hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Facebook...

Coaching Staff

Facebook...

Anyone else had a facebook account then closed it?

I recently took myself off facebook. The main reason being is that I can't really see the point of it yet it becomes fairly compulsive to check it and keep it up to date. By the time I closed it down, I had around 170/180 friends.

But when it came to telling people that I was closing my account and giving them details on how to contact me in the life beyond, it really boiled down to a list of 20-30 people. They were folks that I had a genuine and realistic interest in hearing from and seeing from time to time. The vast majority of those people were folks I see fairly often anyway.

What, if anything, is the real point of facebook?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I recently took myself off facebook. The main reason being is that I can't really see the point of it yet it becomes fairly compulsive to check it and keep it up to date. By the time I closed it down, I had around 170/180 friends.

But when it came to telling people that I was closing my account and giving them details on how to contact me in the life beyond, it really boiled down to a list of 20-30 people. They were folks that I had a genuine and realistic interest in hearing from and seeing from time to time. The vast majority of those people were folks I see fairly often anyway.

It's a glorified address book as far as I can see. It has been useful in getting me in touch with a people whom I lost contact with. It has also been a nuisance as it me in touch with a people whom I lost contact with but forgot why.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    It's a glorified address book as far as I can see. It has been useful in getting me in touch with a people whom I lost contact with. It has also been a nuisance as it me in touch with a people whom I lost contact with but forgot why.
    Indeed so! Life on the outside feels pretty good. I don't have to pick my way through various people's status updates in order to find the limited nuggets of interest... and I have the email addresses of people I would want to be in contact with. I just thought it's an enormous waste of a lot of people's time.

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Interesting. You've got to ask yourself why you ended up with 180 friends in the first place. Surely you knew who you were interested in and who you weren't? Why did you accept the others as friends?

I'm on Facebook but I'm quite choosy about who I accept/invite. I think it's great!

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    I genuinely think i'm the only person my age without a Facebook account, it really doesnt interest me. There's actually folk in some kind of group protesting on Facebook for me to set one up. It just doesn't appeal to me.

I've mates completely addicted to it. Sitting in the pub and they're checking it? All very sad.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Quote Originally Posted by .sean. View Post
    I genuinely think i'm the only person my age without a Facebook account, it really doesnt interest me. There's actually folk in some kind of group protesting on Facebook for me to set one up. It just doesn't appeal to me.

I've mates completely addicted to it. Sitting in the pub and they're checking it? All very sad.
    Agree entirely with this. I am on Facebook, but use it only when I'm faffing about at home/on my lunch at work. It's useful to see what people have been up to, and especially to keep in touch with mates with whom it would otherwise have been tricky to keep in touch with.

After my ERASMUS year, I made tons of mates from all over the joint, and went to Mexico after graduating. I managed to get in touch with 3 of them on Fbook, and so ended up seeing them on the other side of the world (sort of) which was pretty cool.

But you're right, a lot of people take it way, way too far. All this plethora of stupid games/apps about building farms of being a ninja/pirate/jedi. I've got literally 50+ invitations/alerts about that sort of ***** that lie unread, which is how they'll stay.

Quote Originally Posted by .sean. View Post
    As opposed to posting 2000+ times on a football message board?

I think a lot of it depends on individual circumstances.

I've lived in 4 different cities; Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Seville and Barcelona, so i've got mates dotted about all over the place. Facebook is a fantastic tool for keeping in touch and arranging get togethers, reunions and so on. It's also good fun for a bit of banter with mates at lunchtime, quiet periods at work.

On saying that i find it utterly pathetic when people measure how good a night out is by how many pictures they can take to stick on facebook the next day. A lot, if not all, the apps and games hold little or no interest for me but each to their own. I'm sure a lot of people that enjoy them would find my interest in posting on a football message board equally silly.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by NYHibby View Post

Sean has just got owned
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I use it, but I'm VERY selective about who I have on it (with HibbyScott and H18sry being the exceptions ).

