hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar

What Makes You Think We'll Sign Players In January?

I am reading a lot about how Duffy and Zoumer returning along with 'fresh blood' is going to save our season in January. Why?

Our team yesterday was full of Fresh Blood:

Brown - Jan 2010
    Hart - Summer 2010
    Grounds - Summer 2010
    De Graff - Summer 2010
    Trakys - Summer 2010
    Galbraith - Summer 2009

Duffy so far has done nothing to suggest he'll be straight back into the swing of tings and score goals. He didn't at Bristol did he?

We are running at 68% wages to turnover. A turnover that will drop this year on account of already being out of a cup and bottom of the league whilst wages are still paid. Any player paid off will simply mean they are due their money sooner and will affect the cashflow available to CC.

This will in turn affect the 'perfect budget' that CC has all while trying to attract quality to the SPL.

If some of you say 'well they better had or it's relegation' Hmmmm, relegation did wonders for our average crowds last time. Allowed a manager to rebuild whilst coming up against lesser quality opposition as well.

Time for another 'Great Adventure'?
    Last edited by Speedway; 09-11-2010 at 01:18 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am reading a lot about how Duffy and Zoumer returning along with 'fresh blood' is going to save our season in January. Why?

Brown - Jan 2010
    Hart - Summer 2010
    Grounds - Summer 2010
    De Graff - Summer 2010
    Trakys - Summer 2010
    Galbraith - Summer 2009

Duffy so far has done nothing to suggest he'll be straight back into the swing of tings and score goals. He didn't at Bristol did he?

We are running at 68% wages to turnover. A turnover that will drop this year on account of already being out of a cup and bottom of the league whilst wages are still paid. Any player paid off will simply mean they are due their money sooner and will affect the cashflow available to CC.

This will in turn affect the 'perfect budget' that CC has all while trying to attract quality to the SPL.

If some of you say 'well they better had or it's relegation' Hmmmm, relegation did wonders for our average crowds last time. Allowed a manager to rebuild whilst coming up against lesser quality opposition as well.

Certainly not!

I think we will HAVE to buy one or two players in Jan' if we are to avoid the unthinkable. Grounds is back to Boro for example.

Left by mutual consent!
    My assumption would be based on the new managers assessment of the squad and the discussions with the board.

If he states that unless we get some players in we're going down then I'm pretty sure the board won't just tell him he's getting nothing and effectively relegate us.

Lets see how things develop between now and Jan, maybe once CC gets to know the players a bit better we'll start to rocket up the league. Well you can always hope!

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Because we stand a good chance of being relegated if we don't

It's a known fact that relegation is a costly business - crowds may be up at some matches but with much lower SFL ticket prices and no OF matches or derby fixtures the net effect is a significant drop in gate income. But I think you know that.

Your post also seems to assume that we would come back up in one season. By no means certain. Would you be happy with a 'Great Adventure' stretching out to two or maybe even three years?

I am reading a lot about how Duffy and Zoumer along with 'fresh blood' is going to save our season in January. Why?

Brown - Jan 2010
    Hart - Summer 2010
    Grounds - Summer 2010
    De Graff - Summer 2010
    Trakys - Summer 2010
    Galbraith - Summer 2009

We are running at 68% wages to turnover. A turnover that will drop this year on account of already being out of a cup and bottom of the league. Any player paid off will simply mean they are due their money sooner and affect cashflow.

This will affect the 'perfect budget' that CC has and he's trying to attract uality to the SPL.

Relegation would be a disaster for us this time.

The last time we were in the first division, we had some real quality players such as Russell Latapy, Franck Sauzee, Mixu Paatelainen and a young Kenny Miller. All of them were SPL standard players and were miles better than what any other first division side had at their disposal.

This time, if we are relegated this year, we'll have most of the squad out of contract (including our three or four good players like Riordan, Miller, Bamba and Zemmama), and we will be left with a squad of Mark Brown, Michael Hart, Paul Hanlon, David Wotherspoon, David Stephens, Ian Murray and Edwin de Graaf.

Obviously Calderwood can bring in his own players in January and the summer but we will struggle to attract quality players if we are playing in the second tier of Scottish football, even if we do have a nice "family home" and excellent training facilities. The first division would also be a very difficult league to try and get out of with the likes of Raith Rovers, Dunfermline, Falkirk and Queen of the South all being very tough sides.

I also don't really get the whole argument of "relegation might not be a bad thing because it'll let us go to new grounds and we'll win nearly every week". Apart from the fact that the second part of that statement is nowhere near guaranteed to come true, I have no interest in going to Cowdenbeath, Greenock and Maryhill every other week and would much rather be going to Ibrox, Parkhead and Tynecastle, even if it means that we don't win as much.

To me, picking up three points in the SPL would mean so much more than picking up six points in the first division.

Hibs should never be playing below the top level of Scottish football under any circumstances and if we happen to be relegated this year then heads should roll from the top to the bottom of the club.

