hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: X Factor

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar

X Factor

I'm sure most people won't really care. But who do you reckon should be booted out 1st week?

Wagner and Belle Amie for me.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by AFKA5814_Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure most people won't really care. But who do you reckon should be booted out 1st week?

Yep, they were the two for me.

Mary and Aiden were the best out of what was a pretty ordinary and weird first show.

I was expecting a short bus journey but I went through a long-haul flight!

I don't know who should go but if that shy painter and decorator doesn't win there's something wrong.

I'm a straight man but I could listen to that guy sing all night. I almost want him to start getting into all that falseto stuff.

Forget everyone else...he is what this show should be all about. A real talent that is too shy to make it normally, takes a punt and get recognised.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Wagner and 1 Direction.

Left by mutual consent!
    One of the guys, think he had shades on. He was murder. The best was Mary, I hope she wins but it's unlikely. She needs more songs like that to stay in but might struggle singing boyband pish later in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody1985 View Post
    One of the guys, think he had shades on. He was murder. The best was Mary, I hope she wins but it's unlikely. She needs more songs like that to stay in but might struggle singing boyband pish later in the show.
    That Mary was good but I couldn't get away from the original song.

To be honest it's embarrassing when the real performing artists come in during the final and show a lot of them up for what they are...karaoke performers. I've yet to see one act outperform their professional helper.

I think this Cardle boy might be the exception though. I think if he gets going he will compliment anyone who is with him.

Quote Originally Posted by peterdouglas View Post
    I was expecting a short bus journey but I went through a long-haul flight!

I don't know who should go but if that shy painter and decorator doesn't win there's something wrong.

I'm a straight man but I could listen to that guy sing all night. I almost want him to start getting into all that falseto stuff.

Forget everyone else...he is what this show should be all about. A real talent that is too shy to make it normally, takes a punt and get recognised.
    That guy, Matt, wasn't brilliant tonight but his version of The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face in the boot camp was probably the best vocal I've heard on this show.

He should win given the right songs. I didn't think that was for him tonight though.

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    The whole thing is past it's sell by date for me - that's why they have resorted to adding the twists. The freaks in the auditions are funny but that tonight was a bit embarrasing imo.

We got better entertainment last night from Prague.

@hibs.net private member Hibbie_Cameron's Avatar
    Agree with 65bd in that its past its sell by date.

The best singer in the whole competition is the lassie Gamu and she never even got to the live shows, thats how much trash its become.

The whole show is about the judges getting one over each other.

Dont even get me started on that dancing show

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'd empty that talentless wannabe who is copying Lady GaGa - Katie Something. "There's no one like me, I'm unique", actually she's wrong.

All mouth, got a helping hand through the audtions because Cheryl "Ah Really Feel That" Cole, made the mistake of trying to be clever.

Cole is starting to be shown up as somebody with nothing to offer in this series. All it took was for Cowell to stop telling her what to say and she is flapping about.

I don't like Cheryl, because she typifies the presentation over content approach. Millions of wee schemettes see her as a role model, when she has no artistic ability, and struggles to speak English that other people can understand.

What better representative for a generation who expect instant gratification, and to be rewarded regardless of their abilities. If people can get a house without working, then why shouldn't they be stars when they can't sing/dance/make people laugh?

When she is confronted by real talent, like wee Gamu, she turns her nose up because they don't look cool enough. Cheryl Cole is the leading light of the DFS generation.
    Last edited by Phil D. Rolls; 10-10-2010 at 12:54 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hibbie_Cameron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    I'd empty that talentless wannabe who is copying Lady GaGa - Katie Something. "There's no one like me, I'm unique", actually she's wrong.

All mouth, got a helping hand through the audtions because Cheryl "Ah Really Feel That" Cole, made the mistake of trying to be clever.

Cole is starting to be shown up as somebody with nothing to offer in this series. All it took was for Cowell to stop telling her what to say and she is flapping about.

I don't like Cheryl, because she typifies the presentation over content approach. Millions of wee schemettes see her as a role model, when she has no artistic ability, and struggles to speak English that other people can understand.

When she is confronted by real talent, like wee Gamu, she turns her nose up because they don't look cool enough. Cheryl Cole is the leading light of the DFS generation.

Quote Originally Posted by AFKA5814_Hibs View Post

You could reel them off - Wagner, Belle Amie, Nicolo, Katie, 1 Direction, those two creepy camp chaps that Cowell put through for some reason, ... To pick two, probably Wagner and either Nicolo or Katie, simply for being cocky, mouthy sods with very little talent to show for it. She's not going to go, but I can't stand that lass Cher either

I've thankfully managed to avoid it for the last few years, and had planned to do likewise this year, before I came across Aiden Grimshaw and Matt Cardle. Can't get enough of their voices at the minute. I also agree that Mary's vocals were pretty good last night, though I'm no great fan of hers.

Left by mutual consent!
    Aiden looks like he's having a fit when he sings. Freaky

Wagner and Diva Fever through

What better representative for a generation who expect instant gratification, and to be rewarded regardless of their abilities. If people can get a house without working, then why shouldn't they be stars when they can't sing/dance/make people laugh?

Possibly the best post i have ever read on here.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riordans Boots View Post
    Wagner and Diva Fever through
    Wagner is filling the car crash TV slot vacated by Jedward (who incidentally have done a lot better than that bore who won it last year).

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Possibly the best post i have ever read on here.
    Thanks, that's very kind.

X Factor is not simply a competition to find the best singer, it's a competition to find "a pop star" or, to be more accurate, someone who will sell a lot of records.

In that regard, Cheryl Cole is employed to reject someone who she doesn't believe is "cool enough". So basically, by your statement above, you're actually agreeing that Cheryl has made the right choice.