An example - I was very good mates with a guy, but didn't really know/get on with his girlfriend - we tried going to the cinema/out for dinner as 2 couples, but I never got on with her. She added me on Facebook and twice I declined - as a result, he took a major huff, accused me of "playing God" and we no longer speak

Anyway, I use mine for more than just the social aspect - I have a lot of colleagues from Universities across the world - I use it to not only maintain contact (as sadly, some people respond to Facebook comments quicker than emails ), but use it to store fieldwork photos online, share data files and arrange conferences/workshops through the "Events" option.

All of this can be done through a good email system, but so many people are on Facebook so frequently, it's a very useful tool/website.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Left by mutual consent!
    I have an account however a few days ago i took the huff with it and got my mum to change the password (she doesn't use a computer) to anything she wants and not to tell me what it is.

It is compulsive and i found myself just sitting with it on for no reason really at all.

It is good to keep in touch with people and to chat with old friends but it can also be very anti-social when meeting with folk as you have already read everything they have done recently.

I have just been told that when you close you're account it doesn't delete entirely and should you want to start it up again all you're photos etc remain. Contemplating just deleting it some time soon.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Cod Flanders
    I have it and check it pretty regularly. Though it is starting to piss me off. I have about 350 friends on it but the majority are folk from school who I couldn't care less what they're up to. People who update their status every few minutes are pathetic. Also, I hate when you meet someone at a party/night out and speak for 5-10 minutes and then they add you.

Mine is either Neds from school talking about how much they love their baby, supernoodles or life or post some crappy lyric that makes them look 'cultured' and 'deep' when in reality, they look like fuds. One girl at my school joined the group Nandos and 420 other pages. Get a life!

I think once I go through all my 'freinds' and delete the ones I don't care for I will go back to liking it.

@hibs.net private member Hibbie_Cameron's Avatar
    I have/had an account which i have not signed into for months upon months. Tend just to text or phone people. It has been good for getting in touch with people i lost contact with from uni but for the most part i have most of folks contact details anyway. Even when i did use it, it was very rarely.

I know people who are never off it and check it on their mobile umpteen times a day etc. Just comes across as sad imo

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    What's facebook?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I use it a fair bit, and generally accept most of the friend requests I get (but not all).

I like it because for all I know everyone on my friends list to some degree, there's loads that I don't know that I've since found out - shared music/film/lifestyle tastes, senses of humour that just aren't apparent when you only loosely know someone.

That, and I can keep in touch with good friends that I don't have time to see now that I have commitments at home, and it allows me to keep interested friends and family up to date on what's going on with my kids.

I would say that without exception, I have a better relationship with all the people on my facebook than before they were on it - it's a good thing, IMHO.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

I came out of it about six months ago. Originally I thought it would be a good way to keep in touch with family. Most of them were nephews and nieces half my age.

I became disillusioned with it.

The main reason was that I was astounded at how shallow and pathetic the messages were. And these were people I was related to.

I quickly exited and went back to pretending they were just the nice kids I'd always known.

I use it and like it cos most of my friends do too. I work nights so it's a good way to keep upnwith what they've been up to. Also know a fair few people who live abroad.

Twitter is way better though.

First Team Breakthrough deeks01's Avatar
    facebook is class , I use it a lot as the majority of my friends are on it and its a good way to keep in touch and organize last minute days/nights out! people who update their status's every 2 minutes are bugging but you learn to ignore them and farmville etc are ****in buggin tbh but again you get to just ignore that crap , I've heard people say its sad as it keeps younger folks indoors and thats rubbish as most of the things I do are organized last minute through fb. Its also good for getting embarassing drunken photos of your mates made public hehe , although I agree people who judge somethings succesfulness (is that a word?) need a dictionary now) by the amount of photos for fb are rather sad.

Anyhow to sum up , if you don't like facebook then don't use it. Simples. If your one of those people who then get annoyed at people using/talking about it then that makes you a very sad case indeed imo!

Facebook FTW!!! :

the world needs to lighten up eh , peace mon! :D lol

Ggtth :) xxxxx

Slightly addicted to it myself, although I don't really do THAT much on there...

