hibs.net Messageboard

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lofarl

I wish they would bring back the Tennents Sixies.

Used to love watching it as a laddie was brilliant fun.

Could not find any with Hibs in them on youtube but heres a game to give anyone who does not know about it an idea of what it was like.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Lofarl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Used to love watching it as a laddie was brilliant fun.

Could not find any with Hibs in them on youtube but heres a game to give anyone who does not know about it an idea of what it was like.

They still have an english version i think, i loved them too, brings back good memories

johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    I remember staying up late the year we won it - anyone remember what year? Around 86?

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    I remember staying up late the year we won it - anyone remember what year? Around 86?
    1990 possibly i'm sure it was the 90's

Think it was 89?

Good shout

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Quiet_Man View Post
    Good shout

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    Tennents Sixes ran from 1984-1993, Hibs were winners in 1990.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WormyEel
    loved watchin it and remember really struggling to stay awake to see us winning it as a 10 year old. would love it to come back.
    anyone remember if it was played during the season? was this one of the reasons it stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by RickyS View Post
    loved watchin it and remember really struggling to stay awake to see us winning it as a 10 year old. would love it to come back.
    anyone remember if it was played during the season? was this one of the reasons it stopped?
    Think it was played around January/February. Tennents dropped their sponsorship of the event after the 1993 event which was why it stopped. Anyone else remember the bizarre incident during a Hibs v Celtic game where the ref gave a foul to Celtic cause Hibs were keeping the ball.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AFKA5814_Hibs View Post
    Think it was played around January/February. Tennents dropped their sponsorship of the event after the 1993 event which was why it stopped. Anyone else remember the bizarre incident during a Hibs v Celtic game where the ref gave a foul to Celtic cause Hibs were keeping the ball.
    vaguely remember something along those lines, totally absurd

Quote Originally Posted by AFKA5814_Hibs View Post
    I remember being enraged about that It was classed as 'not being in the spirit of the game' or something. Ridiculous. That was the turning point for that game and we lost it.

Testimonial Due bighairyfaeleith's Avatar
    loved the tennents sixes, would be great to see it brought back. could be played during a winter break

What year was that Celtic game? Remember that so well, Hibs just passing it about and then that @rse Andrew Waddell gives a free kick for time wasting and Celtic equalised within seconds. First taste of Old Firm bias. In a six a side game.

First Team Breakthrough emmjayfox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RicheyWhite View Post
    What year was that Celtic game? Remember that so well, Hibs just passing it about and then that @rse Andrew Waddell gives a free kick for time wasting and Celtic equalised within seconds. First taste of Old Firm bias. In a six a side game.
    Go into the four in hand on matchdays and kano has the tennents sixes on the tv.

Andrew Waddell was a passionate jambo i believe.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    could be an excellent way of encouraging technical development in younger players - bring it back!

Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    could be an excellent way of encouraging technical development in younger players - bring it back!
    Did Bill Crombie, another hertz fanatic, not do the time wasting free kick or booking against a hibs man too?

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wright Jnr View Post
    Did Bill Crombie, another hertz fanatic, not do the time wasting free kick or booking against a hibs man too?
    Bill crombie is a yam he was the ref when yams lost the league in 86 lol

Loved the Tennents Sixes as a young boy and remember, as has been said by a previous poster, the first and most blatant example of anti-Hibs/pro Old Firm bias being the award of the free kick against us for keeping the ball.

IIRC, two teams went through from each section. Celtic were top and would go through to the semis if they avoided a heavy defeat in their final group game against Hibs. Hibs were third and needed to beat Celtic by two clear goals to leapfrog St Johnstone and secure the second qualifying spot.

Hibs were 2-0 and cruising. The result suited both sides and, as Hibs were keeping the ball, the ref gave a foul against us for not playing in the spirit of the game. In the confusion that followed the award of the free-kick, Celtic scored and the match finished 2-1, thereby eliminating Hibs.

The fact was that Hibs were not interested in attacking, but Celtic weren't interested in tackling, so why did they deserve a free-kick?

It was a ridiculous decision and one that the ref/SFA could get away with a lot easier in those days. IIRC it was Chick Young who was pitchside with the rule book, tasked with explaining to the studio panel and the viewing audience what rule the ref had blown based on. I'm sure the wording was along the lines of "the referee can award a foul against any player whose actions are deemed to be contrary to the spirit of the game".

I don't think a lot of the managers would allow for this to happen nowadays, just in case the precious players get injured etc. Most football players in the modern era would be a bit hesitant to play too imo, unless they got a big wad of money or something, selfish barstewards.

It was great fun, my football team went through to watch it one year, can't remember who won it though.

The year we won it was the year we beat Hearts on pens at some point?
    I remember Gorams interviews after we had just won the pens, and he was asked who he'd like to play in the final, he said Hearts again

It was a great tournament and good fun.

There's the masters that goes on still, but it's not the same seeing ex players with beer bellys and dodgy knees etc. Also the Scottish masters never seems to get as much advertising on sky, I think Hibs got to the finals 7 or 8 years ago and lost to Man UTD. Just aint the same as the T6s. Bring it back

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar

I remember that game very very well

Hibs passing the ball about taking the pish and like you say that ersehole of a ref gave Celtc a freekick, Truly unbelievable.

It was 1993. Found this wee link about it.

http://thehiblog.files.wordpress.com...ixes250193.jpg

First Team Breakthrough
    check oot the tache, eat yer heart oot Rod

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Tenacious-Daz
    Quote Originally Posted by Mango Kid View Post
    I don't think a lot of the managers would allow for this to happen nowadays, just in case the precious players get injured etc. Most football players in the modern era would be a bit hesitant to play too imo, unless they got a big wad of money or something, selfish barstewards.

It was great fun, my football team went through to watch it one year, can't remember who won it though.
    But nowadays you have the 3G pitches that are far superior to playing on that carpet ***** and I'm pretty sure most teams will train on the stuff when the weather is pish anyway, so it wouldn't be as if they weren't used to playing on it!

Personally I would love a T6's revival.

Quote Originally Posted by alex74 View Post
    It was 1990.

I kept it on tape for a couple of years, wish I had kept it now! Paul Kane was the main star, scoring loads of goals, Collins, Goram, McGinlay, Weir and a few others were playing, so we had a good team.

Would love to see it back, maybe if we finally get a winters break we could have a tournament in early January again.

1990 according to the ever reliable wikipedia

Did they not do something similar in the 70's (and possibly 60's)? I'm sure my Father in Law had told me that Hibs used to always do well in these tournaments as we had a collection of the most skillful individual players at the time. Thats the opinion of a currant bun too btw!

*edit* Another thing I've just remembered, had Rangers not dropped out by 1990 as they were sponsered by McEwans Lager so a 1st division team was pulled in to take their place.
    Last edited by vein; 16-10-2010 at 07:40 PM.

check out the Fiat Uno advertising board! Not seen an Uno on the roads for years now!

Going back even further, does anyone remember the Meadowbank 5-a-side tourney?

Hibs and other teams like the Yams, Dundee Utd, Berwick, Meadowbank and Cowdenbeath, amongst others, took part. Must have been around 1980-82? I remember going to a couple of tourney's there and sitting right in amongst players. Was it the Skol Festival or something?

The Tennents Sixes was magic though, summin to look forward to in bleakest January.