes it was a silly challenge from Derek in the Derby game, i agree with that, but is it silly that Murray picks up so many points due to red and yellow cards that he ends up not playing at the start of the new season due to his bad disipline during the season, i have seen the red mist from IM several times during games that have ended in him getting red cards, he normally walks straight back in to the team when his ban is completed.
    Derek is our top goal scorer and a threat infront of goals, thats why i would want him starting against Motherwell at the weekend, he seems to do quite well against them too.
    I was not talking about IM though. Deek is top scorer with 3, hardly challenging for the golden boot is it, and he was not missed 1 bit last night. Maybe a wee spell on the bench will do him a power of good, and maybe teach him to be less reckless?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Personally wouldnt change anything for Saturday. I appreciate it is a home game however the performance IMO merits the same guys at least starting another game and see how it goes. You would still have the option of bringing Deek on later in the game. IMO it is a very good thing for players not to assume they should walk straight back in when available, it creates a healthy competition and edge in a squad if everyone has a chance. I think the enormity of the win needs to be taken into account we have just turned over the Scottish champions and league leaders 3-0 on their own patch where they havent lost a league game in 35 games it would IMO be very harsh for anyone to drop out after that. If it aint broke dont fix it.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I was not talking about IM though. Deek is top scorer with 3, hardly challenging for the golden boot is it, and he was not missed 1 bit last night. Maybe a wee spell on the bench will do him a power of good, and maybe teach him to be less reckless?
    Riordan hardly has a reputation of being reckless though, does he?
    When Murray was sent off against Celtic for the same type of reckless tackle at parkhead a couple of seasons ago, did it stop him being so reckless, and do him the power of good?

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    Murray is the one who is doing his coaching badges and, playing in midfield, can make a really influence on the team.