Brown - Jan 2010
    Hart - Summer 2010
    Grounds - Summer 2010
    De Graff - Summer 2010
    Trakys - Summer 2010
    Galbraith - Summer 2009

Did Big Eck no just about break the bank during the last "Great Adventure".

If anyone at ER is looking at a spell in a lower division as a means to rebuilding without spending then they want f'kn shot. A slap in the face to any true Hibby

Left by mutual consent!
    CC will HAVE to bring in fresh players in the window.. Do you honestly think he would be happy to into the last 5-6 months of the aseasin with a bunch of wage thiefs and bottlers like we have now ??

Imagine Liam Miller in a relegation dog fight ???

I'm kind of hoping you're attempting to be ironic/sarcastic, though you just seem to be coming over more as idiotic. Don't blame me for saying what I'm thinking, you're the one that wrote that tosh.

What it would cost the club in being relegated is much greater than what it would cost to attempt to reverse the slide by bringing in players in January, only six months ahead of schedule. What I'd like to see are some players brought in with a bit of desire, and something to prove. Something like, 'here's a six month contract, go out there and show me you deserve more. Oh and kick a few ***** while you're out there'

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar

Brown - Jan 2010
    Hart - Summer 2010
    Grounds - Summer 2010
    De Graff - Summer 2010
    Trakys - Summer 2010
    Galbraith - Summer 2009

Plain and simple no decent players means no decent crowds. No decent results means no decent crowd which means no money coming into the club. Relegation means a loss of income too as far as im concerned its players in during Jan or big problems for the future of the club.

Brown - Jan 2010
    Hart - Summer 2010
    Grounds - Summer 2010
    De Graff - Summer 2010
    Trakys - Summer 2010
    Galbraith - Summer 2009

Your attempt at being someone who knows about finance went down the tubes, relegation would be disastorous financially to us. No income from the O.F. or Hearts visiting E.R thats about 21,000 less fans lost right away. The visiting fans from other 1st division teams would not get anywhere near that figure, not forgetting lower ticket prices, lack of t.v. money etc and having to pay the existing players the wages they where on whilst in the premier league. To say that we would be playing against lesser opposition well................

@hibs.net private member FitbaFolkKen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IFONLY View Post
    Your attempt at being someone who knows about finance went down the tubes, relegation would be disastorous financially to us. No income from the O.F. or Hearts visiting E.R thats about 21,000 less fans lost right away. The visiting fans from other 1st division teams would not get anywhere near that figure, not forgetting lower ticket prices, lack of t.v. money etc and having to pay the existing players the wages they where on whilst in the premier league. To say that we would be playing against lesser opposition well................
    I think you have misread this, the way i interpreted it was Speedway was asking where we were going to get the funds for new players on the basis that our wages were 68% of what we would guess at being a larger turnover in the last financial year. With reduced turnover obviously the % would increase.

I agree dropping a division would be disastrous, stuck between a rock and a hard place i think

First Team Breakthrough
    God forbid

We need some creative accounting to find the funds we need. I don't believe CC took the job on the understanding he has to use what he has got. If the board go that way he will go the same way as JC. Scott Lindsay is a Kilmarnock FC man through and through but even he has to see that Hibs deserve better than this.

Two word sum it up for me-Ross County !, we are worse now than when we played them last season and i think this lot of players would hardly get an away point in the first division, at least five new faces needed in January.

@hibs.net private member Green_one's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cropley10 View Post
    Certainly not!

I think we will HAVE to buy one or two players in Jan' if we are to avoid the unthinkable. Grounds is back to Boro for example.

1. We have to get improvement into the team. I cannot see any youngsters doing it at present. Even a change would be good.
    2. We are losing some players in January
    3. Relegation or even continued awful football will cost us serious money in the long term
    4. Some positions are very weak
    5. We are gettint shot of a bunch of players shortly, so we should be thinking about replacements
    To hell with % targets. Hibs need to get points and start playing some football. Anyone who thinks Zemamma or Duffy are going to turn this around is deluded. One is always injured and the other has still to play a game. Get the wallet out. We managed to spend Ł3.5 on a training facility (plus Ł500,000 each year) and built a brand new stand that provides capacity that will hardly ever be needed, so do not tell me about debt and priorities.

2 or 3 seniors from Engerland in January, and more of the same in the summer as we empty our dross.

MUST HAPPEN!

Quote Originally Posted by IFONLY View Post
    If you read it again, you'll notice that I make no reference to relegation being a financially superior option for us.

I did make reference though to why people think we'll sign in January when:

1. Paying players off costs us money
    2. Crowds are down
    3. Cup Income is down
    4. League placing money will be down short of a miracle and
    5. We are already at 68% wages to turnover ratio.

So.... where are these quality signings coming from funding wise if we can't afford what we already have?

Your attempts to expose someone whom you claim tried to appear as someone who knows about finances, have gone down the tubes.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: aberhibsfc
    Quote Originally Posted by BEEJ View Post
    It's a known fact that relegation is a costly business - crowds may be up at some matches but with much lower SFL ticket prices and no OF matches or derby fixtures the net effect is a significant drop in gate income. But I think you know that.

