hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Green_one's Avatar
    A new low even for them

Once again caught out by 'the spelling' . Obviously missed both English and History lessons as 'also those who bombed the Belgrano' is incorrect as the Belgrano, as almost anyone knows, was sunk by a submarine. That used a torpedo not a bomb, nor could it fly.

These guys object to violence by the British army but are happy to sing about and collect money for, groups who murdered women and children. Some were even Irishmen who killed Irishmen. Who understands them.

They are right about one thing. Everyone does hate them. Their only friends are the Huns. Born from the same hate.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If they hate Britain so much why are they here?

"If you hate it so much,
    ...then why don't you go home?"

Quote Originally Posted by Green_one View Post
    A new low even for them

Once again caught out by 'the spelling' . Obviously missed both English and History lessons as 'also those who bombed the Belgrano' is incorrect as the Belgrano, as almost anyone knows, was sunk by a submarine. That used a torpedo not a bomb, nor could it fly.

These guys object to violence by the British army but are happy to sing about and collect money for, groups who murdered women and children. Some were even Irishmen who killed Irishmen. Who understands them.

They are right about one thing. Everyone does hate them. Their only friends are the Huns. Born from the same hate.
    Excellent post.

Every week, they are only too happy to glorify a terrorist organisation that commits atrocities against hundreds of innocent people, which is exactly the same thing that they accuse the British army of doing.

Their hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    Excellent post.

Every week, they are only too happy to glorify a terrorist organisation that commits atrocities against hundreds of innocent people, which is exactly the same thing that they accuse the British army of doing.

Their hypocrisy knows no bounds.
    Think you might be a wee bit out of your depth in trying to answer the 'Irish Question' on a forum built for folk to have a greet about their football team.

And I might ask a question of my own of the Admins....where is any of the content of this thread football related? Most of the vitriol belongs elsewhere.

If they hate Britain so much why are they here?
    That is too simple and hunnish. To protest against the British ruling classes and even what the British army has done and is doing is not simply about being anti-British. My family is Irish and I live in Britain, but what is being done in Ireland, Iraq and Afghanistan is not in my name and if I was asked I would have no British troops in any of those places.

The gloryfication of war is about those in power retaining or gaining more power. It has nowt to do with defence and it is not for the benefit of the British people as a whole. The poppy appeals have become far more political than just raising some dough for ex-servicemen and women. The government sends to war but it is unwilling to take full care of them when killed or maimed.

If it were up to me there would be no poppies on our strips either.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Handling View Post
    And I might ask a question of my own of the Admins....where is any of the content of this thread football related? Most of the vitriol belongs elsewhere.
    It involves a Football Club and the thread was started by a picture taken in a football stadium during a football match

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Does anyone know if the stewards did anything to remove the banners?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Leith Sansiro
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    http://willievass.photoshelter.com/g...000rTofGM7Iink

How can they be Scotlands Shame when it appears they have no shame
    I can see there point, the uk's treatment of other countries since its birth has been the epitome of hell itself, even the way its own people are abandoned on a daily basis.

As usual the sunday mail has an article on the back page about the filth wining 9.0 - no mention of the inbred sub-species they call fans and their disgusting antics. Celtic fans really are the epitomy of **** and the daily record/sunday mail are effectively condoning the fascism that spills from that cess-pit.

I just wish these numbnuts would learn to spell.

No Poppies on the hoops. Thankfully this is the last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    It involves a Football Club and the thread was started by a picture taken in a football stadium during a football match
    Nah.
    The only relevance this thread has to football is the political one being kicked about.
    Sadly, references to 'filth', 'their pope' immigration, the famine, literacy, 'why are they here' etc only highlight thinly veiled but lightweight bigotry coming to the fore as it always does whenever the OF are in the frame.
    Much as posters on here spout about how much they hate the OF, some cannot wait to get their dig in from one side of the other while qualifying it with the old 'I hate one as much as the other but.....' malarkey.
    Only PeterDouglas has made any rational and reasoned argument and it would be a shame to lose his excellent post to obscurity, but this belongs on the Cheese board.
    No Hibs and no football connection.

