hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough Hibees07's Avatar

Can colin calderwood turn this around

As it say's on the tin.

This is not a 'have a go at Calderwood' thread but do you think he can turn these results around.

I personally would have hoped for at least a point from the last 2 games, now with Hearts & Rangers coming up can he get any points on the board.

I really have a fear that losing the next 2 games could demoralise the players & fans so much that it will be a major task getting out the relegation zone.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibees07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As it say's on the tin.

This is not a 'have a go at Calderwood' thread but do you think he can turn these results around.

I personally would have hoped for at least a point from the last 2 games, now with Hearts & Rangers coming up can he get any points on the board.

I really have a fear that losing the next 2 games could demoralise the players & fans so much that it will be a major task getting out the relegation zone.
    Today's performance was a complete turnaround.

We had a good shape and were well up for it all over the park. I don't think we'll be down there too long once CC gets even more time with them.

He got a performance out of De Graaf as well!

Quote Originally Posted by hibees07 View Post
    as it say's on the tin.

This is not a 'have a go at calderwood' thread but do you think he can turn these results around.

I personally would have hoped for at least a point from the last 2 games, now with hearts & rangers coming up can he get any points on the board.

yes he can

At least Calderwood has more time than McLeish and hopefully a January transfer window.

Also, If we are to ship the greater majority of the players out of contract in the summer good signings will be needed to ensure some decent form next year. I imagine, initially, we might see some good hard English Championship type players to make us hard to beat. I don't see stylish attacking play until we get more points on the Board.

Really think he can... The improvement Today against last week was tenfold.... We looked more like a unit today, and were unfortunate to say the least.... Poor result, but a great deal of positives to be taken....

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstu View Post
    yes he can

The problems run deeper than those that a week and a half of training can solve. Calderwood is, IMHO, a manager that can get the simple things done well - which is exactly what is needed just now.

His first task is to steady the ship - the next couple of games are going to be very tough for him, but not impossible. So long as the performances keep improving, we'll be ok.

He needs to improve the squad come January, though - of that there is no question.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

CC has shown today that he is on his way to sorting the defence out! That's a real step forward.

We are restricted with our strikers and fielding Deeks as the only striker was a forced choice!

The midget midfield will take longer to sort out, but getting de Graaf back to a decent performance was a plus. A much bigger plus will come when he can get Miller back to his known quality form!!

Why slag the Manager when he is committed with this squad till Jan 31 at least?

Today was progress. Accept it and move on!

I believe he can. The fans need to stick with him though, those that were at the game today seem to recognise an improvement already and it sounds like we were unlucky.

The next couple of games will be tough and we could lose them both (I don't think we will though), but we need to be patient. Next round of fixtures we should hopefully see an improvement in both performances and points accumulated, the team and manager need the support now more than ever if they are going to turn it around.

It will probably depend on whether Petrie gives CC a realistic budget and does not run true to form where he has pulled the rug from under previous managers by selling off star players and then providing a meagre fraction of the proceeds for the incumbent to reinvest in replacements.

Cue Petrie brown nosers to come on here defending Rod's fiscal prudence and ignoring his pivotal role in our decline on the field

Faxed Back to Kaunas
    Quote Originally Posted by joebakerforever View Post
    It will probably depend on whether Petrie gives CC a realistic budget and does not run true to form where he has pulled the rug from under previous managers by selling off star players and then providing a meagre fraction of the proceeds for the incumbent to reinvest in replacements.

Cue Petrie brown nosers to come on here defending Rod's fiscal prudence and ignoring his pivotal role in our decline on the field
    Easy now....or you will be accused of being a Jambo...and I agree with everything you have said re the investment on the field and the lack of ambition by the board.

As it say's on the tin.

It seems to be a wee bit similar to when McLeish took over. I'm not saying we'll go down. McLeish came in later on in the season. But this team needs quite a bit of fixing which aint going to happen in two or three weeks.

What he doesn't need is fans questioning his abilities after two games.

The new manager says he has been given a 'perfect budget' by RP (and the Board) and yet you see fit to slag RP needlessly.

@hibs.net private member thebakerboy's Avatar

Petrie's problem is that I don't see any star players to sell now and I include Deek in that , so now we have to develop a team on the park from somewhere , where I don't know but have to hope the loanee's will come back to be stars.

Quote Originally Posted by ancienthibby View Post
    The new manager says he has been given a 'perfect budget' by RP (and the Board) and yet you see fit to slag RP needlessly.

Aye just ignore the "perfect budgets" Rod has handed down previously - like to quantify the amount, or have I missed the actual figure being quoted ?

If you think Rod's previous on player reinvestment has been acceptable then you must be another deluded Petrie happy clapper

If we continue to improve in terms of organisation and effort in the coming weeks as we have in the first week, then we'll do okay. I think 4th or even 3rd is still a realistic target.

I think Calderwood is our first manager in a long time to realise that while we have a decent squad by SPL standards, it isn't good enough to pass teams of the park. We haven't had that pace and verve since Mowbrays young golden generation, and Collins, Hughes and possibly even Mixu, to some extent, failed because they tried to deliver that kind of football with personnel who simply went good enough.

That said, organised, playing with a recognized system and with players in position, we are way better than most dross in that League.

Aye just ignore the "perfect budgets" Rod has handed down previously - like to quantify the amount, or have I missed the actual figure being quoted ?

If you think Rod's previous on player reinvestment has been acceptable then you must be another deluded Petrie happy clapper
    You need a severe wake-up call!!