@hibs.net private member LALthehibeeGAL's Avatar

couldnae put it better myself -

total pants this year it is and always has been about the judges and Simon v. Louis etc... well past its sell by date.

Lal

Katie FTW.

Rebecca or Cher to win

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    There's nobody in this years show with the x factor imho. This lot are very poor, with a couple of average singers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    X Factor is not simply a competition to find the best singer, it's a competition to find "a pop star" or, to be more accurate, someone who will sell a lot of records.

In that regard, Cheryl Cole is employed to reject someone who she doesn't believe is "cool enough". So basically, by your statement above, you're actually agreeing that Cheryl has made the right choice.
    Not really, they are looking for someone who has the "X Factor", Cheryl has a very limited understanding of what that is. She is formulaic, and doesn't seem to be able to empathise with the fact that quirkiness is more likely to win through than chain store cool.

On a serious note, Cheryl looked pretty unwell on Sunday's programme. I get the impression she's far from over her bout of malaria.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty

While I dont doubt that Gamu is a better singer than Cher or Katie, I cant help but think that her 'talent' has been blown way out of proportion due to the tabloids. The fat lad, Paige (I think thats his name) wasnt picked for the live shows, before the 'wildcard' thing, but he is a very good singer as well. No tabloid/public backlash against the decision not to take him though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    While I dont doubt that Gamu is a better singer than Cher or Katie, I cant help but think that her 'talent' has been blown way out of proportion due to the tabloids. The fat lad, Paige (I think thats his name) wasnt picked for the live shows, before the 'wildcard' thing, but he is a very good singer as well. No tabloid/public backlash against the decision not to take him though.
    I think people could see that the group he was in was much more competitive though. Cheryl put through two performers that fluffed their auditions in front of a very good singer. In the case of one Katie, she fluffed her first audition as well.

Not really, they are looking for someone who has the "X Factor", Cheryl has a very limited understanding of what that is. She is formulaic, and doesn't seem to be able to empathise with the fact that quirkiness is more likely to win through than chain store cool.
    What are you basing this on? Unless you have more experience of the financial upper echelons of the music/celebrity industry than Cheryl Cole, surely she has a better understanding of the type of person "The X Factor" is looking for than you do?

If you look at past winners of the show and their careers after emerging victorious, the only ones who have achieved any degree of success are those who have released true "pop" tracks in the market. With that in mind, can you picture Gamu as a "pop" artist?

FWIW, I think Katie's audition failures should have removed her from the competition as well, however it is still easier to picture her becoming a successful X Factor winner than Gamu.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    What are you basing this on? Unless you have more experience of the financial upper echelons of the music/celebrity industry than Cheryl Cole, surely she has a better understanding of the type of person "The X Factor" is looking for than you do?

If you look at past winners of the show and their careers after emerging victorious, the only ones who have achieved any degree of success are those who have released true "pop" tracks in the market. With that in mind, can you picture Gamu as a "pop" artist?

FWIW, I think Katie's audition failures should have removed her from the competition as well, however it is still easier to picture her becoming a successful X Factor winner than Gamu.
    Cheryl has experience of one very small sector of the music market. Let's be honest "Girls Aloud" were hardly that succesful. My argument is that she is entrenched in one way of thinking, and "the kids" are always looking for something new.

I'm sure Cheryl is absolutely perplexed by the success of GaGa or Amy Winehouse. Gamu may or may not have been a pop star but justice says she should have been given a chance.

She was more unique than the people who were chosen. Maybe the case that, with the right producer, she wouldn't be out of place on Jools Holland as opposed to Cheryl's Christmas Special, means that she is not an X Factor winner.

Cheryl is like Cilla Black, regional, working class, and a rubbish singer. But Cilla had wit and a bit of charm. Cheryl is just boring.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RAFFERTY X
    Quote Originally Posted by Riordans Boots View Post
    Rebecca or Cher to win
    Agreed

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Cheryl has experience of one very small sector of the music market. Let's be honest "Girls Aloud" were hardly that succesful. My argument is that she is entrenched in one way of thinking, and "the kids" are always looking for something new.

I'm sure Cheryl is absolutely perplexed by the success of GaGa or Amy Winehouse. Gamu may or may not have been a pop star but justice says she should have been given a chance.

She was more unique than the people who were chosen. Maybe the case that, with the right producer, she wouldn't be out of place on Jools Holland as opposed to Cheryl's Christmas Special, means that she is not an X Factor winner.

Cheryl is like Cilla Black, regional, working class, and a rubbish singer. But Cilla had wit and a bit of charm. Cheryl is just boring.

I dont really like girls aloud but they have had 20 consecutive top ten singles including 4 number 1's, 2 number 1 albums both platinum and got the best single in 2009. Not bad going for a band who really havent done anything!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty

How was she more unique? What makes her different/better/special? I don't think seeing someone a few times singing other peoples songs makes someone seem unique. She really wasnt that great a singer....she was good, but being better singer than Cher/Katie doesn't mean much.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by superhibi1 View Post
    I dont really like girls aloud but they have had 20 consecutive top ten singles including 4 number 1's, 2 number 1 albums both platinum and got the best single in 2009. Not bad going for a band who really havent done anything!
    When I talk about making a significant impact on the charts I'm comparing sales to the peak period of the 1970s. The fact that you can get a number One these days with 30,000 copies sold, a top ten hit with 13,000 and a top forty place with 2,500 sales, means that the likes of Girls aloud cannot be seriously compared to the likes of the Beatles, Abba, or even the Spice Girls.

So, no I don't think they've made much of an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    How was she more unique? What makes her different/better/special? I don't think seeing someone a few times singing other peoples songs makes someone seem unique. She really wasnt that great a singer....she was good, but being better singer than Cher/Katie doesn't mean much.
    My opinion that's all.