@hibs.net private member
    I see that the club are now trying to distance themselves from the incident somewhat belatedly
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...em/default.stm
    Maybe they read my earlier post about the damage they are doing to their hidden agenda

I'm pleased that Celtic have taken the time to issue an apology and I hope they do ban these people from Parkhead. Since the Green Brigade is quite a high profile fans group, it shouldn't be difficult for the club to identify the top people within the organisation.

I'm quite sure that Celtic realise that they are in danger of being in serious trouble over this incident as the SPL does not look favourably upon political protests within their grounds, particularly when it's over something as sensitive as Remembrance Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Vini1875 View Post

These clowns made ***** of themselves again, doesn't alter fact that remembrance day has changed over the recent years, I don't wear one now. I don't see any reason why football players should be forced to wear them, anymore than anyone else.

I've always found it amusing that tenth generation descendants of Irish immigrants still consider themselves more Irish than the Irish. It is really quite pathetic that whilst Ireland has resolved many of historical issues these people are holding on to it - this has more to do with their own illusionary self-image than any meaningful issue of substance. It is all very sad but ultimately it is psychosomatic of the deep insecurity of these people - they are more to be pitied than despised.
    At the end of the day the demonstrators at Parkhead have the right not to wear the poppy but they have no right to callously insult the feelings of many grieving families and the memories of the dead.

Quote Originally Posted by McIntosh View Post
    I've always found it amusing that tenth generation descendants of Irish immigrants still consider themselves more Irish than the Irish. It is really quite pathetic that whilst Ireland has resolved many of historical issues these people are holding on to it - this has more to do with their own illusionary self-image than any meaningful issue of substance. It is all very sad but ultimately it is psychosomatic of the deep insecurity of these people - they are more to be pitied than despised.
    At the end of the day the demonstrators at Parkhead have the right not to wear the poppy but they have no right to callously insult the feelings of many grieving families and the memories of the dead.
    Particularly given their clubs history and lack of involvement in the Irish issues, unlike ourselves.

It's all nonsense whipped up to make money, a Scottish club with a load of Scottish fans obsessed with Ireland.

And whether you agree with Afghanistan, Iraq or whatever else, it's no bad thing to pay some respect to those who died in those conflicts, never mind the World Wars.

It's all well and good Celtic finally coming down on it now, where was the security or the stewards during the game? Why did it take till tonight? Have they condemned their fanbase for making death threats against referees yet?

Of course nothing will happen to them though, never does. And yet they are STILL paranoid that everyones out to get them.

Madness.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JackRegan View Post
    I just wish these numbnuts would learn to spell.

No Poppies on the hoops. Thankfully this is the last year.
    So do you agree with their sentiment or are you a poppy appeal supporter?

That’s a good post.

I suppose they're a bit like the millions overseas who claim Scottish heritage but these diluted Irishfolks spread hatred and bigotry.
    Space to let

i don't agree with the protest but i don't understand on what basis Celtic think they can ban these people. they are entitled to make their point. its one that very few will agree with, but it is still their right. or does freedom of speach not exist in football grounds? personally i can't be arsed with bringing that stuff into football grounds, but you can't just ban it.

they are Celtic fans and have a say on what goes on the club's shirt. its their club as much as some plc chairman. and i half suspect they intention is to martyr themselves in that way tbh.

if they get banned it sets a very dangerous precedent imo.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsdaft View Post
    i don't agree with the protest but i don't understand on what basis Celtic think they can ban these people. they are entitled to make their point. its one that very few will agree with, but it is still their right. or does freedom of speach not exist in football grounds? personally i can't be arsed with bringing that stuff into football grounds, but you can't just ban it.

they are Celtic fans and have a say on what goes on the club's shirt. its their club as much as some plc chairman. and i half suspect they intention is to martyr themselves in that way tbh.

if they get banned it sets a very dangerous precedent imo.
    A couple of things here.

Firstly, with freedom [of speech] comes responsibility. The responsibility of the individual to take in to account the freedom of other people living in the society which granted them that freedom in the first place.