I do hate people who update their status with crappy quotes...as stated earlier in the thread re: song lyrics etc.

I also do have various people on there who aren't really 'friends'...but who cares really.

Like others I've travelled a bit so use it to keep in touch with people I can't see often.

Apart from that I cannot stand the thing. Wasting time reading crap like "OMG SO DRUNK LAST NIGHT" and " DOMINOES TWO FOR TUESDAYS BANTER" really gets on my tats now. And don't even get me started on the women who add 100's to album's called "just posin.."

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hainan Hibs View Post
    Like others I've travelled a bit so use it to keep in touch with people I can't see often.

Apart from that I cannot stand the thing. Wasting time reading crap like "OMG SO DRUNK LAST NIGHT" and " DOMINOES TWO FOR TUESDAYS BANTER" really gets on my tats now. And don't even get me started on the women who add 100's to album's called "just posin.."
    i like to call that the **** bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Jevitt View Post
    I have it and check it pretty regularly. Though it is starting to piss me off. I have about 350 friends on it but the majority are folk from school who I couldn't care less what they're up to. People who update their status every few minutes are pathetic. Also, I hate when you meet someone at a party/night out and speak for 5-10 minutes and then they add you.

Mine is either Neds from school talking about how much they love their baby, supernoodles or life or post some crappy lyric that makes them look 'cultured' and 'deep' when in reality, they look like fuds. One girl at my school joined the group Nandos and 420 other pages. Get a life!

I think once I go through all my 'freinds' and delete the ones I don't care for I will go back to liking it.
    Top post Jevitt! Sounds like the same as mine. I just "hide" people who update their status' too much, unless they post amusing things.

I travel around a bit so it's good to keep in touch with friends in other parts of the world. Also when i'm abroad I can upload photos to photo albums that only I can see and use it as storage!

Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post

Yep, had one for a few days.

Closed it down when I realised that people from work who had "added me" could see any comments written on my wall by certain people I'd added that aren't exactly model citizens - thats the beauty of social network websites, you suddenly find that your speaking with people that you "broke apart from" in the past or people that you on occassion have a chat with if you meet them up town, which you don't neccessarily want to be commonly associated with.

Gossiping is bad enough at my work without everyone talking about your personal life (or what they perceive as your personal life) as well.

Instead of creating some stupid problem that can't be solved without causing someone to be offended, I simply closed my account.

No thank you.
    Last edited by Dinkydoo; 26-10-2010 at 05:53 PM.

First Team Breakthrough Whos-the-poster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    Slightly addicted to it myself, although I don't really do THAT much on there...

I do hate people who update their status with crappy quotes...as stated earlier in the thread re: song lyrics etc.

I also do have various people on there who aren't really 'friends'...but who cares really.
    Exactly the same with me dude.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    What's facebook?
    cyber havering for sad acts - you sure you don't know it?

First Team Breakthrough bandylegs_jLeighton's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: dmcattack
    I hate facebook.

Anti social and creepy.

Why should my face be plastered all over the Internet in photos from personal events or wild nights so Plooky Stacey - who happened to be in my Art class at school 10 years ago - can cast her bug eyes all over them?

...and that's without me even having an account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Agree entirely with this. I am on Facebook, but use it only when I'm faffing about at home/on my lunch at work. It's useful to see what people have been up to, and especially to keep in touch with mates with whom it would otherwise have been tricky to keep in touch with.

After my ERASMUS year, I made tons of mates from all over the joint, and went to Mexico after graduating. I managed to get in touch with 3 of them on Fbook, and so ended up seeing them on the other side of the world (sort of) which was pretty cool.

But you're right, a lot of people take it way, way too far. All this plethora of stupid games/apps about building farms of being a ninja/pirate/jedi. I've got literally 50+ invitations/alerts about that sort of ***** that lie unread, which is how they'll stay.
    Exactly the same reason I got/keep it

Quote Originally Posted by NYHibby View Post
    Seany boy just got destroyed

Don't have it and don't want it. Reckon it would cost me no end of probs if I'm honest.

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Aye me too. Life is too complicated already.