hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can Any Brave Soul Absolve The Board?

They have ultimate responsibility. Yes? No?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No.

ReillyF5 will help you out Smurph, Albion Hibs too probably.

Two Carpets... IF THEY don't have ULTIMATE responsibility who does?

Just that normally TOP MANAGEMENT does.

Sir Fred Goodwin I blame my local Bank Clerk....

Blog Entries
    Two Carpets... IF THEY don't have ULTIMATE responsibility who does?

Just that normally TOP MANAGEMENT does.

Sir Fred Goodwin I blame my local Bank Clerk....
    Froma corporate point of view, yes, I suppose they do, but football is a unique business.

Either you want a board to get involved with the team a la romanov, or you want them to manage the business element. They do this well - the football side is down to the managers.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoCarpets View Post
    Froma corporate point of view, yes, I suppose they do, but football is a unique business.

Either you want a board to get involved with the team a la romanov, or you want them to manage the business element. They do this well - the football side is down to the managers.
    And who appoints the managers?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs13681 View Post
    And who appoints the managers?

Not a single appointment the board hav emade could have been questioned on their credentials at the itm eof appointment. whether or not theyve been able to deliver on the football front has not been the issue of Petrie, regardless of how despondent we are at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoCarpets View Post
    Not a single appointment the board hav emade could have been questioned on their credentials at the itm eof appointment. whether or not theyve been able to deliver on the football front has not been the issue of Petrie, regardless of how despondent we are at the moment.
    John Collins had never managed anyone, nor had TM. Mixu had spent tons ay Cowdenbeath and then fannied around in Finland. Hughes was 45 minutes from the SFL.

Not one of them could claim to have real credentials - Funnily enough though they'd all played for Hibs (bar one).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cropley10 View Post
    John Collins had never managed anyone, nor had TM. Mixu had spent tons ay Cowdenbeath and then fannied around in Finland. Hughes was 45 minutes from the SFL.

Not one of them could claim to have real credentials - Funnily enough though they'd all played for Hibs (bar one).
    The lack of managerial experince is neither here nor there when it comes to Hibs to be honest. We're just not big enough to automatically command a succesful, experinced manager.

TM worked superbly well, his football ethic was top class, and man management acknowledged to be the best weve had for years. Collins I think was a risk, but a calculate done given his obvious drive and playing pedigree. Mixu was the biggest question mark, but hughes has served his time on much more meagre resources and had reputation for good football. CC has a solid background.

It doesn't matter If any appointment had the 'credentials' or not. They should be judged in the success of him or not.

I'll have a go at defending the board.

They provide £4.8m per season to the manager for players. This is more than the complete turnover of the following clubs,
    Kilmarnock
    Motherwell
    Dundee Utd
    St Mirren
    Inverness
    Hamilton
    St Johnstone
    It is also more than Aberdeen have for a wage bill.
    Only Celtic, Rangers and Hearts spend more on Players.

The Blame lies with the managers who have spent the money very poorly.
    Why Hughes was not interested in a proven quality midfielder like Hartley in the summer instead of the terrible Edwin de graaf is anyone guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post

They provide £4.8m per season to the manager for players. This is more than the complete turnover of the following clubs,
    Kilmarnock
    Motherwell
    Dundee Utd
    St Mirren
    Inverness
    Hamilton
    St Johnstone

Why Hughes was not interested in a proven quality midfielder like Hartley in the summer instead of the terrible Edwin de graaf is anyone guess.
    If hartley had signed and had made a start like De Graff has then do you think he'd get away with 'Terrible' as a description? De Graff has a record, he's been rank but then so has the squad tbh.

@hibs.net private member
    This is nonsense. Fred Goodwin presided over a company that almost took the country down.

12 months ago, when we were sitting two points of the top around xmas time, our board were a beacon of light and an example of how to run a football club. Now they are the most useless incompetent individuals and death is too good for them.

I reckon a lot of these comments are from Yam's on the windup.

Left by mutual consent!
    And they have just changed the management of the football department, so what's your point?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs0666 View Post
    And they have just changed the management of the football department, so what's your point?
    A management change that a very vocal element of our support was screaming for and likely to do again very soon.

First Team Breakthrough
    I saw in Colin Calderwood's eyes yesterday a feeling of 'wtf have I done'. The club is absolutely rank rotten from its core. I just hope he has the balls to stay around to solve it (if he is allowed). As someone has already pointed out the buck stops at Farmer's door. Thanks for the nice shiny new stadium and the modern training centre Tom but it's time to roll your sleeves up and sort out this club from the ground up. If players are refusing to train or think they are billy big bollocks or are out drinking most nights, tell them to leave. If Directors are swanning around with no real value added, tell them to leave. If CC has to put 8 men out next week because of it so be it. Show us you are the man everyone tells us you are. If you haven't got the stomach for it find someone who has.

If they don't back Calderwood properly and allow him to mould the club, top to bottom, as he sees fit then yes, they'll have to take responsibility. It's time for them to step up to the plate, take risks to secure our place in the SPL and come up with a plan to allow increased investment in the playing side, if that's what Calderwood needs.

I don't want to hear about the stadium, training facilities or even how much the players are enjoying their training until the club, from the Chairman to the Manager to the charlatans on the pitch to the folk that sweep the floor sort that club out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post

Kilmarnock
    Motherwell
    Dundee Utd
    St Mirren
    Inverness
    Hamilton
    St Johnstone

Incorrect. And another popular myth on here.

Our wages bill includes everyone on the payroll including the Board, staff and players.