The rules of entry into football grounds in Scotland forbids political statements. This is deemed to be a political statement they have made.

There must be a good couple of hundred folk involved with that banner, even just holding it up. I wonder how many will be banned.
    Space to let

Well said. That gets to the core of the issue here. Celtc are a Scottish football club with Irish roots (like us but later on the scene). They are not an Irish football club, and its pathetic that a gang of saloon bar romantics who've seen "The Wind that Shakes the Barley" and own a couple of Wolfetones albums can decide that they are the True Voice of the club. I'd bet the most of them have never set foot on Irish soil.

But then, their real country is not Ireland but Oireland, a mythical land of heroic rebels and warrrior poets, which doesn't resemble modern Ireland in any way. And their conception of history is one which glosses over the thousands of Irish people who fought and died in British colours in WW1, just as it glosses over de Valera's hiding behind neutrality while the rest of Europe fought Fascism. And glosses over the senior IRA men who went to Germany to seek an alliance with Hitler.

Every club has their maverick mythologists, and the section of the yam support which thinks they own the act of remembrance is just as culpable as the terrorist apologists of the "Green Brigade". The wearing of a poppy on the strip for one game near the time of Remembrance Day is a restrained and dignified tribute to those who have died.

It's a dignified and appropriate thing. Far more so than these Guinness guerillas' celebration of those who brutally and cynically murdered soldiers and civilians, British and Irish alike.

And it goes without saying that this also applies to the morons on the other side of Glasgow whose whole mythological pantheon is based on the misinterpretation of the significance of a 17th Century battle.

Hell mend them all

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    It doesn't surprise me, or particularly upset me, that there are elements within the Celtic support who are anti-Britain and consequently, anti-poppy/anti-remembrance.

What does surprise me is the unthinking, gullible sheep like behaviour of their fans.

Idiots.

Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by khib70 View Post
    Well said. That gets to the core of the issue here. Celtc are a Scottish football club with Irish roots (like us but later on the scene). They are not an Irish football club, and its pathetic that a gang of saloon bar romantics who've seen "The Wind that Shakes the Barley" and own a couple of Wolfetones albums can decide that they are the True Voice of the club. I'd bet the most of them have never set foot on Irish soil.

But then, their real country is not Ireland but Oireland, a mythical land of heroic rebels and warrrior poets, which doesn't resemble modern Ireland in any way. And their conception of history is one which glosses over the thousands of Irish people who fought and died in British colours in WW1, just as it glosses over de Valera's hiding behind neutrality while the rest of Europe fought Fascism. And glosses over the senior IRA men who went to Germany to seek an alliance with Hitler.

Every club has their maverick mythologists, and the section of the yam support which thinks they own the act of remembrance is just as culpable as the terrorist apologists of the "Green Brigade". The wearing of a poppy on the strip for one game near the time of Remembrance Day is a restrained and dignified tribute to those who have died.

It's a dignified and appropriate thing. Far more so than these Guinness guerillas' celebration of those who brutally and cynically murdered soldiers and civilians, British and Irish alike.

And it goes without saying that this also applies to the morons on the other side of Glasgow whose whole mythological pantheon is based on the misinterpretation of the significance of a 17th Century battle.

Hell mend them all
    Excellent.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post

"If you hate it so much,
    ...then why don't you go home?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Vini1875 View Post
    That is too simple and hunnish. To protest against the British ruling classes and even what the British army has done and is doing is not simply about being anti-British. My family is Irish and I live in Britain, but what is being done in Ireland, Iraq and Afghanistan is not in my name and if I was asked I would have no British troops in any of those places.

The gloryfication of war is about those in power retaining or gaining more power. It has nowt to do with defence and it is not for the benefit of the British people as a whole. The poppy appeals have become far more political than just raising some dough for ex-servicemen and women. The government sends to war but it is unwilling to take full care of them when killed or maimed.

Agree with pretty much all you say. I don't like the commercialisation of the poppy appeal either, and question why it is being bigged up so much of late.