All the managers make the call on players to be brought in, not RP.

You (being a newcomer) should check thread history and you will find that it is the last 4 or 5 managers that have brought in dubious player quality.

You could also check and you would find that the Board has created the finest infrastructure for Hibs, in part at the promptings of managers.

Of course why would you want to let facts get in the way of your biases?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by ancienthibby View Post
    You need a severe wake-up call!!

All the managers make the call on players to be brought in, not RP.

You (being a newcomer) should check thread history and you will find that it is the last 4 or 5 managers that have brought in dubious player quality.

You could also check and you would find that the Board has created the finest infrastructure for Hibs, in part at the promptings of managers.

Of course why would you want to let facts get in the way of your biases?
    You're wasting your time - there are people who will refuse to ever acknowledge the circumstances and reasons behind the board's actions, will refuse to acknowledge that we're at breaking point with what we're spending at the moment, and refuse to see the reason that there is a limit on how much we spend.

It's far easier to start shouting about empty shiny new stands etc.

Nobody can disagree that we should sign a better calibre of player. Ask any fan of any club on the planet and they'd say the same. Actually looking at the reality of it and seeing why we've signed at the level we have recently is a different story, even then, it's ignoring the relatively big investments made in securing Miller, Stokes, Riordan etc
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Today's performance was a complete turnaround.

We had a good shape and were well up for it all over the park. I don't think we'll be down there too long once CC gets even more time with them.

He got a performance out of De Graaf as well!
    Agreed mate. I thought we played really well today and were unlucky not to take one point, maybe even three.

If nothing else he has the team organised.

I think we have enough in the back four + support, the midfield did well, based on today I would be tempted to put murray in for Rankin and up front I think we will struggle until Nish/Duffy are available.

All in all while I am disapointed with the result saw enough to make me think we have a shot at taking some points next week.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    He will certainly steady the ship and stop leaking so many goals, We wont be in danger of relegation imo, But this team has its work cut out making the top 6 ,Again imo.

We need a couple new faces in January. Im certainly right behind CC and i do believe he is the man to take us forward, He just needs to get rid of the dross and assemble his sqaud in the summer.

Faxed Back to Kaunas
    Calderwood can turn this around. He is exactly the type of guy we needed, organisation and results first, pretty football second.

There was a marked improvement today, no way did we deserve to come away with nothing. Team looked more balanced, we are just a bit short up front which is no fault of Calderwood's. If we can start getting ourselves in front in games I don't think we will lose to many.

What worries me next week is that there could be a hell of a lot of empty spaces in the stands, hardly going to inspire our players who are already short of confidence. We need all the support we can get yet the club, as usual, will do very little to get any extra through the gates.

Faxed Back to Kaunas

Totally agree with you Joe,dont think Calderwood can turn this around with the players that are available to him,Petrie will have to show more ambition on the playing side or we will be in deep trouble.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Not with these players imho. It sems to me we are seeing the little bit of upturn we all see with a new manager, a little better performance yet another defeat. Normally you get a win or two when a new man comes in, but not this time it seems. It wont be long before normal service continues, these players are not good enough for any better imho, and now it seems we missed Nish. How bad have we got when we miss that numpty?

I believe we need other players in January and the summer. Middle of the table at best for this lot, at worst a relegation battle.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Not with these players imho. It sems to me we are seeing the little bit of upturn we all see with a new manager, a little better performance yet another defeat. Normally you get a win or two when a new man comes in, but not this time it seems. It wont be long before normal service continues, these players are not good enough for any better imho, and now it seems we missed Nish. How bad have we got when we miss that numpty?

I believe we need other players in January and the summer. Middle of the table at best for this lot, at worst a relegation battle.
    Would not be bothered for January signings I think we have a team good enough to compete this year.

Why based on todays performance would you think that we will be in a relegation battle?

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    As it say's on the tin.

**** aye , much better the day and when we beat the pink mob next sunday we will turn our season around GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Albion Hibs View Post
    Would not be bothered for January signings I think we have a team good enough to compete this year.

Why based on todays performance would you think that we will be in a relegation battle?
    Well unless its gone unnoticed, we lost again. We are sitting 3rd from bottom that is a battle for relegation in my book.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Well unless its gone unnoticed, we lost again. We are sitting 3rd from bottom that is a battle for relegation in my book.

Result, agreed not the ideal - dont know when in our time as a team we thought we would go to places like Dundee and take an easy win.

You said with these players we may be in for a relegation fight, I was asking about todays performance and your thoughts on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Albion Hibs View Post

Result, agreed not the ideal - dont know when in our time as a team we thought we would go to places like Dundee and take an easy win.

You said with these players we may be in for a relegation fight, I was asking about todays performance and your thoughts on that?
    Not there today, did not see the performance.

First Team Breakthrough 07hibee's Avatar
    Heard the defence was rock solid,only mistake leading to the goal,surely thats a good sign?

Testimonial Due bighairyfaeleith's Avatar
    I reckon he can do it, didn't see the game today but what I heard on the radio suggested we played more as a team today than last week, so I think he is starting to make progress.

Personally I'm not going to pay any attention to results until the end of november, save me going demented

First Team Breakthrough hibby67's Avatar
    lets not panic
    i was not at the game but it sounded a better display and more of a team effort
    i will look at it as a progression from last week...... if we can get another progression in the next few weeks then i will be happy......
    i am sure he will turn this around but it will take a bit of time....