Your post also seems to assume that we would come back up in one season. By no means certain. Would you be happy with a 'Great Adventure' stretching out to two or maybe even three years?

Quote Originally Posted by BEEJ View Post

Yeah, what the heck. Let's take a slide down all the divisions and see what happens. It would give me 3 years off paying to watch Hibs and then it would be nothing but victories for another three years.

I'm interested. Do you think we could get Rocastle back?

@hibs.net private member BoltonHibee's Avatar
    If you read it again, you'll notice that I make no reference to relegation being a financially superior option for us.

I did make reference though to why people think we'll sign in January when:

1. Paying players off costs us money
    2. Crowds are down
    3. Cup Income is down
    4. League placing money will be down short of a miracle and
    5. We are already at 68% wages to turnover ratio.

So.... where are these quality signings coming from funding wise if we can't afford what we already have?

Your attempts to expose someone whom you claim tried to appear as someone who knows about finances, have gone down the tubes.
    Brilliant question, with very valid points.

I really want to see how Petrie is going to wangle his way out of this one. Millions will have to be spent on either transfer fee's, signing on fee's, players wages and paying out contracted players that they wish to leave the club.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoltonHibee View Post
    Brilliant question, with very valid points.

I really want to see how Petrie is going to wangle his way out of this one. Millions will have to be spent on either transfer fee's, signing on fee's, players wages and paying out contracted players that they wish to leave the club.
    He may surprise us and take a gamble, eg. blow the budget by a couple of million in January with a view to raising attendances/income for the next couple of seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor® View Post
    He may surprise us and take a gamble, eg. blow the budget by a couple of million in January with a view to raising attendances/income for the next couple of seasons.
    In that case why has he let us slip into the mire like we are now?

I hope you are right though, but I just cannot see it.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar

JC's signings were crap - RP stopped him wasting the club's money so JC shot the crow.

After a decent start, things started going downhill under Mixu - RP 'mutual consented' him.

After a decent start, things went very badly wrong under Yogi - RP binned him.

Apart from directly interfering in team selections/signings, what more could he have done?

Prior to Yogi being sacked one of the main sticks he was beaten with on here was that he couldn't get the best squad outside of the Old Firm to perform to the standard that they should..
    Now that he is gone we have the board being accused of overseeing the building of the worst Hibs squad ever. You gotta love hibs.net.
    Let's sack the board and see who we turn on next.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Prior to Yogi being sacked one of the main sticks he was beaten with on here was that he couldn't get the best squad outside of the Old Firm to perform to the standard that they should..
    Now that he is gone we have the board being accused of overseeing the building of the worst Hibs squad ever. You gotta love hibs.net.
    Yep, I was struggling with that one myself.

The pool of players we have should stave off relegation but as Ian Murray said if we are still in this position in January then it is time to panic. CC should report to RP on whether relegation is a possibility with the current group of players. If he reports that it is a possibility and RP does nothing then RP is not the man for Hibs. If CC says he needs players I am sure the money will come. For a fact even STF has said that if players were to make the difference he would put his hand in his pocket for them (I heard him say it). However RP has made it clear that he would find it difficult if not impossible to bring himself to ask STF, so that is unlikely. I don't know what maneouvres he can make with finances but he has to come up with something to get what we need. Hart, Trakys, Grounds, Miller, Stokes this season have proved to be not what is or was required. Couple that with longer serving players disappearing from games then we need new blood. Going by my first sentence though it might not happen until the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by ahibby View Post
    The pool of players we have should stave off relegation but as Ian Murray said if we are still in this position in January then it is time to panic. CC should report to RP on whether relegation is a possibility with the current group of players. If he reports that it is a possibility and RP does nothing then RP is not the man for Hibs. If CC says he needs players I am sure the money will come. For a fact even STF has said that if players were to make the difference he would put his hand in his pocket for them (I heard him say it). However RP has made it clear that he would find it difficult if not impossible to bring himself to ask STF, so that is unlikely. I don't know what maneouvres he can make with finances but he has to come up with something to get what we need. Hart, Trakys, Grounds, Miller, Stokes this season have proved to be not what is or was required. Couple that with longer serving players disappearing from games then we need new blood. Going by my first sentence though it might not happen until the summer.
    And what shred of difference will that make (no offence)??

The Tashman is 'STF on the board' and will not move out in any circumstances unless STF says so!!

If we're going to spend a bit of money in the transfer window this year, I would imagine it would be to bring 3 or 4 fringe EPL players or suchlike, on loan.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Petrie appointed the managers, the buck stops with him.

But I guess in your world he should be accountable to no one?

The Managers have come and gone, and wasted millions in the process. 1 poor appointment maybe, 2 tops....but we are really being taken for a ride!

One day you will wake up and smell the coffee though.

In the meantime, all hail Rod