We pay peanuts to players.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser1962 View Post
    A management change that a very vocal element of our support was screaming for and likely to do again very soon.
    You might be screaming for a change but I'm not. I think it's suspicious and disingenous to start suggesting this to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    If they don't back Calderwood properly and allow him to mould the club, top to bottom, as he sees fit then yes, they'll have to take responsibility. It's time for them to step up to the plate, take risks to secure our place in the SPL and come up with a plan to allow increased investment in the playing side, if that's what Calderwood needs.

I don't want to hear about the stadium, training facilities or even how much the players are enjoying their training until the club, from the Chairman to the Manager to the charlatans on the pitch to the folk that sweep the floor sort that club out.

Thankyou for some common sense !!!!!!!

Our wages bill includes everyone on the payroll including the Board, staff and players.

I'd still wager that we have the highest player wage bill outside the three mentioned. Whether it's enough is a different matter but almost everyone else in the SPL is having to cut their cloth to deal with huge debts.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    I'd still wager that we have the highest player wage bill outside the three mentioned. Whether it's enough is a different matter but almost everyone else in the SPL is having to cut their cloth to deal with huge debts.
    You may well be right. I've no idea what the player budget is and nor does anyone else on here frankly.

But you have to wonder how Motherwell, cr@p stadium, nae money and god-knows-what training facilities do so well then. Some decent players in that team but not in ours...

Coaching Staff

No we don't.

We have three goalkeepers on nearly top whack. One has been injured most of his Hibs career, yet still finds the time to have a wee night out to himself "recuperating".

The younger players are not on "footballers salaries", but there is the obvious reason for that. There are some very very good salaries and bonus' available for Hibs players. Peanuts is so far from the truth it's untrue.

The problem at Hibernian is that we have well paid players doing very little and showing little effort. For the combined salaries of Hogg, Smith, Stack, Thicot, Rankin, De Graaf and Trakys, we could get in 3 or 4 quality players as opposed to 7 or 8 average at best ones. Then supplement the team with players like Wotherspoon, Welsh, Byrne, Booth and Handling and you have balance and a dynamic.

How much do you think the likes of Murray Davidson and Prince Bauban get paid ? Would you have them at Hibs ? I can guarantee they get paid far less than even the most average of our "stars".

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    No we don't.

We have three goalkeepers on nearly top whack. One has been injured most of his Hibs career, yet still finds the time to have a wee night out to himself "recuperating".

The younger players are not on "footballers salaries", but there is the obvious reason for that. There are some very very good salaries and bonus' available for Hibs players. Peanuts is so far from the truth it's untrue.

The problem at Hibernian is that we have well paid players doing very little and showing little effort. For the combined salaries of Hogg, Smith, Stack, Thicot, Rankin, De Graaf and Trakys, we could get in 3 or 4 quality players as opposed to 7 or 8 average at best ones. Then supplement the team with players like Wotherspoon, Welsh, Byrne, Booth and Handling and you have balance and a dynamic.

How much do you think the likes of Murray Davidson and Prince Bauban get paid ? Would you have them at Hibs ? I can guarantee they get paid far less than even the most average of our "stars".
    So what's top whack for a goal-keeper? Not being smart, curious.

My understanding is that we have players on hundreds, not thousands, per week.

I'd love to know what MD and PB are on, as they'd offer some quality and value for money, something that's really lacking.

My point is that I don't believe Hibs pay well - evidenced by the standard of player we have broadly.

You may well be right. I've no idea what the player budget is and nor does anyone else on here frankly.

But you have to wonder how Motherwell, cr@p stadium, nae money and god-knows-what training facilities do so well then. Some decent players in that team but not in ours...
    You don't have to wonder that too much, we have sold almost every good player we have had.

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    No we don't.

The problem at Hibernian is that we have well paid players doing very little and showing little effort.
    For the combined salaries of Hogg, Smith, Stack, Thicot, Rankin, De Graaf and Trakys, we could get in 3 or 4 quality players as opposed to 7 or 8 average at best ones. Then supplement the team with players like Wotherspoon, Welsh, Byrne, Booth and Handling and you have balance and a dynamic.

http://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/newsitemsdetail.php?param=991

St. Johnstone's total turnover for 2009/10 was £4M, less than Hibs' wage bill, and they just about broke even. Once you strip out their overheads and other costs, their player budget will be less than half of Hibs (probably nearer a third).

Quote Originally Posted by Ray-in-ireland View Post
    You don't have to wonder that too much, we have sold almost every good player we have had.
    So who's left that's worth anything

The signs were there a long time ago when John Collins resigned the day after East Mains was opened. That told me there was something wrong at board level. JC wasn't happy with the board because players were allowed to go over his head and also because the board would only sanction players who were third, fourth or fifth on his list for positions. It seems to me that Mixu has been allowed to bring in better players to Kilmarnock than he was at Hibs. Even I with my limited knowledge of managers felt from the out set that JH wasn't the right choice and the Hibs performances (not results) confirmed my feelings from the outset. There is something not right but it might be just a case of trial and error. If CC can get it right where JC, Mixu and JH didn't then the board will be redeemed, if he doesn't get it right then yesterdays frustration aimed at them in the West Stand will seem like a pat on the back.

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray-in-ireland View Post
    Motherwell (the example used) also sell or lose to free agency every good player they have. That's just the way it is now with Bosman.

The issue is when you lose the player that you make a reasonably good effort to replace him. Motherwell lost Jim O'Brien on a bosman to Barnsley this summer, they haven't missed him because Chris Humphrey has come in and performed well. Hibs' efforts to replace the players they have lost over the last few years have been pisspoor in the main.

So what's top whack for a goal-keeper? Not being smart, curious.

My understanding is that we have players on hundreds, not thousands, per week.

I'd love to know what MD and PB are on, as they'd offer some quality and value for money, something that's really lacking.

My point is that I don't believe Hibs pay well - evidenced by the standard of player we have broadly.

This site should answer most of your questions.

http://www.football-finances.org.uk/spl/