That said, for this group to behave as if they are captives of a fascist regime, like they have no freedom to walk away is pathetic. "Your deeds", is the key for me. If they want to put that distance between themselves and the state they live in there is a very good ferry service, not to mention cheap flights from Ryanair.

The fact is these people are nothing more than inadequate misfits who are constantly looking for someone else to blame for their own failings. Britain may have oppressed Ireland in the past, but the last time I looked the Irish people were making a big deal about how they are so clever and classless and free.

The correct protest for these guys would have been to stay away from the game. They have driven a wedge between themselves and their club, not to mention Celtic supporters who are soldiers.

I am getting pretty sick of this nipping away at Britain. Not because I think this is a great place to live, but because there are places in the world where people are dying for their freedom.

These little boys should just grow up, and find a girlfriend, then they might be less interested in playing at soldiers.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    So do you agree with their sentiment or are you a poppy appeal supporter?
    Let me clear, I think the protest was a disaster carried out by self agrandising neds, who think they are political. They should be hunted, especially since this was the last year.

However I do not wear a poppy and don't agree with how it was foisted upon Celtic. Afterall it was Martin Bain who suggetsed this to Poppyscotland and it does not happen in England.

On a wider note, I feel the whole Poppy thing is using past milatry glories to justify hugley dodgy wars with which I have no truck at all. I think UK forces are being hung out to dry in a pointless war. I also feel uneasy at how it is now almost behsted that reverence be shown to our armed forces - that is wrong and worrying IMO.

Agree with pretty much all you say. I don't like the commercialisation of the poppy appeal either, and question why it is being bigged up so much of late.

That said, for this group to behave as if they are captives of a fascist regime, like they have no freedom to walk away is pathetic. "Your deeds", is the key for me. If they want to put that distance between themselves and the state they live in there is a very good ferry service, not to mention cheap flights from Ryanair.

The fact is these people are nothing more than inadequate misfits who are constantly looking for someone else to blame for their own failings. Britain may have oppressed Ireland in the past, but the last time I looked the Irish people were making a big deal about how they are so clever and classless and free.
    The correct protest for these guys would have been to stay away from the game. They have driven a wedge between themselves and their club, not to mention Celtic supporters who are soldiers.

I am getting pretty sick of this nipping away at Britain. Not because I think this is a great place to live, but because there are places in the world where people are dying for their freedom.

These little boys should just grow up, and find a girlfriend, then they might be less interested in playing at soldiers.
    Agree with this.

actually one of the main protaganists is from Ballymena, yet I know real old school Irish republican who feel as if we should just let it go and "let the Brits have their day" to quote them. these are guys who were very much involved in the "troubles" - one had his brother murdered as it happens and even they think its time to move on.

That said most of the noises made against the poppy came from the aicsc.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyS View Post
    waste of good organs every one of them
    Massive organs you could say.

Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    That 'statement' is absolutely astounding, beyond words in fact. What the f'ing hell is going through their heads when writing such tripe and, even worse, trying to justify it?!
    Thinking? justification? logic?. Away and have a lie down.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    http://willievass.photoshelter.com/g...000rTofGM7Iink

How can they be Scotlands Shame when it appears they have no shame
    Because it's Scotland that is ashamed, not Celtic.

Hell mend them all

Obsessed with the Hibees son of haggart's Avatar

Hell mend them all
    An excellent post.

I do think time is coming for some reflection on the infiltration of politics, religion etc into football grounds.

To my mind it would be better if there was no remembrance day recognition in grounds (Poppy sellers outside would be fine and people can choose whether or not they go for that. And the remembrance day ceremonies would take place at the appropriate memorials - including Macraes at Haymarket which most Hearts fans who want to remember in a non-jingoist way attend already)

Similarly I don't think there should be any minutes silence unless it is appropriate to the teams playing. The silence for the Pope at the Celtic Hearts semi for example was a pointless provocation given that every Catholic church would doubteless have its own way of paying respects (I was silent throughout it of course but it was obvious many would not respect it). The Mercer silence similarly could have been sensibly kept for another day.

A simple 'relevant and appropriate to football and the clubs playing' would be observed and respected by 99.99% IMHO - anything else and we are just looking for trouble